Page 88 of 150 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098138 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal journal : Coll page 88

Coll is offline Senior Member
    So, got to visit with the doc about my blood test results. Basically everything looks great - except my Vit D is super low. So I am on 10 000 units daily for a while and then gradually dropping. My cholesterol and triglicerides and LDL were all excellent, no anemia. My thyroid shows as ok TSH was 1.69 and T4 was 7.5 - but he said that my symptoms seem to indicate that I need a little boost there, so have a small dose of thyroid med to take. He has also given me some stuff to help with adrenals and sleep. My bp was slightly raised 130/70 mmHG - I wonder if that may be tied in with my lack of sleep lately. I was so tired this morning and afternoon that I almost felt like throwing up. Anyway, going to take 3 weeks of low carb and intentionally eating as well as I can, getting to bed at a good time and the meds/ supplements. We'll see how things go and I'll meet with the doc again at the end of the 3 weeks.

It is very motivating to me to see how good my bloods were ... and I feel as though I have someone in my corner helping me get out of this funk and overcome the exhaustion. I told him I have a hard time exercising when it feels as though I can barely do the basics. DH is keen to go and see this guy too now Maybe he can get help with his sleep and he is also tired all the time. I know we are both really stressed with all the stuff going on, or not going on. It is tough for him as he is working his tail off and sometimes it feels as though we are getting nowhere because so much of our finances have to go to other things that we have no control over.

I am loving our veggie garden at the moment! The two raised beds that we have are chock full of veggies. It looks so pretty and the kids are loving eating spinach and lettuce straight out of the garden. Even DS is eating some - they both exclaim over how different it is from store bought produce. We are having a heat wave this week! We got up to 96F today and close to that for the rest of the week. So we draped burlap over the gardens as everything in there likes cool weather! Nothing was looking wilted through the heat of the day so it seems to be working. Of course all I need is the wind to pick up and we'll have a mess on our hands. I have all kinds of herbs in pots and the lilacs and blue spruce trees that I got free from the Arbor day foundation are all doing well (in pots!) as are my apple tree grafts. When we moved in here I found a grape vine that was almost dead. I pruned and weeded and fertilized it and to my great delight it is developing fruit clusters!! There was a rose bush that was mostly dead too and that is covered in buds this year. Always a thrill to bring something back ...

I am drinking rooibos tea instead of black tea at the moment. My gut is not enjoying the caffeine or something with the black tea at the moment. I have organic rooibos that I buy in bulk from Frontier co-op and I know that it is really good for me. I am enjoying it with cream and a touch of stevia...

Breakfast was rather carb heavy but then today is the final day before I start my VLC 21 days. I am looking forward to getting over my carb cravings again. No bad chocolate in the house - DH just ate the last of the 'bad' icecream and I am feeling more ready to take this challenge up again. My skin condition has flared up a lot recently and is looking very angry I am hoping that the changes will reflect there too eventually. Going to try to be really diligent with my supplements, including the magnesium oil. I'll let you all know as I see changes. It will be good to document it in my journal as it makes it easier to go back and read through later and see how things progress.

I am going to journal everything I eat for the next 21 days and the supplements and what time I get to bed, and the quality/ quantity of sleep, and I want to keep an eye on my bp and see if that settles.

I just got a book on painting animals on rocks - eager to try out some of the tips. Also have a book on teaching kids to draw (and for adult beginners - which I most definitely am) They recommend I do the first few sections on my own and get a handle on it before trying to teach the kids. I am looking forward to it - I have always wanted to draw but never knew where to start.

The kids had a hard time with the landlords daughter today - the one plays so nicely and DS was having a lovely time. Then the brat came over and wrecked the whole thing for everyone and still ran home and brought mommy over to sort all the others out. It is hard to know how to deal with it - I feel sorry for the nice kid. Her play time gets spoiled by her brat sister and no-one really wants the sister around. If I know only the older sister is around it is no big deal to have her over to play, the kids can play for ages with no problems. The minute the younger one comes everything changes and usually for the worse. She does have the occasional day where she is nice, but that is definitely not the norm. The parents just don't deal with her at all and if she isn't wanted over here because her attitude stinks then her sister has to leave too. Sigh, I wish I didn't have to deal with her! I am not looking forward to the summer where they are out all the time and want to play all the time. She is HIGH maintenance and my kids end up out of sorts after having to deal with her. DS took a while to calm down this evening because he was so upset that his fun play time got wrecked by bratty one. I guess I am just going to have to lay down some firmer rules and stick to them. It just isn't fair that my kids have to deal with brat - so they just can't play unless I can supervise ... As if I have time to stand and oversee someone else's brat!!! Not going to happen - ok, we'll see what I come up with.
    Last edited by Coll; 07-12-2013 at 04:26 PM.
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 224.8 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Great news on the blood tests, and your garden sounds amazing.

It really isn't anything special except to us Annie DD and I had sautéed beet greens today - I had to thin the plants and had all kinds of greens and thought I'd try them out. Yummy So tomorrow she and I will do it again as I have a bunch more that need to be thinned. Then I have turnips to thin as well - I have already dehydrated some spinach leaves and can see I will be doing a lot more of that in the next week or so. So nice to have on hand to add to stews and soups and fritattas.

Today was day 1 of VLC for me. My macros were ok: Total calories - 1605, fat - 130g, protein 81g, carbs 28g. I'm ok with that. First day on thyroid supplement and all the others. I slept well last night and am looking forward to getting to bed earlier tonight. I am determined to change my sleeping habits, I know that they have a profound affect on my outlook and health and energy and it is TIME to do it.

The chicks in our multilevel tree 'apartments' are all starting to fledge and this evening I had the privilege of having a very young robin sit on my arm for a few delicious moments after I helped it out of a predicament So pretty and soft. There are very young sparrows in the same tree and they are pretty unskilled with their flying - decided that the dog is going out on her leash even after dark when I usually let her have the run of the yard. She would just love to 'clean' up all the little ones that didn't make it back into their trees. I am looking after the landlords chicks for a week and am hoping to get them at least happy to see me. Right now they are very shy and have not been handled at all. So I am taking treats over whenever I see to them and teaching them the 'here are treats' call. There are 5 left out of the original 8 ... luckily for them we are having super warm/ hot weather right now. The odds are slightly more in favour of them surviving.

Kids are in bed reading - all is quiet! Bliss! I may just take some time to read for a while. But I need to keep an eye on the clock or I will be up way too late again ... I caught up in the book and forget time and then of course there is always the ' just one more chapter' syndrome that I suffer from.

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Dehydrated spinach...well I never.

I'm not sure I would even eat much of it fresh, much less bother to preserve it. But good for you. Do you have a dehydrator?

Lol Annie. The spinach is lovely in salads or the big leaves around a burger pattie. And yes I do have a dehydrator, just love it!! I might add that the spinach here is different from what I grew up eating - I think that what we called spinach in SA was actually chard and we were given it boiled - OMGosh it was so bad! I used to have to gag it down ... sautéed with onion and garlic it probably would be really nice. But I can't bring myself to try it - too many bad memories. Just like porridge - puke worthy in my book, though the rest of the family loved it. Can't abide the texture!

haha, chard is what we call silverbeet and I would eat it every day.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Chard! I LOVE chard!

Do you like it boiled with no seasonings? Shudder!

ecks is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coll View Post
    ... sautéed with onion and garlic it probably would be really nice.
    Sautee in beef tallow, add salt and ground pork... delicious!
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    When I was a child I was fed cabbage that had been boiled for an hour - no spices, not even salt or pepper. It was placed on my plate as a grayish mush. I have gotten over my dislike bordering on PTSD since I became primal, but it is still not my favorite.

Funny, I was looking at chard in the produce aisle yesterday and wondering if I should buy some -
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

“"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold