Page 26 of 141 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal journal : Coll page 26

Coll is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Well, it has been very busy. I had a couple of days where I really attacked the boxes and the house and had to clean up 'big time' as we had family over for one of the meetings that I so dread. And then I had a surprise call from friends who are on furlough in the States and they came over for dinner and spent the night. Talk about lots of movement!! It is only when you are going to have guests staying in your house that you truly 'see' the state of your place!! So major cleaning and tidying happened all day on Thursday! Then had to put together a nice meal, roast stuffed pork loin, artichokes dipped in garlic butter, BAS with homemade dressing, and a bowl of berries and cream for dessert. It was yummy, and I was beyond pooped at the end of it all. My heel was the main thing that was bothering me - VERY painful. I had to get our bedroom guest ready (a mission not for the fainthearted!) and we slept on the floor in our kids rooms on inflatable mattress pads. Not bad, but I still prefer my bed The kid's beds are not really adult friendly. The kids were thrilled to have a sleepover with mom and dad.

I found one of the green & black's chocolates that I was hoping DS might like. 55% cocoa with orange and spices, and I have to say it is delectable! Maya Gold is its name and I munched a fair amount of that yesterday, such a delightful flavour - very subtle. DS tolerated it, he liked the flavourings but the 55% gets through and he is extremely sensitive to certain flavours. I swear he could be a wine maker or perfume maker with the incredible sensitivity he has to flavours and smells. I am hoping that eventually he will be able to go up in the percentages of cocoa content.

I tried to find the paleo bread at our local healthfood shop (online it stated that they had it in stock) only to find they are planning to add it but it is still going through their approval process or something. Really need to get some for our family reunion so the kids can eat 'bread' while everyone else is making sandwiches etc with the poison stuff Family have agreed to me making the carrot cake for dessert the one night and the kids are delighted (as is DH) - they all love it. Going to try making some primal gingerbread cookies this weekend and see if they go down well too. I did make the blueberry butter balls and the consensus is a thumbs up. I will tweak it very slightly next time - add more vanilla, a tiny bit of honey, and a few more blueberries - I wonder if I should try dehydrating some and then powder them to add a touch more flavour. DS loved them though ... he loves butter anyway so this is right up his alley. Maybe I'll take some of these with us to the reunion too. We'll see... I asked the kids what treats they would like to take along and they wanted me to figure out some kind of cookie replacement. We are not winning any points in the popularity contest (we are near bottom on that anyway with the family) as we are sticking to our diet change for the reunion. There is just NO WAY at all we would be able to eat even half of what is being offered. Most of the meals are baked goods and loads of sweets, some meals are only grains and fruit. The thought of our whole family with upset stomachs and miserable for the whole time, just didn't really sound like a good plan to me

I am dreading the reunion to be honest. We live a very simple life and the family is very into all the 'sophisticated' stuff and culture. Our kids are still children and their cousins are all mini adults already and can't bring themselves to condescend to play with my childish kids It is all this big competition to see who has the most awards and activities and achievements and my kids just can't hold a candle to them. We think it is important for kids to play and be outside and explore their world, don't get me wrong, our kids are very smart, but it is not visible to those who look with eyes of judgement. 'Fortunately' our kids can't swim yet, so one of us will be with them all the time and hopefully we can help to shield them from the worst of the comparisons and rejections. DH is the youngest of 8 kids and is one of the three unpopular ones ... makes for interesting dynamics, sigh. (and yet he is the best of the lot - lol - they just can't see it!)

I am going to do some mowing today (another hot one - 100 F yesterday) and then I am sure that the kids and I will spend some time at their little pool. I have been lying in the sun in my bikini - very daring! Plenty fat hanging out all over - but the kids are so encouraging. They think that Mommy is looking awesome - though too white, ha ha ha. So they play and I lie in the sun and take a dip every now and again. Another fun thing is that the kids are learning to swim - just being around the water lots and having it about 18" deep (or maybe a little more) is just enough for them to get their confidence and experiment and yet still feel safe. I am thrilled for them and hopefully we can make the most of the pool while at the reunion for them to really 'get' it!

DH is headed off to a weekend long workshop next weekend learning how to build with straw bales. DH used to build custom homes for many years but we have been more and more interested in exploring the natural materials as they are so much less toxic etc. So this is super cool for him to be able to learn from someone who has done this for a while. It would be really awesome to be able to build our own strawbale house...

I need to make some insect repellant for us and the dog - the mosquitoes are out in squadrons now and ready to lift us off into space.

Have a good day!
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 13 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 227 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." Robert Frost.

I just spent about 20 minutes posting a long answer and it disappeared into nothing!! AAAHHHH! NO more time, will try again later!

"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." Robert Frost.

Oh, now it reappears - whew! Off to mow a meadow

Got really hot yesterday - just didn't feel good temperature wise for the rest of the day and then in the evening felt somewhat chilled. Spent the whole morning outside mowing the backyard (two tank yard - ie. fill the mower up twice to get it all) and then watering plants and doing outside chores. Felt horrid after a while - only got up to 97F, but for some reason I did not tolerate it yesterday. (If you don't know just blame it on hormones!) Cleaned out the kiddie pool and refilled, lay in the sun for a while but just too hot to enjoy - when you start feeling nauseated it is time to seek shade! Was very nice having breathtakingly cold water to dip in!

Ate eggs and kippers for lunch, baby carrots. Dinner was sausages and veggies and about half a cup of canned peaches and cream. I know it is not the best, but it is a favourite and I get the one in fruit juice. Not too bad on carbs if you have been careful the rest of the day. Had a few pieces of dark chocolate ... yum. The usual tea with cream and stevia in the morning.

Weight is staying at 191.5 for a couple of days - hopefully it will start edging down again soon. I can fit into the 'small' swimsuit (x-large actually) but it is not comfortable yet. Hold thumbs for me that I will be able to wear that for the family reunion. My maternity swimsuit is now too large to look ok anymore. DD looked at me yesterday and said that I am getting 'skinny' like our landlord! Lol! He really is skinny and I am far from skinny. But it is fun to hear the kids cheering me on and saying how good I am looking They are so sweet ...

Well, off to water my plants and then hopefully paint some of the coop that DH is building. Certainly hot enough to dry in a few minutes at the moment.

Too hot at the moment! I spent the afternoon painting the inside of a two story portable chicken coop. Squeezing in through the little window openings and with my head at a weird angle and my arms up over my head - whew! Called it quitting time when I ran out of paint in the pan (small one) I am certainly working on getting the toxins out of my body by sweating at the moment! It just pours down my back and chest - I am amazed at how unstinky I am today, yesterday I reeked!? Guess it just depends on what is going on at the time of sweating...

Had tea with cream and stevia for breakfast. Delicious fresh macadamia nuts for a snack. Sausage and fried eggs for lunch, apple and another cup of tea. A few pieces of chocolate (I know I am having too much ... but I still keep having it. The good thing is it is just a little and I am not gorging myself on it. However I do need to get on top of this emotional eating thing...) Dinner was meatloaf, BAS and a few olives, bowl of berries and cream. I feel pretty full this evening, needless to say!

My heel is really painful - been about a year now that I have almost constant pain in the back of my heel. I wish I could figure out how to get rid of the pain. I can't walk normally because it feels as though the achilles tendon is just going to snap or pull off the bone at the point where it attaches .... so I have to shorten my stride to keep that side from stretching too much. I put arnica on numerous times a day usually, I ice it from time to time - probably should do more of that though. Nothing else touches it. Any ideas anyone? WOndering if I should try taking Wobenzyme to reduce the inflammation. I think I am going to give that a shot. Just wonder why it got all het up in the first place. Just because I was eating loads of sugar and grains? I do hope that at some point I'll reach the tipping point and will start to see the chronic issues start to improve and resolve.

On a bright note, my gardens are doing great. My tomatoes are like Jack's beanstalk! They are over 6 feet tall and loaded in flowers and tiny fruits! I have two cabbages ready to be picked and a number of kale plants that are just begging to be eaten. It is so hot (have I said that yet today) that my cauliflower has bolted but everything else is looking lovely I may just have to share a pic of the rock garden that took so much effort to create. Dh fixed my camera and now I can take pics again! I spent a while this afternoon taking pics of the chickens - not the easiest subject as they are in constant motion. Everytime I take a shot they jerk their heads forward to peck at something, result blurry pics by the dozen. Lol. Doesn't stop me from trying though, when the pic works out it is worth the effort.

Candy in Wonderland is offline Senior Member
    The pain in your heel, could it be heel spurs, Coll (http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/gene...heelspur.htm)?

I'd love to see pictures of your garden!
    My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
    My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
    Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
    Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    What temperatures ARE you having? We have rain, overcast, and sun -- but not too much of the last:-) I'm amazed at people being able to live in all that heat. Ouch! Our issues in the northwest where I am are usually molds and so much rain the tomatoes can't ripen. Not too much rain this summer so the gardens seem to be doing well.

That's a bummer about your heel. I wonder if it will go away as you keep losing weight. Could it be your shoes? Chronic pain is soooo annoying -- not to mention, painful.

I bet we'd all love to see pictures of your kids and your rock garden.

Speaking of feet -- I once had an acquaintance who wore really tall heals ALL the time, and she got so she couldn't walk around barefoot without being in pain! I'm sure that's not your issue, but I thought it was an interesting tidbit.

Well, the last few days have been 97 - 102F and today is supposed to be another like that! Every day we get these beautiful big storm clouds and they build up for hours, then they just disappear. Apparently the humidity is too low Pam, I really like the sound of your temperatures, I mean, I know that tomatoes don't like it, but honestly I could live without the tomatoes and just have decent temperatures! Here is a picture of the rock garden - nothing fancy but it gives me a lot of pleasure, I should probably put in a picture of the rest of the landscape so you get the contrast...

DSCN3745.jpg

DSCN3683.jpg
    This is just to the left of the garden where I don't water (I could spend hundreds of dollars a month on water and it is not my place - native grasses are just dormant because it is so dry!) Do you see the smoke cloud over the hill, that is when the fire just started.

DSCN3707.jpg And this is one of the fire early on before the whole sky was dark brownish gray and we could hardly breathe, see the sun just barely showing...

So there is my picture fix of the day! Heading out to do more painting while the coop is in the shade.

I think there is something wrong with my achilles tendon, or the bone where it attaches as the pain is not under my heel. It is the back of my heel. I know it probably started with me being so overweight (225 is no party for one's body!) and I was super stressed and eating loads of chocolate and grains at the time. I have iced it this morning and it feels a little better right now. I do find that wearing closed shoes really aggravates it. I am relatively ok if I go barefoot or wear flip flops, but there are cactus plants all around parts of the property and the spines go straight through! So for mowing and working around the spikey areas I wear either running shoes or my bogs (heavy boots) and the running shoes just about send me through the roof! I am always in lots of pain after and during the wearing of those. I think I need to make myself some huaraches that are cactus resistant ... need to look at material for the sole that will work for the cactus. Maybe an old tire - that is what the original huaraches are made of!

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    What a great garden. And such an ominous sky, with those dark clouds obscuring the sun, and yet rising up to the beautiful blue.