Page 3 of 149 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal journal : Coll page 3

Coll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    213.5 lbs - went up 1/2 a pound after the miso soup. Just didn't sit well in my stomach though it did taste great. DH also said it didn't sit right for him so the miso is out. I felt weird last night and this morning - bloated and didn't feel great. Wasn't hungry at all until lunch time. Feel much better this evening and more back to feeling good. Spent most of the day outside, digging in the garden (lovely spring day!) and collecting stones /rocks and weeding, watering etc. Wonderful day - first day with weather nice enough to wear shorts ... felt wondeful to have the sun and fresh air. Unfortunately had to wear long sleeves because of my arm that is still healing and very tender to the sun's rays.

Breakfast: None but did have a cup of black tea with cream and stevia.
    Lunch: 1 1/2 sausages. Greek yoghurt with a few almonds and strawberries. Black tea with raw milk/ cream and stevia.
    Dinner: 2 fried eggs and 6 slices bacon Is that too much? I feel pretty good right now. Distinct lack of vegetables today.

Kids tired out tonight and I am not far behind them Been a busy and satisfying day. No homeschool today - just blew it off completely and the kids were very silent about school LOL. Oh well, we'll hit it again Monday. I am noticing that my son is suddenly drinking a bunch more water than usual and this evening he complained of a headache. I have a feeling he is experiencing a little carb 'flu. I have just cut way back on the amount of bread he gets (only Ezekiel bread) and he is down to one or two slices a day with some days none at all. I have told the kids I am not buying any more bread when this loaf is finished. I think DS is rather sad as it has been his staple as long as he can remember... Am going to try making some paleo bread and see if they find it palatable. It would be nice to have a 'replacement' of sorts. Made the plain greek yoghurt into vanilla yoghurt with a little honey and a splash of homemade vanilla extract. They LOVED it It is always nice to find something they really enjoy that is good for them. Just going to keep on trying out different paleo / primal recipes until we have our own selection of things that are permissible and healthy.

Am looking forward to making healthy homemade icecream again as the weather warms up - yummy! And I don't even need to feel guilty for eating it

Funny, DH and I were talking about the annual family reunion coming up in July and saying how I am going to have to put together a whole bunch of food to take with us! Most of the family is VERY into the low fat high carb diet and we are sure to come under fire for our shocking eating habits! Hopefully by then I will have lost more weight and be even healthier so that I am a good example of how living this way is good for us! Guess we'll see ... planning on making a big batch of biltong (dried raw meat South African style) to take with us and then some veggies that are easy to eat without any real preparation. A chunk or two of butter Whole bunch of boiled eggs and raw milk.. could make smoothies with raw eggs and some berries now that I think of it... again we'll see what comes of this. Maybe we can find a place that can cope with primal and CW people!

Slept badly last night, something woke me up with a start soon after falling asleep and then couldn't settle properly. My guess is it may have been the coyotes outside our window as I had some pretty interesting coyote dreams I lost more weight - 212 lbs this morning! Wow! THis is fun.... a jacket that was most uncomfortably tight is just nice now - amazing how just 13.5 lbs can make such a difference in how I feel. Heading outdoors again to do a bunch of yard work etc. Itching to get going ...

I noticed the last few days I have pimples showing up all over my body... just a few here and there. But I haven't had pimples in ages so I am assuming that I must be detoxing at the moment. Will boost my supplements - multivitamin, vit D3, Kelp, cinnamon, turmeric, chlorella (just restarting today) rosehips, codliver oil ( doing a little better with getting it regularly now)
    Last edited by Coll; 03-11-2012 at 09:33 AM.

Day 14. Breakfast: 3 slices of bacon, 2 fried eggs.
    Lunch: sardines - 1 tin, celery with tamari and peanutbutter, cauliflower, slice of cheese.
    Snack: handful of salted cashews
    Dinner: Ribeye steak, steamed artichoke dipped in garlic butter.

