Page 16 of 150 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal journal : Coll page 16

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I am so glad your skin is improving. Since our skin is our only visible organ, I like to think that our internal organs are improving just as much as our skin. When we see it is getting better, we can assume the rest of them are, too. (Completely unscientific, I know, but I think it nonetheless.)
    We must have the same feet! Have you seen the pictures sbhikes posted of the shoes she made for herself? I am tempted.
    Last edited by Sabine; 05-07-2012 at 09:56 AM.

Coll is offline Senior Member
    Sabine, I totally agree with you about the skin showing some of what is going on in our bodies! And I don't think it is a stretch scientifically either! I shall have to try and find the shoes you're talking about - that sounds intriguing
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 224.8 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Well, it has been very busy the last few days and I feel like I am only now coming up for breath! I have been working my butt off in the garden on and off for the last few days. And doing homeschool and DH has been working like a crazy man making up for all the time he had no work. Overall it has just been too busy ... feel like I need to regroup and get my focus back.

The nice thing is that I have new flowers and plants happily planted in the garden that has consumed so much of my time and energy lately. Now just to get some mulch so that it doesn't all dry out too quickly - the soil is very sandy so doesn't hold water well at all.

Yesterday we had a bunch of sausages (a number of different types) left over from DH's grilling frenzy the night before. Some I had bought and some he had picked up. I ate some for breakfast and dinner - and then spent most of the late evening running to the bathroom with some very emphatic repercussions! I was wracking my brains trying to imagine what could have possibly been in my food yesterday to upset my stomach so much - and then I thought that maybe there was wheat in the sausage that DH picked up!? It is all I could think of - and if so it was a pretty strong reaction! The only other thing that is different is that I started taking Evening Primrose oil a few days ago - but that had not had a reaction on the previous days. So, I did not feel too sharp today - felt a little bloated and stomach just not quite right today. Not particularly hungry either. Skipped breakfast though I did have my usual cup of tea and cream.
    Lunch: Kippers and salad, kombucha, handful of macadamia nuts
    Dinner: Skipped and just had a cup of tea with cream and a few more macadamia nuts.

Feeling better this evening.

Today did a fair amount of gardening again with lots of squatting and digging soil, lots of walking and standing today. I do so love gardening and buying plants and flowers is heavenly I am hoping that the deer don't just stroll up and devour the lot tonight! I need to come up with a way to keep them away from the garden without turning it into Fort Knox!

I was reading Mark's article about sprinting today and realised that I really do avoid sprinting - I am happy to walk and work but tend to avoid sprinting. Part of that is because my body is not exactly in sprinting shape and I feel embarrassed. Part of it is because I am afraid of hurting myself by overdoing it. But both of these excuses are exactly that! First of all I have a private area where I can sprint without embarrassing myself, and secondly I have already done a sprint session as Mark recommended and it worked really well and I felt great and no excessive hurting either. So, 'me', get your act together and do the occasional sprint workout! No more excuses! I also really want to work on the pullups - it would be so awesome to get to doing a real pullup by Christmas! I do think that could be possibly if I worked on it consistently. Right now I will stick with using the branch in the cottonwood tree in the backyard and try to practice regularly.

Had a very disturbed night last night - feeling pretty tired today as a result. The kids wanted to do a sleepover in DS room and so we got them all set up only to be woken up three times by DD who could not sleep because he was breathing too loudly and it echoes in his room! Sigh! Talk about sensitive! So eventually I got DH to help me cart her mattress back to her room - I confess I was somewhat grumpy.

I am so behind on reading everyone's journals - no time at the moment. I would rather go to bed in good time - just know that I am thinking about you all and hoping you are doing well!

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Candy in Wonderland is offline Senior Member
    Working in your garden is already a workout too .
    My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
    My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
    Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
    Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

Pretty good day today. I had tons of energy after hardly eating at all yesterday

Breakfast: 6 fried bantam eggs (approximately 2 large regular eggs) and 6 breakfast sausage links. Black tea with cream and stevia
    Lunch: 1/3 cup of macadamia nuts
    Dinner: Hamburger patty in lettuce with mustard and ketchup (organic but still has some sugar - I had a tiny bit, I need to make some of the good stuff!) 1 small artichoke with garlic butter dip, homemade icecream (cream, vanilla, egg yolks and stevia - yum!) with a few blueberries.

