Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (denasqu) page 4

denasqu is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    BAS with a can of tuna and Cindy's Blue Cheese dressing

Stressful busy day but I'm taking it in stride. I kinda' hate my day job. Maybe when I get to feeling much better I'll do something about it.

I am wiped out but at least the day is done! Not getting a good nights sleep made me fell like the pre-primal days and its SUCKS!! And probably not having breakfast didn't help. Let the weekend begin.

That salad didn't cut it today. I went grocery shopping and picked up a bunch of organic veggies, a ham, and a whole chicken. Then I had to stop off at a neighbors house to feed their cats
    and although I didn't feel particularly hungry, they had some roasted cashews and chocolate turtles in the frig and before I knew it I was munching on a turtle and a few cashews. I got the hell outta' there boy I tell ya'. Went straight home and sliced off a hung of ham and heated up the rest of my fried gizzards in the toaster oven. I think I learned a lesson today... well a couple. #1 eat satisfying meals (the salad with tuna was not) and #2 have something to eat all the time (sort of an primal first aid kit. maybe jerky and nuts). Now that I've got the meat in my belly I'm quite satisfied. My next challenge is to not take a nap and stay up until at least 9 pm.

Farmers Market in the morning. Got to go see the seafood guy and get some scallops and grouper. It's been a long time.
    "If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?" - Tom Snyder, talk show host

3/9/2012 8:44 PM

Couldn't make it. I went to bed about 6:30 pm and just woke up. Ate two slices of braunschweiger and a slice of ham. It's going to be hard to stay out of that ham!
    Spoon of almond butter and honey. I have got to sleep tonight.

Summary Comments Daily energy levels 1-10: 2 (not enough sleep last night)

Hunger level between meals 1-10: 2 (no breakfast, salad for lunch, got hungry about 4pm)

Satisfaction level with meals 1-10: 4 (should have planned better. Because I was tired I just kind of bumbled through the day with food)

Struggles today with Primal efforts: staying awake.

Benefits noticed from Primal efforts: I didn't crave junk.. I craved a primal meal.. just didn't have time.

Daily highlight(s): Taking a break and looking out over the bay at Vanderbilt for a while.

Daily needs-to-improve: Exercise and sleep.
    "If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?" - Tom Snyder, talk show host

chilledc is offline Junior Member
    For primal snacks I always try to have hard boiled eggs sitting in my fridge. I can eat a heap in one go. It's probably the easiest and cheapest way to go.

For me, exercise and sleep tend to go hand in hand as well. The harder I exercise, the more sleep I need. Especially movements where you have to use the limbs seperately (i.e. lunges) - weird.

To help with your sleep, I'd suggest reading 20-30 mins of non-fiction with only a small bedside lamb on. I tried doing it with non-fiction, but that got my mind racing and I couldn't sleep for hours. Something about fiction seems to put me to sleep. And banning electronic equipment at least one hour before bed will probably help.

Thanks chilledc. I'm okay when I'm home but when I'm out working is when I'm in trouble. Last year I was much better at planning ahead and I guess I need to do that again. I'd always make a whole meal and throw it in a cooler and carry it around in the car all day. Sometimes I'll eat it all and sometimes I don't eat any of it. But I certainly can't eat it if I don't have it.

You motivated me to go ahead and start the exercise because I know you're right about the exercise=need for sleep. And here I am again at midnight and can't sleep. So I busted out level 1 of Simplefit. I didn't want to do it, but I did it.

Interesting idea about reading fiction. I never read fiction anymore and non-fiction gets my mind racing too. Shutting down the electronics is going to be REALLY difficult. I usually doze off with a laptop or tablet in my bed.

FitBit is telling me that I walk about 2 miles every day. This is my normal mileage without really trying. My baseline. I need to kick that up to 5 miles a day by the end of next week. Going to a horse show in Ocala next weekend with my niece and I've been told the grounds are huge. I expect I'll be walking 10 miles a day on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Too bad I'm too fat to just ride a horse. I also need to find some steps. South Florida is so damn flat! But there are plenty of steps at all the condos I manage. A goal of 10 flights of steps each day should be easy-peasy... at least to face... maybe not to do.

Finally started an exercise program. Simplfit. I could only do 10 rounds in 20 minutes and my knee was popping and I was huffing and puffing and dizzy. And I had to do girl push-ups and the body row because I certainly can't pull-up my 300+ pound ass. The good thing is there is LOTS of room for improvement. This weekend I'll setup my old Soloflex. At least that will give me a place to exercise and provide a pull-up bar. I'm glad I've finally started.

The walking should be a lot easier. I like walking and there are miles and miles of beach... just wish I could take my dog on the beach. Well if I go at night, who will know?

3/10/2012 8:18 AM

Had three strips of bacon and two fried eggs for breakfast. As a twist I splashed some tabasco on the eggs and it was like a whole new meal. I find that I really still don't want to eat breakfast in the morning but if I keep it simple, I'll do it ... and my day just doesn't go well if I skip breakfast. Without breakfast, I get tired later in the day, I get grouchy, and then I usually don't sleep well that night because my day has been a struggle and sometimes a train wreck. Guess I'll be eating a decent breakfast no matter what!

Props to chilledc for the fiction reading before bed! Seems to have helped a lot in the sleep area. I was having trouble again last night with falling asleep so I picked up where I left off a long time ago on an eBook entitled Black Caesar and read for about 20 minutes. Instead of wrestling to fall asleep with thoughts of all the projects I've got going rolling around in my head and torturing myself with mental ToDo lists, I fell asleep dreaming about South Florida pirates. FitBit reports that I got almost 7 hours of sleep and woke up fewer times than I have been. And I woke up feeling rested and ready to face the day. Arrrr... Here's yer dinner, ya mangy cockroach

3/10/2012 11:40 AM
    Grrrrooookkkk! Damn I feel like an unstoppable beast today. I went to PETCO to pickup a 30lb bag of Blue Buffalo dog food for my dog Rausha. After carefully selecting a parking space far from the store I walked right past the shopping carts to the rear of the store, picked up my bag and carried back to the car on my shoulder. The staff were all trying to assist but I just snarled at them and said "NO THANK YOU!" Then I hit a couple more stores and my little shopping spree added 1.74 miles to my FitBit log!

I've got a lot of work to do today but I'm taking some time out to pick up my house and setup my "exercise area" in a back room that has been storing all kinds of junk over the years... including my disassembled Soloflex and some kind of ab machine that I bought at a yard sale 5 or 6 years ago.

Based on my age and PB, my maximum heart rate is 172 and therefor the target zone for aerobic exercise is .... 95-129 bpm. Sheesh, my resting heart rate is 91 bpm!

3/10/2012 1:49 PM
    Had slice a braunschweiger, mustard, and a fried egg wrapped up in a couple leaves of bibb lettuce. It is so awesome to just throw this stuff together and discover that it is delicious.

3/10/2012 5:35 PM
    Took a nap this afternoon. I may have to accept this as one of my regular daily things. I sleep so soundly when I take a nap. FitBit logs 100% efficiency every time and it only takes a few minutes for me to doze off. I'm only getting tired late in the day and I never nap more than an hour... usually 25-30 minutes so I guess I won't stress about it anymore. This biphasic sleep info has helped to relax and not worry about it. I think I'm going to read up on siesta's.

Had the rest of my MDA beef stew, that I didn't freeze, and some broccoli and a bunch of asparagus covered in butter with grated parmesan on top. Paleotrack says I've only had 839 calories today. Crazy. How can consume so few calories and feel so satisfied? I am not making any effort at all to reduce calories. It just seems crazy.

3/10/2012 9:02 PM

Took a long walk with my dog down to the Gulf and around several blocks. She's more pooped out than I am but she'll get better. Didn't quite make my daily goal of 5 miles but came pretty close. 4.41 miles. At least I've got an idea of what it feels like now. That next few miles on top of my baseline seems like a lot. I was starting to wonder if my FitBit is busted.

Making a pot of MDA chicken soup with a whole chicken in the pressure cooker now. I'm going to use some of the chicken for salads and such in the next few days and freeze most of the soup in serving size bowls. I cut up the big ham I bought the other day and froze it in one pound slices. It's a good thing I didn't go the farmers market this morning for seafood because I went a little crazy with meat shopping on Friday.

I'm treating myself with a strawberry-banana-kefir smoothie!

Summary Comments Daily energy levels 1-10: 10 (took an afternoon nap for an hour)

Hunger level between meals 1-10: 1 (even with under 1000 calories?)

Satisfaction level with meals 1-10: 10 (even with under 1000 calories?)

Struggles today with Primal efforts: None. Easy peasy.

Benefits noticed from Primal efforts: "strong like bull"

Daily highlight(s): carrying a 30 pound bag of dog food a 1/4 mile to my car

Daily needs-to-improve: My sleep preparation routine. It's going to be hard to shut down the electronics before I go to bed. Real hard.

3/11/2012 7:45 AM

Woke up at 5:30 am. I didn't really want to get up because it seemed so early. But I was done sleeping. I'm not used to being "done" sleeping. Reading fiction right before going to bed really seems to help me to fall asleep quickly. My mind tries to switch over to work stuff but quickly it switches back to the story... and within minutes I'm asleep. Pretty incredible for a life-long insomniac.

For breakfast I scrambled two eggs, 3 strips of bacon, red pepper, mushrooms, onions and topped it with salsa. Three cups of coffee. I could probably quit the coffee now. I don't really need it to "wake up" anymore.

My arms are sore... presumably from the push-ups... two days ago! And my knees are sore, obviously from my two mile walk yesterday.

Checked my measures this morning. I dropped only 4 pounds but I lost 1.5" off my waist, 1" off my thigh, and 1" off my hips. My core is now vertical... still too big.. but vertical.

PrimalCon New York
    3/11/2012 11:27 AM
    went for a walk around the block this morning with my dog... just under one mile. Not doing that again in flip-flops. I've got two blisters now.

Just woke up from a 30 minute nap. Again, FitBit says 100% efficiency.

chicken soup for lunch.

Damn I was tired all day. I did get some heavy chores done but then I was spent. I took a nap at 3, got up at 4, back to sleep at 4:30 and up again at 6:15. Interestingly, if I add up the naps to the 4 hours sleep I got last night it totals about 7 1/2 hours. Hope I don't have many more days like this.

Had a handful of macadamia's and pecans and some organic veggie chips at the neighbors house and then I realized I was hungry. Went to the grocery store and experienced my first temptation to return to SAD. I was drooling over french bread pizzas, Diet Pepsi, corn chips, etc. and the at every isle my mind was justifying a cheat... and not a little cheat... a BIG CHEAT. But I powered through and got my spaghetti squash and came home. Now I've got a belly full of "spaghetti" and meatballs and I'm very full.

I think the strawberry-banana-honey smoothie I treated myself to last night must have led to this bad day. It was tasted good but it wasn't worth it. Today wasn't a disaster but it wasn't a good day. And I'm still tired.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast