Page 105 of 150 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1493

Thread: Primal journal : Coll page 105

Coll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I think you are right on target doing some preventative things for your thyroid. Honestly it doesn't take much to help if you are not in the midst of the hassles yet. Not so much fun trying to get a grumpy thyroid working again - I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I would truly be very concerned about the amount of radiation you are getting! That is not good by any stretch of the imagination ... Go for it with the iodine consumption We have lots of deer here too and after the last few years of chaos there are sure to be a number that don't make it what with the fires and then the flood - so much devastation. Probably why I am now seeing white tails instead of just the mule deer. DH can buy skins for $3.00 at a local place. Unfortunately most folk have no idea how to skin an animal properly so he really has to dig to find hides that are not cut to shreds. Cheaper to just buy skins - no cost of license or hunting trip (no meat either which isn't so cool) or gun or ammo. I wish we could find someone who would take DH hunting and teach him the ropes. I know he would just LOVE to go but we don't have the money to do a guided thing. He has family that go hunting every year, but the interpersonal dynamics would not be great. RANT warning: It annoys him when people act like their wives are the proverbial ball and chain and expect him to join in. We really like and respect each other and don't believe in talking behind each others backs with others about each other. It never ceases to amaze me how negative people can be about their spouses - and I know that not everyone has a great marriage, but why parade your dirty laundry in public? Just my two cents ... I guess the thing that gets me (and DH) the most is the assumption that we must have the same issues as the other folks and you are expected to join in and whine about your other half. It makes it very uncomfortable when you really don't have anything you want to contribute and are truly grateful for the partner you have. I know that I don't deserve such a wonderful man, my life would have been soooo different if I had married any one of the other guys that almost made it the altar with me. I know that I would be divorced and probably a single mom with at least a few of those guys. I guess I might happily whine away with all the others if I had a different hubby - but I hope not. And I am not talking about the times when you share your struggles in confidence with a close friend - that is different. I am talking about the anti man or anti woman jokes and snide little comments that seem to permeate conversation at so many gatherings. RANT done.

Ok, now that I have that off my chest. The kids and I are going to try making some chocolate molds this afternoon. The syringe arrived and we'll see if that works for filling the tiny molds. I have had someone asking about shipping costs to Australia - just a thrill to think that someone across the world is interested enough in my little stones to ask. So off to the post office to check on international shipping costs. I have folk from all over the world looking at my shop and I think it would be worth finding out if that is viable.
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 224.8 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

My first possible custom order for my shop Pretty exciting. She wants a tic tac toe set - great idea for the future...

I have been feeling somewhat down the last while. No motivation for anything, but eating chocolate. The downside to cooking all these yummy meals is that there is a load of cleanup afterwards ... not my idea of fun! But I do enjoy the eating side of it. Made a yummy stew last night out of ground beef and breakfast sausage - it was supposed to be roast chicken, but when I opened the packaging on the chicken it smelled off so into the garbage can with it and I had to scramble to figure out what else to do. Stew with loads of veg and then roasted potato, sweet potato, zucchini, parsnips, and cauliflower. We had leftovers from all that, for breakfast today. And I still haven't washed the pans. But I did take the kids on their scooters, and me on my bike, for a little jaunt down the bike path. DS is still figuring out the scooter and hasn't wanted to take it for ages, but he braved it today and did fine. His little legs were pooped out by the time we got back though. It saved my heel from some of the irritation of walking so I thought that was nice. I may just try taking my bike out once in a while on my own. Not much exercise when going with the kids, as they stop and start the whole way and we can't go far, but it is some movement, and I'm happy about that. Now I am going to sit down and do some more painting.
    Last edited by Coll; 11-03-2013 at 12:54 PM.

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Coll, did you get my PM last week? Just checking.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    I know what you mean, I have always hated that stereotypical BS stuff about spouses. I used to be married to a man who was, believe me, all man, but he liked shopping, had excellent taste, and always dressed well himself. He picked out my clothes and helped me put outfits together. I rarely told anyone this because they either thought he was gay and I was in denial or that I was making it up. I am so turned off by people who bitch about their spouses in that banal way.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Yup, my hubby is a very sensitive and caring person who loves to talk with me and is truly my 'other half'. I am so grateful to have him in my life. I am very blessed and will not tolerate people trying to talk down about him. He isn't perfect but he is a treasure to me and so many people miss the wonderful person by looking at things that are totally unimportant!

I see I typed a whole post yesterday and forgot to save it, so I will try to remember what I wrote. Basically I have been in such a funk for ages and have been very negative. We've been having more than our usual amount of trouble with our landlord and the living situation - but I am tired of being so sour and bitter and unforgiving. I think that all my resentment and frustration with our circumstances has been redirected towards them. Not that I have said anything to them or been less than polite etc - but I know my heart has not been right. I can't change how they act toward us - but I can definitely work on my attitude. I do find that when I am feeling depressed and grumpy the creative juices don't flow at all ... interesting. So yesterday I resolved to try and be more grateful and positive and really work on letting go of all the injustices and ugly things that are done or said and go back to who I really am. I pulled out my guitar this morning for the first time in many, many years and spent about an hour trying to play some old choruses and songs that I had handwritten into a book soooooo long ago. What fun! Dh has hardly ever heard me play the guitar and he was pumped to hear me playing and singing. I am really not very good at all, but I was surprised how well I was able to play after so many years of not touching the guitar. I am realizing how much I shut down when my folks lived with us in our little 1400 sq ft house in the Carolinas. I stopped singing and playing any instruments ... how goofy is that!!? But it feels as though I am coming back to life after being in survival mode for so long.

DH is getting a big workout with the buckskin process he is immersed in! He has 4 hides drying and waiting for the braining and softening process and two elk hides sitting in the lime solution now! Good thing that those have to soak for a few more days as his arms need a break! So thankful as he has a full week work wise ahead and that is unusual for this time of the year.

We have to figure out a way to move both of our coops into our backyard as the landlord has decided he wants to use that area. We have a few days to figure it out and do it ... last time we moved them it was a complete zoo! I am just not quite strong enough and tempers were frayed and one of the coops landed up breaking the strap that secured it and flipped onto its roof and the kids wisely departed for the indoors and a movie while DH and I tried to fix the whole mess! Lol, I REALLY don't want a repeat of that! DH is making some little 'skateboards' that will be bolted onto the skids and then we are going to try and roll the coops one at a time on some OSB boards. We have to try and get it dog proof too, as our pooch thinks that birds are for eating and is very focused on making that happen. The positive side is the chickens are going to be closer for chores during the winter and the new enclosure is going to be better for dealing with snow and the howling wind we get in this season. Also there was a tree hanging over the coops that looks like it wants to fall on them. This way there won't be the risk of a tree crushing our kids pets!

I am doing better with getting my carbs up - but my weight is creeping up again. Horrid feeling.

Limping along here - my Achilles is very grump after a day on my feet yesterday. I am going to spend a good bit of time painting today with many little breaks along the way. The painting is sitting which I know is not a great position - but I have to get up pretty regularly to walk over to the sink to change out the water for cleaning the brushes. I am planning on going for a short walk today with the family. We moved both the chicken coops and they are set up in the backyard now and it seems to be dog proof. Now we just need to make a 'privacy fence' for the birds so the dog can't see them and terrify them We found someone who was giving away cedar privacy fence panels yesterday so we'll cut them down and line the perimeter for the bird area with those. Out of sight out of mind definitely applies to that situation. The wind kicked up yesterday afternoon and I am so glad to have the birds moved and safe in the backyard. The tree that was shading them is also half dead and about to come down and the wind might just do the job for the landlord - now I don't have to worry about crushed coops and birds!

I am settling into eating more carbs without worrying about how many. I went through a nasty patch of craving sugar and eating it - I know that is definitely harmful and NOT the carbs I should be getting. Hopefully I am through that stage - I am super overweight again and trying to keep my hope that this is just part of my journey to regaining my health and eventually a slim and fit body. I am researching the Autoimmune Protocol and am planning on doing the autoimmune 'diet' by cutting out all the possible triggers like eggs, dairy, nuts, nightshades, and certain veg and fruit etc. It is a bit overwhelming trying to get my head around it all - but I'll get there and DH said he will do it with me, nice!

I am seeing the naturopath on Wednesday at last and we'll see if we can zero in on what exactly is going on. He is very pleasant and I am hoping he will be ok with doing more tests to see where the hold up is in the thyroid realm. I suspect I may have Hashimoto's and if so would like to know for sure as it changes a lot of things. The fact that I have other issues that are autoimmune related adds to my predisposition to have it. It is time to take my fight for health to another level. It has been encouraging to see the different people who have suffered from autoimmune issues and have seen that straight paleo/primal did not do all that was needed. One of those occasions that makes me wish I could go back in time and redo my eating and lifestyle habits that brought this all on ... hindsight and all that. But I have to make the most of where I am and go on from there.

The kids and I are going to start doing project feeder watch tomorrow. It should be fun and they are looking forward to being part of scientific data collection.

We sold our camper yesterday - we have too many vehicles here for our lease agreement. Glad to see it go to a young family who are really excited to get it. Now just to sell our truck and then we are down to 2 vehicles ... it is hard to be without a truck, but we just have to do it.

I have a new phone, Samsung Galaxy S3 and I have been figuring out how the whole thing works and have now added the app for myfitnesspal. I am thinking this will be very useful for keeping track of my macros as I go through the day, instead of trying to figure it out just in one spell on the computer every day. DD and I are making some cards from the drawings she has done. They look really nice I must say - at least I think so

DH bought me a heated birdbath for our birds and they seem to be enjoying it. He has 'owed' me a birdbath for years that I haven't taken him up on with all the moving we have done the last few years. This just adds to the attractiveness of our 'bird' area and can apparently bring in birds that wouldn't necessarily visit a feeder. So far it has kept it ice free with our below freezing nighttime temps and it has a thermostat that turns it off when there is no ice. I am delighted. Today is our first day doing the feeder watch and it has been a lot of fun watching all our feathered friends coming in for snacks and a drink.

Dh is home this afternoon so I am going to head off to town to do some solo shopping - always nice. I am thrilled as I found some foot cream yesterday that really seems to work well - we'll see if it makes any significant difference to my incredibly dry and cracked and peeling feet over the next couple of weeks. I have high hopes though, as last night was the first time I used it and I felt an immediate difference. I have been using coconut oil at night and putting socks on but it just has not made a whole lot of difference. A little more than regular lotions, but not much.

Tired as always... I did however sleep for 11.5 hours last night! Trying to get to bed in good time and doing much better nowadays. I have been painting most of the morning. We were feeling very cramped in our little house with all the goodies from the camper crammed into all kinds of corners. DH just took a load to the storage unit that we had to rent for my folks stuff and that has given us more breathing room inside here. Hopefully we can get another camper once we are moved into our own place but for now that is taking a back seat. We usually get our Christmas tree the day after Thanksgiving as both of the kids have birthdays in December and things get a little crazy as the month goes on.

Talk about jumping through the local bureaucracy's hoops! We want to take a load of stuff to the dump and it is incredible how much it costs and all the little details they want taken care of or you get charged even more. Once we have taken a load we will be putting our truck up for sale - really hoping it goes quickly or we will be paying extra rent for having it here. It is going to be weird not having a truck but it will be nice to have less maintenance and all the associated expenses. It was supposed to get up to 60F today but no ways are we going to get anywhere near that. I was hoping to spray seal all the rocks I have painted but it is going to have to wait some more. I guess I will just keep adding more rocks to the almost ready collection so that when we can spray them we can get a bunch done in one shot.

I am pretty thrilled with how they have been turning out - going to spend the afternoon getting some more completed. I am having a lot of fun if nothing else. Hoping that as Christmas season rolls around that people will be more interested in buying some of my rocks ... if not I will pull them offline and sell them at the craft fair (I hope)

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Visit to doc went well. He was totally in agreement with my doing the Auto Immune Protocol for figuring out food sensitivities and their impact on AI issues. He was surprised that I had seen no change with a double dose of thyroid hormone. He (and I) decided to do a full thyroid blood screen - at least we have the money to do so at the moment. So possibly tomorrow I'll head off to the lab to get the bloods drawn. My thyroid is enlarged, though not tender at all. I have gained 12 lb since I saw him last a few weeks ago Believe me, it is hard to keep my hope up, when my fat pants that I kept just so I could show off how much weight I had lost, are now tight around my waist. Thank heavens I did keep them though! My carbs are only just about 100 g or so every day and I do feel that that is a reasonable level for me. I am eating a lot more veggies than I was which I know is good. I am sleeping SO much better than I was on the low carb. Most nights at least 8 hours and some nights quite a bit more. I am just waiting to feel refreshed at some point.

I sold my first custom order on Etsy today - that was fun. And my daughter unbeknownst to me handed one of my business cards to my landlord's daughter who was oohing and aahing over some rocks I have painted. She told her if she wanted a particular one to get her mom or dad to look at my shop online and order one I didn't even know she had given a card out until I got a call from the landlord today asking if I'd make some party favors for his youngest birthday party!! LOL, I'll have to give her a commission So cute. I charged him a bit more as it is going to be a bit of a time crunch to get it done by Saturday afternoon ...

A couple pics of the tic tac toe set I sold today - the lady wanted them to fit her color scheme in her cabin (not her primary residence by the sounds of it) and she has a base for them already.

DSCN7864.jpg

DSCN7867.jpg