Page 119 of 150 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 1493

Thread: Primal journal : Coll page 119

Coll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    That is exactly the deal PC. One day something sets me off big time and I eat the same stuff on another day and nothing at all happens - too weird. I thought for a bit it might be the digestive enzymes - but after cutting way back on those it is not that. starting today I am taking some potato starch (1 tsp to start - don't want any crazy reactions) and 1 prescript assist. I am not waiting until I see the doc next week. Today I feel stopped up in the digestive system. My weight is fluctuating rather widely at the moment - after a day of the runs it is down (obviously) and then after a couple more normal days it is up and I am just not going to worry too much about it until I have the gut issues settled. I am not eating a whole lot at the moment - sometimes I get mad! I eat way better than a lot of folks and here I am still looking like a ten ton Tessy - DANG! So many people look at you and immediately judge that you stuff your face with food all day long. I feel really self conscious sometimes when grocery shopping - I HATE being fat. I am sure people think I am loading up on too much conventionally 'bad' stuff like fat and meat ... I am not exactly a good ad for primal WOE. Not like I can walk around with my blood test results pasted to my forehead along with a sign saying - " I am actually healthier than I look"

We are excited about the bees PC because there is enough honey (we think) that we can harvest a fair amount for our own use. It is the main sweetener that we use and I am also looking forward to having bees wax around to add to lotions and making candles etc. It is going to take a while to accumulate enough wax to do much - but it is a start. Honey is such an all round great thing to have in your house - fantastic for putting on burns and wounds - they heal up really well. I usually mix a little lavender and geranium essential oils into the honey and put a nice generous smear on. Works beautifully and is very soothing too. I know, I am weird - love that kind of stuff

It is always sobering seeing your folks in their senior years and trying to think how to avoid becoming like them! I think having a happy outlook on life, staying flexible and always learning, valuing others and appreciating their efforts on your behalf and saying so, trying to be loving and caring and kind and respecting others choices even when you don't agree. OF course there is much more, but just a little effort would go a long way - just a bit of appreciation would help so much.
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 224.8 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

theprimalcajun is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coll View Post
    That is exactly the deal PC. One day something sets me off big time and I eat the same stuff on another day and nothing at all happens - too weird. I thought for a bit it might be the digestive enzymes - but after cutting way back on those it is not that. starting today I am taking some potato starch (1 tsp to start - don't want any crazy reactions) and 1 prescript assist. I am not waiting until I see the doc next week. Today I feel stopped up in the digestive system. My weight is fluctuating rather widely at the moment - after a day of the runs it is down (obviously) and then after a couple more normal days it is up and I am just not going to worry too much about it until I have the gut issues settled. I am not eating a whole lot at the moment - sometimes I get mad! I eat way better than a lot of folks and here I am still looking like a ten ton Tessy - DANG! So many people look at you and immediately judge that you stuff your face with food all day long. I feel really self conscious sometimes when grocery shopping - I HATE being fat. I am sure people think I am loading up on too much conventionally 'bad' stuff like fat and meat ... I am not exactly a good ad for primal WOE. Not like I can walk around with my blood test results pasted to my forehead along with a sign saying - " I am actually healthier than I look"

We are excited about the bees PC because there is enough honey (we think) that we can harvest a fair amount for our own use. It is the main sweetener that we use and I am also looking forward to having bees wax around to add to lotions and making candles etc. It is going to take a while to accumulate enough wax to do much - but it is a start. Honey is such an all round great thing to have in your house - fantastic for putting on burns and wounds - they heal up really well. I usually mix a little lavender and geranium essential oils into the honey and put a nice generous smear on. Works beautifully and is very soothing too. I know, I am weird - love that kind of stuff

It is always sobering seeing your folks in their senior years and trying to think how to avoid becoming like them! I think having a happy outlook on life, staying flexible and always learning, valuing others and appreciating their efforts on your behalf and saying so, trying to be loving and caring and kind and respecting others choices even when you don't agree. OF course there is much more, but just a little effort would go a long way - just a bit of appreciation would help so much.
    Coll I know how you feel. It sucks how sometimes it seems our bodies work against us. When you go for months of good eating & the scale doesn't move...or else it does...up...it gets disheartening. That's why I'm trying to take marcadav's advice & trying to get in the mindset of just eating healthy...& not worrying about losing weight. You would think that would be easy, but it's hard! . I quit worrying about what people might think of what I buy at the store a long time ago. Since there are two other people in my house the junk food is for them. There is usually good stuff mixed in with the yucky stuff. lol.

Well if you're weird then I am too. I love honey...& yes it is antibacterial, antimicrobial, that's why it's so good for wounds. It also has practically no expiration date. I love essential oils too. I hope you get lots of good honey from your hive!!

Every thing you said about getting older is so right on. That's how I want to be when I get old...heck I try to be like that now! lol My mil is exactly the opposite & makes everyone around her miserable. I soooo don't want to be like that.

Have a great evening!!
    Goal: Don't worry be happy!

I haven't been around for a bit - just trying to get the gut issue under control again. I am glad to report that the day I started with 1 teaspoon of potato starch and Prescript Assist the diarrhea stopped! I am not stressing about whether to eat something or not in case it precipitates a nasty episode. I am struggling with the swing of the pendulum now, but my psyllium husk arrived in the mail yesterday so I am hoping this will get things moving along again. I am just so relieved to be able to eat without fear! I am still being careful with black tea - just having some once in a while instead of every day. I have taken to drinking honeybush or rooibos instead and I have cut way back on the pasteurized cream - too darn expensive aside from a whole boatload of calories when I am toooo fat. I have Aunt Flo pending in the next couple days so once her visit is over I am going to try and do a reset. I'm seeing the doc on Monday afternoon and am interested in what comes of that meeting.

DH has been ill for a few days - he so seldom gets sick but he got a nasty cold this time and has been feeling miserable. Between the kids not sleeping well and DH being restless and snoring fit to deafen an army my sleep has been pathetic for about a week. Yesterday I ate two bars of chocolate!!! Yikes!

I am sooo tired of the wind - it just wears on you and it makes it hard to be outside for long, and really limits what you can do. The temperatures don't look bad on the thermometer but when you add in strong wind it is miserable. Everything has to be tied down, kids can't jump on the trampoline or they'll get blown off it! (We have the trampoline staked into the ground with fence posts and even then sometimes I wonder if it will get pulled up)

We had the kids last tennis lesson yesterday - they have really been enjoying it. Hoping that more will be organized. We started a crochet class on Wednesday which was really fun and even DS is working on a trivet It is painstakingly slow going with him, but he is thrilled to be doing it. There was another boy at the class, who is buzzing along crocheting blankets and hats and scarves. I think DS was inspired seeing another boy interested...

We have at most a couple of months before we look at buying a place - I am hanging in there. I am so VERY ready to be done with this place. So ready to be done with the schmarmy landlord who is so disrespectful of us!!! I was busy doing school a few days ago, late morning, when there's a banging on the door. Sure sign that it is the landlord, only person who knocks as if he is trying to knock the door down. When I open the door he is standing there with a woman from the bank who needed to come in immediately to take pictures of the interior of the house!!!!!!!!!! I mean, not even 1 minutes notice? He knew - couldn't he have given me the courtesy of a call to let me get a few things squared away. Not that the place was a zoo, but it was messy and it felt like such an invasion. Grrrr!

Whining done - just longing to move on and leave this season behind!

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Hey, Coll! Just poking my head in to say 'hi'.

Glad to hear you got such good and immediate results with the potato starch and prescript assist. Diarrhea is the pits!

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    I haven't had diarrhea but when I made an effort to eat resistant starch (sweet potatoes, tapioca) on a daily basis my digestion improved immensely, so it doesn't surprise me that the potato starch is helping you. Glad you're feeling better!

Pretty sure it is not even legal for the landlord to drop by and want to come unless it is an obvious emergency. Of course you don't want to get involved in BS, but since he is in the landlord business he should know the rules. I hope you will be done with him soon!
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

theprimalcajun is offline Senior Member
    Hi Coll...glad to hear the big D has stopped! I agree with Sabine, it's the pits! Just makes you feel so tired & drained. Oh! Pun not intended! lol. Hope it stays away!

Oh guess what!?? I got my first order last night! I was so excited! lol. I'm planning to do two craft shows in April....so need to get busy & make more stuff. I'm hoping to generate more traffic to the website.

I do know what you mean about the wind!! I have said many times that I don't remember the wind blowing like it has the last year or so. I hate it. Blows your hair...makes it hard to walk (even for my poor chickens!), dries your skin out! I live on a flat prairie with not many trees, so there is just nothing to stop it! I don't mind a gentle breeze...but what we usually get is ridiculous! It's always something with the weather isn't it??!! lol.

Have a super Sunday!!!
    Goal: Don't worry be happy!

My tummy is so much more settled than it has been in ages. I am realizing that those very important microbes in my gut really need those starches. I am going to make an effort to add in some of the more natural ones as well as the potato starch. We really like dolmas, which are loaded with RS, and have dug up a couple recipes to try. DH and DD both really like these and it is a good way to get some tasty natural RS into our systems. Pickled grape leaves and rice and spices and olive oil - that is a good combo. Only thing is they are kind of pricey.

Siobhan, you are so right. I was so surprised that I just let them in ... but I was just talking with honey and saying that if it ever happens again I am going to say, "no - come back in half an hour". Sometimes these things have to happen to get us thinking about what we should do. I am terrible with that stuff - I always err on the side of polite and gracious and end up getting run over. That has been the benefit of living with this landlord right here - I have had to learn how to say no and just leave it there, instead of trying make excuses or be the free babysitting service. Just trying to keep breathing and learning and keep my focus on good things. Only about a month and a half before we can start looking for our own place (I think)

Today we are taking the kids to the local firestation for a tour. This is a tiny town and DH did some work for a lady firefighter recently. She offered to show us around - pretty cool since being homeschooled means the kids don't always get the cool field trips. I know this will be neat for the kids as we had that really bad fire close by two summers ago and DD is still panicky whenever she sees smoke. Hopefully this will help her calm down a bit.
    Last edited by Coll; 02-23-2014 at 09:26 AM.

I saw the doc on Monday. I have stopped the Potato starch for now as well as the psyllium husk as he said both can be constipating. And sure enough things are moving again. I still want to take the PS but will wait until things are working more normally and then start really gradually again. And if I get to the diarrhea stage again for some reason I know that the PS will slow things down real fast! He agreed that I am very low in enzymes - he said that the fact that I was fine on my down days and then as soon as I started eating I got diarrhea was a sure sign of depleted enzymes. I am going to continue the 5 caps with each meal for 2 or 3 more weeks and then may cut it back just a bit. Still taking the prescript assist and am happy with that. I am glad things are settling down again as I am really needing to get back on the wagon of weight loss and healthy eating. I have been on a sugar run lately - and my weight has soared up to 220 lbs (and of course Aunt Flo is here too) That time of the month seems to be bad for sugar issues.

I am not enjoying the chilblains - between my toes and under my toes - incredibly itchy and somewhat painful too. This has been a long winter and I am looking forward to warm air and sunshine on my skin again. I have a gardening urge growing at an alarming rate Last frost date is about May 10th here ... I am also looking at chicken breeders and am planning which birds I want to get ordered as soon as we know we have a place lined up to buy. Spring fever is building!! I'm tired of frozen chicken waterers, layers of clothes every time you step out of the door ....

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    D@mn sugar! I had a sugar attack the other day. These days when I eat too much sugar I get a terrible headache. That's another problem with the blasted stuff, you can eat a lot of it fast. (Almost impossible to do that with steak.)

I really want some chickens!
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have a post sugar day headache this morning you'd think I'd have learned by now that the d@mn stuff is poison. Not good when you are addicted to the stuff! As always I do fine if no sugar passes my lips but the minute something sugary gets onto the tongue the rest is history. I really need to start over with the sugar especially and do a month sugar free. For me that means no chocolate (because I only really enjoy the milk chocolate!) and no ice cream. Otherwise I am doing fine without sugar ... I don't even miss it after the cravings stop. I just have to get to the point of no cravings again. And in fact, with Easter looming somewhere in the not too distant future I want to try and come up with ways to enjoy Easter without a single bite of chocolate this year. I mean really, the meaning of Easter is profound and is a very important holiday for us. How has it become this mess of feeding addictions and getting me in a major slump every year? Pretty sick really and the opposite of what Easter really stands for. So I am going to try and be creative this year and come up with other fun things to do and eat and ways to celebrate that don't include chocolate as the mainstay! I was thinking of painting a bunch of little stones for the kids so they each have a little collection of painted critters. They do seem to like them and enjoy playing with them .... and I think I should paint DH something special and have him do a treasure hunt for it. We love doing those and haven't done them forever. I can't believe we have been in Colorado almost 3 years! Easter day will be 3 years for us - what a wild ride it has been and it isn't over yet!

I want to start today with making small consistent changes in how I do everyday life. SO, starting today, I am going to do 5 squats before taking any snacks and while doing so see if I can bypass the snack altogether. I think that if I have just a few seconds to think about it I may come to my senses and remember that I am not actually hungry. And I am going to have something veggie with every meal - even if it is only a handful of baby carrots. Start small and keep on building on it ...

I was wondering if you guys could share some of your favourite veggie dishes with me. I am in such a rut with the veg and I am sure that this is part of not being excited about making them. What are the things you do to make sure you get enough veggies every day? Time saving tips etc.

I haven't painted for weeks and am feeling the lack, my poor table is sitting there all neglected and there are a bunch of stones half finished just begging for the next coat of paint.

Siobhan, chickens are the ultimate in entertainment and there are so many kinds that everyone could have some. I am just thrilled thinking about which ones we can get. They are really cheap to buy, economical to feed, and the best eye candy too. We used to have a big flock of over 70 birds and it is so awesome having your own eggs and meat from birds that live the happiest lives. I had no idea how much fun they are until we had our own flock and I HATE having to buy eggs from the store. OK, I know most of you probably could care less, but the breeds I am hoping to get are the Salmon Faverolles, Orpingtons (can't decide which colour yet torn between gold laced or lavender or jubilee!) and partridge Silkies. The chicks are the most fun part in a way and they grow SOOO fast. There is nothing cuter than a silkie hen with a bunch of chicks peeking out from her feathers ...