Page 69 of 141 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179119 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal journal : Coll page 69

Coll is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Well, DH got home on Saturday safe and sound - yippee! We celebrated Valentine's day yesterday... I made paleo breakfast bread which was a major hit with the family We had that with bacon and we topped the bread with raspberries and whipped cream. Then we had a mid day tea with the tea set and all, and I tried a recipe for blueberry cupcakes which was another resounding success. I scored big time yesterday Of course we all had a feast and today I get to apply myself to eating better again.

I saw myself in the mirror yesterday when I went to have my hair trimmed, was rather discouraged at a glimpse of my face and arms - I am looking bloated at the moment! And unhealthy. So depressing ...

We got our 'new' computer last week but only got around to hooking it all up yesterday - only to have it not work! Something not working and no answer yet from the customer service number, will have to keep calling and be the squeaky wheel I guess! Big drat! So now I am having to use hubby's work computer when he is out of the office - doesn't make for easy internet access. I know i need to start tracking my macros again - only thing that seems to help.
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 13 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 227 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." Robert Frost.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    I think journaling my food on paleotrack was a big factor in my success. Nothing like having to type in all that stuff to keep your mind primal! Plus you always know where you are and what you need for the rest of the day. On the down side, I am trying to cut my computer usage, and I really need to have the computer on all of the time if I'm going to journal my food. Those carbs!
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Yes I agree Siobhan, I just know where I am at as far as what is still available to eat for the rest of the day...

Well, the craziness continues... we bought a refurbished computer since the other one is really old and just limping along, barely. Got it all set up - and there is something wrong with it and we have had to send it back. So we thought we'd just hook up the old one since it is better than nothing - and that seems to have died now too! Our vehicle has started showing signs of transmission woes since we took our other vehicle to my folks, and there is some electrical thing going on in it too ... We have been told that there is a further delay until we can get all our taxes done since we have some complicated family tax things .... and that means another delay on buying a place of our own. Yesterday was not a good one I confess - emotionally that is. Just down and frustrated and feeling rather hopeless about everything. I am feeling better today again - I can do nothing to change my circumstances at this point - but I can change my attitude. So I am going to be grateful for my wonderful family and a warm house and good food and a business computer that I can get on from time to time. I am going to use this time to get my desk squared away and ready to be a standing work station again ... I think sitting at my desk is contributing to my back pain (duh!) and I know that when I have to stand to do computer stuff it does limit my time wasted online! When I need to sit down today I am going to work on my moccassins again - there was a bit of a pause as I tried to figure out some tweaks in the pattern as it was not going to work as it was. I am not used to working in 3D so it is a stretch to figure out how much to adjust things.

Yesterday is a bit of a blur as far as food goes - but I didn't have much in the way of carbs nonetheless - probably around 50 gms is my guess. Going to try and track today and see how I do... Got to go and get the kids going - late start to the day as far as school goes - but then that is the joy of homeschool. It fits in with my schedule and I needed to just set my focus a bit before I took off running.

"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." Robert Frost.

I have not been feeling too good about myself lately - just feeling bloated and ugly. I was delighted when the chiropractor asked me if I had lost more weight!! He said I look as though I have dropped a bunch more - told him he made my day even though I have actually gained a bit back lately. It was a nice boost I left with a smile and a back feeling much better.

I have been hunting around for some kind of exercise program that incorporates stretching and strengthening and have found what seems to be exactly what I was looking for. I am working on learning some of the very basic movements and am going to see how that affects my back and posture. It sounds like it could be perfect for our whole family ... hopeful that I can get help for DS too since he has ongoing back pain if we don't see the chiro regularly. I want to try and help correct some of the causes of the pain, muscles that have shortened and others that are weak and not supporting as they should. This seems a very safe and yet effective training programme. We'll see how it goes...

Started tracking again today .... paleotrack this time. They do seem more primal friendly than some of the other sites I tried I think I have eaten enough today, but am not ready to fast until lunch tomorrow. I really want to get back into the routine of skipping breakfast again - just much easier to keep my macros in manageable range if I only eat two meals every day. So I am going to eat dinner - roast chicken and am going to try roast cauliflower for the first time today. At least it is a totally primal meal And my carbs are only 50+gm so far so not too bad for a first day tracking. I had some apple and I know that that pushed it up - otherwise it would have been under 50. Not going to sweat that ... big improvement from a bar or two of chocolate every day!!! So glad that the chocolate monster is wrestling with itself and I am on the sidelines - much nicer. It is an awful feeling to be so out of control .....

ecks is offline Senior Member
    There is evidence that skipping lunch or supper are safer meals. Apparently getting nourishment in the morning within half an hour triggers your internal clock to wake you up naturally because there is a physiological need to be awake... that is unless you replace breakfast with sex... I'm sure sex would be a good reason to wake up
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

The thing is that dinner is the one meal we eat together as a family and I don't want to change that - DH is usually gone for the other meals of the day. Also, I just don't have the willpower to not eat lunch as by then I am hungry. Breakfast I am not usually hungry and am busy running around doing chores (believe me being outside in the snow and cold wakes me up just fine!!) and getting everyone else going for the day, making kids breakfast etc. Hopefully I am not doing myself a disservice by skipping breakfast - but I also have never had a problem getting going in the morning either. I am not a person who needs coffee or various other things to get me going ... DS and I are both the bounce out of bed types while DD and DH are the ones that have a bit more of a hard time getting going in the morning (and both of them prefer to be up late ...) Not that DD gets to be up late - bedtime is 8 pm with occasional exceptions.

Waiting rather impatiently for our replacement computer to arrive. Hubby's work computer is not set up with all the programs that I need. Fortunately I did a bunch of printing for the kids school recently so I am ahead of them as far as the paperwork goes. I have been rigging up a standing station again for the new computer. Just cardboard boxes at the moment. Maybe once we have our own home DH can make me something more sturdy that will work. DS was feverish and not feeling good at all yesterday, so I pulled out everything I could think of to boost his immunity. He doesn't like turmeric tea unfortunately, but I do give him turmeric in capsule form, maybe I should double the dose while he isn't feeling good. I made sure his scrambled eggs had pepper in so that the turmeric would be more effective. Silverbiotics, homeopathics, Vit D3, codliver oil ... garlic .... kefir, kombucha.... He seems better today though not totally well, so he is lying around listening to audiobooks and playing with legos. And DD gets to do the same - just don't feel like trying to do school with only one kid, don't feel like the battle it would entail.

I am busy making a big old pot of chicken soup today - Jewish antibiotic I had frozen some carcasses from various roasts along the way, one of which I just froze whole - meat and all. So now they are bubbling away on the stove and we'll have that and kale chips for dinner. And berries and cream for dessert. Lunch - not sure... will have to go and peruse the fridge. I think we have used up all the leftovers. Bell peppers are on sale at the moment - all the lovely bright coloured ones ($1 each!) so I think I may do bell pepper, cucumber, raw carrots and lettuce dipped in the greek yoghurt dip. A chunk of cheese and maybe a can of sardines or kippers or an organic hotdog. Depends on the food levels in the fridge. What I wouldn't do for a root cellar!!!

The dairy where I buy my milk and eggs has upped the price of the eggs to $5.25 a dozen! It pains me to pay that much for eggs - but I refuse to buy eggs laid by hens in torture chambers either. I can't wait to have our own place and have a laying flock again!!! The kids and I had a big conversation the other day about the hens that we will be having and how they are not going to be pets and how we will be eating them when their laying days are done. Many tears were shed by both the kids .... but they are just going to have to realise that chickens are a utility animal and that while they each have a pet bantam, the others are there to provide eggs and meat for us. When they were younger it was not such an issue, but they understand the finality of death much more now.

DS has managed to kick the bug without more than a few days of low grade fever. Yippee! The kids and I got to go sledding for the first time in our lives yesterday! What a blast - and what good exercise! I am itching to get in better shape - it was awkward trying to do the sledding with my big body and unfit legs! At least we were the only ones there - lovely to forget about the house hunting and car and computer troubles for a while and just play. I am not good at playing most of the time - not too sure how in some ways. But i am learning...

Hoping the new computer gets here soon - my whole life seems to be on hold until such time as the computer is up and running. Oh well, at least I can use this one from time to time. Just don't have time to read everyone's journals - barely have time to write in my own ... hope to be getting more active as the situation improves.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Here's to the new computer!

I vary between skipping breakfast and skipping dinner. Often I just forget to eat breakfast, but I never really was a breakfast person. If I eat a reasonable lunch, there is no reason to eat dinner, or I'm not hungry until it is too late anyway. But that is just me, and if I had a family around it would be different.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

The new computer came and was not working - it is on its way back and then to wait for the replacement! The whole family got the bug - now, after thinking I would get away with not getting it, I have a really heavy dose of the lurgy!!! Yuk, feverish for a couple of days and nothing seems to help. Sinuses on fire, eyes and throat burning and eyes running the whole time. Hopefully tonight I get some sleep ... I was so desperate last night that I took Nyquil - and while it did stop the incessant running nose and sneezing I got all agitated and felt awful. Instead of sleeping I was half awake all night with restless legs. I need my computer!!!!!!!!!!!! Going to climb back into bed now - see you all soon.