I made the kids some popsicles with coconut milk and banana and orange juice - too much banana and not enough of other flavours. DS declined after a few bites but DD loved it Guess DS and I have a similar idea of what is yummy in this regard.
    I have been giving DD 4 prunes everyday and her bm's are SO much better! She is thrilled to bits and comes running every time she has a normal and unpainful bm. I am embarrassed that I didn't do this earlier. Poor girl has been through a tough time with this issue. I have tried all kinds of things and sometimes they work, but I always try to wean her off whatever is helping and then she is back to the constipation. Wish I could figure out what the cause is - she eats a really good diet, loves veggies and fruit...

I lay in the sun for 40 minutes this afternoon. I hid behind the chicken runs and a toy truck so that I had privacy. I cringe at the thought of our neighbour / landlord seeing me out there in my swimsuit!!!! He is home most of the time so I do some pretty careful sneaking around He's one of those people that has no boundaries and will wander over to talk when I really am not interested. (most of the time really) I told DH today that I want a padlock on the gate to our backyard so that the landlords kids can't just wander in whenever they want. I like to have them over - but I also like to choose when! On Easter Sunday DH and I were sitting outside on the swing having a lovely chat and next thing the kids (5 and 4 years old) just ambled on in and then the parents were close behind and while I like them I really found it intrusive. I want to be able to go outside without always feeling like I need to hide away or someone will be coming over to join me. I think I am too much of a loner to enjoy this. We lived for 5 years on a piece of land that was on a culdesac and we were the last property with anyone living on it. We used to see a couple of vehicles every day and that was it - loved it. It felt so private and it was awesome to be able to be outside working in a bikini top and shorts and not worry about who was going to go by and see me.

Delighted to report that the grass is growing in the first area we seeded It is going to be so much nicer. I won't have to be so careful about not breaking my leg in a hole in the dark!

I rearranged our bedroom today, moved two dressers, two nightstands, and a queen size bed - I figure that was some exercise there. The dressers were heavy and I didn't empty them. Was thrilled this morning when I weighed in at 200 lbs!! First time I have been there in years!

Well, I need to go and shower and hit the sack. Here's to reaching short term goals Yee ha!

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I'm so glad the prunes are working for your daughter. And, especially, because there is no need for her to be weaned off of them. Yay, prunes!
    And congratulations on getting to 200. New markers are always fun.
    We have an alley behind our yard. Screened by bushes, but there are some gaps. I always feel a little exposed when I go out there for some sunbathing, but what can you do? At least the dogs bark if anyone goes by, so I would know if someone was standing there, oogling me. (Not that I am expecting that. Most likely, it would be 'Oh, my gosh, is that lady in a bathing suit? Yikes!' and a quick scurry away. Now, when I get down to fighting trim, that will be different!

Ha ha ha! I so identify with your 'comment' - I really don't want somebody to start shrieking in horror after seeing me in my swimsuit! LOL!! I love the thought of 'fighting trim'! Oh man! Won't that be awesome - to actually be concerned that someone might be ogling you because you look good in a swimsuit! Lovely thought!

Had a reasonable day - kind of tired though. It was pretty hot (86 F) and I just felt rather lethargic. Had to force myself to keep moving and get stuff done. I got rather grumpy and actually think I should have rather had a little lie down instead of forcing myself to keep going. Just feels sometimes that you can't get off the merry-go-round when you are a mom and 'teacher' and all the other things that I am. There is always a long list of things waiting to be done and never enough time to get it done! I find it so hard to prioritize and say no to stuff! Sometimes I am just desperate for time off, to just veg and be on my own. I did eventually make some time to play my chanter which is always helpful, such a good tension reliever for me. Can't think about everything else when I am focusing on my music

My eating was somewhat discombobulated today and I felt out of whack all round. I really think I need to just wait on eating 'breakfast' until I am hungry. If I eat one meal when I am not really hungry that sets the tone for the day and then I continue with eating out of habit. I really need to be more intentional about listening to my body's cues before actually eating. I am still getting too much fat and not enough protein and not enough veggies. That goes along with my not planning things out properly. I have no desire to change anything as far as homeschooling etc goes - but sometimes I do envy people whose kids are off at school all day and they have all that time to do all kinds of stuff. It is a mission for me to try and get a little time to practice my music every day. DH is really good at trying to help me get a little time to myself but he is so busy at the moment that I don't have that option right now. Oh well, enough whining for now - I have a LOT to be grateful for and I am not going to get stuck on the things I don't have and will rather focus on how very blessed I am in so many ways

I am too tired to rethink all the food I ate today - suffice it to say that overall it was close to what I want as far as total intake though my macros were a little skewed toward the fats again. Carbs ok and protein too low. I am pooped and am going to head for bed folks. Take care

Shamia is offline Senior Member
    Coll!! Congrats on the 200 mark!! YAY!! I'm so happy for you!!
    Not much has been going on here - same old same old. My zuchini plants are coming up, so that's nice
    I love my little garden.

Hey Shamia, I have been wondering how you were doing! Thanks for dropping in How is work going? Glad you are having fun with your garden! Best kind of fun .....

DH took me to the nursery that was having a sale today and I got to pick out some perennials that will cope with living in pots until we find a place to buy. (early mother's day gift) DH kept the kids while I got to traipse around by myself and drool over all the lovely plants So nice to have some time to myself unexpectedly, especially after whining yesterday about not getting alone time

Breakfast: Skipped except for black tea with cream and stevia
    Lunch : 8 slices bacon (thin) and scrambled eggs, 1/4 cup macadamia nuts
    Snack: (while at Wholefoods shopping) I had half a date roll and a tiny cube of yummy aged cheese Black tea with cream and stevia as I was freezing cold after wandering around at the nursery (we are having a cold snap today - got up to 48 F today! Only 40 degrees different from yesterday!)
    Dinner: Ribeye steak grilled and artichoke dipped in garlic butter, homemade icecream with blueberries

Lots of walking today and this morning I spent a while dismantling the old chicken run so that DH could mow the jungle that has suddenly come up. The hummingbirds have found our feeders today and I am so thrilled! There are so many birds here, what with the trees and the irrigation ditch right next to our yard! It is so wonderful to hear their chorus all day long. There is a little woodpecker that spends most of his day drumming away on a dead tree and it is a lovely sound The robins are hopping around merrily ducking under the spray from the sprinkler tugging on the worms that come up for air. There was a very amorous redwinged blackbird under the feeder this evening who did his fancy little wingdragging dance after jumping his lady - she just carried on looking for seed quite unconcerned with his romantic overtures (very emphatic he was too - lol)

For a change our chickens were quite happy to go inside the shed this afternoon ... it really was cold and then late this afternoon it started raining. There is no real shelter in the runs so in they went. Happy to be dry and out of the cold wind with food and nice fresh alfalfa hay to scratch through.

Kids are in bed and DH and I are going to watch a movie together for a change. So nice to have him home today - my best friend!!!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    OK, I am thinking more and more that it might be good to skip breakfast. I am not really hungry in the morning at the moment and for some reason I am still eating breakfast. This is setting me up for a whole day of eating when I am not hungry. I end up getting too much food on board and am not feeling my best as a result. Not feeling bad - just overloaded by the end of the day. I know I am too busy and not being intentional about planning my food either. My hair is starting to come out a bit faster than normal - I have been really low carb for a few months now and so after reading of the other folks with this issue I boosted my carb intake today. I am going to try getting it up around 70 g per day instead of about 20 ish. I really don't like sweet potatoes - never have. So I had a date roll and a glass of raw milk Don't know if this is a wise route to take but I have never noticed any issues with dairy and I know this is really good milk. We'll see how my body takes this. I feel fine this evening - no upset stomach. Of course I ate too much today - 1600 calories ... we'll see what my scale says in the morning. I just feel like I am have not found that 'sweet spot' that works for me. I really feel that I need to up my veggie intake much more, try to cut back on my fat and keep the protein up. How to practically put this all together is the question now.

For today - calories 1615; fat 104.6 g; carbs 83.6 g: protein 89.7 g. (and now I am suddenly remembering other bits that I ate that didn't make it onto the equation ...) not accurate at all. As you can see this is not where I want to be at the moment. Unfortunately I really enjoy my HWC in tea now. I really think that skipping breakfast and waiting until I am genuinely hungry to eat is the answer (duh!)

Breakfast: Omlette with ground beef and a sprinkle of cheese, apple (really small one)
    Lunch: left over steak, 1/2 cup baby carrots, glass milk and a date roll
    Snack: 1/4 cup pecans, 7 oz blackberries
    Dinner: 2 bratwurst, sauerkraut, BAS with a drizzle of olive oil dressing, piece of dark chocolate.

I think I can safely say that I feasted today Swear I was trying to gain weight the way I carried on. A lot of it is just habit - when I am feeding the family I feed myself - don't even stop to check if I am hungry. Oh well, I guess I'll pick myself up again and try tomorrow to only eat when I am truly hungry. All these old habits can sneak up on me and catch me unawares.

On a positive note DH is very positive about the changes he is seeing - now if I can just get this figured out maybe I can get in good enough shape that I will be happy too.