Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (denasqu) page 2

denasqu is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    "You have been unsubscribed from this Papa John's emails"

Sorry Papa John, I un-friend you.
    "If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?" - Tom Snyder, talk show host

Had one of my new almond butter protein bars around lunch time. A few leaves of lettuce with braunschweiger/mustard and some pork rinds in the afternoon. And I'm going to force myself to eat a chicken breast grilled in onions with bacon and a bunch of steamed broccoli with butter, even though I'm still not hungry. I AM pretty tired and kind of dizzy.

I took a nap this afternoon for about an hour. I'll be glad when this dizzy groggy part passes though.. but I'll take it over the awful way I had been feeling. Seems like when I eat a meal I'm revived for a few hours. I guess the fatigue is just my body screaming for carbs. Although I'm not craving... or even wanting any bad carbs. I've been moving around a lot more but still not really "exercising". Maybe I'll try those powerband things for while.
    "If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?" - Tom Snyder, talk show host

locogirlp is offline Junior Member
    Sounds to me like you might be suffering from a bout of carb flu. It'll pass! And I'm loving your journal, you have a great sense of humor and that's a really important thing to have when you're going all in with this like you're doing.

Keep on keeping on!

Yes I've heard that term "carb flu" a couple times and I finally admitted this evening that yeppers, feels like the flu.

As I suspected though, I feel much friskier after I eat a meal. I split one of those big thick chicken breasts in half and stacked some cheddar cheese and ham on top of each half and heated it up in the microwave. Then I spread a dollop of blue cheese dressing over it all and added a plate full of buttery steamed broccoli as a side. I'm really full now.

I busted out the power bands and now I'm figuring out ways to use them. For starters I just wear them around the house like a scarf and bust a move everytime I've got a hand free. I even cranked out a set of one-arm military presses while I was peeing.

Had a midnight snack of one of those almond-butter-protein-bars followed by a lettuce wrap with braunschweiger and mustard. Jeez, I'm eating like a pregnant woman. No way I could eat breakfast this morning because I'm way too full so by default I guess I'm IFing. I'm so cool.

I'm avoiding the scale because I'm afraid of what I might see. For the time being I'm just going by how I feel. Toying with the idea of no weigh-in for a month or two or more..or never.

But this morning I didn't feel so great but that's because I was late for an 8:00 am appointment. First I woke up at 6:00 and shut off my alarm clock before it went off and then went back to bed. It was one of those sleepy decisions that seemed to make good sense at the time. Next thing I know I'm waking up at 10 minutes till 8:00 and running all over the house like a crazy man trying to get dressed and out the door. The Gulf Coast Runners had some 5K going on this morning and I nearly took out a couple of them on the way to the office. But at least I did make it out of the door and safely to the office. Quite a feat for someone that just a week ago could barely function before consuming a half pot of coffee in the morning.

It's an interesting twist that has developed in that I'm waking up at sunrise no matter what time I go to bed. It's like Grok is inside me and he wants to hunt.

There also seems to be a spiritual aspect to this endeavor developing. I've got that quiet confidence that only the defeated know and I'm wasting zero energy trying to "find an easier way" or mentally masturbating over cookies and corn chips. It's over. The fat guy lost. There is a new sheriff in town and his name is GROK.

Forgot to factor in the dessert I had last night of ricotta cheese+banana+cherries+walnuts.

Since I wasn't hungry today, I didn't eat. Only drank a couple cups of coffee and water between midnight last night and 6:00 pm today. Something must be working because I didn't feel hungry at all until around 5:00 pm and it was a very physically active day. I was rewiring a network and was up and down ladders and walking back and forth from one end of the building to the other all afternoon. My feet hurt.

So when I got home I made a BAS with chicken+ham+caesar dressing+two hard boiled eggs. Then I topped it off with one of my almond butter protein bars and washed it all down with a couple glasses of white tea.

The remarkable part about today wasn't so much that I didn't get hungry but that my energy didn't fade like it typically would. Today was the first day that I didn't crash in the middle of the afternoon. It has been a good productive day.

Pork rinds and couple slices of braunschweiger for a late night snack. I've got to stop doing this. It can't be good. I wake up, eat something, and go back to bed. Makes me not want breakfast.

posted in http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread49172.html

I'll commit to

(1)parking at the far end of the parking lots
    (2) doing the weekly walk-thru's at the six properties I manage and I'm supposed to do anyway
    (3) willingly move the top shelf file boxes around for the little ladies in the office instead of bitching about it
    (4) get up and move from my desk at least every 30 minutes

Had 3 cups of coffee, two eggs, pepper, onions, fried with 3 strips bacon for breakfast.

Well I wasn't going to weigh myself for a while but curiosity got the better of me because I don't really feel like I've lost any weight. I am much more active and energetic, sleeping much better and feeling well rested and I can buckle my belt without swearing, but wasn't so confident about weight loss. No worries. Dropped 12 lbs in a week. I'll take it. And hopefully I'll keep receiving it.

Damn sleep is good! I've always struggled with sleep and never seemed to be able to sleep more than a couple hours at a time. Now I'm getting tired around 10:30 pm and I mean REALLY tired. I can't read or even watch TV. I just have to go to sleep. Even weirder is that I'm waking up at sunrise no matter what and I feel well rested. It's awesome. Last night I only got up once and had no trouble at all getting back to sleep. Really awesome.

I'm going to have to do a little research on bacon but perhaps because I'm eating it daily I'm becoming an aficionado. I got some Trader Joe's bacon and frankly, it sucks. It made a ton of grease and it was really slimy shiny grease. The grease tasted kind of sweet and the bacon seemed to have very little flavor. I usually buy Applegate Sunday Bacon and it tastes good and makes a reasonable amount of grease. And sometimes I buy Kurobuta bacon from the butcher down town. The weird thing about it is that it makes very very little grease when I cook it. Yet all of these bacons have about the same amount of fat. Weird. Need to find out why. It's obviously got something to do with the makeup of the fat. I would imagine pigs are pretty much like us in that they store all kinds of stuff in their fat cells.

Took an hour nap this afternoon and woke up refreshed and ready to roll. Went out and picked up a pressure cooker at Walmarkets, a sharpening steel at cool little chef's supply store I found (The Good Life), and some stew meat, carrots, etc. at Whole Foods. I'll be whipping up the beef stew from Mark's blog post this pm.

Here's a twist. Walmarkets was PACKED and the only parking space I could find was way out in the far corner of the parking lot. I thought "great, I get to walk". But then I actually almost enjoyed the hunt for few items in the big ass Super Walmart. I got plenty of walking in and didn't once feel like punching anybody in the head. The nice butcher lady at Whole Foods tipped me off that it would be cheaper to buy a 2lb roast and cut it up than to buy their stew meat... then she cut it up for me! And I got into an interesting conversation with the owner of the chef's supply about cooking. There's something happening here..... what it is ain't exactly clear.... stop, hey what's that sound...

Had a almond butter protein bar to hold me over till my beef stew is pressure cooked. And some white tea.
    Last edited by denasqu; 03-04-2012 at 05:51 PM.

Another good day winding to a close. I made the pressure cooker beef stew from MDA blog and it was awesome. I thickened it up with a couple tablespoons of potato flour (my first cheat) but I also added arrowroot flour to my grocery list. My intent was to freeze the stew in individual portions but I may have to eat it all this week. I really wanted a seconds as I was eating a bowl but by the time I finished I was quite satisfied. Generally I'm finding that all primal foods are satisfying if not down right delicious. And I imagine the lack of deliciousness is equivalent to my lack of knowledge.

Didn't want to get out of bed this morning. No so much because I was tired but because it felt so good to just lay there. Reminds of a question I heard years ago about how we wake up in the morning. Do we wake up and think "thank God for another day" or think "Oh God, another day". Typically it has been the latter for me but this AM it was the former. Hope it stays this way.

For Breakfast: 2 eggs, 2 bacon, onions and mushrooms. Was feeling a little tired of two fried eggs every morning so got creative. I smashed the cooked bacon into crumbs and whipped it in to the eggs and made scrambled eggs. Maybe tomorrow I'll get really edgy and add celery. 3 cups coffee.

I actually sprinted today! It wasn't very far but it sure was fun. My dog is crazy. She loves to run and I usually just let her run back and forth and all around on her 20 foot leash but suddenly today I busted a move and went after her. She loved it! So did I.

I've got a pretty easy day today so I don't need to plan ahead for lunch. No meetings or appointments so I may come home for an early afternoon BAS.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast