Page 12 of 149 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal journal : Coll page 12

motherofgods is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Sleep well Coll!
    Reclaiming my waistline: inch by inch

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Here's a good 'formula' for figuring your calories and macronutrients.

You need .7-1.0 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass, as a minimum. Some think as high as 1.5grams while you are losing weight/rebuilding your body.

Look at Mark's carbohydrate curve to decide your number of carb grams. Fewer for weight loss, more if you are active is an acceptable starting point. Pick a spot, and try it for a while. Adjust up or down as needed.

Go to a calorie computer to figure how many CALORIES you need for your height, weight, and activity level. Subtract your protein and carb calories from to find out how much fat you use to finish off.

Example: 200 pounds, 40% fat = 120 pounds lean body mass
    120 x 1.0 = 120 grams protein = 480 calories

Wanting to lose weight, going to try 50 grams of carb = 200 calories

5'8", 200 pounds = 1800 calories per day + 500 calories for being moderately active = 2300 calories

2300-680 = 1620 calories of fat

or, if you believe in calorie reduction, and not just carb restriction

1800-680 = 1110 calories of fat

And personally, I do NOT count the carbs from non-starchy veges or berries. To me they are freebies. Hope this is some good starting information for you.

Coll is online now Senior Member
    Thanks Motherofthegods! I did sleep well!

Sabine, thank you so much for sharing that information! It is VERY helpful! I was not sure what I was aiming for - so how the dickens was I going to hit it! I just signed on at fitday.com and I can see it is going to be a useful tool for me as I figure out ratios. From what I have been figuring I need more protein, doing fine for carbs and fat. Guess I'll be eating more eggs ... I just had a big breakfast and got a way to go before I have enough protein. I thought I would go for higher protein as I want more as well as seeming to actually need more. I am feeling ok as far as carbs and fat go. I also think the berries and good veg don't count in the sense of being too much.

Breakfast: Black tea with milk and cream and stevia, 2 fried eggs, can of kippered herrings, cup raw cauliflower, 3 baby carrots, 1/2 orange.

We'll see how the day goes from here. Hopefully that breakfast will hold me through a chunk of the day. I am feeling replete right now.
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 224.8 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Oh, kippered herring! Yum. Haven't had that in a while. I'll need to add it to my grocery list.

Shamia is offline Senior Member
    Hi Coll! found some more info on the heavy-metal poisoning detox thing. They have a pesto-like recipe, I think it's primal enough to add to salad (or smear on cold meats, I think it needs to be unheated due to it calling for extra virgin olive oil)

3. Add More Parsley and Cilantro (Coriander) To Your Diet
    Parsley and cilantro (coriander) are very powerful natural green plant foods for detoxing heavy metals out of your body. Add these amazing herbs to juices, salads, soups and meals.

Heavy Metal Detox Pesto Recipe:
    3 cloves garlic
    1/3 cup Brazil nuts (selenium source) or macadamia nuts
    1/3 cup sunflower seeds (cysteine source)
    1/3 cup pumpkin seeds (zinc, magnesium sources)
    1 cup fresh cilantro (corriander)
    1 cup parsley
    2/3 cup cold pressed olive oil
    4 tablespoons lemon juice (Vitamin C source)
    Big pinch of sea salt and or dulse flakes to flavor
    Soak the seeds and nuts over night to release the enzyme exhibitors. Process the parsley, cilantro (corriander) and olive oil in a blender until chopped. Add the garlic, nuts, and seeds, salt / dulse and lemon juice and mix until the mixture is finely blended into a paste. Store in dark glass jars if possible. It freezes well also if needs be. (my personal tip would be to freeze it into ice cube trays - then transfer to a ziptop bag. Nice portions and you can use the trays for other things)

It does not sound too horrible, like a pesto of sorts and you can grow the cilantro and parsley in your garden!

Hope you'll have a great weekend - I'm hoping for dry weather so that I can go attack the weeds that are overgrowing my cute baby lettuces.

That sounds like an interesting recipe... shall have to try it. I bought cilantro just the other day. Poor things are still languishing in their tiny pot - better transplant them before they expire. Thanks so much for taking the time to write that all down for me - so sweet of you!

Well, I got hungry by the time lunch rolled around so I ate lunch today.
    Lunch : 2 boiled eggs in a big salad with homemade dressing
    Dinner: 4 medium sized mushrooms stuffed with breakfast sausage and wrapped with bacon, grilled. 2 Anaheim chili peppers stuffed and wrapped with the same stuff. 5 strawberries.

I worked in the yard shoveling soil and filling holes for at least an hour and a half. Then the kids and I relocated the new chicken run to a better spot. I hope to start getting all the fences etc set up so that the chickens and dog are separated. Then I will need to add some hessian to the fence so the dog is not constantly trying to get through and harassing the poor birds! Once the chickens are out of the way I need to get the bare patches in the backyard seeded and then it is full bore watering for a few weeks until the new grass is established. The air is so dry here the soil dries out very quickly. So I think we are going to sprinkle a nice layer of straw on the bare patches and then we have to hold the straw down so the wind doesn't just blow it to kingdom come.

The kids were so cute today, I had gone inside to top up my water and change into cooler clothes and when I came out they had almost filled the wheelbarrow to half way and it is an 8 cubic foot one! They were so excited to help and surprise me! Delightful!

Going to spend the day tomorrow looking for a 'new' vehicle for our family. Hopefully we can find a decent old one that isn't a crock! It will be so nice to have a vehicle with more kid friendly seating. We have been driving an old beater truck around, it has a second row of seats but the one front seat doesn't flip anymore and ... and... It is great for picking up hay or lumber but just isn't much fun for grocery shopping etc. So we'll see if I have anything to report tomorrow. Am headed for bed, pretty tired from standing most of the day and then the yard work. Off to have a nice hot shower and hit the sack

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Long day today. Spent about 8 hours driving around looking at second hand vehicles. Nothing yet... always astounds me how messy some people leave the vehicle even when they know you are coming to look at it. Don't they realise that mud, dust, and inch of dog hair and grime don't leave a good impression?! YUCK!

Breakfast : hamburger patty, two eggs scrambled, carrots, black tea with milk, cream and stevia
    Lunch : Too many nuts, apple, organic deli meat (5 slices) garlic stuffed olives (too many! Probably about 11! ) Cauliflower, broccoli, strawberries. Lunch was actually a snack time turned into meal extended over a few hours - I am just pathetic on road trips! I have traditionally eaten loads of junk when driving places - but instead I ate loads of decent stuff. Marginally better
    Dinner: Two hamburger patties, one lettuce leaf wrap, two slices tomato, 1/2 cup sauerkraut.

Needless to say - not much exercise but tired anyway. I did get in good standing time this evening with preparing dinner, practicing my music (did it standing today) and then on the computer this evening. I really am enjoying having my workstation standing. It makes a big difference to my day and keeping my brain awake instead of slowing down until I can barely get off the chair. I seem to get a lot more done and feel better in myself. Of course my feet are complaining and I am having to be careful with my posture and keep trying to correct it.

My extra tire around my belly is shrinking - it is harder to get a hold of nowadays! I have to dig a little to get a good handful now I guess it might be good to measure myself again soon. I will be interested to see what the scale says about my eating today ... I feel a bit bloated this evening. Maybe the olives and the nuts? I really hate when I get the munchies - totally did not even need lunch - never mind grazing all day as I did. Grrr!

As I expected I had gained about 1.5 pounds over night. Now to see if I can get back on track with eating a balanced and primal style diet. Today was another busy and disjointed one. I putzed around outside repotting some flowers and herbs that have been waiting not too patiently for attention. Watered the backyard, just light moving around really...

Wasn't hungry so skipped lunch and headed off to my music lesson. My favourite time every few weeks is when I can make it to my bagpipe lesson. DH has to work a lot of weekends and now our old truck is just not particularly reliable anymore and he doesn't want me heading off with the kids for an hour long drive there and then back again. So I have to wait for the weekends when he is home and able to watch the kids while I use his vehicle. It is pure bliss having an hours drive with no conversation or demands on me at all. I often just drive in total silence - it is so restful when you are with 2 young kids and a gregarious hubby all the time! Then I have to focus really hard on what I am learning - I am a bit of a slow learner and don't have any background in music so this can be a bit laborious at times. So an hour of attempting to accomplish whatever my teacher is going through with me. Then I get to hang out and watch the band practice for a couple of hours after that. And then another hours drive home. I find myself buzzing after that - so awesome!!!!

Breakfast: Bacon 5 slices, scrambled eggs, black tea with milk and cream and stevia
    Lunch: Black tea with milk and cream and stevia.
    'snack': About 5:30 a burger patty and some baby carrots
    dinner: 8:30pm 2 sausages, more carrots, bowl of strawberries and cream

Looking forward to getting more on track again tomorrow. But, now that I think of it we may be off again looking for another vehicle - sigh! I hope we can find one soon ... I don't like shopping much I am just a homebody.

Shamia is offline Senior Member
    You know that that pound and a half is just water weight! All you gotta do is pee it out (probably from a relatively high salt-content combined with being seated all day)

Buying a car is only fun if you have enough money, so that you just hop into the shop, pick a colour and be done with it!

I'm kinda jealous you can do all those standing up-things.. I wish I could transform my office computer!

Oh, gotta be working again.. sigh.. (yes, including CW..) Bye!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Shamia, it is all pee-ed out! I need to measure myself soonish as I do feel that I may have lost some inches here and there. Sorry about CW, hang in there and smile sweetly while you shoot imaginary vinegar LOL. Hope you had a good day. Going to head outside soon and attack some more yard work before it gets too hot.