Page 28 of 150 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal journal : Coll page 28

Coll is online now Senior Member
    Okay, so during DS chiropractor appointment today I asked about my achilles tendon. They recommend something called Graston therapy. Apparently one of the docs in the office is really good with it. I have to admit that I am feeling somewhat afraid of the pain as my heel is so dang sore anyway. But I can hardly get around and my whole body is out of whack with the way I am hobbling around at the moment. So I am going to bite the bullet and do it. I am very hopeful that it will restore some function and ease the pain. At the moment I am afraid that the tendon will just snap right off if I am not careful. Unfortunately these darn treatments are expensive, and even if we had medical insurance they don't cover most chiropractor stuff. Pretty silly really as they are the ones who have helped us more than all the others at this point.

Going to go and put an icepack on, great excuse to get off my feet and rest for a minute.
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 224.8 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Good for you being brave enough to try something. Too often we let things go because we don't want to disturb the status quo, even if the status is pain.

Well, I had my first treatment this morning. Pretty intense! But, it does feel a little looser after I got done. Imagine a metal instrument being rubbed up and down the achilles tendon over and over again ... phew, certainly can't think about anything else while that is going on. Trying to remember to breathe is top of the list, oh, and try to be a big girl and not cry... I made it
    Slapped a good dollop of arnica on when I got to the car and then an ice bath for my foot when I got home.

It is not good having 'cookies' in the house! We are all enjoying them too much! But the kids are loving having a treat that is healthy too. I am going to make another batch to take with us on the trip to the reunion as well as the carrot cakes. Then once the trip is over I am going to have to be careful again. We are going to splurge a bit this weekend, but the food we are taking is primal and I am not worried ... got to celebrate once in a while.

DD was telling me her favourite foods that she wants on her birthday , primal chili, kale chips, brusselsprouts, carrot cake (primal) - she was positively drooling as she was naming the various foods So cute...

Today I have had 1 1/2 pieces of bacon, two 'cookies', two cups of tea with cream and stevia, a peach (what I wouldn't give for a big juicy ribeye right now) Got to go and pack and plan.

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Went back today for another Graston therapy - doc said my calf muscles are way too tight for any benefit yet. Going to get some deep tissue massage first and then try again. Been doing some very interesting 'research' on mobility exercises etc. Feel hopeful about more than just my achilles tendon ...

Had our family reunion Sun, Mon, Tuesday and we took all primal foods with us. THe kids did great - each getting $20 for making great choices and sticking with healthy food. We (DH and I) did splurge on a drink that I know was really high carb, but that was the only thing the whole time that I had that was not primal. Now I am really wanting to get down to business again and try to figure out what my body is needing as far as food so that I can continue to lose the excess fat! I have been sitting at about 193 - 191 for over a month now and I am ready to move on!!

Hottest July on record for Colorado! Wouldn't you know - we moved back just in time to take it all in! I do dislike the heat and was so looking forward to a cooler climate. Instead this crazy heat and drought. And in South Africa, in areas where it hardly ever snows and certainly never sticks, it is doing just that!

Made egg muffins for dinner today, added some leftover meatloaf, fresh parsley and lemon thyme out of the garden, a little milk, a little grated raw cheese, and some seasonings. The kids LOVE it (including DS!!!) So I have another recipe for my little repertoire. And it is so easy, always a good thing for busy moms! Just chopped up a few veggies for finger food to go with them and some kombucha or kefir depending on taste. DS is fighting off a cold (way better than he has ever coped with a cold before) and he is downing the kombucha today. I figure it can only help him fight the germs. I really need to get my home brewed kombucha going , the store bought stuff is really expensive

Starting tomorrow I am going to track my macros again and try to get on top of this plateau that I have settled into. A friend of mine who is extremely overweight has started eating Paleo, unbeknownst to me She has lost 54 lbs!! And her IBS is a thing of the past! I am so happy for her - she had quite a scare earlier in the year with pneumonia and just couldn't shake it off, ER etc and hospitalised. She is feeling so much better and I am so excited to have a buddy who is in the same boat!!!!!!! Yee haaa! She wants to connect more and support each other through our journey. What a lovely surprise!

I had so much fun playing in the pool at the reunion. I decided to opt for the old maternity suit, as the smaller one is just not comfortable yet. It is the first time in years that I was not wishing the earth could swallow me, rather than be seen in my swim suit. I know I have a ways to go, but it was such a liberating feeling to be so much less self conscious. It helps that DH and I are among the slimmest in the family! I had a lot of comments about how good I am looking when we first all got there.
    Here are a few pictures of the place and us, and one of me.
    DSCN4170.jpg

Attachment 8789

Attachment 8790

Oops, I missed the one of me, figure that it will do as an update of where I am at.

Attachment 8791

Attachment 8792

Attachment 8793

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Nice pics! You look great, and your family too. What a beautiful place you live in. Very different from my home. What a marvelous varied world we live in -
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Thanks Siobhan It is beautiful esp after a bit of rain lately so the flowers and wild plants are looking healthy and happy. Today is the day where I get focused again and get the program on the road. No breakfast, just tea and cream and stevia (some days the tea tastes like ambrosia - today was one of them!) Not hungry yet, been busy in the garden all morning. Planting and weeding and harvesting etc - bliss for me. And it is not too hot yet so it was quite pleasant. I am going to try making zucchini chips in a little bit as my zucchini is producing lots for me Any good zucchini recipes out there? Siobhan you mentioned pizza crust from zucchini? How does that work? My spaghetti squash plant is looking wonderful and there are a number of good sized squash already forming. Picked my first green beans - and I think our rabbit has eaten half of one of the bean plants! Grrr, may just have to fence the garden huh? There is something so therapeutic about dead heading the flowers, watering and working in the garden. I just love it!

DS is fighting off a cold - nowhere near as sick as he usually gets! Even he has noticed and commented on it. I also found some homeopathic meds that really seem to help him with the symptoms which is great. He cannot tolerate the strongly flavored medications - I tried giving him mucinex last night and it was touch and go as to whether he would throw up, and he only managed to get 1/2 tsp down! I tasted it and it is very potent and the flavor sits in your mouth for a while. My boy is so sensitive to little nuances of flavour that it is just major overload on his senses to try and drink that. Homeopathic stuff is very mild tasting and he can chug it quickly. Plus no side effects from them!

Well, my chores won't get done if I am standing at the computer... see ya all later

Candy in Wonderland is offline Senior Member
    Wow Coll, you look very good!
    My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
    My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
    Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
    Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

Well, thanks Candy! But, while I am very happy with the changes I am really wanting to get more of this padding off, after all there is a 'butterfly' waiting to emerge from the fat 'chrysalis'! I really want to shed the next 30 plus pounds now ... and then the last 20+ after that! Most people don't know me as a slim healthy me, though my family may remember the slim part vaguely!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well, we took the whole family for a drive this afternoon and picked 88.5 lbs of prune plums that someone was getting rid of for free! They are older and don't have time to do the preserving and picking like they used to! I am thrilled to bits. DS and DD love prunes for snacks and this way I am going to have prunes for a long time!!! And for just a little bit of time and a tiny bit of power for the dehydrator!! Woopee!

I can see I am going to be dreaming about prunes for days though - it is going to take me a while to get these all dried. Good thing I don't have the tiny dehydrator - mine has 10 shelves! Going to get the kids to help me with making these that is fun for all. I had too many roasted and salted cashews this afternoon as we drove to the plum place and back. Didn't have breakfast and then just grabbed an apple, a peach, a chunk of cheese and a cup of tea with cream. I am pretty hungry this evening - sausages on the grill, chunks of veg to accompany those I think. Had plenty of carbs today. No idea how much ... oh, I also had three fresh prunes. Guess I'll fill up with mushrooms and carrots and broccoli etc.