Page 6 of 150 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal journal : Coll page 6

Coll is offline Senior Member
    Thanks BeachTeach. I appreciate your words of encouragement. You are right I know... an emotional issue only really. And it is true that I am noticing changes, slow but changes nonetheless. I think it is a great idea to measure myself too! I think I will do that tomorrow.

Well, a pretty good day overall despite getting to bed late last night and having a late start to the day this morning as a result.

Breakfast: 2 1/2 fried eggs, 1 chicken drumstick, black tea with cream and stevia
    Snack: handful of nuts, 3 raisins, and a mandarin
    Lunch: left over salmon, cauliflower, black tea with cream and stevia
    Dinner: sausage, sauerkraut, salad, strawberries with cream (on sale, organic for less than conventional and fresh too!)

The kids and I went to the lake for a nature outing for school, we rode our bikes there and crossed the river and explored I had a great time and the kids are EXHAUSTED this evening. I am pretty tired too as I also did some pretty heavy weeding for a while as well as moving some small rocks around. Tomorrow we are supposed to get started on building the raised veggie gardens with our landlords. We'll see how it goes, he is so excited and hasn't really thought things through yet ... kind of visionary but not much connection to reality. We'll see how they hold up under a day of toil under the sun - very white collar folks (not that there is anything wrong with that - just they really don't know what hard work this is, physically) Should be interesting seeing all the dynamics tomorrow. Very nice folks by the way, great landlords!

Looking forward to tomorrow ... itching to plant and get things set up for a whole lovely season of growing our own veggies! Nothing more fun than seeing those little plants growing and then harvesting all those lovely fresh organic veggies! (and hopefully fruits too!

Not all that sure exactly what I ate today but it was all on the lifestyle. We spent the day helping the landlords putting together 8 raised garden beds (just the frames) and DH mowed down a pretty good section of the pasture area we'll be using for these. The horses were not very friendly though - acted really strangely with DH and the landlord. I wasn't there ... The landlord and his wife were very excited and happy about the progress and I was impressed with the enthusiasm shown. They also want me to help their two apple trees that have been very neglected and try to prune them back to health! Quite a challenge for me but exciting too. I tried to tell them that I am no expert, but they just said that they know so little about this that I AM the resident expert We get to share the apple harvest and money off our rent in return - pretty cool huh?! And I get all kinds of exercise. The area is totally overgrown with grass which is a difficult thing to try and get out of there ... I did a little area around the grapevine yesterday and that took me quite a while - and I know there are still roots down there just waiting to send up new shoots.

The cherry trees that I have been babying along are sending out new shoots! Quite a thrill seeing the TLC having effect... Just got to trim the dead branches that are more obvious now. Landlords also want us to help them put in some grapes and maybe an arbour. This is fun! I had plenty exercise today what with walking back and forth to the pasture multiple times, scraping concrete off the wood we used, lifting frames onto the trailer and then off again and I had lots of sun ... went inside after a few hours because I don't want to get my skin condition agitated by getting burned. But, I am getting some colour again after being a snow white cabin fever freak Actually no cabin fever as this has been the 4th warmest winter on record (since the 1890's I think) and we are having a really early spring by the looks of it!

Going to sleep well tonight and the kids are out already, another busy day in and out of the house with loads of exercise and sunshine.

I am noticing that my face looks slimmer, my neck looks more lean than it has for a long time. Some of my pants that I was on the verge of being too big for, are now close to being too big for me Others that I was feeling a little uncomfortable in last summer, are feeling nice at the moment. I have to agree that this lifestyle is very natural feeling for me, it is not hard to figure out what to eat and the meals can be super simple. We were late getting to dinner tonights as we were busy outside until late. Just threw some breakfast sausage in the pan, some fried eggs and the kids each had a piece of fruit. Nothing to write home about, but ok for last minute 'convenience' food.

Shamia is offline Senior Member
    Hi Coll!! Your garden will be amazing! And you áre the resident expert! Love the term and you should take that as the compliment it is
    Looks like you are getting actual real primal exercise! Ok, they built huts, you build a garden, but still! Hauling rocks and wood counts! You're probably doing better than most of us

I got the dehydrator switched on! So excited to see what will come of it.. at least the house smells fabulous. And the smoker has been busy since 6 AM with that brisket.

How's your tan coming? Me thinks you are getting your daily recommended dose of Vit D with ease!

See you are getting slimmer and healthier and toned! trust the mirror, not the bloody scale!

xo

D: Thanks Shamia... I do want to get some sprints in sometime soon, though I nearly had to sprint away from some horses that are acting weird fortunately flapping my jacket around kept them at a distance. Not sure what they are on about - both rescued and possibly with some issues toward people. I don't know how to deal with crazy horses, just familiar with the ones that like people.

My tan is very slight still. I have to wear a long sleeved shirt to protect my arm while it gets back to normal. But there is a hint of colour now where there was none before... I am still supplementing with the D3 as I am not getting enough skin exposed to the sun for long enough. They say you need to expose a large percentage of your skin for at least half an hour at the peak of the sun. Well, there is no way I am getting into a swimsuit with so many people around! Too many people around this place all the time, the bike path is very busy and I still need to figure out a spot that I can lie in the sun without being observed I may be losing fat but I am still large and lumpy

I am feeling better about the scale at the moment... not having any cravings for scale time, ha ha. I just figure if I keep moving and doing stuff outside it will certainly count towards the exercise side of this lifestyle.

Me thinks your physical health is a whole lot more important than those bikers! And you're not large and lumpy, there's just a lot of curvacious you to love. Seriously, if peeking people are not liking what they see, they can turn their heads and look the other way. I'm pretty certain though that they are not looking at you the way you think they are. They just see a woman working in the garden or laying in the grass having a nap. Or they may just be admiring your garden I understand that you would look a bit silly now, with one long sleeve and all. Hope your arm follows with the program soon and clears up all and completely!

Ha ha - you are good for me Shamia! Just loads of me to love I think I am going to figure out a semi- private spot to hang out for a while in the lovely spring sunshine! Maybe between the trailer and the chickens and behind the shed .....

Well, my arm is showing signs that the lesions are not gone and are in fact coming back. I am wondering how much of this is related to mercury toxicity as I have a lot of mercury fillings and have had loads of immunisations over the years (childhood and then with nursing we got a whole bunch more ) I am hoping that one day we'll have the money to get these damn fillings out and get me detoxified. I just have to hope that the PB will help too... no sugar and no wheat and no legumes has got to help eventually. Just try to do my best and see what happens. My arm is however much more normal looking now and hopefully in the next week or so I'll be able to get it in the sun properly.

Breakfast: 2 1/2 fried eggs, 4 breakfast sausages, 1 bell pepper, 1 square of dark chocolate (85%) Black tea with cream and stevia
    Lunch: greek yoghurt with almonds and a few strawberries. Tiny slice of welsh cheddar. Black tea with cream and stevia.
    Dinner: 2 burgers (with cheese) in red cabbage leaves and salad. YUM!

Took it easier today exercise wise, pruned a couple of trees, walked the dog, checked on the garden boxes in the pasture with regards to the position of the sun - more than 8 hours sunlight, so we're good to go from that perspective.

We'll have to see how this gardening thing turns out - the landlord is very impressed with CW and this means that my gardening methods don't carry much weight with him. Most of the things I have suggested he has gone and asked CW people and they of course have the opposite opinion. I have my doubts as to how well this whole thing is going to work as he rushes around asking everyone's advice and everyone contradicts each other. I think he is going to drive me and himself quite crazy in the process. I have told him what we need to do for an effective, 'low' maintenance garden. I can see he is going to go ahead and do something else and then expect me to fix it for them. Not going to happen ... he wants to do something else he gets to play with it and maybe he'll learn a thing or two. I am pretty disappointed this evening, but maybe he'll come around. Time will tell but I am not holding my breath... it is incredible how powerful the CW is and how people just throw their perfectly good brains away as soon as a scientist or esteemed CW person says anything. I mean if that person says it it has to be true right!!? Grrrr!

Frustrating day in lots of ways and I feel like I need a session with a punching bag!

Can't you tell him that added chemicals (unnatural fertilizer etc) acumulate in crops and that you thought he wanted to actually eat whatever you guys can harvest? Can't you tell him he doesn't have to do anything, just enjoy the garden and his part of the harvest, that you'll take care of the garden (your way, but you promise to do your best to get the biggest harvest you can?). Ok, maybe not yet, as this is still the fad of the day, but in a week or so?
    If he uses chemicals, that will affect your part too
    (Does he like the deer and rabbits etc? Maybe you can tell him it kills bunnies? )

I have tried to talk to him and he seems to hear me and then turns around and says the opposite thing. We are now just waiting to see what he decides... we are just going to bow out gracefully if he uses stuff that isn't going to be good. I think he is a bit of a control freak actually and just can't bear to not be in the thick of the action. He won't trust anything I tell him and runs off and asks all the people who think conventional farming is the way to go. He has assured me that he is going to go with organic but now is talking about a whole bunch more work (totally unnecessary and more expensive in the long run) and going to require all kinds of work to try and get everything balanced and healthy for plants to grow in. I just think he is going to bite off more than he can chew and then not be able to carry it all through and none of us will have a decent garden to grow stuff in.... hopefully I am being pessimistic and he will see the light. I have lent him a good book about it and hopefully he will read it and change his mind a bit.

I was really looking forward to this project and it is rather awkward now ... I guess that while he says he thinks I am 'an expert' he doesn't really think so He is a big knob in his line of work and I think I am just a little too down to earth and don't brag enough and wear old scruffy clothes when outside so I am not particularly impressive. But I am just going to relax about the whole thing and leave them to figure it out by themselves. I am going to probably go ahead and buy a few berry bushes and plant them in large pots so I can take them with me when we leave.

You know, Shamia, I would just love to find a primal village and others who think similarly. What a treat that would be!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Today, pretty good one overall though school was a bit of a workout with DD.

Breakfast: 2 1/2 fried eggs, one burger pattie, black tea with cream and stevia.
    Lunch: greek yoghurt with almonds and strawberries. Black tea with cream and stevia
    Dinner: We had a feast tonight Chicken drumsticks grilled, artichoke with garlic butter, brusselsprouts, berries and cream for dessert. SSSSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOO yummy!

Found some good deals on meat at the store so I bought some reasonably healthy meat to make some biltong. Found some grassfed organic ground beef for $4.99/ pound! Bought 4 packs I really enjoyed the burgers in the cabbage last night and want to repeat soon!

My pants are getting too big ... even the jeans that were too small a few weeks ago are definitely not going to work too much longer without a belt. I need to dig out all the belts I own and see if there is one that could work for a little while. I have spent the whole day hitching my britches (even my underwear is falling down now) DD told me this evening at bedtime that she thinks I look really nice - but she doesn't want me to get too slim! Wonder what that is all about?! Funny girl, but at least I know she doesn't think I look awful.

Tomorrow is a day at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science with the family. Looking forward to it, should log a good few miles in the process and lots of time on our feet too.

Funny, even after such a delicious meal I am still feeling a little ketotic. Not hungry at all, just thirsty and like I am burning up some more fat! I am noticing that my belly is shrinking, my rolls are fading away. Hallelujah! I am starting to get a slightly more curvy shape and less bulgy. Unfortunately, less of me to love LOL. Another thing that I have noticed is that my skin on my face feels so much softer and smoother since I have changed my diet. I have also not had the money to replace my skin moisturizer so I made one out of jojoba oil and some essential oils that I have and I love it. It smells awesome and now I am sad that I didn't write down the recipe so that I can make it exactly the same next time! I made DH some aftershave that he loved but I also didn't write that recipe down! Do you think I should learn this lesson now? Sigh.

DD asked me this evening when I was setting the food out on the table, " but where is the real food mom?" when I had only brought the vegetables She was looking for the meat - the apple doesn't fall far from the tree there! DS has discovered that he adores chicken legs - always delightful to find another food that he likes.

Page 6 of 150 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast