Page 17 of 150 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal journal : Coll page 17

Candy in Wonderland is offline Senior Member
    Hi Coll, I don't "do" breakfasts anymore since I'm not hungry in the morning either. I just have coffee with some coconut milk (or double cream) and normally don't get hungry until noon.
    Tracking what I'm eating (and planning ahead) also really helps me. I'm also trying to get more carbs in (around 70 - 75gr/day) and lower the fat, and planning ahead helps with that . More fish and lean meats, less pork and beef (they tend to be high in fats).
    My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
    My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
    Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
    Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

Coll is offline Senior Member
    Hi Candy Just finished reading your journal - I am impressed with how you are coping with the situation! Glad you had a good weekend!

Well, I had a fun weekend. Mother's day was good and really relaxing. We headed up the canyon and found a spot next to the Poudre River to wade in very shallow water and look for pretty rocks etc. So very relaxing and the kids just love it too. The water was super cold!!! been snow in the high country a few times lately so there is more coming down. My heel feels a lot better after a couple of hours of being in and out icy water. Guess that means I should ice it more frequently We played around up there until too many people started arriving and then went for a drive through the canyon (doesn't do my tummy much good driving down a steep and very windy road!!) Went to BIL and SIL for dinner and to play Bocce in their backyard. Lots of fun and we just took food with us. They haven't seen me for a few months and both went into raptures about how good I am looking that felt really good I must admit. SIL has been trying to lose weight for ages and to no avail. Poor thing has been following CW and is worse off as time goes by. She said to me that I need to tell her exactly what I am doing because she is not getting anywhere with the stuff she is doing. I told her a little about the primal stuff and she was still interested. Could this really be an opportunity to help another suffering soul on her way to health and enjoying life again? Oh I do hope so!!!

I was beyond thrilled this morning when I weighed in at 198.5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Below 200lbs and by a fair amount - can you hear the Hallelujah chorus echoing off the Rocky Mountains???!!! We are going to celebrate tonight with steak cooked on a wood fire outside and eat it with our hands!!! Just like we like to do in South Africa! There is always a bunch of red meat around at South African celebrations We LOVE to braai (barbeque) and it is one of the things I really miss about South Africa. When we braai we take our time over it and it is a whole process of getting the fire just right and then getting the meat on and there is lots of visiting and laughing and playing while the whole thing is going on. I have yet to go to a real braai in the USA. Everyone seems in such a rush and usually it is the gas grill because it is faster and that just doesn't taste the same. I don't mind a gas grill for everyday use, but a braai when you have people over should be a very social occasion. The other difference is the meat that is cooked! Here in the USA usually it is hotdogs, burgers and maybe bratwurst that get put on the grill. In South Africa it is steak and lamb chops and pork chops and pork sausage and boerewors ( traditional 'farmers sausage' -yum!) and sosaties (where you skewer the meat with vegetables etc - can remember the word for it here) Sometimes we even have a whole lamb or pig on a spit and once in a very great while, at a wedding, there could even be a portion of a cow on a spit!! WHile I was growing up you didn't really use a knife and fork except for the salads and the meat you just pick up in your hands and there is much chewing of bones and delicious fat glistening on hands and chins - sometimes even dripping off your elbows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Aaaaaah, I miss it! Oh I missed mentioning things like liver wrapped in bacon and the abdominal fat of the steer - beyond yummy!

Then there is the potjiekos deal - another yummy meaty traditional food. You take a three legged, cast iron, pot bellied pot (google 'potjie' )and add meat and vegetables, meat stock and herbs and spices and then slowly cook it over the fire pretty much most of the day. The meat that comes out of that is like ambrosia. We are planning to do a potjie one of these days now that winter is over and we can enjoy being outside tending the fire and the pot all day Pity I can't bottle the smells and send it to you guys ... drooling...

I felt so much better yesterday with not eating breakfast! I just had my yummy black tea with HWC and then a picnic at lunch time (organic roast beef from the deli and some uncured ham also organic from the deli) A leftover sausage from the day before and some carrots and an apple - little one. Dinner was a burger patty wrapped in lettuce with organic ketchup and some veggies dipped in some organic ranch dressing that I know was not good (just had a tiny bit) Blackberries for dessert and homemade lemonade. And SIL had bought chocolate covered strawberries - the kids eyes got really big and so I told them they could have one. We had one too and I was really disappointed - duh! The chocolate was so sweet that I could hardly taste chocolate and my taste buds were yelling that dark chocolate would taste better! It was a good experience in that I won't do that again soon! Just not worth it!

Going to go and figure out my days food. Have a great one folks!
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 224.8 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Thank you for sharing your wonderful day and the description of the barbecue is wonderful! I can almost smell it and hear the happy voices. We call those skewered meat/veg things kabobs. That is a nice idea too, I will have to make some. When my heels were at their worst, I used to walk down to the ocean and dangle my feet off the pier - it is cold enough year round to make them nice and numb! And best is that the water doesn't lose its chill the way a bucket of ice water at home does. I am so glad the heel pain is gone, it was miserable. I wonder if I dare try barefoot shoes. Would be quite a transition from my Dansko clogs. Wow, I am kind of free associating here after reading your journal, better sign off!
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Coll, I loved reading about the braai and could almost see and smell it! Btw, do you speak Afrikaans? It looks familiar and exotic at the same time to me .

My kids learned this south african song at school, about a mouse:
    Ek's 'n dapper muis
    Kyk hoe stap ek deur die huis
    En daar's niks waarvoor ek skrik nie
    Vir niemand is ek bang
    daar is niks wat my kan vang
    nee, daar's niks waarvoor ek skrik nie
    Last edited by Candy in Wonderland; 05-14-2012 at 12:53 PM. Reason: the song

Hey Candy! That was fun seeing some Afrikaans Yes I am bilingual, my mom is half Welsh and half Afrikaans and was an Afrikaans teacher for many years. I vaguely remember that song from when i was a little girl too, amazing to think that someone living so far away has learnt it. I actually overheard someone in the grocery store this afternoon talking to her two kids and I could understand pretty well what she was saying but there was a definite something different too, it wasn't Dutch as I can usually recognize that. I found myself wondering if they were speaking Flemish or something like that. What do you speak at home?

Well, I had a great day. I skipped breakfast except for my usual tea with cream and stevia.
    Lunch: I was hungry - growling tummy and all. Had an omlette with leftover mince and a sprinkle of cheese.
    Dinner: Ribeye steak, salad and a bowl of berries and cream.
    Calories about 1500, protein 114 g, fat 106 g, carbs 38.5 g. I just didn't have room for another thing. Will try to include something more carby tomorrow. Feel good right now though. It is all just major learning curve as I try to figure out what my body wants and needs. Just feeling my way along at the moment.

Good night all, take care and sleep well, or have a good day if you are across on the other side of the world!

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

We speak Flemish at home . I was talking to my DH about it yesterday and he learned "My Sarie Marais" at school (maaaaany years ago, he's 52 now) and can still sing it and knows big parts of the lyrics!

Wow Candy, My Sarie Marais is one of the old traditional songs that just about everyone knows. What is the connection that you guys learn some Afrikaans?

Well, I am trying to get to bed at a better time and not spend so much time on the internet late, but it is hard to get it all in during the day what with everything else that is going on... So I am going to post in the mornings for a while and see how that goes. I am down another pound today, seems I am finding that sweet spot for my fat loss! Hope I can fine tune this whole thing and get the extra off me! I am almost down to 'overweight' rather than 'obese' on my body fat index! That is exciting

I was at the park with the kids yesterday and one of the other moms said to me 'yeah but you're just normal' meaning my weight, I know she was being 'nice', but it still felt good!
    Yesterday:
    Breakfast: black tea with cream and stevia
    Lunch: leftover steak, cucumber, carrots, mushrooms, 1/8 cup macadamia nuts
    Dinner: Left over steak and 1/2 of a 92% lean burger patty, large bowl salad with a little homemade salad dressing
    Snack: I realised that my carbs were way too low so I had a large glass of raw milk with a date roll and two pieces of G&B 85% chocolate. I had these just before going to bed and was not sure whether it was a good idea - weighed this morning and I lost fat so I guess not too bad huh? Will try to incorporate more carbs in my day today so that I don't have to do a late night snack ... just felt too full at the meal times to fit in anything else.

Didn't do much focused exercise but stood and walked most of the day, watered the yard and gardens, did chicken chores, laundry, cooking, cleaning and school ( I get to sit for about half an hour to do reading lesson with DS) I am adjusting to standing more and while my heel is not healed (yet) I do have less pain today. I was realising that my magnesium intake is pretty low consistently and I have low grade cramps a lot of the time and especially in bed. I was also reading how magnesium is very helpful with skin stuff and aches and pains. SO I ordered some magnesium chloride gel that I am going to try on my heel and my left arm (DSAP is particularly bad on that arm and a bit irritated at the moment) I am also going to start putting Epsom salts in the kid's baths regularly as they say that absorption through the skin is very safe and no side effects. I know what magnesium does if I take it orally - so not going that route!!! I had a 4th degree tear with my DD birth and things get unpleasant when magnesium or such takes it's toll... TMI I am sure...

Yesterday: Calories 1452
    Protein 84.1 g
    Carbs 77.1g
    Fat 94.4 g
    I still think the fat is a bit high and the protein needs to come up a bit... will keep working on that today. We'll see how that goes. But, overall, I think I am starting to get the feel for what works for me. Hopefully I can keep this up and dump the next 23lbs quickly! I am aiming for 185 lbs next I think... I haven't been below 187 lbs since my first pregnancy ... 10 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Coll View Post
    Wow Candy, My Sarie Marais is one of the old traditional songs that just about everyone knows. What is the connection that you guys learn some Afrikaans?
    The kids learn about other countries (they also have a project about South America for example), and Afrikaans as a language is related to Dutch/Flemish, so I think the teachers think it's fun to teach a song .

That is cool Candy I knew that Flemish was an easy transition for an Afrikaans speaker - but I had never talked to someone who is Flemish speaking who knows a little Afrikaans. Ek hoop jou dag is 'n goeie een al sukkel jy met jou seun! Alles van die beste... I think I will have to pull out my traditional South African songs CD and crank it for a while and sing along to "My Sarie Marais is so ver van my hart, ek hoop om haar weer te sien ..."

Yesterday got too busy and I got pretty hungry on and off. I ate a lovely big lunch of leftover lean beef patty with two fried eggs on top and a big bowl of salad. Dinner was a pork chop on the braai fire and we ate outside again to the kids delight They love eating with their fingers. Then for dessert we had bowls of fresh fruit salad - just a splurge because I am loving seeing all the tropical fruit out at the grocery stores. So I diced a small papaya, a couple bananas, mangoe, pineapple, nectarines, squeezed two oranges, and threw a dry pint of blueberries in. Then some HWC on top - ambrosia!!! The kids were in raptures I know it was not the most balanced meal and was loads of high carb fruit .... but we don't do this every day and it was a healthy treat. Then I got my harmonica and played for a while while the kids lay and swung on the swing. So relaxing watching the sky get darker and see the bats come out and swoop around us eating all those irritating bugs. The kids fell asleep really quickly - I am sure the gradual darkening and the full tummies and a little music all played a part. They had been all stressed out earlier in the day as there is a wildfire close to us and they were both almost in tears at one point as the smoke clouds got really big and nasty (dark brown and blackish) and blew our way. They are so worried about the firefighters and that someone will be killed - so sweet but I don't want them stressing so much. So I think the outside dinner was a perfect distraction and once the sun was down the clouds of smoke were not so visible and the wind direction changed so they couldn't smell it for a while either. Really hoping they have been able to start containing the fire, it has been a very mild and dry winter and spring and the fire danger has been really high. So far no deaths or house's involved which is great.

I am going to head out and cart some wheelbarrows of soil for a while. The kids are still sleeping and I love the early morning (not so early today though ) to get out and get some outdoor chores done. Best time of the day in some ways. Oh, a quick word about my clothes. The pants and t-shirt I took my before pictures in are really loose and the pants are almost too big to wear safely anymore!! I can take them off without loosening the button and zip! I am going to keep them and eventually when I get to my goal weight I will do a pic in them again. Might do a few along the way too ...

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    That sounds like a perfect evening. A feast, music, twilight creeping up, and dozing before a fire.
    Primal gold star!