Another good day Felt great when I got going this morning despite a horrid night. Was amazingly energetic again despite my lack of sleep and had no cravings either. Usually, lack of sleep translates into overeating especially chocolate but also graze all day. In fact, I actually helped DH picking out some stuff in the candy aisle (for marketing) without even thinking about getting anything!!!! This is a BIIIIIGGG deal for me folks! I just thought to myself as I wandered around - I love the way I am feeling as I lose weight & gain health, and it is so much more satisfying than a short term chocolate high!!

I picked up a ton of dog poop today and squatted for each one pretty busy physically today. I did find myself wanting to do the LHT - but there was too much going on with DH home for a change... hope to do that tomorrow, no promises though Found a branch on the tree in the backyard that has potential as a pull up bar... will cart a chair out and try it out ... wonder what the neighbours will think? Seeing a fat lady out in the backyard trying to do pullups on a tree branch LOL - hope they don't call the people with the white coats!!!! Oh, I got the chuckles picturing that one ... my kids are amazingly tolerant of all the crazy stuff I get up to. I hope they will join in as we go along. Will let you know if the tree branch works or if it even holds up. There is some definite spring in the branch

I am off to bed this evening of spring daylight savings .... night all.

Day 15. It is exactly 4 weeks since I first started eating primal - I weighed 225.5 lbs and now am down to a much happier 212 lbs!!! Incredible. I do feel almost guilty that it is coming off me so easily. I have struggled so long with my weight that I feel as though I am cheating because I am having such a good time losing this weight. I don't feel deprived or craving other stuff. My body is just thrilled with the new lifestyle and I feel as though I am rediscovering the real me, the one I have almost given up on for years now. I had this horrid, scarey feeling that I was never ever going to dump the fat and just freaked out at the thought. I have had so many people tell me that I just need to resign myself to gaining weight as I get older - and that always makes me madder than a snake!! A part of me that rebels and says ,"Over my dead body!" I REFUSE to give up my ideal of a healthy lean and fit me!!!! And now I see it is coming together. Last night I was so excited that I almost couldn't get to sleep... I kept thinking about if I can keep going (no reason not to - I love this!) I should be lighter than I have been for about 10 years within the next few months!! And then, the thought of having to give away all my clothes because even my 'thin' clothes are going to be fat clothes once I get closer to my goal weight! MAN, I am going to have a blast!

Today I did some heavy digging and turning over soil for a garden bed. My goodness I certainly did huff and puff. But, I didn't sweat one drop!!! Talk about weird! When does my body kick into sweating again? I didn't have deodorant on and yet I smell almost as fresh as a daisy this evening after working physically hard this morning for a few hours! I am guessing this is part of the leptin reset still not being 100% done. I am drinking a lot more than I was - still thirsty a lot of the time, my urine is clear so I am not dehydrated. Guess we'll see if I start sweating again soon. I mean I was in the sun, 70 F which is plenty warm enough for me to work up a sweat, and working hard enough that I had to stop every few minutes to catch my breath and let my pulse rate drop a little. Very interesting.

Breakfast: 1 1/2 slices bacon (thick) 2 fried eggs. Black tea with half and half and stevia. I miss the heavy whipping cream but it is too expensive at the moment. Once the money situation is better you can bet your bottom dollar I am going back to the HWC.
    Lunch: 1 tin of kippered herrings, greek yoghurt with 1/4 apple sliced in and a few almonds.
    Snack: Small handful of cashews (roasted and salted)
    Dinner: German sausage, sauerkraut, cauliflower, broccoli, bell pepper, carrots, about 1 tablespoon salad dressing. Still hungry so had about half a TBSP of butter. Yum

Still not sleeping the best... DH and I both have had a couple of particularly bad nights of tossing and turning. Big temperature changes the last few days (instead of upper teens and low 20's at night it is in 40's!) and daytime, is up from 30's, to 60's and 70's. Just gorgeous for being outside, but I think our bodies are in shock plus I know there is still some adjusting going on to our changes in eating. Just hope it isn't long 'til I am sleeping like a log again! I usually sleep really well and am not enjoying the bad nights. The kids are changing too now that DH and I are eating differently. I can see DD has become quite a bit leaner (not that she was fat at all ...) and her face is looking different. She even noticed it - she's only 9. DS is doing pretty well considering what a hard time he has eating. I found it so helpful reading about sensory disorders as it opened my eyes to my own issues with this as well as both the kids. DS is also looking leaner and we noticed his little abs are showing more - so cute! DD acne is MUCH better too. DH has lost 3.5 lbs too ... overall we are doing good. I have a long way to go - but not as far as 1 month ago!

Day 16. Not the best day today... just felt a bit down and tired. Another night of poor sleep. This afternoon I felt awful - ended up overeating ... typical trying to eat for energy and a pick me up. FOrtunately I don't have anything bad in the house ... I had such a high yesterday and today I just felt overwhelmed and afraid that I will never get down to a good weight and be lean and fit again. Must be hormones messing with me!!!

Breakfast: 4 slices bacon, 2 fried eggs. Black tea with cream and stevia.
    Lunch: Greek yoghurt with honey and vanilla and almonds. This was a mistake as I usually have it plain and it tasted too sweet and got me craving more. 1/4 apple and hotdog.
    Snack: chunk of cheese, 3 macaroons, handful of cashews
    Dinner: ground beef with veggies and strawberries and cream for dessert.

Not a good day all in all - but I guess it could have been a lot worse. I think next time I am going to try and have a bigger breakfast ... I also ate over a long period of time as was trying to cook the kids and DH breakfast at the same time. I weighed myself this morning and was upset to see that I had gained back a pound ... I know it comes and goes willy nilly sometimes and I know I shouldn't fret - but I did anyway. Am going to leave the scale for a few days now and just try to relax. I am feeling a bit irritated with the library even though I know it is nothing personal, been waiting for the Primal Blueprint for a couple of months now and I feel like I have tool bags but they are half empty. I thought for sure the book would have been here a couple of weeks ago at the very latest. Well, I will just keep trying to keep on trying. Needing a boost of some kind today - maybe an early night and good sleep for a change.

Shamia is offline Senior Member
    Hi Coll!
    Here's your personal coach! Here to cheer you up

I'm so happy your arm is better! Hopefully, there will be no more flare ups and that you can enjoy sun on your skin soon. I realized how important sun to your skin is. But the vit D will help too! Silly CW, telling us all these years to stay out of the sun...

What plans have you got for your garden? Did you shoot (and eat!) the deer? Or would that have upset the neighbors too much?
    I heard that goat meat is really inexpensive, but when slow cooked very very yum, maybe you can see about that? Not sure of course if that is the same in the US, but maybe worth a shot. It's a lean meat, unfortunately, but you can always add butter
    6 pieces of bacon sounds like a good amount to me, but I may be biased. Lol

Goat wrapped in bacon sounds rather nice also.. Oh well.. anything wrapped in bacon sounds good to me!

My book said to stop all digital influences about two hours before you go to bed. I have the 21 day challenge book, not the primal blueprint, by the way - I'm ordering the PB today, but that's one of the things that I took from it. I think it makes sense (albeit not really easy to do - not sure about you, but after cooking, eating, washing up, feeding the pets etc, two hours before bed is about the time I start my computer/drop down in front of the tv )

I'm so happy that your family visibly benefits from this, I mean, we know it's good because we read into it and because we feel it is, but to see the results and to see that darned scale go down.. that's bonus!
    And 13.5 pounds down is a lot!

Exercise wise, I think you're doing pretty ok. Maybe even too much? Turning soil is hard work and equals a hard day workout in the book. Which means that the days you feel tired, you probably need a day off from exercise. That's a replenish the glucose in your liver-day.

(I'm trying to not be sitting still for more than 30 mins today.. I work at a law firm as a secretary.. how I'm supposed to do that? I got no clue.. lol!)

Hang in there!! Oh, and if you're tired during the day - take a nap Advice from Mark!

THanks for your cheerleading! I needed that! I have to agree that anything wrapped in bacon sounds totally scrumptious. I was wondering about the digital stuff too, last night I quit the computer earlier than usual and then finished my shower off pretty cool, too chicken to do it quickly so just gradually cooled it down until I had goosebumps but not freezing and I fell asleep nice and quickly. Unfortunately the kids woke me up about 4 times in the night so it still wasn't a good night. But I fell asleep quickly between disturbances. Thanks for the tips Shamia! Usually once the kids are in bed I settle in at the computer for a while or DH and I watch a movie once in a while. So that is a time that tends to get late quickly.

LOL, we are not in hunting season and I am sure the landlord's/ neighbours would be absolutely horrified if we shot the deer! Hee hee hee. We have thought about trying it quietly with bow and arrow but too many people around here and we would be seen (in hunting season of course - just trying to protect their tender sensibilities )

I have been trying to take it slower on the days where I am not feeling so spunky and then go for it on days where I have more energy. Yesterday afternoon I dragged myself outside and picked up stones and rocks in the backyard for a while but just had no oomph so gave up after a while. It is a good reminder that I need to allow my poor liver a chance to reload the glucose... you see right there is a great tip that I didn't think of because of the book... thanks.

Maybe you should develop an 'upset stomach' and run to the bathroom every half hour and then do some jumping jacks or squats or push aways while there just to get your blood moving. Or stand up and work for a while every half hour Let me know how your plan works!

Day 17: So a slightly better day today.... took it pretty easy exercise wise. Feel very much like I have used up any glycogen stores and my breath has been smelling pretty strongly of ketones today. (and last night) Putzed around the yard and did some odd chores but nothing too strenuous. Didn't sit around all day at all but certainly not much more than just moving.
    Breakfast: 3 fried eggs and 1 tin kippered herrings. Slice of red bell pepper. One mushroom. Black tea with cream and stevia
    'Lunch' - wasn't really hungry so just had a handful of nuts and black tea with cream and stevia.
    Dinner: 7 breakfast sausages, cauliflower, largish mushroom.

Ready to hit the sack early tonight.... hopefully an uninterrupted nights sleep ahead for us all.
    Got the chicken manure and straw turned under in the garden - got pretty limited space for garden (hard to find a spot the deer don't hang out ) and now I am just watering it and waiting for it to start to age a little. Kind of late to be adding chicken manure but it is such a good fertilizer .... also babying some cherry trees that the previous tenants neglected to the point that they are borderline as to whether they will survive. Our lilacs are budding out beautifully and I am looking forward to seeing what colour they are. Got a bunch of bushes and trees that I still need to identify... fun. Hoping my blueberries (in pots ) have survived the winter. I just love gardening and growing things ... it is so nice to get out and be more active. I am able to do more work and think more clearly than I have in a long time. Thinking about adding some laying hens to our little enterprise here. DH needs to find the time to build me a little coop though - so better hold off on that for now. The bantam pullets are just starting to lay but their eggs don't go very far especially when you are on a primal diet! We have had our own laying flock for years now and it has been strange with our move across the states to have just a few bantams. I hate buying store eggs and the dairy where I buy our milk and eggs, often are sold out of eggs. SO, it is time to resurrect the laying hens.

Shamia is offline Senior Member
    Hi Coll!

I promised you my chili recipe, I used store meat for this (yes, I know.. bad Shamia! But I figured that it's better to get store meat than eat bread Plus, I had to shop for food on a Sunday and that does not leave much room for being picky. The Sunday store s*cks. They had some nice organic chicken though, from free roaming chickens. That's tonights dinner.)

Feel free to double/triple recipe - we're only two at home:

two nice marrow bones (slices of bone with the marrow in it, a tiny bit of meat on the outside)
    a pound of ground beef
    3/4 pound of beef bits, unfortunately, mine were lean.
    1/2 pound bacon bits (smoked)
    2 onions, a fat carrot, a stalk of celery
    spices to taste (ground cumin, dried oregano, dried thyme, dried rosemary, chili powder, chipotle powder, onion powder, garlic powder, pepper, salt)
    Stock cube of beef, stock cube of mushroom
    tomato paste (tbsp), tomato passata (pureed tomatoes), large tin of whole canned tomatoes
    two dried ancho chilies (small)

Heat up a big pot, add coco oil or olive oil or bacon fat, add the tomato paste and spices, fry that a bit to open the flavours, add the bacon bits, put on low fire. Chop the onions, carrot and celery, add to pot, add a bit of salt and pepper, add the marrow bones to the big pot. Take a frying pan, fry up the beef bits till nice and brown in a bit of fat, add salt and pepper. Toss into big pot (incl oil). Stirr well. Add the raw ground beef to the big pot, add a bit of pepper and salt, stirr.
    Now add the rest of the ingredients. Put pot on smallest fire/hob you have and let it be happy and bubbly for the rest of the day without a lid, but at least 4 hours (stirr occasionaly - remove the marrow bones after three hours, but leave the marrow in the chili!). All the water will be gone by then and you'll have a thick, fat chili that is soooo yum!

I put the cheapest bag of salad (you know, the one with carrots, cabbage, bits and pieces of letuces, bottom shelf in the store) in the bottom of the bowl, add a couple of scoops of chili, add grated cheese on top and a dollop of sour cream.

You may want to take it easy on the chili powder and add more when the sauce is done simmering (I don't know how spicy your kids want food to be?), also you could add mushrooms (whole or quatered) for a bit more body.

It will of course be a lot better if you used grass fed beef, but I have to think about my home economics a bit too

Can you fence off your veggie patch against the deer? Or would it just jump any fence to get to the jummie vegs you so lovingly grow? (I'd so get that bow and arrow.. haha..) Maybe you can teach the children about architecture and have them build a chicken cook for you?

I found a really fun thing close to my home: an egg-vending machine! It's from free roaming chickens (I can see them, happily pecking in the grass, so real bug-fed chickens ). And I'm sorting out a raw-milk farm.. it's illegal to buy raw milk here.. but I heard that you can go there with your milk-vat and get the milk, then do a donation. Awesome! (and they have cheese too! And ghee and sometimes meat).

Have a great day!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    That chili sounds totally awesome!! I understand the store meat - we just cannot afford grass fed at the moment. Just getting the best quality store meat I can is sometimes more than we can do. And like you I figure it is still a step up from bread etc. I am thinking of using fencing where I can to fend off the dear deer! They are so pretty and I love seeing them - just don't like them eating our food.

We are planning on fencing in another area to keep the chickens separate from our dog and I am going to put in another large raised bed there. It is right next to the path the deer often take but I have some extra netting that I use to enclose the top of the chicken runs and I hope I can use that to foil their attempts to snack on our veggies

I like the sound of your egg vending machine!! It is also illegal here to buy raw milk so we have to buy shares in a cow and then can use the raw milk since we are part owners of the cow... ridiculous the lengths we have to go to, just to get something that is good for you. Of course if I want I can buy all kinds of stuff that is really bad for me - even kill me, quite legally and set up in the store for you to pick and choose your poison!! Crazy world we live in nowadays. Once we are able to financially we want to buy our own little miniature dairy cow and then no-one can tell us what we can buy. Then I want to make cheese and butter and we can have cream in everything And hopefully by then I am stabilized at a good weight and no longer leptin resistant and I could drink as much rich, creamy raw milk as I wanted!! YUM.

The kids (esp. DS) are more sensitive to the spiciness so I usually add it later in the cooking otherwise it is too spicy for them. I make a really nice "chutney" that a friend of mine from Nagaland in India taught me to make.... tomato, garlic and jalapenos and salt. DH and I add this to our chili for flavour and bite and the kids have the undoctored version ... I can't wait to try your recipe. Will have to go shopping soon

The kids are a bit small for building something on their own only 9 and 6 so may have to just make it a family effort instead. DH is in the process of building a small portable coop for our bantam chickens.... once that is done then we'll see what we can do. Poor guy has a business he is trying to get off the ground and then a whole bunch of stuff to do at home too.

I hope you can get your raw milk! And all the other delicious goodies too.

Page 3 of 149 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast