Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sugar is Evil and What I'm Gonna Do About It page

Tuffers is offline Junior Member

Sugar is Evil and What I'm Gonna Do About It

Primal Fuel
    This journal is about accountability and facing my choices, good or bad every day.

I have bought into the whole Primal/Paleo thing. I've read a bunch of books. I've read a gazillion blogs. I've frankly read way more than is helpful. I'm a reader, not a doer. I'm the example of "Letting perfect ruin good".
    Tried paleo a couple of years ago for 8 weeks. It worked. But I drifted away. I like shitty food... a lot. Guess I will admit to being a binge eater of shitty carbohydrates. I'm not hugely overweight but hate my body, especially my abdomen and ass. Its getting worse with age. Need to stop the hemorrhaging now.

Height:5'8"
    Weight: 161.6 as of a couple of days ago
    I will be tracking measurements and weight, but I'm not that worried about weight. When I tried Paleo before, I didn't lose that much weight but I definitely looked different.
    Waist at smallest: 34
    Abdomen at biggest: 38
    Hips at biggest: 41

My plan is to post things I shouldn't have eaten. I will also post activity in the hopes of increasing it. I have been uber lazy lately and just not really felt like exercising. I wake up at a god awful early time to exercise, then read paleo blogs instead. WTF. Reader, not a doer.

Heres to the start of something good!

I wil posts the days successes or failures before I go to bed or first thing the next morning.
    Yesterday was quite successful. Actually, I have done well since last Tuesday (6 days) with the exception of shoveling some crap in my my mouth over a couple hours on Friday night. But I'm not listing that since I hadn't started my journal yet.

What I shouldn't have eaten:
    2 cans of diet Mt Dew. Damn it. This is a problem for me. I went 4 days cold turkey last week,
    then blew up this weekend. otherwise no sugar, processed crap, diary, legumes etc.

Physical Activity:
    7.2 mile hike with the dogs. I am quite sore today. Mostly due to the fact that I was drug for most of the
    miles and was putting the brakes on down some steep hills. Oh well, they get more excerise as sled dogs and
    I get a full body work out as the sled.

I joined the 1000k in a year walking challenge last night too. This is as much for the dogs as for me. Seeing as I am starting almost 2 months late, I'm not optimistic I make the 1000km by Jan 1, but I'll give it a shot.
    Last edited by Tuffers; 02-27-2012 at 03:08 AM.

Shamia is offline Senior Member
    Ooh.. Mt dew.. I love that stuff. I'm not primal long enough to not want that anymore..

Good luck!

Insane Grok is offline Senior Member
    ohh i can relate to diet mt dew! holy crap i used to drink it like it was going out of style!

i've been trying to quit cold turrkey since two weeks ago. last week was my best effort, i think i had 3...ok maybe 4 bottles for about 8 days, i'm starting to not crave it like a mad man. yesterday i had the option to keep drinking a few bottles, but i choose coffee and then a glass of water.

it does help keep you more honest posted an honest review of what you eat and do, it makes me more aware of being dumb or being good

best of luck to you!

pauldaniel7 is offline Junior Member
    Just gave up Diet Coke and others (Diet Mtn Dew is one of the faves!) Last night was my last! Keep rolling!!!

I guess I am not the only diet soda addict on the forums, lol

Yesterday was another good day. Only problem was I was really hungry all day. I don't think I brought enough calories to work. I had bulletproof coffee for breakfast. This goes back to my reading too much problem. I had it a couple of times last week and it did seem to curb my hunger longer than usual. I'm not sure what I think about the whole concept of 400 cals of fat, drank for a meal. The main benefit is the speed at which I can get out of the house in the morning. I've been making it with salted butter, which is why it has a slighty skanky aftertaste. I have ordered some unsalted butter as I can't find unsalted, pastured butter in these parts.

What I Shouldn't Have Eaten:
    F me. You guessed it. I had a diet Mt. Dew at 7pm last night after dinner. I had two huge salmon patties cooked up in coconut oil for dinner. I was sooo craving carbs, or sweet, I don't know. But it came down to a huge slab of banana bread or a Diet Dew. I actually stood in front of the bread and had a conversation with it, in my head, so my husband wouldn't hear. Then I drank a dew. As I was drinking it, It almost felt like I was "ruining" my day (don't let perfect be the ruin of good). It was enough to get me past my cravings though. And seeing as how I would drink 5-6 Diet Dews in the past, it could have been much worse. Eating a loaf of banana bread would have been worse too.

Physical Activity:
    I started Convict Conditioning yesterday. I really like the progressive nature of it. I'm starting at the beginning. I have so many old injures (ACL, meniscus, plate/screws in wrist, torn ligament in other wrist, f'd up rotator cuff). I have hope that this program builds slow enough that I don't overdo. I tried Cross-fit a couple of years ago and actually outfitted a home gym but I have injured myself several times. My plan is CC MWF, HIIT T,TH and lots of walking. I walked 1.7 mi yesterday after work with the dogs before it got dark.

Weight was down a couple this am. I won't be posting weight except for every couple of weeks though. Have to make sure it is real. Off to do some HIIT.

Diet coke is my poison. Stay strong!

Shamia is offline Senior Member
    carb technically, I think the diet mnt dew (we don't have diet version of mnt dew here. Can't wait to go to the US in June! That'll be my treat ) was the better choice. But maybe you should buy85% chocolate so that if you need something sweet, it's at least something good for you? Unless you don't like chocolate, of course?

Spubba is offline Senior Member
    Ohhhhh, I'm here among the ranks of the diet-soda lovers. The craving is so powerful, so much more than junk food for me. We should pass out coins for the "sodaholics" who manage to kick it successfully. I manage to stay away from it most of the time, but sometimes I just can't resist the fizzy devil!

Insane Grok is offline Senior Member
    haha, all the talk of diet drinks. to me it is almost like comfort food...drink...whatever. and i'm with you i could easily go through 5-6 diet dew's a day, so far i had 3 last week and my last one was on sunday. i'm starting to "not care" when i see one, it doesn't feel like i need to drink it at all. good feeling!

i think you made the right choice, banana bread, as tasty as it is, is still bread (i'm guessing it wasn't primal banana bread...) but at least the diet dew doesn't screw with your insulin!

hopefully soon all of us will be able to go to DDA (Diet drinks anonymous) and share our success's!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast