Page 109 of 150 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 1495

Thread: Primal journal : Coll page 109

Coll is offline Senior Member
    DD is having a bad day and that is no joke to be around. Sigh ... adolescence is looming large and we are definitely headed into the up's and down's of hormonal issues!

I am not good at keeping at them so their rooms stay clean and tidy. I grew up with a maid doing all that stuff for us and now I am trying to learn how to teach the kids when I am not good at it myself!! We'll sort everything out and then within days it is a complete zoo and is a huge job again! Should I just put their toys away in the storage unit that we have perforce rented and then gradually reintroduce them as they keep a small amount tidy? I think I'll see what DH thinks of that idea ...

Stew for breakfast. Going shopping later as DS doesn't have shoes that work for winter. Crocs and huaraches just don't work in sub freezing temps needless to say. I am in much the same boat except that finding shoes that are not painful to wear is just about impossible for me I really should finish making those mocassins that I started last year!!!!!! It is rather sad that I still have not completed a pair. I just never seem to have time (uninterrupted time) to work on something that needs a bunch of figuring out. I don't do well with stopping and starting on something challenging. I want to sit and do it without having to switch gears every few minutes.

DH is in a funk lately and I am trying very hard not to join him ... Waiting to hear what the doc says tomorrow. Hoping for hope ...
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 224.8 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Well, the doc said I should frame my thyroid results as they were perfect! So that is not the issue - whew! I am feeling so happy about this - I can go back to lower carb Happy dance. And I am no longer on thyroid meds ... no thyroid antibodies either, more happy dances.

We are thinking my progesterone may be out of whack ... lots of history that points that way now that he pointed it out. Miscarriages and then fertility issues in the last few years (about 8 actually) Apparently low progesterone can cause a lot of the same symptoms as hypo thyroidism. I'll get the cream next week and then we'll see how/if the situation changes or not. For some reason I am so happy and relieved to hear that I don't have thyroid issues. I don't really know what is going on but the sound of low progesterone just sounds so much less intimidating and less serious. I mean, I know that it is serious in a way, but I can eat the way I want again without having to scramble to find ways to add carbs I really don't want or miss ... It just feels as though the pressure is off in a way...

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Both the kids are fighting off a cold. But they have been really getting over it fast - very grateful! The first day is pretty intense with sore throats and then within 24 hours they perked right up and seem to be over the worst of it. Phew! I think the increased Vit D3 levels helped - plus I put Vicks Vapo rub on their necks and then wrapped their neck with a cotton scarf for the night. That really seemed to help ... next time someone is coming down with a sore throat I am not going to wait for the evening to do that. Going to just go ahead and put it on right away. DH's Irish cousins have put out a new CD that has been nominated for some music award - pretty fun to think we are related. (only by marriage for me of course )

I did not sleep well last night due to aforementioned colds. I am really tired and Aunt Flo has arrived in all her splendor. Today has not been a good day with my eating. I seemed to eat all day. Just grazing all day which is never satisfying and is always guilt producing because I know I ate way, way too much. I started out finishing off a little bit of icecream that was left over, then the caveman crunches that should have lasted for days, an artichoke in garlic butter, a left over bratwurst, chicken soup, an apple and cheese, two cups of tea with cream and honey, a handful of roasted salt and vinegar almonds and I think that is 'all'. I feel nasty this evening - I just need to go to bed. Hopefully the kids get off to sleep nice and quickly tonight so that I can have an early night.

My first day with no thyroid meds - I didn't notice any difference. DH is working late second day in a row - I find those days hard. We are so grateful for this work but it has some definite down sides. Like the always being on call, never having a day off without the phone interrupting or having to go and set radon tests. Always last minute things that have to be done that interfere with our family time. I know a lot of people are fine with doing that kind of life, but we have always eaten dinner together and time together is really important to us. So many times now bed time with the kids is my job, as he is catching up with the office work once he gets home. We always used to do that together and it was fun and special. I miss those days so much. I hope that one day we can be done with this season and back to the simpler life we used to have. Minus the debt and financial troubles of course I guess I just want to have my cake and eat it. The thing is, we just like to be together. Many folk are happy for their time apart and seem to enjoy it - not us. Not that we won't do things on our own - we just prefer to spend the majority of our time together with occasional times apart. That is why our dream is to have our own little homestead where we can grow our own food and do our various crafts and other creative projects as extra income earners. Hey we all get to dream ...

I am wanting to start prepping a whole bunch of different veggies ahead of time and storing them in the fridge. Then it is so much easier to put dishes together instead of doing it for every meal. I am hoping this will help with making better food choices when I am feeling so tired and just don't seem to have the energy to cut veggies for meals. I am hoping I will start to see more energy soon ... so very tired of being tired. So very tired of being obese. DS told me yesterday, "Mom, when you get slimmer I think you'll be a totally different person" I liked the 'when' - but felt sad at the same time. My kids have a mom that is always too tired to play and who is dragging herself through the day every day. I feel bad for them - I feel bad for me too. We're all missing out while I am like this. Sometimes I think I should just 'buck up' - but I don't seem to be able to sustain that for more than a day or two. I ate perfectly primal for ages and lost almost 50 lbs and then gained it all back while eating the same way I ate while I lost all that weight. I guess I have been in a long drawn out funk ...

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    That is certainly good news on the thyroid and hopefully the progesterone will sort things!

I had to laugh as your Vicks VapoRub story brought back memories. When I was a kid and coming down with a cold, it was on with the Vicks and into bed right away! I still like the smell, it reminds me of Gramma.

I'm with you on the veg - even though I am only feeding myself I have to chop up and wash the veggies as soon as I bring them home or they will sit and sit. It's too easy to say, "Oh, I'll have those tomorrow" and next thing you know they are slimy. Which reminds me that I have some brussels sprouts to par-boil...
    Last edited by Siobhan; 12-14-2013 at 07:03 PM.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

I had a better day today. Not much sleep lately with the kids having colds and also from being cooped up inside with nothing to do exercise wise. Praying that both the kids will sleep through the night tonight! I am tired and getting rather grumpy with the lack of sleep today! I felt better overall this evening. I also picked up the progesterone cream this evening and am excited to get started on that and see if it helps. So happy to announce that I have lost 4 pounds of water weight and am feeling much better now that the bloating has diminished.

Yesterday we took a drive up into the foothills and cut down a Christmas tree. It was fun though the wind was cold enough to get the ears aching. There were some pretty deep snow drifts that we all kept falling into which the kids loved and we all got a pretty good workout. Of course once the tree got home it seemed so much bigger and it seems that there is very little living room left The kids are thrilled and were so excited to do some decorating today. The wind kicked up last night and blew like crazy overnight and this morning. The temp went up from 43F during the day to 54F overnight. Weird after it being so cold. As a result we had a beautiful day today. Hopefully this is the recipe needed for a good nights sleep

I started taking a 1/4 tsp of coconut oil today - no adverse effects. I will take this much for a few days and then gradually increase it. I also started to try out the oil pulling today. It felt like a really long time, but at the end of it my mouth did feel good. I am hoping to see my teeth whiten a bit and maybe see an improvement in the sensitivity in my teeth. I made toothpaste for DS and DH today so they are set for the next while again. I have had to go back to using a toothpaste for sensitive teeth as the clay toothpaste was not doing the trick. Hopefully I can go back to the homemade toothpaste again if I do the oil pulling regularly. A fun fact - DH was told years ago that he was going to have a couple teeth pulled because of gum disease. (2008) The dentist tried hard to push him into it but we had changed our diet (only real food and low sugar as well as fermented foods etc) and decided to wait and see if it helped before having them pulled. Well here we are 6 1/2 years later and he has had no trouble from those teeth at all Pretty awesome. We have not been able to go to the dentist for many years now except for emergencies and yet we seem to be cavity free. I know that part of it is the raw milk and also the healthy diet. While we used to eat grains until almost 2 years ago, our food was otherwise very healthy and it seems to have paid off. Of course I have a mouthful of mercury fillings and a number of them are going to need replacing in the not too distant future - I know I have a lot of dental work ahead of me all as a result of my early dietary habits. I used to eat SO much junk food when I was younger - amazing that I was not sicker at the time! I had no idea that it was messing with my teeth though - no one ever told me that those foods were damaging my teeth. I like to think I would have made some changes to my diet had I known, but one never really knows. Hindsight and all ...

I have had a few days of no thyroid meds and no negative effects which is encouraging. In fact this evening I am feeling more clear headed than I have for a long time, I don't know if it is related or something totally different. I do know, however, that I am grateful to be feeling that way. Siobhan, I still have not attacked my veggies - tomorrow is the day. Today I spent cleaning the kitchen (amongst other things) so that tomorrow I have a decent work space for doing the food processor run. Hopefully I will soon be able to report how much veg is making it down my throat due to advance planning

It has been so busy lately - but I feel as though things are settling down now. Just need to pick up the lamb for Christmas dinner and a few veggies and we will be all set. Presents are all bought and a number are wrapped and under the tree. I have been on the progesterone cream for 5 days now and when I woke up this morning I felt pretty hot under the duvet so decided to take my temperature. It was 98F! First time I have had that high of a temp without being sick or pregnant. It is always about 96F or sometimes up to 97.5F I am going to chart my waking temp for the next few days and see if this is a once off or if things are truly changing. Yesterday was a very busy day getting ready for a party for the kids, but to my surprise I was not completely exhausted by the evening. I slept well though it was a pretty late night. My weight is not changing but I have been having a lot more veggies, less protein, and about the same fat. I think I may have been overdoing the protein after some reading I've been doing. I have a lot of chopped up veggies in the fridge which I am enjoying, so that has been helpful.

The kids are really fractious at the moment. Just getting on each others nerves all the time - my guess is they have a bit of cabin fever. I think we are all needing some outside time at the moment.

Yesterday I made strawberry cupcakes for the party. Man, they are delicious!! I really like the recipes I find on Elanaspantry.com So yummy! Even the non primal folks were chowing down We all had too many carbs yesterday though. We had primal pizza, wine, cupcakes, icecream and canned peaches ( yikes!) and I think that may be why everyone is a bit touchy today. We'll have to balance things out more next year ... My tummy is a bit grumpy today, and I assume it was the overload on carbs.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    I had to change back to regular toothpaste also, although I still use my homemade stuff sometimes. I had to do it because my sink was clogging every other day. Literally. I couldn't deal with it. I tried different things - flushing with cold water, flushing with hot water, putting degreaser stuff down it (expensive and yucky). Just clog clog clog. I suppose I should try oil pulling, though.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

I think it probably is wise to just spit the oil (whether it is the toothpaste or from oil pulling) into the trash can, so that the drains don't clog. I think I am going to do that from now on, as I don't want to have to deal with nasty drains!!!

I am feeling different. Much better the last couple of days. Hopefully this lasts! My temp today was 97.6F - again way higher than usual. This looks promising. I am not feeling so deadly tired at the moment, so nice to have a break from that. It is so hard to function when you are feeling as though you are dragging ten tons with you every step you take! I slept 8 hours and woke up after dreaming that a doc was insisting that they needed to do a colonoscopy on me, and I was working up the courage to walk out as there were no indications for it Nice dream huh!? Enough to wake anyone up...

Merry Christmas my dear MDA friends. I trust that you will all be safe and have a wonderful celebration with your families and loved ones. I have a few final gifts to wrap and then I am done. House is reasonably tidy, DH has the day off tomorrow so we can all just hang together with no time constraints - lovely! I am feeling better and better every day. Not sure if it is just that time of the month when one feels all motivated and energetic - don't think so as I have not felt like this for a looooonnnnnggg time. I think the progesterone cream is helping - THANK GOD! I am feeling less depressed, more energetic, more focused, less cloudy and scatty and bloated, and a whole bunch more chirpy thanks very much. I am actually feeling hungry sometimes even though I am not eating any different. I can hardly believe how big of a difference I am feeling at the moment. Hopefully it keeps going ... the power of hormones!!!!! I have changed nothing except the hormones .... hold thumbs with me that this works out please. I may not be on much for a few days.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Merry Christmas, Coll. Have a wonderful holiday.