Page 96 of 415 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106146196 ... LastLast

Thread: Show, then aid - Sabine page 96

Sabine is offline Senior Member

Motivation

Primal Fuel
    Fear motivates me.

I got pains yesterday afternoon, and all of a sudden it was EASY to eat right. I DID NOT buy apple strudel. I DID NOT eat banana bread. I DID NOT sneak ice cream.

I ate a pork chop, a lamb chop, swiss chard, and curried cauliflower.

Then I went to bed early.

This morning I got up and started drinking tea and water. It was easy.

I would much rather be motivated by pleasant things. The desire to look good naked. Or in clothes. The joy of running (hah!). A compliment from my honey.

But for whatever reasons, those don't do it for me. Sometimes they even send me backwards. I can't imagine that the stress of fear is good for me, but it does get me going in the direction I want to be facing.

Now, how to get that effect, without dwelling on the negatives? Just as I tweaked my journal name, can I tweak my fear to turn it into a positive? I need to think on this.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    The tough thing is keeping the motivation once time has passed. I "Know" that I am potentially killing myself slowly every time I eat sugar or grains, but that doesn't seem to stop me. Even if I landed in the ICU again, the fear effect would likely be only temporary. Same goes for the more pleasant motivators. I think I need to find a new motivation daily.

ecks is offline Senior Member
    Maybe it's time to sit down and reassess why you are doing paleo... Are you doing it to slow death or are you doing it to enhance life? It sounds like when life is good you stop caring about health and when you get a scare you ramp it up.
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

Ecks makes me think again.

I guess I do stop thinking about health when it is there. Even though it is in my prayers every night, I do not think about it during the day. I don't know that I want to. I selfishly want good health to just be a given. Unrealistic. Most good things need some time and effort expended on them. Why, why, why!?!

Man, it is hard being a grown-up!

Good food was eaten yesterday, and much lovely sleep was had. No exercise, and not enough water. I'm getting a charming sugar withdrawal headache, which I will choose to interpret as a good sign. I am going over to a friend's for dinner tonight, and I am bringing vegetables to share, and protein for myself, since I have advance warning that there will be pasta. These are all good things, yes, even the lack of exercise and sufficient water, because I noticed it, and yet they are not so overwhelming that I can't tackle them. Water by my side, and two walks planned for today. One of them has an exciting goal: 'The Art of Fermentation' is in at the library! Do I see homemade sauerkraut in my future? Yes, I do!

In exciting dachshund news: Weenie does fine sleeping on the bed. He does not, however, respond to William.

While walking yesterday (Where was I going? I can't remember. Oh, yes. Walking Littlest to the bus.) I started thinking about how the original idea of eating fat and protein to lose weight was so upside-down from what i had learned growing up. Thanks CW! And how many things there are on the forum, about people doing the opposite of CW, and starting to feel that EVERYTHING may just be a bill of goods.

Without going crazy, I thought it would probably be a good discipline to at least CONSIDER the possibility of looking at opposites for any situation one runs into.

Did I apply this to my current thought problem posed by Ecks? No, I did not. Instead, for some reason, I thought about the typical way in which we chart weight loss. Start at the upper left hand corner of the grid, and work your way down and to the right.

Now, if that were a financial chart, there would be some consternation. And in most areas of our lives, UP is better, right? So, I wonder what would happen to my mental picture, if I had my starting weight at the bottom, and was moving up to the smaller number? (Someone out there thought I was proposing to gain weight, I know it, so I had to add that in.)

Time to get out the graph paper and colored pencils!
    Last edited by Sabine; 07-14-2012 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Remembered where the heck I was walking!

Planks

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure." -Marianne Williamson

I was reading someone's journal. This is someone whose physical condition I greatly admire, so I was surprised when they posted how much they could do on planks. I was expecting a very high, impressive number, and I guess it IS impressive. I mean, this person is ultra-fit in other ways, there is no reason to suppose that their planks time is not the edge of what a human in that condition can accomplish. Just, it seemed so close to what I can do, and I always assumed my effort was rather paltry. My time is about 3/4 of theirs.

This leads to the rather alarming thought that I may be Wonder Woman in disguise.

If you can't do much, well, you don't have to feel bad about not doing much.

But if you can...you're just a slacker if you don't. Right?

I am always running up against examples of other people doing WAY more than I do. You accept abilities, proclivities, time constraints, values, all that, but when you get down to it, I have nothing beyond sloth preventing me from doing the basics of fitness. I have the time, I have the body in working order. I want to be healthy, even if I don't want to think about it.

I have a little acronym for sloth: Simple Laziness Obscures The Heart. It was a great help to me as a mantra when my children were little. I wanted to be a good mother, and show them what was in my heart, but I am a very lazy person. Well, I got over it, as far as my children and parenting are concerned. It helped me go the extra mile in something that was important to me. Maybe it is time to whip it out again.

And no, I haven't made the graph yet. I went to the grocery store, and started making a red onion tian instead. With a break for planks and journalling. I have decided to really try out this cookbook, and chose 6 recipes for vegetables to make this weekend!

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    So stealing your definition of SLOTH!
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    I love your SLOTH acronym. I'm stealing it too. And I like your graph idea very much. I think I will also steal that.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Coll is offline Senior Member
    That is a great acronym! I think I must stick that up on the cupboard etc to help me make good choices even when I don't feel like it... And yes! Why shouldn't we rise to greater heights as we lose fat! Love it
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 13 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 227 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." Robert Frost.

Eating and thinking (and doing planks!)

I'm glad y'all found liked that. And I am labeling my chart: Rising to Greater Heights! It looks wonderful, by the way. And with the way graph paper is laid out, the number at the very top just happens to be my pre-pregnancy weight. So getting to the top really will be taking me some place I haven't been in a long while. Just like summitting a mountain should.

Yesterday was all good food, good sleep, good movement(walking and that incredible planks trial-very sore this morning!), and plenty of water. I had a nice time with my friends, ate what I brought, and some of what they brought, and turned down the brownie-cinnamon frosted cake with polite regrets, but no real regrets in my heart. One glass of wine, and four glasses of water.

I had a little gas in the night, I think from the extra vegetables I've been eating. But I want to keep that level up. They are good for me, and they are delicious. How can you beat that? My gut flora will just have to adjust.

Made three recipes yesterday: a red onion tian(delicious!), green beans with onions and tomatoes(yet to be tried-bringing it to the meet-up today), and kale-beet green-cabbage gratin(divine- and all my friends loved it and had seconds, too!).

Still to be made: shredded zucchini with yogurt sauce, and baked celery and leeks. Guess those will have to wait until tomorrow, as I slept in late after a nice time with honey, and we're leaving in three hours to play more games with friends.

We've been doing that every weekend, and really enjoying it. I know we won't be able to do it as often once school starts, so I am grabbing hold with both hands and enjoying it now. I will REFRAIN from eating any of the things I shouldn't today, regardless of politeness. It is not worth it, to derail myself. Instead, I will smell everything and praise the deliciousness of its scent. Then eat my own stuff.

Okay, you know the formula: comedy = pain + time? There must be a way to spin that to remind me of my health pains in a funny way that I can use as a mantra to keep on the the straight and narrow when I am feeling good. I'll play around with it. Oh, Ecks, what have you started?

ecks is offline Senior Member
    :P Don't blame me! I'm just an innocent caveman!
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses