Page 19 of 149 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal journal : Coll page 19

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Siobhan --

Thank you for your kind words. Got back on to post for someone who is sick and thought I'd check on Coll as she is the last person I communicated with.

Well, my younger son went shopping with me today and said: "Mom, you have to stop stressing about this. Just eat reasonably low fat the foods that make you happy and healthy." So, that's how I shopped. It was fun not to freak about getting vegetable wontons or something with a little vegetable oil in it. I have been going crazy. Anyway, didn't mean to carry on. What I am really curious about is how on earth you got three cats and two dogs into one carrier without all h--- breaking loose? Maybe they just understood how important it was. I have three cats as well. I can just see me trying to get them all in one carrier! NOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    I'm glad to hear the fire situation has improved! I grew up in southern California, how well I remember. I remember one day there was a knock on the door - a fireman was standing there in full gear - I could see the fire behind him. He said, "Ma'am, you have to leave NOW!" I had three cats and two dogs. I grabbed them all, shoved them in one huge carrier (luckily they were okay with this) and drove off with it bungee corded into my truck. Took nothing else except my purse. It all turned out okay, my home didn't burn and we all were just fine. I'll never forget that feeling though - it was pretty much as scared as I've ever been.

Lopisheep, I'm sorry you're having problems, I just want everyone to do well! I wish I could help.

Coll is offline Senior Member
    Oh my Lopisheep, sounds like you have just been way too stressed (easy to allow I know when things are not working the way they 'should'!) about the whole eating thing. I do find myself thinking that for now you need time to reset before trying a 'new' anything diet wise! I wonder if you have some kind of toxicity that is lurking undercover somewhere and giving you these horrid hassles. Please let us know how you get along and what is happening in your life!!! I can understand not wanting to have others opinions shoved down your throat - none of us likes that!!

I too cannot imagine getting three cats and two dogs into one carrier - however, glad it worked out for you all! My dog would just love for her and the chickens to all be in the same crate - I wouldn't have to worry about the lack of space except for the section where her belly was (it would be stuffed to bursting with 7 little chickens!)

Going to watch a movie with DH for a change - before the hectic week gets started again. I ate pretty well, no idea exactly what but ok. I did eat this morning though which didn't feel good ... DH and kids needed breakfast and I was still removing biltong from the dehydrator and nibbled on some of that. I know that it is not the end of the world but I was annoyed with myself as I know that I wasn't hungry yet and just ate because I couldn't wait for a little biltong later. I find I lose my focus if I eat like that

I have been putting the magnesium gel on my left arm and left heel for a couple of days now ... certainly seems to have helped a little. Will keep on putting it on. Felt the beginnings of the crampy feeling I get in my inner thigh - rubbed some on and it didn't trouble me for the whole night. Seems I do need the stuff...

Got to go - sleep well all and please keep in touch Pam/ Lopisheep!
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 224.8 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Yeah, stress is a killer. I'm fighting it though. Actually started a jigsaw puzzle last night instead of studying -- just to change the pace. Fun.

I'm still here. Can't let everything get to me so much.

I looked up biltong. What's your recipe for it? I might have missed that somewhere. Noticed you were heating it, but what's the actual way you fix it? Thinking there probably aren't a lot of South African stores in Colorado:-)

Have an absolutely super day, and once again you are so right.

I am going to reset!

Hey Pam, glad to see you're still around! Hugs for you today {{}}

Actually I don't heat the biltong, just have the dehydrator on the absolute lowest temp I can set it on and have it still running Before I had a dehydrator I used to make it in our basement (don't have one anymore) Colorado is very biltong friendly as it is so dry here. But we make it all the time in SA where it can be very humid and certainly hotter than most places here. I think I posted the recipe on Shamia's journal. But the short version is, freeze the meat for two weeks to kill any parasites, defrost, slice into thicknesses varying from 1" to much thinner. Some people like a nice edging of fat, others prefer it totally lean. Very open to interpretation depending on your likes and dislikes. Then you coat it with salt (coarse) and let it stand for about an hour (again) depending on how salty you like it and how thin the slices are. Scrape the salt off with a knife, dip in raw apple cider vinegar, drain and then add seasonings. Traditionally we add freshly ground black pepper, coarsely ground coriander and then a multitude of options like garlic, ginger, tabasco type sauce etc etc. I like it best with just the pepper and coriander and garlic. EIther put in a dehydrator at lowest temp setting and leave until it gets leathery with only very slight give when squeezed between thumb and forefinger, or you can dry it until brittle if you prefer. Again, some people prefer it slightly 'wet' and others like it super dry. Beware too much fat IN the meat - doesn't dry well. However a rim of fat is how we traditionally like it... I use London broil here or round or something like that. Eat it grated on scrambled eggs, sliced up, powdered, or just gnaw on a stick and exercise your jaw muscles Very Grokkish! My pieces generally end up about 3/4" thick and about 4"-6" long but it really doesn't matter. Just not too thick or the outside dries and the inside stays too wet.

You are right about the South African stores There is one in North Carolina and one in California. Those are the only ones I know about. We love jigsaw puzzles - don't have anywhere to set one up at the moment.

We found a mini foosball set at Ross's for $10 on the weekend and have all been having a blast playing that.

I discovered that I blew it a few days ago. I bought some English mustard that we always used to eat when I was growing up - pretty spicy but so tasty. I guess I was too focused on the emotions because I forgot to read the ingredients. I am usually so picky about that. Ate it two nights in a row on our sausages and then both wondered why our bodies were not happy. DH picked up the bottle absentmindedly last night when we were done eating and read out the ingredients - wheat was one of them and so was sugar. I think the sugar is negligible - but even though you really only eat tiny amounts it was enough to get my stomach upset and I gained 4 pounds in two days (just retention I know) My eating was no different otherwise! Amazing how much it affects me. And DH was amazed at how much he felt the impact as he has always thought that he was fine with wheat. Not so, he has found that his nose plugs up really quickly if he eats any grains now. He just lived with it before, but notices it immediately now. Same with most wines and beer and many other things that you wouldn't expect to find either wheat or sulfites in.

I am blowing off school today in favour of trying to get the house back to a semblance of order after the craziness of preparing for evacuation last week. It degenerated into a disaster zone and now I need to tame the jungle! So, here I come, laundry and tidying and organising. I also found some really nice sounding cake recipes (relatively simple - I'm not a baker by any stretch of the imagination!) and am going to try making one for my birthday on Thursday. The kids are so excited at the thought of a yummy primal treat. (as am I)

I decided to really cut back on my eating today, just to give my body a chance to rest after the wheat insult I gave it two days in a row. I felt pretty bloated when I woke up, but am already feeling a bit better now, mid-morning.

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

I bet that would be great for backpacking or hiking. Kind of like a super yummy and fancy version of jerky -- but I think I'll go for your biltong. One of these days, I'm going to copy all these recipes down. They are all so yummy looking.

Hope you get the house all organized to your satisfaction and then have time for a good book and a cup of tea!

It has been busy and yet I have also taken a little time for myself the last couple of days to just relax and actually read a few books It took me a few days to lose the retained water that was hanging on after the sneaky wheat episode. I also just did not feel good in general, kind of foggy brain feeling. I spent so many years in that fog and I detest it mightily!

Woke up to the horses breaking out of the pasture and galloping past my bedroom window. I ran to the front door in time to see them narrowly avoiding being hit by a truck and then tearing up the hill through a neighbors yard! Then I realised that running out in my pj's probably wasn't the greatest idea The horses were long gone by the time I was dressed and it was some hours before the owner got them back here - a horse person on a ranch nearby saw them going by and managed to catch them... made for an exciting start to the day.

Breakfast: water
    Lunch: omlette with ground beef and a little cheese melted on, handful of macadamias, an apple, tea with cream and stevia.
    Dinner: Hamburger patty, lots of salad, half an avo.

Pam, biltong is the ideal backpacking food! Light, loaded in good stuff and so yummy, the only problem with it is that it is hard to keep it to a small amount once you start eating it! I like some kinds of jerky, but biltong is to jerky as an Arabian is to a mustang (and I know I am prejudiced - lol)

The house is fractionally better, will attack with a vengeance again tomorrow, hopefully I will have dumped the last of my retained water by then too.

Reminds me of high school. Had one horse who could get over or out of anything. I remember being at school at lunch and the loudspeaker going off. "Pam. Go home. Your horses are loose again and heading south." And off I'd go to round them up. Pretty funny. Quiet area, so no crazy trucks. One was a beautiful thoroughbred, one a huge standardbred, and one a five colored donkey, so it was pretty funny.

Well, actually mustangs are my favorite. Trained one once. Love their down to earthness. So, I'll take the mustang, you can have the arab, and we'll share the biltong -- keeping the jerky in reserve:-) How's that sound?

Sounds good Pam, though honestly I have nothing against mustangs at all, just they are in a different category altogether. We have a saying in South Africa "they are like chalk and cheese"... chalk and cheese are totally different and yet great for their own purposes. Having said all that a top quality pure bred Arabian is enough to start me palpatating!!!

I love the thought of having to run off home to get the horses back in The young gelding here is the escape artist! He climbs through fences, jumps them, pushes gates over etc. Scallywag indeed. And how about we go on a long trail ride, a few days of camping out and we can share the biltong and maybe some delicious nuts and fruit too, maybe we could even forage some interesting food from the environment!

Sure sounds great to me. Of course, I'll need to lose some weight so the poor mustang doesn't collapse! If we take dried vegetables, we could have soup too:-) Biltong vegetable soup!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Soup or stew! YUM! The horses (especially naughty boy) spent the day checking out the new fencing at their escape point yesterday. He was pretty put out that we had out maneuvered him. Much stamping of hoof and fiddling with lips - ha ha ha!

Today has been ok, pretty busy. Grocery shopping, mountain of house work, baked a carrot cake (primal) for my birthday tomorrow! I am definitely not a baker - have never like baked goods much either, barring a few exceptions. Found a yummy sounding recipe and it seems to have turned out way better than any other cake I have ever attempted! Maybe it is because it is primal - my genes aren't resisting my efforts Haven't tasted it yet, but it smelled divine and the cake is all lovely and rounded on top - I have a marked tendency to make easy recipes flop, so this is fun. The frosting / icing is very tasty too - I don't like the usual frostings so was a bit skeptical about this one but it is GOOOOOD! The kids are ecstatic that we are going to have a treat that is still primal! So cute ... hopefully they like it.

Can't believe I am turning 47 tomorrow! I really feel about 24 max! And what a relief that this birthday finds me healthier and happier than I have been for many years. I am loving the feeling of clothes being super loose and comfortable. Have to wear a belt now and actually fit into one!

Breakfast: black tea with cream and stevia
    Lunch: Black tea with cream and stevia. Biltong, baby carrots, handful of macadamia nuts.
    Dinner: Hamburger patty, big bowl of berries and cream (and half a banana)

Had to throw away my old bra's - not working at all anymore Yippee! I noticed I am moving easier and not feeling as heavy as I was. Took the dog for a walk today with the kids and I didn't even notice any effort or discomfort, just strode along quite happily thank you very much! Awesome feeling. Just my obnoxious heel still troubling me - not as much as before, but definitely still grumpy.

Bought 5 pineapples today that looked really good and were on sale. Going to dehydrate them and then get some more if they are still available when I am done. I want to make some fruit rolls for the kids - trying to think what veggies I can sneak into the mix without being detected. I was thinking maybe some carrots, but otherwise I am not sure. Any ideas ladies? Something unobtrusive that can get past the kid radars?