Page 2 of 126 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal journal : Coll page 2

Coll is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    We don't have room for expanding our flock so this egg is part of our breakfast fritatta. Also it is better to wait until the pullet has been laying for a while before you try to hatch her eggs... We do have a rooster - he has not quite figured out what his job is yet We have an old hen that crows - LOL and she and the new rooster are in a crowing competition this morning, VERY funny. The rooster is still afraid of the older hens and runs away when they head toward him... he is already a lot bigger than them but still thinks he is a little boy

My arm feels WAY better this morning! I am just putting coconut oil mixed with essential oils on my arm now and it is really soothing. Maybe I will skip the sprints for a couple more days until the arm is a bit less fragile. It is such a relief to be done with putting the treatment on I feel SO good this morning! Full of energy and ready to attack the day. My daughter's room is needing to be rearranged and organised now that we are settling in at last (moved just before Christmas and her room is the last to be sorted properly) I just have not had the energy before to deal with the chaos so am looking forward to taming the final frontier

Sounds like fun reading material while in Spain I hope you have a lovely time - have you been before? Geniet 'n goeie dag? I know that is Afrikaans but thought that maybe something in there will be recognizable

Okay, today was pretty good to start out with... weighed myself and to my delight I have lost another pound Just slowly shrinking...

Breakfast: fritatta with onion, garlic, spinach, and org. cheddar cheese cooked in bacon fat. Black tea with cream and stevia
    Lunch: Org. hotdog, bell pepper (1/2) 2/3 large carrot, 1/8 apple, thick slice cheese, celery stick with almond butter. Black tea with cream and stevia
    Snack: small handful of fruit and nut mix - but it tasted sugary so decided to set that aside (I don't think there is a single thing in Walmart that doesn't have sugar in!) A handful of salted sunflower seeds.
    Dinner: Bacon - 5 slices (!), 2 eggs, bowl of peaches and cream (canned peaches in 100% juice)

I know the canned peaches are not really cool, but I was running late with dinner and had two hungry, tired kids after shopping (I hate shopping!!!!) so just scrounged the quickest/ best thing I could.

My arm is feeling much better this evening Hopefully it will heal quickly and become a distant memory and hopefully it worked and my skin is clear of some of those horrid lesions that everyone stares at....

I had the thrill today of testing my body fat % and found that I have at least 50% body fat! No real surprise but still somewhat horrid to see it laid out so graphically. Turns out the little machine only reads up to 50% so it could conceivably be higher Where can one get it tested more accurately? Well, do I really want to do that? I could just test once a month until it drops below 50%. I am not going to change anything I am doing ... I know I am obese and at risk for a gazillion things. That is why I am doing this lifestyle change. I can remember many years ago when I was working out regularly at the gym and my trainer had hit on a really good combination for me, I dropped my BF% right down to about 13% for a little while. And here I am years later on the other end of the spectrum - sigh.

It is never nice to hear the truth and yet it is liberating too. No pretending things are not really bad. But I have a clear starting point and hopefully one day I'll be posting a pic that tells a totally different story. I have felt so trapped in this bloated body, a lean athlete in a bubble suit with weights!! I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror and groan. My amazing husband has never once criticised my body even though there is plenty to pick on! He has been an amazing source of unconditional love and acceptance - I am so blessed

Exercise wise... shopping for a few hours pushing a 6 year old & a 9 year old in a big ungainly cart around Walmart for a few hours this afternoon ... cleaning house and so on.

Grrrr! I just lost my whole 'reply' for this evening! So here goes again..l.

Breakfast: 2 eggs fried in bacon fat, tin of kippers, mushroom, 2 strawberries, sprouts. Black tea with milk and stevia.
    Lunch: Greek yoghurt with a few almonds and cashews, chia and sesame seeds.
    Dinner: Breakfast sausage with fried eggs again, sauerkraut combo, mushroom, cauliflower, chunk of butter. Feel like I needed more - should have made a big salad with lots of salad dressing... maybe tomorrow.

I had a really good day despite a disturbed nights sleep (son had nightmares) I felt energetic and motivated and got a lot done - more than I have done in a really long time. I did my first attempt at the sprints and felt really good about the whole things. I had been really concerned about my knee (and the rest of my body!) because I am in such bad shape. I can't run properly as I am too heavy and all kinds of things hurt. So I got on the rebounder and 'ran' on there. Awesome! NO pain anywhere and I am confident that I will be able to increase the intensity over the next couple of weeks without any problems.

I've got a jar of garlic (a pain to prep) fermenting on the counter and also the cauliflower that I have been imagining will taste so good Now just to wait for the process to move along. Our house is really cool so fermenting takes quite a bit longer at the moment. Patience...

My arm seems to be healing up at a good pace and hopefully the scabs will be off in the next few days. Not really painful anymore, just the typical itch of healing. Had a brain wave last night before getting into the shower. The water really gets everything very angry and burning, so I smeared a liberal layer of coconut oil over the offended and offending area and yay, happy shower and straight to sleep afterwards! Loving it!

Day 6:

Breakfast:2 eggs fried in bacon fat, celery with almond butter, sprouts. Black tea with cream and stevia
    Lunch: 2 hotdogs, mushrooms with sprouts and almond butter, radishes, 1/4 apple, slice cheese, 3 grapes.
    Snack: roasted and salted sunflower seeds, almonds - raw
    Dinner: Pork chops and brussel sprouts, cauliflower.

I have been craving meat today - would give a lot for a nice juicy steak. DH is also wanting more meat... we don't have it at the moment. The two hotdogs just barely got me through, felt dissatisfied after lunch and tired this afternoon.
    Had a slower day as far as exercise today... used up all my oomph yesterday I guess.

Weighed this morning and have lost another 0.5 lbs - 214.5 lbs. I can't tell you how nice it is to see downward movement on the scale! It is really exciting and encouraging. I know that it is going to slow down eventually, but boy am I enjoying the journey! I find myself imagining wearing clothes from before I got married, my wedding dress being too big for me, being able to wear a swimsuit and not want to hide. I am looking forward to being a model of health and fitness to my kids too, I know they watch everything I do and I want them to be proud of how their mommy looks and be able to have lots of fun playing physical games and going for hikes and bike rides. At the moment I just can't do a lot of that without hurting myself. Tomorrow is day off for our family so we are going to scout out some of the state park type areas and hopefully take a short hike and have a little picnic. Really looking forward to being outside all day, the weather is supposed to be nice - we'll see if the weather man was right or not.

I find myself moving easier than I have for a while. My knee is starting to feel a little better. My arm looks nasty but it is healing and find I am able to wear a sweat shirt for a while now without going through the roof.
    Last edited by Coll; 03-05-2012 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Realised that I mistyped and had 'lost' 100.5 pounds in one day!! Sorry!

Day 7

Breakfast: 2 fried eggs, bacon -4 slices, 1/2 avocado
    Snack: Pistachios, sunflower seeds
    Lunch: Boiled egg, 1 1/2 sausages, about 1/2 apple
    Snack: Pistachios
    Dinner: Hungarian goulash (wasn't all that hungry after all the nuts so just had a medium sized bowl)

Went for a nice walk up in the mountains - foothills I suppose. About 6-7000 feet I am guessing. Certainly got us all puffing though the kids still ran quite a bit of the way. We all walked quite a good stretch barefoot. Only on the dirt road as there is a LOT of the little sneaky cacti that would leave a definite impression of the unfavourable kind Even DH took his shoes off for a pretty decent stretch - said the peer pressure got to him LOL. The kids are so impressed with the whole barefoot thing. I just let them decide when they have had enough and we put the shoes back on. I spent most of my childhood barefoot (South Africa is much more friendly to barefeet and no-one is shocked to see barefeet around - of course the 'uncivilised' tribal people don't generally wear shoes at all.) and we only wore shoes for school and church and to go into stores. The first thing we did was kick off the shoes as soon as we could. We did most of our sports barefoot - I used to do cross country running and almost all of us ran barefoot. Of course as I started working and moving among the 'sophisticated' image conscious people I found that my barefeet were frowned on. Initially I resisted where I could but eventually I caved to the pressure and then when I went nursing there was no way I could go barefoot. However I have always kicked my shoes off at the first opportunity. As a result my feet look pretty good and I have a really high arch. DH grew up in the USA and never had his shoes off as a child. He was commenting today how the shape his foot makes in the dust looks like a shoe shape, whereas mine looks like a foot. His poor feet have been smashed into the shape of the shoes he has worn. We are all going to do some of the foot strengthening exercises to help with transitioning to going barefoot, or as close barefoot as we can. I really want to make us all some moccasins - just have no idea where to get reasonable leather. Custom made mocassins are REALLY expensive - though I have to say they are enough to make me drool!

Today, I barely even noticed my arm, even my DD mentioned that it is looking much better. She has been so embarrassed and creeped out by the nasty looks and desperately wanted me to cover up so people wouldn't look or ask questions. Of course at the time I could not stand anything touching it, even the breeze going by was painful. Now that it looks better I can cover it without any pain - isn't that just SODS law!

Day 8

Breakfast: 2 eggs fried in bacon fat, raw cauliflower, celery with almond butter, sprouts, radishes. Black tea with cream and stevia. (x2)
    Lunch: Hungarian goulash leftovers Yum!
    Snack: handful of almonds
    Snack: chunk of cheese
    Dinner: Grilled salmon and artichoke dipped in garlic butter

I did not end up doing any 'official' exercise today as I moved all day building a chicken run including many squats and lifting and pulling etc. And then I had to run some errands so got all kinds of functional exercise today. I am too pooped to do more than a few stretches this evening. I am realising that I can't really predict what exercise I am going to do tomorrow - not when I am homeschooling and all kinds of other things too. Just do the best I can and anyway, it is working! I lost another 0.5 lbs since the 3rd March. My pants are starting to feel loose enough that I probably need to see about tracking down one of my belts (haven't worn one for a long time as couldn't find one to fit nicely and anyway my clothes certainly were not going to fall off!)

Was such a nice day (aside from the wind anyway) and was so lovely to be outside in shirt sleeves for a change.

Hopefully I can do some LHT tomorrow - guess we'll see. Probably need to try and get them in real early before my day gets on a roll because then I fill it up with a million other projects and chores. Now that the season is changing I am just loving being outside and planning and thinking about what I want to plant and where... one of my favourite times of the year. I am hopeful that I am going to have plenty energy to accomplish all kinds of projects in the next months as I am feeling so much better.

Day 9:

Breakfast: Left over Hungarian goulash. BLack tea with cream and stevia.
    Lunch: Almonds, 1/2 apple, 2 macaroons (egg white, coconut, honey, vanilla, salt) chunk of cheese, small piece of left over pork chop, lemonade (lemon, stevia and water)
    Snack: +/- 2 macaroons in crumb form
    Dinner: DH made an awesome omelette with left over ground beef that I had frozen.

Exercise:- nothing 'official' but yet again was on the go all day. Finished the chicken run, unpacked and sorted our room - translates into LOTS of lifting and bending and walking all day long. Feel good, but tired. I know I need to get with the program as far as the exercise goes, but I figure I am at least moving and active.

I am having trouble with extremely dry, chapped skin at the moment! I am assuming this is part of my body transitioning because I never normally have this... most uncomfortable as any area that gets rubbed is getting really painful. TOmorrow is supposed to snow so will take it a bit easier and hopefully the decrease in walking will allow my skin to recover.

As you can see from my food choices today I had a high carb day... wanted to make macaroons and see if the kids liked them (also part of math for homeschool) and yes they did love them. I know they can't have a lot because of the honey. But it is so nice to have a healthy treat for them. I am experimenting with recipes to try and find some healthier versions of things they particularly enjoy. I did enjoy the macaroons - but I do struggle with feeling guilty as if I ate something illegal! Silly I know.... just habit I think. Surprisingly I have not been craving chocolate at all, even at the store I am able to look at it and walk by without feeling that terrible compulsion. Of course I am careful to not look too long or think about it too much. Easter is a hard time for me usually, as some of my favourite candies appear at this time. I usually gorge myself on Easter goodies and it has often been a time where I fell off the wagon while trying to eat healthily.

I am trying to think of ways to make Easter still special for the kids and yet cut WAAAAAYYYY down on the candy. I was thinking of maybe using a little of the best quality chocolate I can find for a few eggs, and then maybe some little toys to put in some of the others. What ideas do you all have for creative ways to replace the chocolate and candy frenzy? I don't want the kids to feel deprived because mom is on a 'health kick' but I also don't want to do this the same way we always have.

Day 10:

Well it is day 10 and I am doing the best I can figure out to do despite not having read the book yet

Breakfast: 2 slices bacon, 3 scrambled eggs. Black tea with cream and stevia.
    Lunch: avocado, can of kippers, 3/4 apple and chunk of 5 year cheddar. Black tea with cream and stevia.
    Dinner: Spinach, cauliflower, onion and garlic, bacon fritatta.

I know I shouldn't be heading to the scale all the time but it is so tempting. I have lost 11.5 pounds since I started ( more than 10 days - I have only been journaling for 10 days) and was a little disappointed to not see any weight off this morning. I know it is silly ...

I have been pretty tired today.I have worked really hard the last few days and just have not had the energy to add in some kind of exercise over and above my chores. So today no exercise again. But I have been moving a fair amount, sat more today than the last few days, but as I said I felt tired today. Got to bed really late - I know, really not a good idea! I was caught up in reading about leptin resets, and lectin's impact on autoimmune disorders (I have Disseminated Superficial Actinic Porokeratosis - DSAP) and a number of my immediate family have auto immune disorders too. I want to try the lectin elimination protocol for a few of the food groups and see what comes of it. I had hungarian goulash three days in a row and that is really high in the nightshades - that was when I had a really irritating and rather painful skin rash on my sides and on the inside of my legs. I thought my skin was just dry and irritated, but this morning my skin is totally better without any cream all day and I wondered if it may have been the lectin in the nightshades (paprika, bell peppers, tomato are all nightshades) Figure the grains are out anyway, I am not even going to mess with adding those back in, I know they are not good for me and I feel way better without them. But, I am thinking of eliminating the nightshades for a week and then eating lots for a day and then observing for 2 days after. Then I am going to gradually go through each of the remaining groups, I really want to get on top of the DSAP and at the very least see it less angry looking and stop seeing new lesions all the time! If this helps my skin condition I can recommend it to my family members knowing that it could well help them.

Ok, day 11. I weighed this morning and I am down to 213 lbs. (I keep on typing 1 instead of 2 - guess my brain hasn't figured out that I weigh a heck of a lot more than that- must be remnants of my days weighing in kgs) Anyway, today I noticed that my hands are starting to look like my hands as I remember them, my wedding ring is not so tight and I continue to feel better and better.

I have noticed I am having cramps after none for years - I wonder if it is because I am losing weight so 'quickly'? I had a nasty one in my hamstring this morning as I started to get out of bed! That sure got my attention - and then this afternoon when I bent down to pick something up I started to get a cramp in my intercostal muscles on the one side! I have been very thirsty since I started eating primal and I wonder if I am flushing too many minerals out. Anyone got some ideas? I add minerals to our water as we use RO water and so this morning I added an extra drop to my water bottle. I take good multivitamins, and supplement with kelp, cinnamon, rosehips, turmeric and am rather hit and miss with the cod liver oil ( more miss than hit I am afraid)

Breakfast: A piece of salmon and fried eggs. Black tea with cream and stevia.
    Lunch: Greek yoghurt with almonds, pecans, chia and sesame seeds and 3 strawberries.
    Snack: Cashews - handful
    Dinner: Andouille sausage with sauerkraut, asparagus sauteed in butter and sprinkled with tamari sauce, raw veggies with raspberry balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

No real exercise today, felt a bit weak and tired - almost faint for a little while today. Lay down for a half hour or so and felt a bit better, but no energy right now. Am just taking it slow if I am not feeling too great, figure my body has a lot of adjusting to do right now and don't want to push too much right now. Am hoping my leptin will reset and then will get going much more emphatically with the exercise. On my days where I am feeling less wiped out, I will try to exercise, otherwise I am just going to keep moving and active, take walks with the kids.

PrimalCon New York
    Day 12.

Breakfast: 2 sausages, 2 eggs fried in bacon fat, black tea with cream and stevia
    Lunch: 1 sausage, 1 hotdog, a little cabbage (raw), mushroom, radishes, black tea with HWC and stevia
    Snack: Almonds (small handful)
    Dinner: 4 breakfast sausages, miso soup (rutabaga, onion, garlic, carrot, nori seaweed, broccoli, green onion, cabbage) and strawberries and cream.

Still super thirsty. Was extra careful this morning not to stretch too much and had no cramps No official exercise today, just drove some fence posts, picked up around the yard, pruning the bushes and trees that have been chomped by the local voracious deer... lots of squatting and bending and walking.

Feel like I had too many carbs today with the dinner ... not sure. I know the rutabaga is a starchy vegetable and carrots are pretty sweet - but I didn't have much of either. I do feel a bit bloated this evening... not sure what from exactly. I do think there may be something not so good in the breakfast sausages as my nose got stuffy immediately I started eating this evening. Will watch carefully next time I eat to see what may be triggering that response... need to read the label to be sure no MSG. We usually buy better quality meat but we are not able to at the moment. Just making do with whatever is on sale and semi-healthy. I cringe everytime I buy meat that had to go through feedlots and that whole system. But the saying "Beggars can't be choosers" applies at the moment. Just grateful that I can buy food.

Still feeling tired today... not getting much done the last few days. Kind of dragging myself around ... I guess this is part of the whole leptin reset thing... However I do feel better mentally. I have not been thinking this clearly for a LOOOOOONGG time! Feels like I am emerging from a very heavy and prolonged fog. Feeling a little disoriented sometimes - it is so different being this alert.

On a side note, my arm is healing up nicely and most of the scabs are off and just brand new skin underneath ... too early to see if there is any improvement in the lesions. Still getting a few new lesions at the moment. Have upped my vit D3 dosage for the moment since I know it has to be really low (haven't taken it regularly in months and what with winter and auto immune stuff...) I am taking about 18 000 iu a day right now. Used to take 10 000iu. Need to try and read up more on recommended dosages and get a better frame work to work within. I'm really flying by the seat of my pants at the moment.

Will weigh myself in the morning and see if the scale goes up or down or neither. Just interested after having the miso soup tonight - not sure if it totally agrees with me.

Page 2 of 126 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast