Page 83 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal journal : Coll page 83

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Very exciting stuff! Not that it matters what I think, but if the property is right, go for it and fix the house as you go. Especially with a capable man in the household.

There was a baby goat at the farmers market today! Unbelievably cute! Two days old and feisty as hell.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Coll is online now Senior Member
    After much discussion we have pretty much decided it won't work for us at the moment. I am really sad and yet relieved too. 500 sq ft is not enough to live in as DH is working long hours and would never have time to add anything on before winter hits. We also are unable to use any of our savings to buy materials as that all has to go to moving my parents back to SA. I have to really work on my attitude with regards to that. I know that we need to do this and that once they are moved it will be a huge weight off. But it is requiring so much sacrifice and sometimes it is hard to choose that. We have to get about $13,000 saved as fast as we can to get them moved and settled. But in the meantime we have to send them about $500 to $1000 a month to just keep them going. This doesn't leave much - at least DH is really busy and hopefully we can get this chore done. 6 months from now hopefully the folks passports will be here and we can see them one last time and send them on their way. So much can happen in 6 months though - just have to get my focus on the happy things of where I am now and not think about all the things that are being sacrificed.

It is fun to hear about your sheep and goats Pam, they sound like real characters! I hope we will be able to do some animals one of these days. Yes, I really do think it would be a wonderful experience for the kids! And that is part of why I am champing at the bit so to say. They are growing so fast and I would dearly love to be on our own place for all of our sakes. The kids were crying yesterday because they miss our old place in the Carolina's - 9 acres of beautiful forest and about 3 acres of that was open and full of gardens and fruit/ nut trees. Room to run and play and explore ... Of course they don't remember how they hated the chiggers and fire ants and how beastly hot it was But, they do miss having their own area and space.

I decide to take a page out of Ecks book and have started taking my magnesium just before bed and a teaspoon of honey. Still needing the melatonin though to get to sleep. I wake up about 6:30 without my alarm, but am still tired and have a hard time getting going.

I think a lady is coming to pick up one of our bantam hens today - then we'll be down to 2 banties. Just easier for now. The kids each keep a pet and that is it. Just depressed today. It seems that no matter how much we try we just can't catch up on all the demands on us. My poor hubby is working his tail off to support us and then to relocate my parents and get them set up in SA. Sorry, enough moping! Time to get positive again... taking deep breaths and going to pot some plants instead. Let it all go and trust that one day things will come together for us.
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 13 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 227 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." Robert Frost.

Just feeling undecided about that place - would really need a miracle of some sort to make it work though, about 50 minutes from the grocery store. Did my plant therapy this afternoon - lovely! I am trying a pot called 'Smart pots'. They are made of fabric and apparently work really well for plants that don't usually do as well in containers. I am excited to see how my apple trees, blueberries etc will work in them. My two apple trees that I grafted a few weeks ago are growing really nicely and the grafts seem to have taken really nicely - very pleased with that!! Quite a thrill seeing them budding out and showing strong signs of life.

THe hen is off with a delighted new owner and it sounds like the setup is far more what that particular hen needs. Hope it works out for them all. At least it is one less feeder and waterer to deal with! Pet chickens can be a mission if they start not getting along, you can't just toss one in the pot when they are dearly loved pets. With the regular flock that is what we used to do - so much easier. I ate pretty well today, can't remember it all - but didn't overdo it too much I did have 3 primal cupcakes for lunch - not the most balanced meal. But I figure it is better than a bar of chocolate or something like that. The cupcakes had coconut flour and loads of eggs, palm oil and then cream with strawberries on top. So easy and yummy and I don't feel crazy with cravings afterward.

"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." Robert Frost.

Went to a gardening workshop today - fantastic afternoon. So much great information and also some really good contacts that are 5 minutes drive away. I may just load the kids up and go and give a hand with the gardens there in return for some of the produce. And of course I can learn as much as possible at the same time

I have been having fun with the plants - I really enjoy growing stuff. Jut gives me a thrill. I was pretty surprised today when I met someone who had attended the grafting workshop with me and he said that neither of his grafts took. Both of mine are doing well at the moment and actually I repotted the more advanced one yesterday. I am itching to try more grafting - just the wrong season now to be collecting the stuff I need. And doing it here at the rental gets crazy as there are only so many containers that I can afford to do and take care of. But, it is a comfort knowing that my garden is mostly portable. I think I am just going to leave the raised beds here (the soil anyway) when we eventually leave. There is so much bindweed in there now and I really can't bear the thought of taking all those nasty bits of weed with us!! It is almost impossible to get that stuff out and even more so once your garden is planted... you run the risk of pulling up your veggies when the weeds get too close to the good stuff!

We are going camping this next weekend and we are all excited! The area we are going to has a pretty decent moose population and loads of hummingbirds as well as the usual bears and skunks etc Hopefully we see moose and no bears! At least not near our camper ... In between doing school this week I will be packing the camper and getting it ready for travels. DH bought a spare tire for it a couple of days ago - just not a good idea heading out without one We have done it a couple of times and it is nerve wracking.

I have plenty of tidying up and cleaning to do tomorrow as we have friends coming over first thing on Tuesday morning. The house is looking better than it has for a loooonnng time Always good to have a guest coming over, all kinds of things happen that never seem to get to the top of the priority list otherwise.

Headed for bed - hopefully a good night of sleep and sweet dreams for us all!

If you see a moose, take an extra look for me! I would love to see a moose. I live in Moose Country but it is not common to see them, only in certain places.

I have guests coming also, my sister and brother-in-law. They are not staying with me, though. My place is too small and BIL is deathly allergic to cats. I don't know how much cleaning I am going to do, although I really should get to it!

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

The last time we went to this place I was pregnant with our first kiddo.... and we saw a few moose then - that was more than 10 years ago. I hope they have multiplied - I know the reintroduction program has gone well with the moose in Colorado. I will see if I can get some nice shots for you Siobhan

A busy day under the belt. I got a bee in my bonnet over the linen closet so emptied the whole thing out and reorganized it. I was looking for old sheets to use for the camper. I want to make us each a camping sheet - where the sheet is stitched into a bag and is for warmer weather. DS and I get hot easily so we need them a lot of the time. Hubby and dear daughter love to snuggle under layers when son and I are sweating and grumpy Isn't it funny how different we all are?

My laundry pile was annihilated today - three full loads later! Whew! Re-organised my counter space and found a home for my food processor. Of course as a result I don't have anywhere to put the bird seed now. The problem is that this house is not mouse proof so there are a lot of spaces in my cupboards that are not used. I can't stand cleaning everything and then when I go to use it there is mouse poop on it - no can do I am afraid. Hubby did a great job getting all the holes closed and we haven't had a mouse for ages - fall and winter were mouseless. Then I found the two decomposing corpses in the base of two cabinets again the other day and it just reinforced that I cannot store anything that mice can mess with down there. The other thing is that the bottom of the cabinets are so grimy and while I have cleaned out the moose poop from the infestations prior to our arrival here - it is a huge chore to try and get them clean enough that I could safely put anything food related on those surfaces. So they are just the no-go zones.

I did a lot of walking and bending and squatting etc today. I am looking forward to bed tonight. It is cool and rainy this evening and I LOVE going to bed with that kind of weather. I am enjoying sleeping with our window wide open directly over my head. I feel almost as if I am camping - I wake up with the light of the sun and the birds all bustling about. We have a wonderful blue spruce tree in the backyard that is like a multistory apartment building!! There are SO many birds nesting in there and all winter long, the birds that don't migrate, shelter in the dense, dark foliage. The kids have named it (the tree that is) Shield. And then there is a big cottonwood whose name is Girth (it has a really big trunk and big low branches) and out front next to the bird feeder is a pine called Sanctuary. Isn't that cute? Our chickens love to hide out under 'Shield' and take dust baths without worrying about the airborne predators. We are really privileged to live around all these trees and the irrigation ditch - it is so lush compared to the surrounding areas. Just across the street it gets very arid and back to the high dessert of Colorado. We have so many species of birds around and the resident deer that come through evening and morning, the bunnies, the fox and coyotes, raccoons and skunks and loads of garter snakes etc etc. We are blessed to be waiting for our own place in a beautiful place like this.

It has been soooo windy the last few days. Hubby bought me a stunning rose bush for Mother's Day and it had three buds on and a lot of very tender new growth. The darn wind and snapped off one of the buds I have snugged it inbetween some clumps of lilacs that seem to be shielding it adequately from the heavy gusts. That is when it is very handy having so many of my plants in pots. I can just pick them up and move them when the conditions are not good. The grass is growing so fast at the moment. Lots of sunshine, rain, cool weather. Hubby just finished mowing and the back yard is looking very shaggy again. I enjoy mowing most of the time - unless there are loads of stones that get thrown up. Will have to attack the grass again tomorrow afternoon if there is no more rain.

I am gradually losing a little weight - I have lost 4 pounds gradually over the last week or so. It is a relief to not be going up in numbers! I am eating three meals a day and trying to keep it low key at the moment.

OK, just had a creepy 'conversation' with someone I was in highschool with! He was online on facebook when I was and was very pushy about wanting to video chat to tell me something. I just had a weird vibe and felt rather exposed - and I don't want to show my bloated just woke up face to anyone but my family. I lied and said that I didn't have video capabilities ... don't know why I just felt like there is something not cool about him. Shudder! I think I may just unfriend him - I don't like that kind of vibe - like I am prey and he is predator.

Tomorrow is my birthday - hubby only has one inspection tomorrow so will be home for the morning - lovely. Then we leave early the next morning with our little tiny camper We are all looking forward to it so much. We hope to go fishing and for lovely walks - lovely fun!

ecks is offline Senior Member
    Talk to buddy from highschool one more time. Ask him what it is he needs to tell you and request that if it's necessary to share that you would prefer a telephone call or an email. There may be something legitimate he wants to share about a past common friend or something. If you delete him you'll never know.

Happy almost getting older!
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

Thanks Ecks, I will tell him if he has anything to tell me he can send me a message/ e-mail. I am not giving him my phone number - another class mate that I was good friends with has unfriended him because she felt he was stalking her ... in fact she is off facebook altogether as a result of his harassment. The way he worded things was pretty suggestive (I got hubby to read it and he said he sure sounded like he was 'fishing') and yet I will give him the benefit of the doubt for the moment. I tried to get the conversation around to his family but he wasn't going there ...

Today I was spoiled by my lovely family - new fishing tackle box, just in time for our weekend away and some new pruners - really good ones (YIPPEE) and some fun books. And a lovely hot mug of tea in bed I had great fun organizing my tackle earlier - the kids can't wait to go fishing again!! They are both out in the East Pasture practicing their casting - too cute. DS already lost a bubble in the long grass

I had a couple fried eggs and a biiiigg bowl of salad for breakfast. I think I may also eat the last avo before it goes bad - delicious! Also, I am delighted as my favourite tea is back in stock on Amazon and it arrived this morning (I haven't had it for ages because of it being out of stock and imported....) Enjoying my cup of tea.

Today is going to be busy with packing and organizing the camper, take the dog to the doggie vacation spot (she loves it!) and pick up the groceries we're taking. We are going to stay at a KOA campground this time around so quite civilized for a change. Bathroom facilities and power - first time we will have camped so luxuriously Hopefully it is not too busy with it being Memorial day weekend - but I think it is far enough out that it shouldn't be too bad. We are going to have a whole two nights away - that is pretty unusual in itself. Part of running your own business especially when you are just starting up. I grew up in a country where vacation is a norm and everyone takes about a month off every year - and it is paid vacation I might add! I REALLY miss that part of my culture!!! It is such a great time to rest and refresh and I believe makes for a much more efficient and energetic worker.

Have a wonderful time! You are probably already gone and won't see this until you come back. I'm sure it will be wonderful!

Stay away from creepy guy. If he really had something important to tell you, he wouldn't have insisted on a video chat. Personally I hate that stuff. It feels like an invasion to me, and is invariably awkward. Of course I'm an old fart. But a man with good intentions will go to great lengths to make it clear that he isn't...you know.