Page 71 of 435 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121171 ... LastLast

Thread: Show, then aid - Sabine page 71

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    Your journal is informative and fun to read, and we learn from it. It's a great sign, IMHO, that you're not reading it over and over. I think that would be an obsession! Keep going forward, and use your reflective time to relax and enjoy life -- something most of us on here really have to work toward. That's MHO, of course.

I guess it would be nice if we had obsessions that weren't food-related -- making quilts, knitting, sewing, wood carving, candle and soap making, growing beautiful flowers, reading, studying, animals, painting, remodelling, I don't know -- seems like obsessions are not so bad unless they harm us or someone else.

Sometimes, I think we work too hard and lose sight of the flowers and trees and bugs and smiles around us:-)

Wow! Your list of yummy, fatty foods is amazing. Haven't had mascarpone in ages. Good stuff, that.
    Last edited by lopisheep; 05-16-2012 at 11:11 AM.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    Also planning on making Thai cucumber salad.
    recipe please!

Smashed my finger in the closet door. Won't be typing for a while. See y'all soon.
    Ouch!!

So...anyone have thoughts? Stuff that has popped out at you, and you wonder why I just don't see it? I'd be interested to hear.
    Nothing jumps out at me...but I also wasn't looking
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Here's my version of Thai cucumber salad. I adapted it from a recipe in Dana Carpender's '500 Low-Carb Recipes'. The original recipe is fantastic, but I don't keep fresh ginger on hand that often. Also, I substitute Tabasco for the jalapenos, because I am not a spicy girl. Also, upped the amount of cucumbers, and well, you know what happens when you started twiddling with a recipe!

Thai Cucumber Salad

In your large salad bowl combine:
    1/2C rice vinegar
    1/2t salt
    1/4t pepper
    1T ground ginger
    1/2t Tabasco
    1T splenda or stevia
    2-3 cloves garlic, crushed

Whisk until the ginger is subdued. If you have sesame oil on hand, I like to toss in a shake or two.

Add:
    1/2 small red onion, cut into a fine dice
    4 American cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced or 3 English ones

Toss to combine ingredients. Let chill in the fridge for several hours before eating, tossing whenever you think of it. This is a salad that gets better with age, though you have to drain off some extra liquid after the first days. You know how cucumbers get.

Both of Dana's Low-Carb cookbooks have great vegetable recipes in them.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Thanks!
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    But I haven't read back over my whole journal, the way I meant to. It seems too daunting. Like I need a quiet space, a bunch of highlighters, and a pack of index cards.

So...anyone have thoughts? Stuff that has popped out at you, and you wonder why I just don't see it? I'd be interested to hear.
    Sometimes I go back to just a random old page to see what the conversation was at that point. Sometimes I find I said I would/wouldn't do something and I'm like oh yeah, or hey, I'm never doing that again, or I think my focus was on the wrong thing at that point.
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    I missed the "obsession" question. Sorry Sabine, I think that you are perfectly "normal" in a good way.
    Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Guess I'll just keep plugging away

Rats, I was kind of hoping y'all would say, 'why, yes, Sabine, we've noticed that you don't XYZ' and there would be the obvious thing that would make me lose three pounds a week!

A girl can dream!

I went out for lunch at Genghis Grill yesterday, and fifteen minutes after the meal was over, was hit with a headache. It was so abrupt in its onset that I really noticed. Usually, they creep up on me. Makes me wonder if there was something in the sauce that affected me. MSG? It hung on through the evening, and made my workout at the gym very lackluster. I was already skipping the weights so I wouldn't have to grip with my finger, and now my walking got super-slow. At least I was moving.

I've started tracking (a little) to get into the habit for after my fast. (In case you are not taking notes, I was planning another three day fast for sometime after Eldest's visit, and then to track my macros for a few weeks to see what the heck I am doing. The fast is coming up- probably will start on Saturday.) I was pleasantly surprised to see that on calorie counts, at least, I am a good estimator. My guess for breakfast on Tuesday:800. Actual number:795! I gave myself a gold star.

A surprise from yesterday is that five sausages and two eggs is still only 22grams of protein. I may be lower than I thought on the protein. I'm going to start playing around with Paleotracker, figuring it out ahead of time (that's the plan, at least).

Okay, here's what I did:

Up at 5:15
    Vitamins

8:30 8oz mushrooms
    1t coconut oil
    2C spinach
    1C brussel sprouts with bacon
    5 sausages
    2 eggs (fried in the sausage grease)

2:45 2 bowls at Genghis Grill, both with the tomato sauce and a little Dragon sauce
    beef and vegetables
    seafood, pineapple, and vegetables

8:30 1/2 apple
    2T almond butter
    1oz salami
    bite of steak fat

65 minutes of walking

Water: 10 glasses

Bed at 9:30

I'm getting faster typing with my finger held out of the way! Since I hunt-and-peck(even after three summers of typing classes), it works.

Coll is offline Senior Member
    Hunt-and-peck - ha ha ha! Love that, DH is a hunt-and-peck typist so will have to use that on him soon I love reading your journal ... nothing weird that I can see as far as your eating. (or anything else...lol) Just keep fiddling with your macros and hopefully you'll keep that fat coming off. Each of us is so unique in needs and likes that it really is up to us to figure out what works for us. I am in the throes of fiddling and like you, realising that some things don't have as much protein as I had hoped. Am going to pull out my organic whey powder and start adding that to a drink during the day to try and up my protein. Otherwise I just can't quite get to my protein goal at the moment. Figure I have it - might as well use it.
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 224.8 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Course I am really new at this so I should just stay quiet, but I have found that protein is the hardest to get right. It doesn't come in the nice neat packages like fat and carbs do. Protein likes to come with fat, and I find it hard to balance them the way I would like. At the end of the day, I find I haven't had enough protein and that is not as easy to correct as fat, which I can pour out of a bottle, or carbs - apple anyone? If only there were a protein apple! Luckily we eat a lot of fat on this diet or it would be impossible.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've even thought I should get some of that 99% fat-free! ground turkey (ugh, what's the point-give me some fat!) to add to my ground beef to up the protein while keeping the fat level. Surely if it is coated in some lovely beef fat, that will help with the taste.
    Right?
    Please, someone tell me I'm right. I find it hard to believe I used to eat that stuff all the time. It has ZERO taste.

Siobhan- You've inspired me. I stuck my computer up on a box to be standing instead of sitting. I share a computer, so it has to be something I can take down easily, but every little bit helps, right? If I can stand during the week days when the family is not sharing, that's a start.