Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (denasqu) page 5

denasqu is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    3/12/2012 9:50 AM
    Slept better but not long. I was feeling really confused and tired yesterday. Several times I would just completely forget what I was doing.

This morning I had 3 strips of bacon, one fried egg, and 3 cups of black coffee. Last night I had a couple snacks. About half a glass of leftover frozen strawberry-banana-honey smoothie and then later some ham and mustard.

I feel better this morning but still pretty groggy. Can't seem to get myself organized and definitely feel "off my game". I'm sore, my hands, feet, and cheeks are swollen from allergies but I don't have any itching so not Benadryl worthy.

Yesterday's constipation led to this mornings bowel movements. First was a difficult #4. After a couple cups of coffee there were a couple of stinky #6's. Interpreting poo is like interpreting dreams. Clearly something is wrong but I don't know what. I'm sore but it's muscle sore in my legs and arms. Perhaps it's just the adjustment... maybe the late night eating... some job stress.... new exercises... fruit consumption... or a combination of things. I suppose I need to double-down on what I know works.
    "If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?" - Tom Snyder, talk show host

3/12/2012 5:50 PM
    WTF? Fatigue is gone again and I feel pretty good. It was a busy stressful day of work and my energy level just kept improving all day. About 2:00pm I was starting to get pretty irritable so I came home and had a small bowl of gizzard stew. A few minutes ago I was feeling hungry again so I polished off a big handful of pork rinds, my last slice of braunschweiger, and a slice of cheddar cheese. Now it's 6:00 pm and I feel perfectly fine. I looked back over the last few days and can't see anything I ate or did that would explain yesterday's overwhelming fatigue.

So my theory is that I am burning fat and my fat cells are dumping all kinds of stored up crap into my bloodstream. If so, this may go on for a while because I've got a lot of fat to burn.

I've read up on persistent organic pollutants (POP) that are stored in fat cells and released into the blood stream when we lose a lot of weight via fat burning. So the science is there. And when we exercise we burn more fat... so my burst of exercise the other day released a bunch of junk from my fat cells into my blood stream, which knocked me on my ass and screwed up my digestion. I'm going to try and gradually increase the exercise instead of suddenly going for a 3 mile walk right out of the gate. Somebody said on the forum that our body needs to heal itself first and that makes sense to me. The joy is in the journey.

I'm going to fry up my Kurobuta pork chops, have some broccoli and asparagus, then take a shower and try and start my getting ready for sleep routine... that I just started.
    "If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?" - Tom Snyder, talk show host

3/13/2012 7:58 AM

My sleep routine is going to be difficult. I read some fiction last night then fell asleep but woke up about 30 minutes later and got on the computer for something. My mind won last night and I woke up 30 times during the night and slept for an hour 3 times. it wasn't the worst but it wasn't a good nights sleep. But the big hurdle was that I took no naps at all yesterday. I was getting very tired around 6:30 pm but then I ate a pork chop and veggies and was good to go for the evening. The time change is really screwing me up this year which is a first. But then this is the first time I remember that I'm living by day and sleeping by night. I've always lived by the alarm clock and basically just got as much sleep as I could and fueled myself with coffee. Other than the disappearance of daily hives, the near elimination of coffee as my fuel is probably the most amazing transformation. I drink 3 cups of coffee in the morning and I'm done for the day. For the rest of the day I'm quite satisfied to drink water or iced tea.

For breakfast: 3 strips bacon, two fried eggs, mushrooms, onions, red pepper, garlic, and swiss chard.

I've got a big day today with two important meetings, one this morning and one in early afternoon so I'm going to throw together a BAS with chicken and take it in a cooler.

I'm feeling back to "normal".. I mean primal normal. The fatigue on Sunday really knocked me for a loop.

... and it sucks!

I went rogue for a few days but I did pretty good. Took the family to horse show in Ocala and didn't really have a chance to plan a primal weekend but it wasn't as challenging as I expected. It was actually pretty easy to stay primal while eating my meals in restaurants and hotels. The only real cheats I had were potatoes. Baked potato at the Outback and hashbrown casserole at the Cracker Barrel. I'm sure the scrambled eggs and sausage at the Comfort Suites weren't the best but they were the best choice among the cinnamon rolls, bagels, etc. I wasn't even tempted. I did have half a biscuit at Cracker Barrel with my ribeye but it was more out of curiosity than any real craving. Just wanted to see what I was missing. Not missing much. I love(d) biscuits! But it really just tasted like bland mush... not like I remember. It's really bizarre that my tastes could change so much in just a few short weeks.

My only big downfall was after the 5 hour drive home I found myself tired and hungry and I really didn't feel like cooking anything. Before I knew it I had three Taco Bell burritos. The first one was really yummy. The second not quite so good. The third was downright gross and I didn't finish it. Plugged it into FitBit and the three came up to 1300 calories and 156 grams of carbs. For the day I consumed 3057 calories and 237 grams of carbs! I weighed in the next morning and had gained a couple pounds and had the shits all day. Lesson learned.

I fasted on Monday which wasn't hard because I had indigestion and the shits.

This morning I was right back on track and 110% committed. Making a crock pot of ham and cabbage stew right now and I was perfectly primal today. Bacon and eggs this AM, no lunch, and a salad with some home made roast chicken and some home made chicken soup. 1049 calories and 50.4 grams of carbs. And I'm quite satisfied. Had no trouble getting through the day, slept good last night, and I'm ready for bed now. Seems like the overwhelming fatigue I was experiencing several times a day is passing. It's like my body is finally figuring out where to find its energy.

I've been reading up on the insulin response and the importance of a caloric deficit to losing weight. It's a big accomplishment to gain the understanding that I can't just stuff my face with fat and watch the pounds disappear. Although I still have a hard time shaking off the CW about the calorie requirements of a guy my size. They simply just do not work for me. Every source I've seen says that I'll maintain my weight at around 3000 calories per day. I guess I'm just an exception because first of all I would have to gorge myself to eat that many calories and would feel stuffed unless I just filled up on nut butter or something... which I have no desire to do. I'm very happy to just eat reasonable portions of meat, seafood, eggs, and vegetables.

On the verge

Those Taco Bell burritos I ate last Sunday did more damage than I thought. Having been IBS symptom free for several weeks, I really noticed a difference this week. That one slip screwed me up for the whole week. I’ve been farting and constipated all week. Last night I suddenly broke out in hives all over my body and had to take a couple Benadryl (the first time in a month). But this morning I feel like I may have almost undone the damage. I’m groggy from the Benadryl “hangover” but I pooped out a nice #4. Finally! Thank God!

I've been 100% primal all week although I still haven't started any kind of exercise routine other than not being so lazy. I tend to get up and move around a lot more but that's about it and try to walk more and further when I can throughout the day. This weekend I'll work on incorporating simplefit into my day. I'm fairly certain that regular exercise will help with my digestion too.

It's been a month and I'm quite comfortable that I've developed a new habit of eating well. I get up and make breakfast without a thought. Whereas, pre-primal, breakfast was something that seemed like way too much trouble... lunch too. Because of that history, breakfast is key to me. If I don't eat breakfast, I generally don't eat for the rest of the day and just call it a "fast". I should emphasize that I do not schedule fasts. Rather I just take it a day at a time. It's dangerous ground for me to slip back into the habit of eating late at night and not during the day so one of my new rules is that if I don't eat during the day, then I don't eat at night, and I just wait until the next morning... when I'm plenty hungry. Works for me. It's kind of fun too to realize that I can chug along just fine even though I'm hungry. I guess I must be a "fat-burner" now because food doesn't really seem to make much difference in my energy levels anymore. I typically eat breakfast, lunch in the mid-afternoon, and dinner in the early evening. Occasionally I'll skip lunch or dinner and once or twice a week I won't eat anything. Again this isn't a "schedule" thing like "every Wednesday I fast". One-day-at-a-time. It's very liberating to have so much freedom. I've lost interest in my weight and gained interest in feeling good.

Another surprise benefit has developed in my work (besides not being tired and stressed all the time) in that my mood is so much more level. It's like I don't give a damn so I just don't get so emotionally involved with the daily crises at work. I deal with a lot of angry people in my job and at least three times this past week I dealt with someone that was furious about something and after a few minutes of "discussion" I would have them laughing and calling me "buddy" or telling me that I am "a good person". The first time it kind of threw me for a loop but by the third time I was thinking "damn... this is really cool". It's like a new super-tool in my arsenal of life-tools.

I no longer "need" several naps during the day and I'm generally asleep before midnight most every night. And I wake up without stress about the day. These are huge improvements over life-long problems with sleep. Even my fitbit has confirmed that I'm sleeping better. Initially FitBit was reporting that my sleep efficiency was about 75% on average and I would wake up 20-25 per night. Lately FitBit reports that my sleep efficiency is 90-95% and I wake up 6-12 times during a night.

Today I'm going to fry up a couple pounds of gizzards, make some chili, and try making my first caesar dressing.

I feel like I've climbed to the top of the primal hill out of the SAD swamps and I'm standing at the gates looking at a beautiful plateau that is the primal life. I can see Eden through the gates and when I look back down the hill... I see swamp.
    Last edited by denasqu; 03-25-2012 at 05:03 AM.

andyTHFC is offline Member
    I always enjoy reading your updates. Great job!!

Thanks Andy. The accountability seems to help a lot more than I would have expected.

No more nut butter and honey. I can't be trusted with it. Too often I'll just sit down in front of the TV and eat the stuff right out of the jar. I like to make a sandwich in my mouth.

Sunday morning weigh in = 329. Lost 6 more lbs this week and 21 since I started a month ago. I logged my measurements and they didn't change much. My waist actually increased but I'm sure that's because I'm bloated and constipated. Kinda' creepy that I'm carrying around that much poo. You have a Body Fat Percentage of 33.11%. Blood pressure = 138/97 average over last month and doesn't seem to be getting any better.

FitBit calculated my estimated BMR is: 2,385 calories/day. Hmmmm... my average daily calories over the last week = 1346. That did include a couple of days of fasting but I plan on making IF a part of my weekly routine so that's a good number. I think IF is a good fit for me because of the weight loss benefits and quite frankly I don't really want to eat some days. IF also seems more "primal". Seems like a safe assumption that Grok probably went hungry now and then.

I feel like I'm eating a lot of food and I'm actually making no attempt to limit calories.... none... zero... nada. The only time I've been hungry is toward the end of a 24 hour fast. I'm logging foods daily on FitBit because: (1) it's pretty easy and; (2) I want to keep myself honest about my macros; and (3) most importantly I'm interested in how different foods affect me. It's still unsettling to me that every bit of CW is adamant that I should not be cutting calories at the risk of serious health problems. But then again CW also has an upside-down food pyramid and I haven't had much trouble dismissing that. I suppose the reality of what actually constitutes a BMR for me vs. CW's ideal BMR is the measure of my metabolic suppression. Works for me. Okay. I'm over it.

Digestion has become an issue again and, other than the Taco Bell burritos on Sunday, the only thing I can see is that I've been a bit more lax about dairy this week. I haven't gone crazy with dairy but I have used a few tablespoons of cream in my coffee and had 5-6 ounces of cheddar cheese this week, but no milk since I started. That's it. All along I've been consuming a limited amount of butter, yogurt, creamy salad dressings, aged parmesan, and kefir and it didn't bother me for the first few weeks at all. So.... I think I'll lay off the cream and un-aged cheese for a week and see if my digestion improves. If it doesn't improve then maybe I'll cut out all dairy except butter. If it still doesn't improve I may have to kill myself!

Exercise should improve my digestion, blood pressure, and body composition. I was planning on putting this off until I was under 300 lbs but I reckon it's now time to get started. Counting "getting up out of a chair" as a squat just isn't cutting it. Simplefit here I come. As far as walking goes it seems like during a normal day I walk about 2 miles on average. I had set a goal of 5 miles a day but that didn't happen... came close one day and wound up cutting my foot and crippling myself for a week. I could shoot for doubling my daily average to 4 miles a day. I live one mile from the beach so ideally I would just walk to the beach and back. Two miles! Conveniently, that would meet my goal. I really hate math.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi denasqu,

I'm glad your sleep is getting better. I think it is the key to a lot. I have a gowearfit which gives me the same information.

Hey, was the horse show in Ocala the Lippizaner Stallions? My in laws live in Sarasota. We went to see them one year.

Anyway, keep up the good work. Cheers.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast