Page 75 of 150 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal journal : Coll page 75

Coll is offline Senior Member
    Well, the blizzard didn't manifest. We got a couple of inches of snow - bummer! It is pretty cold and windy though ... at least none of my seeds had sprouted yet, hopefully they will still come up after this.

I haven't taught my kids Afrikaans - kind of sad about that. My mom is an Afrikaans teacher - but has no interest in spending time with my kids or teaching them I really should try to get some resources to get them the basics. I have asked people from time to time but no-one has ever gotten back to me about it and I have been too lazy to follow up. That is what happens when you live from crisis to crisis, everything else ends up on the back burner.

I did speak to my mom in general terms today about the medical insurance issues and said that we need to all Skype soon so we can talk it over. The Taiwan option seems to be fading ... doesn't sound like that will work out. So we are back to trying to figure out if we should move the folks here and try to accommodate them here while we save up (that should take a while!) or find a different place to rent that will accommodate us all. I just have to keep on taking deep breaths - I have no idea how we are going to afford all these expenses. Just have to wait and see how it all works out ... and I trust that it will in some fashion.

Mmmm, I also see the attachments didn't work out. Shall have to try again...
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 224.8 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Carnitas for dinner Yippee. The whole house smells of it! Hubby is a happy chappy.

I am unfortunately up at 205 lbs at the moment. Not doing well at all with eating - just surviving my days and eating my way through them too

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    You're definitely an artistic group. The walking stick and the elephant head are wonderful. Wouldn't want to use the walking stick and get it dirty That elephant head could go in an art show, for sure!

Too bad Taiwan won't work out, but it might be really foreign for them. I take it no one has a place in SA. This is just my humble opinion, but having them with you sounds like the straw that would break the camel's back multiplied by a thousand. Privacy is soooooo important.

Your carnitas sound good. You're probably just eating a bit too much, so I won't feel so awful being so heavy. We do still have to lose a pant size this month, don't forget, but I just hope things can settle down for you first. That's why I took a hiatus -- too many issues, and I needed to get some things settled.

What do your brothers in SA think? Guess parents are just hard for everyone. I had no idea, and my sisters and brother certainly didn't. Wonder if that's why one sister is in Dubai and my brother in Massachusetts!!! No way I'd want my mom in Dubai. It's a crazy place, and my brother has enough issues.

How functional are your parents? Wondering what they would like most to do. Do they garden or do crafts or read or ...?

Hey, you're a teacher and you speak Afrikaans Isn't that just what you need -- another subject to teach your kids!!! I can just see you looking cranky at my helpful hint. Man, though, I'm assuming Afrikaans has some similarities with Dutch. Could you guys have made the pronunciation any weirder? It makes Russian seem simple (pronunciation-wise).
    Last edited by lopisheep; 04-09-2013 at 08:09 PM.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    The carvings are great!
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Wonderful drawing and carvings. (Honey likes them, too.) It is always great to see the creative things people do.

Thanks all for the nice words - the creative stuff is very good for stress relief.

Well, heard this morning that we can prequalify for a shanty in the woods - oh , actually the bank won't loan on a shanty and the woods burned down and everything else is too expensive. Sigh, guess we'll be renting for at least the next year ... now to figure out if we should just keep on where we are at... That is my initial thought, at least we won't have to go through another upheaval and expense and packing up etc. But it depends a lot on a lot of things. I think we will look around and see what else is available and then will have to talk to our landlord and see what they think... I wish we could be done with them and their kids, but at least I have a lock on the gate and have learned how to say no. I think this may help my folks see that we really don't have what it takes to look after them ... don't really know how we'll work this out. But it is good motivation to just get stuck in and jolly well make this place as comfortable and uncluttered as possible, if we don't move to a different place. And if we do stay here longer we will ask the landlord to fix a few things - like the hot water heater that is ancient and just doesn't work very well at all anymore...

It is actually a relief to at last know where we stand on the whole deal. No more wasting time agonizing over which house would work better and which dreams to give up.

I am going to really focus on getting healthy and strong and lean - and get our house organized. We have started a schedule with the kids and I now - we were just too unstructured and that made it really hard to get school done and have chores done. There has been some pretty big resistance initially - but I can see already that the kids feel more secure with the routine. They know what is expected of them - and an unexpected benefit is that I am starting to get to bed earlier because otherwise I am not able to get going early enough in the day to keep on our routine. It seems that I need a good 8 hours sleep to function well ... and I really want some quiet time early in the day before I have to get going.

Pam, you are funny! Afrikaans is actually very straightforward as far as pronunciation goes - far easier than English with all its conflicting rules! But then I grew up with it so that probably makes it seem easier than it is. I miss speaking it and hearing it - my mom and I talk Afrikaans a lot of times when we are chatting but it is amazing how you lose so much when you are not using it or hearing it! I am seriously thinking of teaching the kids Afrikaans - of course that will mean I can no longer use it as code language for when I don't want them to understand what I am saying I just wish I could find some good resources to help me out there!

My folks are pretty functional - love reading and have some crafts they like to do, they also like gardening - their yard back in South Africa was gorgeous! They love birdwatching and wildlife and walking ...

My brothers have no clue for the most part - in fact I could tell that my oldest brother found me rather negative about my folks and their issues, I wanted to tell him to take them for 6 months and then we could talk again and see where he stands on them!!
    Sigh, nevermind...

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    Well, it's getting easier, I must admit. Been studying a LOT of pronunciation. I listened to some Afrikaans tonight. It is beautiful. Seems a bit softer than the Dutch I am practicing. I bet you do miss Afrikaans. Does your husband speak it?

There's a neat site called omniglot.com. It gives lots of learning sites for all languages, and maybe something would fit in with you teaching plans. Just for structure or something. No sense reinventing the wheel totally, eh?

Hey, my sister and brother who live afar were rather negative about all the stuff my sister here and I couldn't cope with regarding my mom. When they came separately to visit and to be in charge of her -- each for about a week -- they suddenly understood it all! Amazing, eh? Know what you're going through in that regard.

I think I'll weigh tomorrow morning. Eeks!

Quote Originally Posted by Coll View Post
    Pam, you are funny! Afrikaans is actually very straightforward as far as pronunciation goes - far easier than English with all its conflicting rules! But then I grew up with it so that probably makes it seem easier than it is. I miss speaking it and hearing it - my mom and I talk Afrikaans a lot of times when we are chatting but it is amazing how you lose so much when you are not using it or hearing it! I am seriously thinking of teaching the kids Afrikaans - of course that will mean I can no longer use it as code language for when I don't want them to understand what I am saying I just wish I could find some good resources to help me out there!

My folks are pretty functional - love reading and have some crafts they like to do, they also like gardening - their yard back in South Africa was gorgeous! They love birdwatching and wildlife and walking ...

My brothers have no clue for the most part - in fact I could tell that my oldest brother found me rather negative about my folks and their issues, I wanted to tell him to take them for 6 months and then we could talk again and see where he stands on them!!
    Sigh, nevermind...

I am going to start over tomorrow morning - no rules about how many times you can start out fresh again, thank heavens! I am going to weigh tomorrow and see where I am starting out from again. I am so with you Pam, on losing a pant size - I have gone up in pant sizes the last few months. THat is sooooo depressing! I had just found some really nice jeans that worked well for me and bought three pairs (Walmart jeans) and I have only worn them a couple of times before I had blown up again. I am all kitted out for the lower fat ratios - just need to get there again!

I agree that Afrikaans sounds softer than Dutch ... I will check out the omniglot site, that sounds like it could be helpful. I have carnitas in the fridge - very helpful for meals quick and easy. I only had a couple cups of tea this morning and then had leftover stew for lunch. I also had chocolate (the kind I don't like - how pathetic is that!!??) about 2/3 of a bar. I had an apple and about 2 oz cheese and then had a bowl of carnitas with sour cream and salsa for dinner, another cup of tea with HWC and then some trail mix on the way home from a program at the library. I wasn't hungry for most of that - just eating out of habit, thinking it will make me feel better. Hah, NOT, especially when I put my jeans on and felt uncomfortably restricted - I don't have any bigger pants to go to so I better get my butt in gear and start losing weight again.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Coll View Post
    I am going to start over tomorrow morning - no rules about how many times you can start out fresh again, thank heavens!
    This reminds me of something I wrote on a different forum. Don't know if you know that I am doing JUDDD right now, in addition to primal. A 'fasting' day followed by a 'feasting' one. The great thing about it is that you are essentially 'starting over', every other day. And everyone knows that STARTING a diet is the easiest part.