Page 74 of 144 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal journal : Coll page 74

Coll is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    It is such a poor country with a very high unemployment rate. Nothing gets thrown away - when you have people living in cardboard shanties nothing is too bad to be used. There are kids/people who barely have any clothes at all, never mind a change of clothes. If you have used clothes etc that you no longer want or need you usually give them to your maid or gardener or the man who picks up the trash... In fact anything that is not bolted down will find a new home very fast ... you could never have mail boxes out on the road like you do here. They would be gone in minutes. There was a picture of an innovative house on facebook from folks in South Africa, they stole the big road signs that are overhead on the highways and made the walls and roof of their home with the signs! Many people live in the bush or on the streets due to the extreme financial hardship.

My folks are pretty minimalist too - though they do like having a table to sit down and eat, the English manners and all. I will be doing some research into what it would cost to replace everything there ... so not definite on that. And yes, my brother does speak Chinese - he and his family have lived there for many years... he does some translation work and also setting up English curriculums for schools. The only parts of Taiwan I have seen were the inner city - certainly not beautiful. But a lot of the outlying areas are very pretty. I just never had the chance to see it all ...
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 13 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 227 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." Robert Frost.

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    Ah, now I understand. Thank you. Would make it hard to even know where to start, I imagine. What is the food situation like there? Are basic foods also expensive? Would think having a garden go full term might be somewhat impossible too?

Pam, it would depend on where you live ... unless you are in a secure community you are very vulnerable when outside, especially as an older person... You know it is so long since I lived there that I have asked one of my brothers who still lives there to work up an approximate budget so that we have an idea of how much it is going to cost them to live there again. I do know that the cost of living has soared - but to where I don't know?

I have only had about 8 pieces of chocolate so far today Going to talk to the folks tomorrow hopefully - I am pretty nervous but also eager to have it done...

belted kingfisher.jpg

I thought I would share a picture my DD drew for school over the last couple of days - I am pretty excited about it!

"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." Robert Frost.

Oh, Coll -- I do hope things work out so you can talk to them tomorrow. I know you can do it well. It is so much stress on you and your family. Talking to them will be a relief, I imagine. Who knows but that are really wanting to go back home. My thoughts will definitely be with you tomorrow. And either way, it will be good to know how they feel about moving back to SA or staying, and I am sure they would want to know about the financial and health aspects of things. No health insurance for older and somewhat ailing people must be hideous.

That is one incredible drawing. It looks so professional. Amazing. What kind of bird is it? Looks like it says tufted something. It must make him so happy to draw something like that and make himself and others happy.

It was a belted kingfisher - and our daughter drew it. She loves drawing pictures for us all - our son on the other hand is totally intimidated by his sisters drawing and has only recently started trying.

Ah, DD. Yep. I'd be a lousy spy. Can't work with all these codes Tell her, then, that her drawing is impressive. And then you can tell your son he is impressive too because I know he is. I got GTGN today. Had to think a minute!
    Hope you have a restful sleep tonight and that everything runs smoothly tomorrow.
    Trying to figure out what 8 pieces of chocolate are. There could be a difference between healthy eater size and dainty eater size, I imagine:-)
    Last edited by lopisheep; 04-07-2013 at 12:03 PM.

Thinking of you and hoping all went well yesterday. Breathe deeply / Long walk with kids / Clean house from top to bottom / Weed your entire piece of land. Take care of yourself.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Wonderful drawing! Thank you for sharing it with us.

I hope all is well in the World of Coll and that issues are working out.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Hubby and I avoided the issue yesterday - the folks had a close friends daughter in law die and we didn't want to add to their troubles right on top of that. I spent most of the day whittling a walking stick for our son ... it really is amazingly therapeutic. And I have found that using my leather gardening glove is very helpful for protecting me from blisters. Happy discovery.

DSCN6112.jpg

This was hubby's first attempt at an elephant head - I thought it turned out awesome!!

DSCN6107.jpg

Supposed to be getting a blizzard starting tonight and going through tomorrow. Being next to the mountains though the weather forecasts are very unreliable - the weather changes extremely fast. If they predict a blizzard we get a trace of snow, if they say only an inch we get 8 inches. A typical case of 'wait and see' ... we are all hoping and praying that we get the foot of snow as it is so extremely dry here. In fact hopefully we get more than they predicted... The wind just kicked up and I had to run out and batten down the hatches.

Daughter is trying to 'force' me into letting her off finishing her school - it has taken her about 5 hours to do her math ... not because it is too hard but just because she doesn't want to do it. She'll be in for a rude surprise at dinner time if she doesn't get her butt into gear soon!

Son is not doing too much better - but at least he is at his desk working sporadically. I am going to go and cook up a yummy stew for dinner ... no chocolate today!
    Last edited by Coll; 04-09-2013 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Fixing pictures

When I click on your attachments, it says "invalid attachment specified." Darn. Imagining your and your husband's craft work. I bet both items are beautiful.

No chocolate sounds positive. Wondering if Kinderle got dinner And hoping you have the hugest, most gigantic snow storm possible. Well, like, not dangerous, just to have fun and get that water level up.

Sorry things didn't ALL pan out yesterday. But, at least, you don't have to stress YOU were putting things off. How sad about their friend's DIL.

Okay, I probably asked you this, but did you teach your kids Afrikaans? I spent the whole day with Russian grammar. THAT could quite easily drive one insane. And then there's Dutch pronunciation -- oh, and Swedish pronunciation! Fun stuff