Page 7 of 142 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal journal : Coll page 7

Coll is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Well, like I said we went to the Museum of Nature and science today. Kids loved it and we enjoyed it too. I was not impressed with a lot of the kids who were totally obnoxious, pushing in front of you, just walking on your feet like they are part of the floor without a single apology or backward glance.

Breakfast: 2 left over chicken drumsticks and 2 squares of dark chocolate.
    Snacks/ lunch: We took a few snacks in with us - ate way too many nuts today and some raisins and an apple! Hoooweee, high carb day! Also had half a can of coconut water- the jury is still out on whether I actually like it. A very different taste there.
    Dinner: 5 bacon slices, scrambled eggs

Been a tough few days with some goofy family junk going on ... never easy to deal with and we are in the thick of some pretty sensitive types who are all upset with each other. Stressful and I am ready to take our family and leave everyone else to duke it out. Probably all kill each other and we'll come back to a few scraps of meat lying on the floor, whew, not very nice bunch when they get going!

Breakfast: 1 1/2 slices leftover bacon, black tea with cream and stevia.
    Snack: (about 3 pm) handful macadamia nuts, a strawberry, 2 macaroons (right before dinner)
    Dinner: mince 'stew' with frozen veg and some raw veggies on the side.

The last of the bag of frozen veggies and my nose was totally stuffy afterwards... there was corn in the mix, do you think it could have been that? Or more likely to be the worcestershire sauce? Haven't had either for ages... I did have a reaction to the sulfites (I assume) in vinegar recently so maybe the vinegar in the sauce has sulfites in too...

It has been so stressful lately with all the family nonsense going on, but I am holding my own with no cravings or emotional eating. This is pretty miraculous I have to say! I was raving to a friend today about this lifestyle and how I can't believe I am not fighting off cravings all day long anymore. In the past it was only a matter of time until I broke and gave into the cravings and ended up gorging myself on chocolate and gaining even more fat back!

Kids and I went for a bike ride up to the lake where we played in the shallow water at the edge and found pretty rocks and got cold feet Snow melt water so pretty darn chilly. It is not a challenging ride by any stretch of the imagination (for me) but the kids get a great workout and fell asleep the moment their heads hit their pillows tonight. DD who has always had a hard time getting to sleep and then getting up in the mornings, is a changed child. She is going to sleep quickly at night and waking up about the same time as the rest of us (or even a little earlier!) VERY cool! DS (6 yrs old) was complaining this evening that he is always hungry and so I was explaining that he doesn't eat enough protein and that is what will keep his tummy from feeling so hungry. We'll see if he changes anything as a result - so cute.

So, as far as exercise, not much really, but did get moving and outside and relaxing away from the family stresses. Spent some time doing some light weeding and watering etc of the garden etc. We now have a spigot outside so I can water the plants without having to pull a hose all the way from the old well and then watch the water trickle out slower than you care to imagine. Takes a llooooong time to water the trees etc at that rate. Now I can water the yard, going to reseed the backyard soon, and can also clean out chicken waterers and other outside cleaning jobs so much easier.
    Last edited by Coll; 03-28-2012 at 08:44 PM.

Too tired to really care about writing down what I ate - all I know is that I ate breakfast and dinner and it was all in the lifestyle. Feeling good except for my son who is really sick with the 'flu for the first time ever and raging fever and beyond miserable! It is strange to see my little live wire just lying in bed and barely moving or talking. I have spent the whole day trying everything I can think of to bring his temperature down. (I am an RN - or was I should say) Yesterday he ate tons despite feeling awful but today he is too listless to even pick up a piece of food by himself. I have been giving him homeopathic meds, elderberry extract, zinc, vit C etc and unfortunately nothing is helping yet. I am having to give him tylenol because nothing else brings his fever down to anything near 100F. It has been around 103F almost all day. If it doesn't come down a bit tomorrow will have to take him to the doc - first time since he was 6 weeks old. I hate having to deal with the medical lot because they always try to push you into giving immunizations etc!

Shamia is offline Senior Member
    Hi Coll! I hope your son gets better soon. Flu is nasty

Hopefully, you see this in time, just watched it: Free Worldwide Online Premiere Cinema | FOODMATTERSŪ
    it's free for another 7 hours. Powerfull! And it hits home in a bit big way. (Even though they are not talking about satiated fats )

If you don't catch it in time (its 90 minutes): one of the nutritionists talks about mercury poisoning (from fish or fillings) and that if you eat cilantro every day, there's a chemical in that that binds the mercury and helps detoxify your body of mercury.

Had to tell you that! I'm not the biggest fan of cilantro, but hey, worth a shot

What silly landlord you have.. Sure, long term thinking is good, but it will not harm a yard to plant a bit of this year's harvestable vegetables! Hope you find a suitable cute little farm soon so that you guys can pack up and leave.

Good for you to stay with the program even through stress! If you need help designing a menu fit for all picky eaters, let me know. I've written a few recipes already (I'm writing a cook book with my own recipes. Eh. was. They turn out to be all very non-primal. And I'm not one to be poisoning anyone! And primal food is too simple to make a recipe for. Take food, heat till desired done-ness. Eat.)

I did have a bit of a weak moment yesterday at the fried fish shop. I love batter-fried fish. Yum. And then today at the organic farmers market.. they have bread, so delicious.. But! I was a good grokkette! Ha! I nommed on the raw cheeses, bought raw milk (!!!!) and about half a cow..lol.. I did have a bit of orrichiette at the italian veg course. But only two pieces and I was ok with that. My tummy was not, but I told it to shut up and not offend the hoity toity italian celebrity chef. We did learn about a couple of new vegetables (don't remember the names - they are in the fridge now though). Can't wait to eat them! But probably not today, I'm not very hungry yet.

(eh, maybe I should have put all this rambling in my own yournal? But it feels like writing letters to a close friend when I'm writing with you.) Ok, I'll go to my own yournal now. haha.

Take care!
    x

BeachTeach is offline Senior Member
    Hi Coll~

Sorry to hear about your little one. We had a nasty virus going around our school a couple of months ago where kids' temps were scary high and wouldn't come down even with ibuprofin or Tylenol. Our parent population is very holistic, natural, etc., so when they broke out the meds, you know it was serious. Came with a nasty cough that was so rough, kids threw up. Out of school for a week, highly contagious--our 1/2 grade multiage class had 30 kids out of 100 out one day PLUS two of their four teachers. This flu season has been UGLY.

Hope you and the rest of your family stays healthy. Break out the bleach and wipe down all your surfaces--that's what finally ended the cycle at my school.
    I blog about living life to the fullest at The Hairy Edge. Check it out! (Or not. We can still be friends. )

Thanks guys, DS is way better today. The last two days were hairy though! His temp was up at 103F + all day yesterday and nothing touched it! It was as if he was on fire! Poor kid! I have been pumping him full of all kinds of natural stuff from kefir and elderberry extract to homeopathic meds and then this morning (after a bit of a crazy night) he woke up with a normal temp and it stayed fine most of the day. He came outside this afternoon and sat in the sun drinking lovely cold raw milk ... temp up a little this evening but only just over 100F which is ok with me. He was totally delirious last night - was freaking me out for a while there. He couldn't talk or follow instructions and was so limp he could not even move his own body into a comfortable position! He has a bit of a cough but doesn't seem to be taking over.

Breakfast : DH made me a very yummy omlette stuffed with mince I made a while ago - man it is a good combination! Slice of butter. Black tea with cream and stevia
    Lunch: Sausage, bell pepper, celery with almond butter and cream cheese, 1/8 apple, string cheese. Lemon juice in water after working outside in the hot dry sun.
    dinner: Grilled salmon, half an avocado, big bowl of strawberries and blackberries and cream. 1 block of dark chocolate.

I am feeling really good in myself... clothes are comfortable. I had to buy a belt earlier in the week because my jeans are falling off and I was having to hitch them up every few steps! WONDERFUL problem to have. I thought for sure I was still going to need either a 2XL or XL belt - fit comfortably into a large! WOOOOPEEEEE! Tooo cool!

Felt like I was trying to fight off something the last few days too - so have been trying to take it easy. Did spend a few hours outside trying to weed a rockery that has been neglected and overgrown for a few years at least. Cactus and yucca have taken over as well as a thick mat of grass, got to dig through very cautiously as the cacti are well endowed with spikes about 3 inches long! So while I haven't been doing any heavy working out, I am still moving and getting some sun and outside time.

Shamia, you are welcome to ramble here anytime you like - it is like friends having a chat over a nice cup of tea or coffee. I am always happy when people bother to talk and share their thoughts.

Beach Teach, I don't use bleach but do use vinegar and peroxide and thus far no-one (aside from me) has shown any signs of getting sick. Every time I feel something coming on I just slam it with fermented raw garlic and silverbiotics and kefir and ...and ... and.... It really seems to work. Course I can't get DS to even take Tylenol without throwing up so raw garlic is not even on the books ...
    Last edited by Coll; 03-31-2012 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Spelling

Breakfast: Omlette with minced beef. 1/2 avo. Black tea with cream and stevia.
    Lunch: small piece of sausage, nuts, few bites of bell pepper but it was off... 2 pieces of dark chocolate.
    Dinner: Bacon and omlette.

DS much better and not better. Hardly slept last night and he is Mr. Grumpypants today! Still got a low grade fever and coughing - which makes him madder than a wet hen. Managed to get a liquid form of Tylenol in him with only minor contorsions to get it down without puking.

I got to have the whole afternoon and early evening to myself! WOW, I feel like a new person after being just Coll and not mommy. Went to my music lesson - I totally sucked, combination of no sleep and not enough practice lately with DS not being well and all the other family crap that has been going on. But, it was still fun and inspiring and got to watch the pipeband practicing for their first competition of the season. Gets me all excited and ready to practice my little heart out again. I just have to get on top of the basics - soon be learning my first tune (only on the practice chanter though)

Driving home I was on the verge of getting cramps in my legs ... inner thigh. I was imagining how on earth I would get off the road with my leg in a full blown cramp. Thank heavens it held out until I got home. Still feels a bit tender and irritated.

Going to try for an early night tonight. Am pooped!

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Coll- I just read through your journal and really enjoyed it. I got the whole thing at one whack, so my comments may seem a bit dis-jointed.
    First, I hope your skin thing is something that will be helped by primal living. Wow! It looks so painful.
    I was intrigued that you have done a 40-day fast. How about relating your experiences with that?
    Awesome on the parade candy for chocolate swap-out. My kids still like their Easter treats, but I am going to be putting quarters in half of the eggs this year. I wish there were more dark chocolate Easter goodies.
    Have you measured yet? I'm so glad I took my measurements early on. When the scale isn't moving, it is nice to see the inches coming off. I also did a tree-ring type of sketch of my beginning waist measurements, and my progress. It is a great visual to see the outer layer that has 'come off'.
    Looking forward to following you day by day.
    Sabine

Sabine, thanks for your reply I needed the reminder to measure - I was going to do that a little while ago but life interfered and I forgot! I am going to do that today - I love the idea of the tree ring And your idea of putting quarters into some eggs is awesome, the kids will love that!

My skin condition has not responded yet - but I am still early days on primal living. I was doing a treatment at the time of the pic so that is why it was painful, not usually. Just unsightly I really believe that in time the changes are going to happen. But there are first many years of junk and all kinds of toxins to evict from my poor body. Hopefully one day I will be able to say," I used to have an autoimmune disease called Disseminated Superficial Actinic Porokeratosis, but now my skin is clear and healthy!" I have decided that the extra long names are for conditions where the medical profession have no idea why or what you have or how to treat it. I am really hoping that the primal lifestyle is going to prevent my kids from getting this too as it can be passed on from generation to generation.

You know, I did the 40 day fast many years ago ... I think it was in the year of 1996 and 1997. I did the fast in 1996 and then again 1997. I was doing it for spiritual reasons but physically it was pretty wild. I was working as an RN on night shift, 7 X 12 hour shifts in a row in ICU and then 7 days off. I didn't do only water though it was mostly water. I did drink a little coffee (in the days before coffee disagreed with me) to keep me awake at night and the occasional fruit juice ( very seldom) Once in a while a bit of milk (pasteurized etc as I had no idea about nutrition in those days - only CW) The first few days were tough, but once I got over the carb flu ( I am guessing) I felt really really good most of the time. I did get tired climbing stairs and didn't have the energy to do lots of exercise. But, it was as if I was on a total high a lot of the time and I really wasn't particularly hungry. In fact I used to cook yummy meals for my friend and her husband just because I wanted to and while I enjoyed the smell it wasn't anything I couldn't resist. I lost TONS of weight really fast, my clothes were falling off me and my belt was at its smallest notch and still loose. I felt great clarity of thought and it really was a good experience. It seemed that every sunset was almost too beautiful to bear and it seemed that I could see more and experience more deeply the beauty of creation and it was certainly a big spiritual high for me.

Unfortunately, I had no idea about what to eat and once I started eating again I gained weight really fast. I wasn't overweight before the fast (maybe a few pounds) but it started to pack on after that ... way too many carbs as always. My downfall was always sweets / candy and loads of chips.

I have to say that the way I feel now on the primal diet is similar though less intense than the 40 day fast. I have no cravings anymore and I feel so much more clear thinking and peaceful. The carbs seem to create a lot of angst and agitation in me. The last number of years I have been unable to fast due to feeling so bad (suagr blues) whereas now I can happily miss meals without any bad sensations - love it.

BeachTeach is offline Senior Member
    Just a quick post--I bought iodized sea salt and started using that, and my leg cramps are almost gone. The only other time I see them is if I haven't had enough water. Can't imagine what I'd do if my leg sproinged up like that while driving!

And I am in awe of your 40-day fast. Maybe this summer while I'm off work I'll try to work up to one week--I'm a wimp!
    I blog about living life to the fullest at The Hairy Edge. Check it out! (Or not. We can still be friends. )

Page 7 of 142 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast