Page 98 of 413 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108148198 ... LastLast

Thread: Show, then aid - Sabine page 98

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    See, I told you. Your friend got her book accepted and you had yummy sushi! Definitely better than yesterday!

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Fish oil in milk? I would like to hear some explanation for this. There must be a reason!
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

It's so you get your omega 3's:-)

I think I'll stick to getting them from vegetables and nuts and animals!

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    Fish oil in milk? I would like to hear some explanation for this. There must be a reason!

Sabine is offline Senior Member

Very convoluted post

I was introduced to a new quote on Tuesday: Let go or be dragged. Very Zen.

And it made me start thinking (of course!) how many things are dragging us through life because we cannot or will not let go of them. (I had a typo there for a moment: man things instead of many things. Also appropriate. Man[humans, I mean] generates a lot of 'things' we don't really need.) My relationship with my mother popped into mind at once, but I don't even want to think about that. I have been thinking about her less and less; I think I AM slowly letting go there.

But back to food. What am I hanging on to that I need to let go of? The first thing to pop into my mind was the term 'diet'. And I ended up somewhere I didn't think I would.

(This is all somewhat jumbled. It was clearer in my head, but I am not going to labor over it enough to make it crystal.)

Even CW speaks of 'lifestyle changes' now. "I'm not on a diet, I'm changing the way I eat." "Change your way of living, not your way of eating." Blah, blah, blah.

One of the things that drives me crazy about Atkins-bashing(if you recall, I am pro-Atkins) is that people take one aspect of the plan, and ignore all the rest. It has this in common with Primal Blueprint: people don't read the whole thing! They take a sound bite and think that is the whole deal. Atkins has you start at low-carb, then slowly add things back in until you are at the carb-level that is right for you. It is NOT a no vegetables plan. It is a DIET that transitions into a new way of eating.

My first official DIET was Weight Watchers, back in my late teens. I succeeded until emotional issues got in the way. I've gone back on it a few times, but always in a half-assed way. Otherwise, I mostly tried to 'eat healthy'. You know, make a 'lifestyle change' and 'not obsess about it all'. After all, 'diets aren't good for you'. And 'they don't work'. Even CW will tell you that now.

Only, it did work. And when I went on a low-carb diet, that worked, too. That's not 'sustainable', though, THEY will say, and I believe them.

Up to a point.

Thanks to Primal, I know what and how I should be eating. It is the doing that is hard. I've never gotten to the point of being at my goal weight and having to learn how to sustain it. I've always quit before then.

I haven't learned how to live my 'lifestyle' and so I can't keep it up.

Maybe I need to let go of a 'lifestyle', and actually DIET, to get to a new place. Look at it as a period of intense effort that I will not have to keep up forever.

Will it be easier to eat the way I want to once I am at a normal weight? It can't be harder. And what I am doing now is NOT working. I keep falling off the wagon- how appropriate a term for this train of thought- and since I can't let go I am being dragged.

Even being dragged by Primal is no fun.

I don't want to let go of the things I have learned, but if I can't do them naturally, maybe I haven't learned them thoroughly.

Could a DIET be the re-education plan I need?

I feel great when I am eating right, but that is still not enough to keep me on it. Could appearance do the trick? Hey, if I'm going to be shallow, I should at least make it work for me, right?

Is it easier to eat right when you look great? Is it easier to exercise when you are 50 pounds lighter? (My guess is yes, for the exercise, that is.)

I think I have two different challenges.

The first is sticking with weight loss long enough to get to challenge two, which would be learning how to maintain it. CW will (now) have it that you do both of those at the same time. But that's not working for me. Maybe I should let go and try something different. DIET in a primal way and make that my only challenge until I get to the next step. Maybe I have been trying to do the hop, skip, and jump when I should have been just hopping- for a long, long time.

Be extreme, knowing I will not be extreme forever.

DIET.
    Last edited by Sabine; 07-19-2012 at 06:48 AM. Reason: the usual

Wow! I've been going through similar thought processes. I thought you wrote them quite clearly. Well done!

I think there's the rolling stone effect too. If, that's the biggy, if we could lose enough, so it's not still "G-d, I have sooooo much still to lose so what's a pint of Haagen Daaz," then we'd feel better, and it would be easier to DIET and EXERCISE and just BE and it would get easier and easier instead of remaining hopeless.

Have a great day!

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Timely post Sabine. I just decided to completely clean up my program and do whole 30. For me, the 80/20 permissiveness even with things like dairy and rice has just created a slippery slope. Here goes: no sugar (even artificial), no dairy, no legumes, no grains.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. We'll support you.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Yes, down with slippery slopes:-)

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    I'm with you, I have to do things all the way. Aim for 100% all of the time. Expect to succeed, but also expect setbacks. Don't let them derail you. (I'm giving myself a pep talk here.)
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for your comments, ladies.

Lopisheep-I'm glad you could understand it. Isn't it strange how something can seem so clear in your mind, but when you try to express it, it is just a bunch of jumble? When I read over what I had written, I wondered if it made any sense at all. You're right about the "I've got so much more still to lose' effect. I went 5 months without a cheat before as my longest run, so I am setting my diet length at 4 months,

Pebbles-I'm glad you are doing a Whole30. I can follow along for inspiration. I figured out my parameters, and my first thought was 'ooh, pretty strict'. Then I remembered it was for a limited period of time -not all time- and a real feeling of release came over me. I think I am getting myself into the mindset of facing a challenge, and it feels good, not daunting.

Siobhan-100% is much easier than compromise for me. I must have a fanatic's soul. And yet, I let myself be talked into (by myself, others, environment) into compromise after compromise. I really need to put myself first, and be aggressive about it. As an example, there are food items I keep for my family. Really? I say I don't want to inconvenience them, but what about MY inconvenience? Time to put my game face on. Grrr.

Here is the plan I came up with:

Breakfast of eggs, meat, and 1 cup of cooked greens.
    Lunch of 2C salad greens, 1C mixed veges, 3oz meat or 6oz fish, oo&v dressing
    Snack of protein shake or protein/vege leftovers
    Dinner of 4-6oz meat, 2 different veges, 1C each

I will cook my meat and veges with fats, and not worry about them. Butter and cream, yes. Cheese, no. Nuts, no. Fruit, no.

This gives me 120+g protein, 1400-1600 calories, and 8 servings of vege daily.

Walk every day. Take my vitamins, drink my water, get my sleep. Lift weights once a week, for pity's sake.

Planned sashimi outings once a week. NO rice, NO creme brulee. Fish and vege, that's it.

Skip dinner once a week. Skip breakfast once a week.

This is the kind of strictness that I would have (and have) rolled my eyes at in others, but it feels very energizing, I confess. I made it through yesterday with a little talking to myself. I think my fasting experiences helped here, because when I felt 'hungry' I was able to address what the feeling really was, and just FEEL IT. 1 day down, 122 to go.

When I weighed out my turkey at lunch, and ground beef at dinner last night, I realized I have been overeating my protein like a fiend. A standard portion is SO small. I dealt with it.

I walked to the store, bought greens, and made a batch ready for my breakfasts. Today, I am clearing out the fridge and reordering the pantry. I put my food-scale on the counter, and used a measuring cup to plate with. I'm putting non-Sabine foods in a cupboard in the front room, and the drawers in the fridge.

I weighed myself, and started my n=1 journal that I bought during the promotion. I do not want to tell my weight, because I have gained a CHUNK in the past couple of weeks. I'll tell it anyhow. 196. I want to erase that. I'm not going to. It is what it is. I fell off the wagon, I've gained a bunch of water weight, and probably a few real pounds. Face it. Move on. I feel very Sisyphusian, but sometimes we have to go through that in our lives. Deal, Sabine!

Woke up insanely early after a nightmare which made me start worrying about money, so I got on the forum to distract myself in a positive way. It is working.

What a wonderful plan! It looks so workable, and I am sure we are all going to hear super reports. As for the last part about your weight -- it will erase itself in a day or two -- never looking back, and just going forward.

For some reason, the idea appeals to me of erasing the starting weight every so often and just going on. So, like forget that weight we had and didn't like and just focus on the new low weight each time. I know this probably doesn't work so well for most people, but -- I don't know -- I just like the idea of saying: "I weigh ... now."

"Getting better all the time," so to speak:-) Does that make any sort of sense to you?