Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (denasqu) page 3

andyTHFC is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    great job!!! keep up the good work!!!

denasqu is offline Senior Member
    Famous last words. It was anything but an easy day. The network we re-wired this weekend had some issues and I had to go into scramble mode to get it back up. In addition to the stress, I got a bunch of exercise running up and down stairs, climbing up and down ladders, crawling under desks, moving furniture, and walking back and forth. I did cave in to the stress and drank an extra cup of coffee at the office but I had no trouble passing on all the donuts an coffee cakes. The office coffee sucks!

Passed another milestone today. I can stand up from a chair without using my arms! How I hated having to get used to using my arm strength to assist in lifting my big carcass out of chair. Embarrassing. Cross that one off the list.

BAS in the early afternoon with a tin of anchovies, a hard boiled egg, and Cindy's Kitchen ranch dressing. White tea+yerba mate.

A couple more days and I'll be out of my supply of store-bought creamy dressings.
    I'm going to learn how to make my own creamy dressings.

Picked up some Italian sausage today and I'm going to mix it with the ground buffalo I picked up at Whole Foods to make MDA meatballs. Then I'm going to make some buttery spaghetti squash and crack open that jar of Newman's Sockarooni sauce. The sauce may not be totally primal but I've got it and I ain't throwing it away. I love my Sockarooni sauce, although I may not buy it again for a while. I make a pretty damn good homemade sauce myself.

Had one cheat today. There were samples of sweet potato chips on display at an organic grocery I stopped in to. They looked just like dried sweet potato slices so I tried one. Tasted good so I look at the ingredients. Corn meal and whole wheat flour were the first two ingredients. I hate having to read labels but you just can't trust anything!
    Last edited by denasqu; 03-05-2012 at 08:03 PM.
    "If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?" - Tom Snyder, talk show host

Not very hungry tonight. I took an hour nap and then I just had one of my almond butter protein bars. I'm glad I had something in the frig because when I woke up I just wanted much something immediately. I don't feel particularly tired anymore. I just stayed up till 2AM watching a movie and then had a stressful morning at work.

Made the MDA meatballs and ate about an once of parmesan while I was grating it. Drank a couple glasses of white tea+yerba mate. Meatballs are done and I had to have a little taste. Delicious as expected! I got 10 baseball sized meatballs out of the recipe and 9 of them are going in to the freezer for later. Spaghetti squash tomorrow night!

Although I'm really enjoying the primal food, I need to get serious about some exercise.

Reading about SimpleFit and Intermittent Fasting. Both sound pretty good to me.

Got my Fitbit today and set it up. I'll be interesting to see how much walking I do tomorrow when I'm "trying".
    Last edited by denasqu; 03-05-2012 at 08:04 PM.
    "If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?" - Tom Snyder, talk show host

I was reading a post about binge eating which and I acknowledge, when left to my own devices, that is the way I always wind up eating as a "normal" diet. Since becoming primal I have had zero desire to binge eat and it occurred to me that instead of binging I am "scheduling". In other words instead of just pigging out on something good right now, I'm thinking "oh I'll have that Thursday night" or "I'll cook that up and freeze it for later when I'm hungry". So I'm still eating the good stuff (and by good I mean primal) but I'm just not eating it all right now!

I've suffered from hives for the last 5 years and I diagnosed myself after going to three different doctors. It began one morning when I was eating a hot bowl of super nutritious multi-grain cereal with kiwi fruit. Within minutes I was in full blown anaphylaxis and wound up spending the day in the hospital with a Benadryl I V. I've carried an Epi-pen ever since.

I spent six months doing food allergy testing with one allergist and everything came up negative. Through trial and error I discovered that corn (and corn by-products) seemed to always cause me to break out in hives. After the allergist convinced me that I had no allergy to corn I went straight to Tijuana Flats and pigged out on corn chips and tacos. Three hours later I was back in the hospital for the second time with anaphylaxis.

So I quit going to the doctors and started reading. The Primal Blueprint obviously, Good Calories Bad Calories, The Paleo Solution, Digestive Wellness, etc. And I figured out that the hives were being triggered a few hours after I ate anything with corn. I learned that pretty much every processed food has corn disguised in it's ingredients list. I also learned that a protein in corn called zein is digested as it passes through our descending colon, which matches with my experience. The hives and itching would always start, (or get worse since I usually itch around the clock) right before I had a bowel movement.

Since there is some type of corn in virtually every processed food, I've had a daily dose of Bendadry and Zyrtec just to knock down the histamines so that I could function and I've had to do this for years.

I did plenty of food challenges where you simplify your diet for a few days then eat nothing but the suspect food for a day. Corn was clearly the problem but I never could get a doctor to explain why.

I've been 100% primal for the last 10 days and for the last four days I haven't taken any allergy pills and the itching is less every day. Last night it was just small areas on my forearm and on my shin.

And this coincides precisely with my improved bowel habits. I'm real regular every morning now, not constipated, and popping good to excellent poos. I can't even begin to describe what a relief this is.

I highly recommend the book Digestive Wellness and the food challenges if you think you have leaky gut. It's a lot of work logging and analyzing to figure it out but since you're already primal and have presumably eliminated processed foods, the task should be a whole lot easier.

I had a 2AM toilet visit and struggled to push out a really nasty foul smelling poo. I was itching pretty badly but it stopped after the poo. I got to thinking that it is probably just because my fat cells are dumping years of toxic storage and I still think that's probably the case, but it might just be because I cheated and added a couple tablespoons of potato flour to the big pot of beef stew I made. I only ate one serving but who knows. I've basically been 100% primal until the stew so I suppose it's possible that inflamed my colon. I froze the rest of the stew and it will be a while before I have it again so it will be an interesting experiment if I don't have any more bowel issues.

two strip bacon, two fried eggs, and 3 cups coffee for breakfast. One tbsp cream since I used some for the meatballs I made last night and don't want to throw it out. I'm trying to avoid dairy but I don't think 1 tbsp of cream is going to send me on a cheese binge. I still feel very motivated and don't fear a cheese binge.

late lunch - grilled chicken breast covered with ham, parmesan, and some blue cheese dressing and a big pile of buttered broccoli

3/6/2012 4:22 PM

I read up on the SimpleFit exercise program. There isn't much too it and it starts really slow so I'm in! I signed up and the website. Now I've just got to start doing.

My FitBit came from Amazon too and I set it up last night. This little doo-hickey is really cool. It syncs up to the website wirelessly anytime I'm near the base. I slept with it last night and carried it around in my pocket all day. It's fascinating to see how much I really move and it's more than I thought. I may get one for my dog too just for kicks.

3/6/2012 7:53 PM
    buttered spaghetti squash; two big buffalo/italian sausage meatballs; Newmans Own Sockarooni sauce; grated parmesan.
    Stuffed! And it was real real good.

3/7/2012 8:41 AM
    Strapped on my new FitBit last night to log my sleep. I was tired at 10:30pm and went to bed. Lately I've just been zonking out almost immediately. Maybe I was "stressed" at the thought of being uplinked to the cloud during my sleep but I had a hard time getting to sleep last night. I woke up with the sunrise at 6:30am as has become typical but I went back to bed. FitBit reports from the could this morning that I woke 24 times last night, was in bed for 9 hours and 25 minutes, and only got 7 hours and 39 minutes of sleep, for 84% efficiency... whatever that means. I did have neck cramp so bad that I had to take an Alleve and a BenGay rub so last night probably wasn't a good sample. I'll try to sleep better.
    I also had a wee hours snack of pork rinds, honey, and a almond butter protein bar, which probably didn't help my sleep and made me not hungry in the morning.

Snacking in the middle of the night is probably the worst thing I'm doing now. That, and not pushing myself to exercise. The food thing... I've got it nailed.

Primal Blueprint needs something like "the Promises" in AA.

If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are half way through. We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness. We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it. We will comprehend the word satiety and we will know good health. No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others. That feeling of uselessness and self-pity will disappear. We will lose interest in unhealthy things and gain interest in our potential. Self-loathing will slip away. Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change. Fear of health problems and insecurity will leave us. We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us. We will suddenly realize that Grok is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.

I forced myself to eat two strip of bacon for breakfast. Not hungry at all this AM and feel kind of achy and groggy. It's been a stressful couple of workdays though so maybe that's all there is to it. Maybe I need ot cool it on the dairy for a while. I haven't had much but I've had some and there seems to be a pattern. Dairy = gassy and bad poo. The only other marginally primal food I've been ingesting is the protein powder in my Almond-butter-nut-bars so maybe I'll cool it on them too for while.

Hives.- not a problem
    Acid Reflux - not a problem even after all that spaghetti sauce last night.

Still not very hungry. Been drinking a lot of white tea+yerba mate. Still, I made a small greens salad with a hard boiled egg and some blue cheese and heated up a bowl of my beef stew. I haven't been "hungry" since I started this but I do get sort of a queezy feeling and the urge to eat a few times a day. Perhaps that's what true hunger feels like.

Fried some chicken gizzards in coconut oil and bacon grease after soaking them in buttermilk and onions for 24 hours, then rinsing them off and dunking them in egg then a mixture of arrowroot flour and almond meal. Probably the best fried gizzards I've ever had. There's another pound of gizzards in the pressure cooker right now for my stew experiment.

Had a nap this early evening and I logged it with the FitBit. Had 100% sleep efficiency for 25 minutes and it only took me two minutes to doze off. I used to take power naps years ago but those were intentional. This is just happening naturally which is kind of cool.

Funny that I thought I was too tired to cook those gizzards tonight but I went ahead and did it. Now that I've got a half pound of fried gizzards in my gullet I feel GOOD! I'm going to watch Survivor on TIVO, take a shower, and go to bed... well assuming my gizzard stew has cooled down by then. I was going to freeze my gizzard experiments but there's no point in putting the fried batch in the freezer because they'll all be eaten tomorrow! Might as well put gizzards back on my shopping list.

Xm4sBw

Had a midnight snack of a spoon of raw honey and a spoon of almond butter and washed it down with water.

FitBit tells me again that I awoke 23 times last night and my sleep is 84% efficient. I was in bed for 7 hours 42 minutes and actually slept 6 hours 23 minutes. Doesn't seem too good to me but I am most definitely sleeping better than I was before primal. I wonder how bad it would have registered before. I would guess less than 50% efficient.

Feel good, strong and rested this AM. I don't have tremendous energy and I'm really needed these 30 minute naps at the end of every work day. I mean when I get home it's like a switch flips and I MUST take a nap. Everything just shuts down. But 30 minutes later it's like I had a full nights sleep. Crazy.

I can actually feel my gut working. It feels like a digestion machine and it feels tighter. Digesting food has pretty well been my primary exercise each day. Can't say I've really incorporated any regular exercise program. Not sure if this is just laziness or just taking it slow but I feel that it's more of the latter. I was in such horrible shape when I began this in earnest a week and half a ago that it seems overlay ambitious to jump into an "exercise program'. I mean you've got to walk before you run right. On the other hand, my home is neater than it's been in a long while. Instead of sitting on my ass every night and watching TV, I'm up and down and doing things like cooking, cleaning up the kitchen afterward, and cleaning up the house. Slowly things are being put back in order... a little bit more each day. That activity alone seems like a huge improvement. All the walking back and forth, bending over, sitting down, getting up.... I guess that's my exercise program for the time being. Maybe next week I'll start some yard work. The weather is beautiful and lord knows I need some yard work done. For starters, I need to start planning where my veggies are going to grow. My goal for the next year is to grow at least 50% of my veggies at home.

two strips bacon and one egg over easy. 3 cups coffee for breakfast

I did a spot check and logged my food intake into MyFitnessPal yesterday and came up with good numbers again.

1985 Calories
    80g Carbohydrates
    120g Fat
    143g Protein.

Excellent.
    Last edited by denasqu; 03-08-2012 at 06:41 AM.

No lunch today. No time and wasn't hungry. Had an early dinner of gizzard stew with a veggie salad and blue cheese dressing. Pant are getting loose and people at work have commented that my face is thinner, I'm more energetic, and calmer. They've also started asking what I'm doing. I tell them nunya. Maybe I'll tell them after I've lost a 100lbs.

Slept from about 7:30pm to 9:00 pm after a very busy day. According to FitBit I sleep way better when I take naps than when I'm trying to sleep at night. Who am I to argue. Naps are sweet!

Ate some more fried gizzards with Tabasco this time and I managed to save a half-dozen for the hispanic women at the office... who love them. I shared my recipe and now they think I'm a gourmet. mollejas fritas!

Put a whole chicken on my shopping list and I'm going to try MDA chicken soup over the weekend. Trying to fill my freezer with good stuff that I can eat when I don't have a lot of time. I've got a way to go but that damn pressure cooker has already paid for itself.

Mark's 21 day challenge said to sprint/bunny hop today. When I took my dog out I did a sort of dance. Felt kind of silly but it was dark so hopefully none of the neighbors were watching. FitBit logged it as "very active" so I guess I was doing it right.
    I need to follow the 21 Day Transformation better. I'm doing and feeling great but it's starting to feel like this is just about weight loss, cooking, and forum chatter. It just occurred to me tonight that I could easily lose focus. So...

Daily energy levels 1-10: 7
    Hunger level between meals 1-10: 1
    Satisfaction level with meals 1-10: 10
    Struggles today with Primal efforts: Trying to think up something that is a struggle? I honestly can't think of anything. It's all coming pretty easy. Perhaps implementing an exercise plan... which I haven't done.
    Benefits noticed from Primal efforts: A steady energy and stamina throughout the day. Sleep way better. Hives are gone. Acid reflux is gone. Lost 14 lbs in the first week. Pants are getting baggy. Mood is calmer (I used to be pretty irritable). Generally happier in my dealings with people.
    Daily highlight(s): Had a number of reasons to get pissed off with people today and I didn't.
    Daily needs-to-improve: Exercise
    Last edited by denasqu; 03-08-2012 at 08:47 PM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    fitbit sent me congratulatory email for walking over 5000 steps.

Ugh. No more naps. It's screwing up my night time sleep which is screwing up my day. I was up a couple times trying my best to get tired by watching Ghost Hunters which made me really sleepy but I just couldn't fall asleep. FitBit says I was in bed for 4 hours 13 minutes last night and only got 2 hours 44 minutes sleep. Yeah, that's about right. Now it's morning and I'm tired. Shit! At least it's Friday. Maybe the masses will have mercy on me today.

Ate a swig of kefir and an almond butter protein bar last night. Only one left. Not sure I'm going to make another batch just yet. I think I was better off snacking on lettuce wraps/meat than protein powder.

Feel bloated, gassy, and constipated this morning and I've got a bit of a stomach ache. My guess is because because of so little sleep I didn't digest well. I printed out this poster to paste on my bedroom door to remind me how important a good night's sleep is. I really need to seriously wind down in the evening instead of pushing to do "one more thing" on the computer and having the TV blasting till the wee hours. I have forced myself to turn out the lights when I go to bed but it doesn't help much if I keep working on the laptop when I'm in bed. Perhaps I should just skip the naps and just not stress about it per this MDA blog post and just accept that it's biphasic sleep.

Let's try that again. I went back to sleep for 2 hours and slept till 8:30 am. Much better. 100% sleep bit efficiency. Literally slept like a log.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast