Page 72 of 150 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal journal : Coll page 72

Coll is offline Senior Member
    You are right Siobhan, I need a place like this while I am freaking out - I don't have friends in my area so I 'make do' with my cyber friends. So tired tonight - too much crying today. Will try again tomorrow... sleep well all!
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 224.8 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Just got back from a weekend about an hours drive up the canyon. Stayed in a little cabin on the Poudre River ... no phone, no internet, and I cooked everything ahead of time so we ate beef stew, carnitas and veg and fruit and dairy. We spent a fair amount of time down at the river, taking pictures, whittling sticks we found, tossing stones and just relaxing. DH and I had plenty time (uninterrupted!!) to talk over all the stuff that is going on with my folks ... feel like we are starting to find a way through this mess. Much to work through still but at least there seems to be light at the end of the tunnel. Of course just to make the weekend more interesting the transmission started to go out on our vehicle!! I think it was the steep climb in elevation that pushed it over the edge. It wouldn't change out of 2nd gear after a while - screaming along!!! Kind of freaky - back to the old days of travelling without cell phone service to help out. No cell coverage all the way up the canyon. We were about 5 miles from the place we were headed for when we had to pull over and let her sit for about half an hour ... we took a walk as we just happened to pull over right at the entrance to a SWA, kids were thrilled and it was really pretty. Got back to the vehicle and managed to limp our way to the campground. Decided to just enjoy the weekend and figure it out on our way back ... of course the ride home is almost all downhill with a little bit of flat so the vehicle did make it with some careful jockeying of the gas pedal etc by DH! So, another lovely big expense to follow the big tax bill, the money to the folks to keep them going, and a number of other things that just came up - so true that it never rains but pours.

I arrived home after fetching the dog and a quick grocery run in DH's work car to find our landlord complaining about our daughter and the way she dealt with his brat 4 year old (who never ever hears no and never has to feel the consequences of her unsocial behavior) She had told the brat that she needed to go home if she couldn't play nicely (I say good for her - I have told her to do that!) Daddy came trotting over saying it wasn't fair that their older child got to play and not the little brat - so our daughter told him that actually it isn't fair that they have to play with a kid that isn't nice and that the older kid is nice to play with. I have told our kids no more playing with the landlords kids if one of us adults isn't around to supervise - it isn't fair for her to take the brunt of the parents inability to discipline their offspring. So, if the youngest comes over they will only be allowed to play if we can watch - not going to be much of that because I am not exactly without stuff to do. The older kid is really sweet and our kids really enjoy playing with her - the younger is really horrid and the parents say that 'being firm with her really doesn't work!" I guess I know who is running that household!

Stunning spring days at the moment - clear skies, windy, lovely warm sun if you can get out the wind. We have at last gotten all the paper work ready to take to the mortgage lender - so this week may see us preapproved for buying a house at last. We'll see if we can even get a loan for anything here - last wait now...

I have gained a lot of weight lately. Thank GOD for a husband who loves me no less when I am fat and stressed! What a huge blessing he is to me - unconditional love is an amazing thing!

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Good on your daughter to stand up for what is right! It must make you feel so good to see your children developing such fine character. I am hoping for all the best for you into the future. How great it will be to have your own home! Every family needs a place of their own.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Especially since it is one thing to tell a child they are not behaving nicely, it is a whole other experience telling the parent. Your daughter has some chops!

Thanks folks, DD is VERY strong willed and will call a spade a spade - many times it is really tough to deal with but yesterday was one of those times that DH and I looked at each other and said that, aha, here is a time for her strong personality to shine through!

I can't wait to start looking for our own little spot Siobhan, we are all going stir crazy after renting for 2 years! We want to plant and buy chickens and paint and .... and .... and

Well, I spent about 3 hours this morning with the kids pruning the landlords apple trees. Just two of them but they have been neglected for years by the previous owners and were a horrible mess!! My arms and hands are sore now - they look a lot better now but are going to need ongoing care. I couldn't take anymore off them without causing harm so had to stop. Hopefully the landlord doesn't faint when he sees them - though I am not sure if he would notice a difference either... He did say for me to go ahead and prune them and we can share the harvest, even if we have moved (which I pray is the case!)

Spent half the afternoon whittling a short walking stick - one that I could use to whack a marauding dog or coyote if necessary! Or the kids could use it as a walking stick. I am whittling a hand hold that is much smaller so that they can get their hands around it. Other benefits from pruning the apple trees is lots of fresh wood for whittling, and lovely wood for smoking steaks etc on a fire!! It does impart a really lovely flavor and we are headed for barbeque / braai weather! Can't wait to get cooking outside again - and especially cooking potjiekos (a big 3 legged cast iron pot) that is cooked for hours over a bed of coals, usually a divine mix of meat and veggies that cook to fall apart tenderness. A South African delicacy and very primal. You spend all day nursing the fire and the pot, and in between you play games and talk and laugh and swim and eat other bits and pieces while you wait for the main event! Of course the weather has been so dry here we may not be able to have an open fire - just wait and see I guess.

I think I have found someone to assess DD and write up her assessment to say that she is doing fine and can continue homeschooling - it has been quite a process to find someone. All these things you have to find out when you are new in an area and especially when moving to another state where the laws are different...

We are taking the Suburban in to get the transmission fixed tomorrow morning .... so glad we have been saving up an emergency fund! So grateful for lots of work for DH or we would not be very happy at all! Last year this time we were still wondering if the business was going to work out or if we were going to crash and burn ... and we have just come through the slow period with an emergency fund intact - verging on miraculous, especially if you knew how we had been living hand to mouth for years before that in the Carolina's!!

I made a bunch of carnitas the other day - DH is happy as can be It is so nice to have a tub of carnitas in the fridge just waiting to be warmed up and added to all kinds of things. I love loading a romaine lettuce leaf with carnitas, sour cream, and salsa. Just delicious. Or warmed up with eggs of all kinds ... so versatile.

The kids and I have been listening to the Narnia books and they have been really enjoying them, esp DD. I think they are a bit advanced for DS though he does enjoy listening. I am missing one of the series and DD is not impressed that we are going to have to wait to order it Audiobooks are such a wonderful invention - especially for long road trips. They pass the time far better than movies for the kids.

Since it is the 1st of April I guess it is a good day to get going on losing fat again. I did have some leftover chocolate this morning but otherwise have been very primal. So tomorrow I will weigh in for the first time in a while and then we'll see about getting moving in more ways than one!

I am glad to see you are feeling a little better and things are well. My own emergency fund is severely depleted - most of it went to the new car purchase, registration, etc., and then with winter fuel costs I have not been able to replenish. Very upsetting! Hopefully I will get a little break now that the weather is better.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Narnia is my favorite country to visit.

I have just started supplementing regularly with magnesium after reading a bunch about it. I have so many of the symptoms of low magnesium levels. I was certain I was going to be really sore today after my herculean efforts with the pruning yesterday - but as a result of the magnesium gel I am hardly even sore!! WOW! I had forgotten that it helps move lactic acid as well! I am also hoping that it might boost my libido some... along with getting rid of occasional arrhythmias, cramps, depression, fatigue, food cravings, the late night pounding heart and disturbed sleep, and maybe some detox from all my amalgam fillings, maybe some help for my heel that has been hurting quite a lot again lately, and of course just to counterbalance the very high stress at the moment! I have ordered some of the angstrom magnesium for DH and I to take - I will be interested to see if this helps him with his chronic sleep issues too...

Doing much back and forth with my brothers to figure out if we can organize some stuff to help the folks out ... maybe they'll go to one of my siblings in Taiwan while we save up enough to get them moved all the way back to South Africa! Still haven't broached the subject with my folks ... keep waiting for the 'right' time. I want to have some options ready and mostly researched before we bring it all up. I don't want to tell them they can't stay here and then leave them hanging with no options. Trying to do lots of deep breathing and praying and taking things in small bite sized chunks. My weight is up to 202.2 lbs as of this morning - the only mitigating factor is that Aunt Flo arrived yesterday so I am also bloated. I also ate two bars of chocolate today - not exactly a success!! Deep breaths and keep trying...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I know it is hard when these things are imploding, but they shall pass. You will get through it and all will be well. You are a really good person, a fine person. Not everyone would care for their parents as you do. You have the really important things you need, a loving family and a good character.