Page 29 of 145 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979129 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal journal : Coll page 29

Coll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Been a busy day. I woke up hungry for a change but was right in the middle of trying to get a dehydrator full of plums ready to go so just ate a cold sausage, a few macadamias and a lovely cup of tea with cream and stevia. Got a load in the dehydrator, decided to mix some ripe peaches and a banana and a whole bunch of plums together and blended them - got a whole bunch of fruit leather going The plums are a bit too firm to do the whole prune thing yet. Give us a few days though and I am sure they will be plenty soft by the time I get nearer the end of the process. It is now a race against time to get it all processed without losing a bunch to overripeness. DH was asking if I could make jelly and then we laughed when we realised that the only time we used jelly was for toast and we don't do it anymore. I did get some of the paleobread a few days ago and the kids are enjoying it. However, it is really pricey and quite honestly, it is not exactly to die for. You definitely need a glass of water or milk to wash it down with. It also needs a thick layer of butter/ cream cheese etc to make it go down. Not bad, but also, as I said, not something I plan on eating much of - very dry.

I had a slice and a half of meatloaf and two fried eggs for lunch. Also a handful of baby carrots. And another cup of tea And a few pieces of dark chocolate with currants and hazelnuts in (only 60% cocoa however)

I had a small piece of raw sheep's milk cheese and 3 almonds for dinner. Just not really hungry - feel like I am fighting off the cold the kids have. It is a very mild cold this time round - they are fighting it off really nicely with almost no tylenol etc. They each had one dose for the sore throat at the beginning and otherwise the homeopathics are doing the trick. We are definitely doing better since being primal - though we have never had much illness at all. Maybe one cold a year for the kids ...

I was supposed to get a deep tissue massage tomorrow morning but have called it off due to the colds - don't want to infect my friend! Just not a friendly thing to do I have been doing some pretty extreme mobility exercises that really do seem to be helping though. I could easily make myself pass out if I wanted to - but I don't I can feel that there is a little more range of motion and the pain is a little easier. No more clicking as I walk along, still limping along like an old fraud though.

Looking forward to bed tonight. I am pooped! The kids both woke me up during the night last night with snotty noses and coughs and such. Hopefully tonight I will get a full nights sleep. Have put a wedge cushion in DS's bed so hopefully he won't cough as much tonight.
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 13 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 227 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." Robert Frost.

Soooooo tired today! Ate tons of stuff that I didn't need due to a very late night I guess! DH and I talked until about 1:30 am!! Been dragging my wagon all day as a result. Ate a whole bar of chocolate (48% cocoa), about 6 paleo cookies, fruit leather, couple of cups of tea with cream and stevia, a peach, some nuts, greek yoghurt with honey and vanilla, and guess what? I feel even worse after all that and not at all satisfied! Cooking up a bunch of sausages and kale chips as I write this and then I am for bed!

Feet are both really painful nowadays - hard to find any time to get off them... I think I need to convert my computer station back to a seated one for the moment. Once I am over the pain and am healed up I can reconvert it. Feeling really stressed at the moment. My parents are really needing some care and they live in SC - just too far from here to help them out much at all. However we are stuck with no way to bring them out here either. It is crazy how much it costs to rent here! It is more than double what we used to pay for a mortgage out in the Carolina's and this is a 1969 double wide! Not like we are living high on the hog ... I just wish we could find someone to lend us money to buy our own place that we can accomodate us all. And somewhere that we can grow our own food, have chickens, maybe a cow, a few sheep and make a beautiful oasis of fruit trees and pretty plants.

Ah well, we'll just keep dreaming and hoping and trying and maybe one day it will all come together. Just wish I could have my parents here as I know I would probably be able to influence my mom to try the primal WOE and by default my dad would have to do it Mom is rather dictatorial if she thinks something will help them. No way to know for sure, but at least we would be able to help provide some decent food.

I have done slow moving for days and days now. Not much lifting heavy things at the moment - but I am sure that will come too. Kids are pretty much better today - makes me happy, I should get an undisturbed night - hopefully!

191 lbs this morning, it will be interesting to see what it is tomorrow after my day of high carbs!! Except for the too light chocolate everything was primal.

"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." Robert Frost.

Gorgeous cool day today! So lovely and the kids are outside and don't want to come in. Yesterday was really hot and dry and windy and we all felt the strain of it. Poor chicken were panting and I had to wet their enclosures down a few times. Ridiculous weather this year! HOpefully this will mean that the next few years will be milder since this was a record breaking hot and dry year!

Off to make another batch of applesauce and fruit leather. My veggie gardens are looking so lovely at the moment, I am having so much fun being out there working in them. I have about 5 spaghetti squash on my plant and more starting! Zucchini's every day and new seeds sprouting, the tomato vines are laden - some of the fruits are gargantuan! I just planted a number of seeds to hopefully have a later harvest of kale and carrots etc. I do so love being outside! The weather has not made it easy but now we are heading for my favourite time of the year - autumn /fall! Our temps at night are about 50 - 55F now which is wonderful for sleeping and the air con is not working so hard anymore - it gets the night off Had a breakfast of two sausages and and two fried eggs and a few pieces of chocolate! Hopefully I can ignore the chocolate the rest of the day! Not doing so well with the chocolate. I bought some of the 48% chocolate for the kids because DS doesn't like anything darker yet - now I have been 'enjoying' it instead of the 85% I have for myself! And it is true - it is hard to overdo it on the darker ones, the less the cocoa content the higher the sugar and the more I eat. Time to put the brakes on that behaviour!

Well, honestly, yesterday was pretty traumatic. I had to go for deep tissue massage on my calf muscles as they are so tight the chiropractor was unable to do the Graston therapy. I have had quite a bit of deep tissue massage over the last couple of years because of back and neck issues so I know how intense it can be. This was in another whole league! I would rather have a baby than have that again! And I am going back next week for at least one more probably two or three more treatments. I confess I cried and moaned and groaned and probably sounded like I was in labour. 10 out of 10 pain!!! I felt like I had been tortured event though it was totally voluntary and I could have walked out at any time. I looked a total mess when I walked out of the massage room, swollen eyes; red and swollen nose and puffy face! Embarrassing to say the least ... I have an impressive set of bruises from right below my knee down. Been slathering the arnica on and today I feel a little better. I was really emotional the rest of the day and felt as though I had been through some big traumatic event - and it was just a massage. But, I really feel that it is worth it if I can get my mobility back and end up pain free (hopefully!) The therapist was most apologetic and said that while my calves were a mess of adhesions and VERY tight that my muscles responded well and she feels that I will see good results. So, good news there, I think.

While my weight hasn't changed lately I do feel as though my body composition is changing gradually. DH is insistent that I am looking better even though I have been on a plateaux for ages. The massage therapist was also very encouraging about how I am looking - she hasn't seen me for ages. So I feel encouraged despite the fact that the scale numbers have not changed much at all.

I had breakfast sausage (6 links) and 2 fried eggs for brunch. Also half a bar of chocolate!! and a handful of nuts. Two cups of tea with cream and stevia so far today. Now I am full and content (and a little 'yuk' after the chocolate!) Off to water the plants and seedlings and harvest whatever may be ready DH and I spent most of the morning cutting up and cleaning three gallons of plums to make country wine - now that is a fun activity. We sat together in the kitchen and chatted and prepped everything. I think we are going to make this a traditional little together activity. It is fun to invest in the future like that, knowing that when we drink it, that we will probably be in our own place (the wine will only be ready to drink in about a year or longer) I love trying new things like this. It certainly helped to lower the level of plums in the box in the kitchen. My dehydrator is running 24/7 at the moment and I still can't quite keep up. A neighbour has offered me as many apples as I want from her 3 trees in her back yard! I can see I am going to be busy for a while. Lovely to have homemade treats for the kids and the landlords kids are in love with the fruit leather too. Yesterday the 5 year old yelled to her dad, "they have the best kind of candy here daddy!" Cute! The lock on the backyard has worked very nicely for keeping our space ours until we want to share it! The kids spent all day together yesterday and had a lot of fun. THe 3 year old was at daycare which was nice as she is a complete pistol and needs a sharp eye kept on her at all times. So much easier for the kids to have fun when she is not in the mix.

Wonderful, cool night air last night made sleeping blissful It is getting down into the 40's most nights now and it is delightful to feel that crisp air drifting in through the window as I drop off to sleep!

Been doing some foam roller work on my legs and feel as though I have done a strenuous workout ... kind of wild how just rolling back and forth on a piece of foam can do that! But I am amazed at how very tight my muscles are - not sure why and would love to know what the cause is. However, I do feel as though what I am doing is helping. My bruises are fading relatively quickly thanks to arnica. I am not doing ice after reading some interesting research and it certainly has made no difference for the worse - I was a little tentative about this as there is so much tradition that says ice is what is best. But, with the arnica and mobility exercises I have recovered amazingly fast from my torture session on Friday. I am sure that my primal diet is really helping too.

I seem to be having a rather more extreme reaction to pain than I am used to. Either that or these darn muscles are excruciatingly painful. I find I can do the roller for a short while on a sore spot and then I feel as though I might throw up or pass out. And then when I was all done I felt all shaky and nauseated for a while ... maybe I am just releasing a bunch of toxins ... I don't know. It is a little unnerving being so wimpy all of a sudden. I am used to being the tough chick that can take whatever comes ...

Lunch (late) was some fruit leather, couple pieces of 85% chocolate, 2 1/2 eggs, apple (tiny), glass of milk, glass of kombucha, tea with cream and stevia, a handful of nuts.
    Snack: More chocolate.
    Dinner: Hamburgers on lettuce with various veggies, avo.

Next step with the wine process today as we added the wine yeast - this is fun It is starting to get a lovely smell. I was surprised to see the wine turning a beautiful pinkish red colour. The skins of the plums are purple and the flesh is yellow... I was not expecting this colour. Fun learning process. Was delighted too to find that my big stainless steel stock pot is just the right size for the initial fermentation process! Most folk use plastic buckets but I just couldn't quite get my head around using a plastic container with an acidic solution which will leach the BPA etc out even faster than normal!

The deer has been hopping into one of my gardens most evenings for a bite or two. It has not done much damage with its eating but its hooves are messing things up The bunny is grazing in my other garden on and off. I guess I need to do some more work on my fences!

While I have not lost weight for ages I am feeling better and better. I think that maybe my body is stabilising other processes and getting healthier. I know I am not as focused and intentional as I should be, but I feel encouraged that in spite of that, I am not gaining weight or falling off the wagon. I feel that once some of the stress eases off I may be able to get on the fat loss more aggressively again. I am standing, not making any real strides but not falling either.

Well, we started school again today. Nice to finally get going again, now i just need to sort out all the details and ... and...
    DH built me a nice fence around the raised vegetable gardens that will keep (hopefully!) the bunnies and deer out. I picked an 18 oz tomato today because it is starting to split - still totally green! So it can ripen on the counter I guess. Sprayed all of my flowers and veggies with a liquid kelp mixture that will hopefully prolong their fruitfulness

Our wine is going crazy at the moment! We added the wine yeast yesterday afternoon and today it is bubbling over every time I turn around! I have to put a clean towel on every time I stir it (at least 5 times today) so I can see my work is going to be cut out for me keeping up, and we haven't even added the sugar yet - that is when the fermentation is supposed to really get going and bubble over! Yikes. We have the wine in a pot in a plastic tub to catch all the froth as it comes over the edge (didn't think the landlord would appreciate it all over their carpets!)

Not sure exactly what I ate today - too much going on. It was primal, but probably was too much, is my guess if I take note of how my stomach is feeling What with school and starting a new math curriculum and trying to preserve the remaining plums and somehow get off my feet for more than a minute at a time I am rather frazzled!

Candy in Wonderland is offline Senior Member
    Hi Coll, finally caught up with your journal . I hope the pain in your ankle/muscles will get better soon! I know what it's like living with tight muscles and pain day in day out (for years and years), I'm still grateful everyday that I can live with almost no pain anymore!
    My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
    My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
    Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
    Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Mercy! Just reading about your massage made me wince.
    Like the pictures of you and yours.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    I feel so bad for you - I suffered horribly with plantar fascitis for years and when I read your post I got bad flashbacks. I hope you get resolution soon.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Thanks folks School has gone relatively well this week and the kids love their new math curriculum. They want to do math first which is a lovely change.

I have changed my computer station to a seated one again for the moment so that I can take the weight off my feet from time to time. It does help a bit not being on my feet all day. I have not been doing well with my eating lately. Totally undisciplined, too much chocolate (48%) and not enough veggies. I find that I do need a decent amount of veggies or I start craving things too. My feet have been so sore that by the time dinner time rolls around I can't bear the thought of standing in the kitchen preparing and cooking veg. I just need to plan better I know, have just felt overwhelmed with trying to get school routine up and running as well as my usual chores and then we are also making wine (Grok style) which takes a bit of babying. And now the fruit flies have moved in and I am waging war on their annoying little persons! Today the wine goes into the carboy with the airlock on so that should diminish the fruit fly episode as well as my homemade traps. I tried one that didn't work so have to try the next design. I must say that the wine smells lovely! I know it is at least a year or more before it will be worth drinking but it is such a fun little experiment. I think I might try making 1 gallon at a time until I have some recipes worked out and then if it doesn't work I am not going to want to cry because of all the work going down the drain. It took us quite a while to cut up and clean 3 gallons of plums! Fortunately they were free so if it doesn't work out it is only our time that was wasted. However, when I stirred it this morning I tasted it and it definitely tasted like the beginnings of wine. Nothing weird going on in there yet - whew.

I am really needing to get back on track with my eating. I have been just eating on the run and grabbing bits and pieces as I go which is a recipe for eating too much and the wrong stuff. I have got to kick the chocolate habit again - still not as bad as my rolo habit in the 'old' days but it is not a sensible indulgence anymore! On the plus side - I haven't gained weight (Aunt Flo dropped in so a little water retention) even though my eating hasn't been optimal. But, I also don't feel as good as I was either. And while I am very happy that I haven't gained weight, I REALLY want to lose more fat and that is not happening! I still have about 56.5 pounds to go and that is too much for me to get comfortable with! I just have to get my head straight again and get organised and work on getting better sleep.

I 'managed' to avoid having a follow up massage this week because I just couldn't quite face it with everything else I have on my plate right now. So, Monday is the next one and with a different massage therapist. I am hoping, quite emphatically, that she will be a little kinder even if it is not exactly pleasant... My muscles are back to very tight - if I like this ladies massage I will go ahead and try to get her booked sooner than the last. Not the cheapest thing to do very often, but if it helps I will glad to do it. It just wears on me being in pain every moment I am on my feet and every step I take. I know that we all have issues to deal with - I just want to move on. Figure out what to do, what exercises, stretches, foods etc to do or not and then move onto the next issue. I so want to be healthy and able to move and enjoy being physically active again.

So, today, I am going to eat lots of veggies, no chocolate and try to get to bed at a good time. Decided to take a break from school today though I had originally planned on doing it today too. I think we could all use a break after a good weeks work.