Page 102 of 150 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1495

Thread: Primal journal : Coll page 102

Coll is offline Senior Member
    That sounds like fun Siobhan You could make enough over the summer tourist months to keep you going, while you do a low key online business in the off season ... All those artists/ crafters would probably jump at the chance to have someone do that side for them Are you sure that isn't going to work for you? There are a lot of those kinds of stores around here - we have talked about maybe trying to sell some bits in one or two of those. Of course now so many of them were washed away in the floods - I shudder to think how those folk are going to make it!
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 224.8 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

We went for a delightful drive up in the mountains on Wednesday to see the fall colours. So very pretty and we had a wonderful time wandering around a wildlife area. Took a bunch of lovely pictures and DH took one of me and the kids that actually looks ok to me. I am not into having my picture taken needless to say.
    DSCN7371.jpg
    DSCN7373.jpg
    DSCN7435.jpg

I have been doing some reading up about hypothyroidism. Some interesting reading out there. I have been thinking about my experience on Primal VLC. I started out feeling great and lost 48 pounds. Then all of a sudden I started gaining weight back for no obvious reason and am 'stuck' at about 204 - 208 lbs and feeling awful. I think the VLC pushed the hypothyroidism into a worse state. I am realizing that the VLC was making me feel awful and am feeling much improved since increasing my carb intake. I am sleeping much better now. I have also started using earplugs at night and it is helping so much with waking up for the tiniest sound. Now that DS is a little older I don't feel that I need to have one ear tuned at night. He is old enough to come through to our room if he needs me. I have an appointment to see the ND on Monday afternoon again and am hoping to get more help with my situation.

I have been thoroughly enjoying going to the private training sessions - very good. Only thing is I just don't have a space to do the majority of the exercises. Our house is just too tiny and our yard is so spiky with weeds. The other problem is that I have no energy to get going. I have my last session next week and then we can't really afford for me to keep going Maybe I can figure out a way to get a few sessions from time to time. I have ordered a canvas tarp so that I can lay it out in the backyard and workout there when the weather is ok. The exercises are really fun and I can feel that they are helping me in some areas. I did find that I was a bit off with one of the exercises the other day and my back felt a touch strained. Must be careful to keep everything lined up as he has taught me.

Potroast and veg and sweet potato fries for dinner.

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    So glad you are back! I know that VLC is like magic for some people, but obviously not all. How low did you get your carbs? I found I couldn't sleep if I went below 75g a day - I was wired like I had drunk a pot of coffee. And that's not even VLC!

Wonderful pics! Those aspens! I remember seeing them from the air when I used to fly a lot - they look spectacular from above also.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

I was generally keeping my carbs below 50g per day. Obviously on the occasional 'bad' day I would get up closer to 75 or 100g. But not often at all. I am sleeping SO much better now that my carbs are up - I have no idea what my macros are right now. I am too tired to bother trying to figure it out. Trying to adjust to what to eat for more carbs without going the fruit route. I usually have one piece of fruit at lunch time. Trying to add a bit of potato to the stews I make - not sure how much that adds up to though. Adding butternut squash to some of the stews. Eating carrots with dip. Occasional sweet potato fries. A few raisins with my nuts, occasional Caveman crunch bar. I am not even sure what carb count I should be aiming for and need to do some reading up what would be considered helpful and healthy (not interested in CW on that count however!)

My canvas tarp arrived today - it is VERY strong smelling and so has spent the day outside. It is going to have to live in the shed or stable as the smell is overpowering. It says only for outdoor use - I believe it. Hopefully it is not too toxic. But I tried it out on the 'lawn' in the backyard and the spiky weeds are not poking through so it is going to be helpful in creating a workout space.

Those aspens are just gorgeous - and the generally muted colours everywhere around them, really make the aspen colours pop. Going to try making primal pizza tomorrow - I have never made pizza of any kind so this is a first for me. Going to be a surprise for the family. Hopefully it turns out ok - not sure how to prep the breakfast sausage before putting it on the pizza. Should I bake it, fry it, broil it?

I saw the naturopathic doc today and he has upped my thyroid meds. Also going to continue with increased carbs and see how I do on that. I am also going to cut back on the heavier workouts as I am not managing more than one maybe two a week and am then completely exhausted for days afterwards. He was encouraging me to start out slow and build up gradually and see what I need carb- wise, to function well. I am trying to walk the fine line between CW and Low carb to find the sweet spot for my health. Right now I desperately need energy and once I have that back I can fine tune other areas. I am going to get hold of the guy who was doing the private training and ask him to just hold until I am ready to start again.

The landlord's chickens are making a nuisance of themselves. Not that I don't like them, I just don't like them hanging out on my front steps and pooping everywhere, I can barely find a clean spot to walk on. DH had to take a shovel to the front steps and walkway!!! They are also flying into my veggie garden and availing themselves of my veg among other things. I just hate that I have to now confront the landlord and tell him to make a plan with his chickens. I mean, if he can't look after his birds properly why should I have to deal with them? They are afraid of their coop which is left open all day, because a wild cat stalks them there and we have chased dogs out of there too. They keep on flying into our backyard and I am afraid our dog is going to kill or injure some of them. I don't want her getting a taste for chickens and I really don't want any of us (read kids especially!!!) to be confronted with a savaged bird that has to be dealt with in a final way.

The landlord's kids have not been over for months (three cheers!) but were over for a couple of hours yesterday. As always the older child is sweet and the kids have fun with her. Unfortunately the young brat then followed her over and things went downhill from there. Eventually we told them they had to go home because it was getting dark and we were about to eat dinner. Next thing I hear the young one wailing in a full blown panic because she couldn't find either of her parents.... had to drop everything and try to help (she is terrified of me - I guess boundaries are scary when you never meet any?) Tried to call the mom - my number for her is no longer correct. Ended up calling the father who was off cycling somewhere .... eventually tracked the mother down in their house. It is sometimes like torture living here! And then the brat is carrying on about how horrid my DD is to her mother. I am tempted to tell them their youngest is no longer welcome to come over and their oldest is welcome any time! A very awkward thing to have to deal with, especially when I am home all day....

OK, done whining for now. Taking deep breaths and trying to be patient about waiting for spring when, hopefully, we will be able to try to buy our own place.

Last night I made my first ever pizza and the family RAVED about it! It was yummy and no tummy problems for anyone afterwards! I used the tapioca bread recipe that Siobhan put me onto. We did the cheesy version and I think it was actually nicer than a regular pizza dough. The kids are requesting pizza for their birthdays coming up in a couple months time. I am going to make up a whole bunch of dough and freeze it in sections so that I can pull a bit out and make fresh rolls or pizza whenever. I need to try the sweet potato version sometime too. Wondering if it might be a bit sweet ... not sure if that sounds good or not. Maybe I could add some cinnamon and such ...

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Glad the pizza was a hit! I thought it would be. I made a little pizza a couple of weeks ago and I thought it was wonderful. I haven't eaten 'real' pizza for over 1 1/2 years, but I thought it was as good as any pizza I have ever had.

The sweet potato version is indeed on the sweet side - it doesn't have that much SP in it, but enough. Makes a lovely color. You could easily sweeten it up. I have made a pancake with it, put bananas and honey on it, and I have no complaints at all! (Once a carb-a-holic, always a carb-a-holic.)

I am quite obviously not a nutritionist or dietitian, but I think you should try carbs in the 100 - 120g range.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

I was just counting up some carbs and I think that 100g to 150g is what I am going to aim for. I just had some sweet potato fries with grass fed hotdogs, veggies and dip and my body is very happy. DH and I are going to finish the second half of the movie we started last night. Hoping for another early night esp as the kids got me up several times last night!

Couldn't get my carbs up over 100g today. It is going to take a while to get used to this. I started on a double dose of thyroid meds this morning.... we'll see how that goes. I am really hoping I will start to feel better soon. Major learning curve at the moment with trying to get set up on Etsy ... every step seems huge at times. But I actually have everything together now and am ready IF anyone ever decides to buy something from a newbie. I need to get more stuff photographed so I can put it on but it is not as easy as I thought. The rocks have a high gloss finish and that means major reflections of light every angle I try. I am getting better but it is a long process and of course life continues and meals still need to be cooked and chores done and school etc...

We are going camping this weekend in our little camper to celebrate our 13 anniversary. We don't have anyone to look after the kids so we just celebrate together (they love it too - such sentimental little souls!) DS and I needed new sleeping bags and they just arrived in the mail this morning. So nice And a tiny little ceramic heater that we will plug in in the camper. This time of the year is not the time to go without electricity - so we are doing the nice camping at a KOA. Going to be chilly at night and hopefully the days are not too cold. We'll take a bunch of games and books in case the weather is bad. It is always nice to just have time to hang out together with no agenda. I need to cook up some stew and soup to take so that I am not trying cook a decent meal in a howling gale risking frostbite - this is windy season now. Hoping the landlord will look in on our chickens while we are away. I have spent the day running outside shooing the landlord's chickens off our patch. It seems as though they are on a long bungee cord that just draws them back in a few minutes! But by this afternoon things had settled a little and they only came back a couple times that I noticed. Poor things are so confused, I feel bad for them.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coll View Post
    Major learning curve at the moment with trying to get set up on Etsy ... every step seems huge at times. ...
    I feel the same way. It's not that I CAN'T learn all these steps, it is just that I haven't, yet. Practice, practice, practice, that's what I keep telling myself.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    LOL Sabine, that is exactly right. It is so time consuming figuring everything out, but I know that once it is up and running, and I have done everything more than once or twice, it will not seem so overwhelming. It is a good thing I don't have people rushing to buy my stuff as that would indeed be overwhelming

I had a pretty decent day today. Feeling just a tiny bit more energetic - made a 5x batch of the tapioca bread dough and a couple pizzas for dinner. Now I have a whole bunch of dough in the freezer for when I want to do some rolls or pizza or crackers.
    Tomorrow is the day of packing up the camper and getting food ready to take with us. Hoping to get to bed reasonably early this evening - I thought I was not going to sleep well last night as my heart was pounding at bedtime (do you think it may have been the result of a whole pint of ginger ice cream Imbibed after dinner!?!) But I actually slept reasonably well to my surprise.