Page 78 of 149 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal journal : Coll page 78

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    So glad he's okay! What a situation - he must have quite a story to tell -
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Coll is offline Senior Member
    Yes Siobhan, but he is chirpy and back to the mail delivering as if nothing happened. I am just glad that nothing bad came of it.

We are going to look at a house built in 1900 this afternoon. It is sure to be a mess as we can afford it - hubby is going to do a mini inspection so we know what the state is of all the major systems and if it is even worth finding out if we can get financing for that particular place. Hubby is a carpenter by trade and used to build pretty cool custom homes when we first got married. We could do a lot of work on it for only the time and materials it would require. Sweat equity - the best kind. Just so long as it is livable in the meantime... then we could save more to help get my folks back to SA. Our payments would be almost half of what we pay right now on rent ... I'll let you know later what it looks like! rough but...
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 224.8 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Hoping for the best!

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Mmm, what to say - pretty darn BAD! Major foundation issues aside from an ancient furnace, old leaks, multiple issues, mouse poop everywhere, huge cracks in the basement, definite angled floor in many areas, the tub looks like it might fall through the floor the first time you fill it up .... nope. I think they'd have to pay us to 'buy' it!

Tummy not happy today. Was ok this morning while I was 'fasting' - as soon as I ate I felt bloated and uncomfortable, as if I was headed for diarrhea... of course this did not deter me from eating plenty! No upset bowels - but not happy. I wish I could bring myself to fast all day. Just not really easy on a weekend especially. I do feel as though I am going into ketosis. Mouth dry all the time and really thirsty all the time - same as before. We had paleo breakfast bread and bacon for dinner. The breakfast bread had 2 TBSP honey in which is split between 4 of us and the topping I added stevia and vanilla to cream cheese which was yummy. I had too much bacon ... Lunch was carnitas with salsa and sour cream and avocado and a sausage. I had one cup of tea with cream and a glass of kefir earlier. I had a few pieces of organic 60% chocolate. Too many actually for what my body wanted, but not even a 'full portion' ... a victory in a way. I had gained water weight overnight - about a pound and a half. I think it was partially the cabbage and then the brats - not organic, but natural. I wonder if there is too much salt in there...

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

I've really cut down my chocolate consumption painlessly by simply letting it dissolve in my mouth instead of chewing. Basically, suck it like a hard candy! I really like it - the taste is wonderful and it lasts a surprisingly long time.

Too bad about the house - sounds like a tear down. I despair of purchasing a home in Maine, everything in my price range is pretty much like the house you describe. I looked at one that had a huge gaping hole in the roof. There was a plastic kiddie pool underneath it. I kid you not. And it was right on a busy road. AND it had a weird sand pit in the backyard chock full of junk. (I'm not making this up.)

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    Oh, darn. I was so hoping the house would work out. All would still be okay if it weren't for the foundation. That is soooooo much work. I live in a 1906 house and our foundation is still holding well. I better knock on wood. We did save up for about 10 years for a new roof. It was four layers thick and pieces would fly off in every storm. It was so thick with layers it never leaked.

I think it's natural for old houses to slant. Makes building shelves pretty funny. Let's see. Shall we line them up with the floor or the ceiling? Keep trying. Bet you'll find something. It is sooo expensive to get anything here. Guess it's good we got this place when we did. Well. I am going to keeping sending thoughts that you find a place with a solid foundation. A good construction worker (your DH) can fix the rest. My husband just put in a new electrical panel. That was a trip! He's an electrical engineer with an electrician's license, so that's quite helpful there.

Hope you have a simply great primal day with meat and lots of vegetables!
    Last edited by lopisheep; 04-21-2013 at 05:33 PM.

I am going to try the melt in your mouth approach to chocolate Siobhan - that really sounds like a good idea. You can get the same amount of flavor and really savor it in the same time I would eat a much bigger piece!! Thanks for the tip

Yup, our price range is definitely similar to yours then! It does rather amaze me that people will leave a repair for so long! I know that money can be very tight sometimes but to let something as valuable as a house just start to disintegrate without at least trying!!! Sometimes I wonder about going back to Africa and maybe building a little hut or three like the tribes people do - at least they don't have anyone telling where they may build it and what with and you use the local materials. Pretty primitive but work very well - I have stayed in versions of them many times and you can really make some very nice versions as you get more money. Look up 'rondavel' on google and you will see what I mean....

Thanks Pam, for the encouragement! Yes, we are not against sloping floors per se, but the whole house is leaning and angled because of the foundation .... and there had been major roof leaks previously - there is a new roof on it which was the only thing that didn't need fixing or replacing ... but there were great big wet areas all over the basement and you can see daylight through the cracks etc.... We are looking for a fixer upper - that is all we can afford but the fix for the foundation would be huge as the house would have to be jacked up and then a new foundation poured ... astronomical expense there, you'd never get the money back. The realtor laughingly told us we should rent the movie 'Money Pit'

I am going foraging on my own this morning - treat from hubby so I can get out by myself and be 'alone'. I need time where I am not talked to or have anything required from me...

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    Your last sentence says it all! How did foraging go?

Quote Originally Posted by Coll View Post
    Thanks Pam, for the encouragement! Yes, we are not against sloping floors per se, but the whole house is leaning and angled because of the foundation .... and there had been major roof leaks previously - there is a new roof on it which was the only thing that didn't need fixing or replacing ... but there were great big wet areas all over the basement and you can see daylight through the cracks etc.... We are looking for a fixer upper - that is all we can afford but the fix for the foundation would be huge as the house would have to be jacked up and then a new foundation poured ... astronomical expense there, you'd never get the money back. The realtor laughingly told us we should rent the movie 'Money Pit'

I am going foraging on my own this morning - treat from hubby so I can get out by myself and be 'alone'. I need time where I am not talked to or have anything required from me...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Foraging went very well - found kombucha on sale Unfortunately I happened upon a chocolate bush just loaded with ripe fruit and so I gorged myself on chocolate SO, starting over again today! Just so undisciplined at the moment ... I am trying not be stressed about the whole house hunting and the 'plan' to move my folks, but there are so many things to figure out and so many things to be co-ordinated that it fair sets my mind whirling. I am trying to just set aside a time each day to research and working out whatever details I can, but it is hard to keep on track. Hubby has been really struggling with not being able to get us a reasonable place - he has been working so hard and the business is doing really well. It is just the bank that is looking at 2 years of taxes and our first year in business was absolutely abysmal as far as income. It is a heck of a lot on his shoulders - trying to provide for our family and my folks too. Just had to send them another check to keep them going - they had $20 left on Friday ... sigh. Thank God for this business and for lots of work for hubby!! We would have sunk long ago otherwise. It is so hard for him to take any time off with this kind of work - I think we need to get our tiny camper situated so that we can go camping at least once a month. There is no cell service where we go camping so by default he gets no calls etc. Just hoping that the camper was not adversely impacted by the 18+ inches of snow that just melted off it - it has evidence of some leaks and we have no where to put it so hubby can work on it under cover. I have been gradually getting the bits and pieces stored in there that go with us. I want to get it to the point of being ready to go at any time, just add food and clothing and hook it up and off you go. We are hoping that maybe we could get to Yellowstone Nat. park in the fall ... we have never been and it would be an awesome experience for all of us! Just dreaming now ...

More snow on the way today - I can see it snowing on the hills around us. It is just a matter of waiting for it to make it down to us here. Hopefully the kids will be motivated to get school done quickly today as we have a play date with friends about 30 minutes drive from here .... while they play I get to talk to someone who has some of the same interests ... fun!