Page 89 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199139 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal journal : Coll page 89

Coll is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    dislike bordering on PTSD
    I can definitely relate!

We have a swarm of bees hanging off a branch of a tree just outside our front door. I am hoping and praying that it stays until hubby gets home so we can put them into our empty hive - it would be so nice for hubby as he wants to keep bees again and we have not had the money to buy any!! Too cool if it just arrived on our very doorstep - hoping they stay put and that the sun stays behind the clouds. Been running around finding all the beekeeping stuff that has been stored for a couple of years I was in a total funk before the hive arrived, this has just perked me up no end
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 13 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 227 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." Robert Frost.

What a cool afternoon! I kept popping outside and misting the swarm of bees in case they decided to fly off. They stayed and hubby and I ran around and got it all set up, cut the branch off the tree and gently deposited the whole swarm into the hive!! SO cool to get our veils on again and work with bees again. Hubby is the beekeeper, but I love assisting and seeing all the stuff ... it was such a thrill. I have also had a number of fun moments the last couple of days with the fledglings around our house. Helped a couple juvenile robins out of fixes they had landed in, put a couple juvenile sparrows back into the tree, found another with an injured leg and am waiting for the wildlife rehab to call me back. DD is in ecstasies over the little critter - just hope it makes it through the night at least ...

I ate Greek yoghurt with some nuts and honey for breakfast, cup of tea too. Lunch was a couple grassfed hotdogs, a cup of cherries and a peach (that was not worth eating ) and another cup of tea. Dinner is scrambled eggs with leftover ground beef stew over the top. I did not sleep well at all last night - even with the stuff the doc gave me and melatonin I couldn't get to sleep until after midnight. It was really frustrating as I had gone to bed at a good time ... can only try again tonight and hopefully I can get into a better rhythm as the days go by. I had a touch more energy today than I have had for a while ... just a touch, but that is at least an improvement.

"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." Robert Frost.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    How exciting about the bees! And the birds also! I hope the sparrow made it through the night. Such a good lesson for the children (probably for adults as well).

Sleep will come....zzzzz...it will come...
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Sparrow is on the way to its burial this morning with some very sad kiddos. Tried to comfort them that it died in its sleep.... many tears being shed today. On the bright side the bees appear to be happy with their new home. Of course, the landlord is not here and I am wondering what he is going to say to having bees on his property. He is so paranoid about the oddest things ... we may end up with the hive in our backyard if he can stand it. We have it out in a pasture that is unused for the moment ... landlord gets back on Tuesday I believe ... we'll see what materializes with that!

I have been keeping my carb intake below 50 g per day (most days) and I have lost 4 pounds this week! I want to focus on getting away from eating the apples and peaches and get back to berries only. And also increase my intake of greens - I have SO much in the garden and it needs to be eaten! Good reason to really chow down on the greens with fat and a little protein. I am feeling slightly better than I was a week ago. And 4 lbs lighter is much nicer than gaining more weight. I will be seeing the doc in 2 weeks and I really want to make some progress. I have noticed that after a week of taking my supplements religiously and the increased Vit D3 that my skin is starting to settle down. The lesions on my left arm are not as angry as they were - a very good thing!

Bacon and egg for breakfast, supplements all in, tea with cream X2, lunch was leftover lamb and 1/2 avocado, dinner was steak cooked on an applewood fire!!! and a big bowl of salad and then some heavenly raspberry icecream ( homemade - best I have ever made!!) DH was in ecstasies over dinner We mowed and weed whacked the front area - quite a chore. I did half and hubby did the other half. I have blisters to prove it and I am tired, but pleasantly so. We are going to move the bee hive in a little while - we need to get it more hidden so that it is more protected and hopefully the landlord will be ok with it. Got to move it onto the piece that we rent - but can only move it about 4 feet every day! If we had thought it through properly I am sure we would have just positioned it better. But when you aren't expecting to get a swarm of bees you don't have the plans all lined up and the kinks worked out. I made a feeder for the bees with bee tea in - we'll check how much they used today. I can see we might be going through a whole bunch of sugar until they are more established. Too much fun though.

It was so nice being home and the landlord being away! We could get out in the backyard and enjoy it without having to fend off the kids ... so peaceful! They'll be back tomorrow ...

Really tired tonight. We have been going to a week long activity for the kids and it is so different for us all that we are all feeling pretty pooped. Tonight hubby and I are going to move the bees to their (hopefully) 'permanent' spot - until we move or the landlord insists on a move.

We visited at a friend's place this afternoon and had lunch there. It was primal, but still heavy on the carbs and not much fat or protein. Both of the kids were asking for snacks on the way home and I felt like I ate too much today. I had a little bag of macadamias with about a tsp of raisins (I was not expecting the carbs at the friends place) and an apple and cheese on the way home. Had a small bowl of butter chicken - it was nowhere near as nice as the last batch I made Will have to try to fix it before we eat anymore of it. I know it is lacking in chili powder as I was out of that... some salt will help too. And next time I need to be sure to have all the ingredients on hand before I start cooking it up!

I was down to 209 this morning - so nice to see the numbers dropping gradually. I was feeling so bad as the numbers kept creeping upwards. Clothes kept 'shrinking' and I got more and more uncomfortable again - and felt so helpless. Those feelings are SO unhelpful!

Feeling as though I am bloated this afternoon - didn't eat anything that would have brought that on. Feeling a little 'hormonal' and almost as if Aunt Flo might drop in early. She's not due for a couple weeks yet so we'll see what happens. hopefully I wake up feeling ok in the morning and the bloat is a thing of the past.

Hubby spoke to the landlord this evening about the bees and he seems fine with us having them, though he is so clueless We chose not to enlighten him at this point, just not worth the energy expenditure sometimes to try and educate someone who isn't open. He wanted to know if having the bee hive will bring more bees to the property - I don't think he realizes that there are loads of bees all the time and this won't mean anything except that my veggie garden is going to do better (and his apple trees) as a result.

I wonder if the bloat is related to my lack of good quality sleep at the moment! I just can't fall asleep nowadays - so frustrating! I feel really tired and then once I am in bed it is as though a switch gets flipped and I can't drop off! Some nights I am taking 2 melatonin and the stuff the doc gave me to settle things down at night doesn't work at all. I guess I should keep trying ... going to hit the sack really early tonight in the hopes that even if it takes a long time to get to sleep maybe I'll be able to drop off before it gets too late. I feel so sleepy in the daytime, driving home from the kids activity this morning I had to work on staying awake!? What is that all about? I have never had an issue with getting to sleep - I have always slept very well. Have always been able to go to sleep really fast - 5 minutes used to be a long time to wait to get to sleep. Ate reasonably well today, though I did have an apple for lunch again and I had three bratwurst at dinner this evening, which was too many I know. But I was feeling as though I still needed something. I mowed the lawn for about 45 minutes today until we ran out of gas. It was really hot so I was glad that it quit when it did ... I also took the dog for a 20 + minute walk this morning.

A deer climbed the steps onto our back porch last night and inhaled pansies, geranium flowers and at least half of my beautiful grafted apple trees that were doing so nicely I never dreamed it would be bold enough to climb wooden steps (4 of them) to get to my precious plants!!!! It better hope I don't catch it messing with my stuff!

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Amazing he can be so clueless! Anyone with apple trees should know you need bees. I have a friend with an orchard - he rents bees!

A friend of mine told me that you can always tell a gardener - when they watch the film "Bambi" they cheer when Bambi's mother dies. (A bit tasteless, but murderous thoughts do occur when one finds one's garden devastated...for the fourth time in a month...)
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Lol Siobhan, I probably wouldn't go quite that far - but I am quite ready to take some pot shots with my sling shot!! Going to load everything in some habanero/ garlic spray and see if it is quite as keen to eat my plants. Yup, those are some persistent critters ... and the bunny is trying to dig under the gate to the veggie garden as well! Buster.

Very tired tonight - I am remembering why I am a home body. It is exhausting being around a lot of other people every day! Hubby is home tomorrow - yippee! So happy to be home with no agenda again...

Not sleeping well at all, I tried again the last few nights to see if the caps the doc gave me would help me getting to sleep - no way! It makes it harder for some reason. Not taking those anymore. Couldn't get to sleep last night again. After midnight before I faded out and then woke up often with hubby tossing and turning. Had to drag myself out of bed this morning.

Our new bees are looking very contented and busy which is fun. Going to open them up this weekend and see if the queen is laying eggs as she should We are seeing quite a few of them with their sacs loaded in pollen. ... just a lot of fun for us

Took a walk with the dog this morning and then busy with the kids all morning. Spent a chunk of the afternoon lying on my bed - half asleep but couldn't fall asleep....

Well, what a weekend! TMI warning! Friday afternoon I started feeling bad, ate a really small supper that I shouldn't have because I wasn't feeling hungry. Started to get a really sore stomach ache and then spent the night puking and pooping. Food poisoning - eventually figured out it was some cheese that I bought that I think had not been handled properly. No-one else had any thank heavens!!! because that was a nasty thing there. I think I pulled a muscle just below my ribs from the force of the vomiting! Feverish for a while and then slept really well Sat night and thought I was getting over it. I sipped on kefir and kombucha the whole time. Had scrambled eggs for breakfast which seemed to be fine. At lunch time DD brought me a breakfast sausage (which I should have refused but was swayed by her sweet face and the fact that my tummy felt much better) and I had some chicken broth with some veg boiled in it. Spent the afternoon running to the bathroom Slept well again last night and this morning I am trying some scrambled eggs again. Not sure what else to eat. In my old days we used to eat plain crackers after an upset stomach but that would make everything worse now! I think I will just stick with scrambled eggs and plain chicken broth. I am feeling really weak and tired. I have been putting magnesium oil on to try and replace some of what I lost and I took an Epsom salts bath with essential oils in too which seemed to help break the fever (?) Drinking herbal tea and water plus the kefir and kombucha. I really don't want to trigger anything again! I lost over 5 pounds this weekend!! But I know it was not a good way and I am sure as I rehydrate that will pick up. Of course this morning I feel like I am getting a cold and Aunt Flo has arrived!!! Talk about bad timing! Grr! Feeling rather overwhelmed with the assault. And I am thinking that I usually retain a lot of water when Aunt Flo drops in so may have lost even more than it seems.

So there is my saga of the weekend. I get up for a few minutes and then have to go and lie down again. Got to go and water my garden then it is back to bed for me! Have a good day all!