Page 7 of 415 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Show, then aid - Sabine page 7

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    You can check your weight! I came up with a weigh twice a month rule, but it backfired because it just made my expectations of every weigh-in higher and therefore more disappointing during these plateau weeks. Just don't flip out if you weigh a little more - it could be so many things: More water and food still in your system, a different time of the month, if you've recently eaten more carbs you hold onto more water and if you're strength training, muscle gets heavier. And don't celebrate too soon. I think water is the biggest variable for me. I had a 7-pound change last week from 200 to 193 simply because I had been eating more carbs before and was on the rag.
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    MDA Journaling??? lol Awesome. Congrats on your first spambot! I wonder who else he's gotten b/c he's got 7 posts now.

Oh and I weigh daily (if I think about it) in the morning after I pee. So far this week, I'm done 3 lbs, but it's my first week, so the losses are expected to be pretty good. But if you feel smaller, that's great! What about taking your measurements instead of weighing? Maybe that will be enough for you until you allow yourself to weigh again.
    Last edited by jenn26point2; 03-09-2012 at 08:24 AM.

theprimalcajun is offline Senior Member
    Hi Sabine!! Great posts!! Sounds like you've been doing alot of thinking too!! I took 3 days 'off' while hiding in the back of the cave (see my journal) & didn't come to the forums. Big mistake. I need to read what my fellow tribe members are doing & feeling! It helps me deal with my own issues! So just like taking my supplements every day I must consider my buddies journals another "supplement" that I must take every day!!

thanks for posting all your thoughts & insights!!
    Goal: Don't worry be happy!

ecks is offline Senior Member
    As much fun as it is to see the daily instant results it's probably not good for our mindset later. It will eventually cause extra stress. If you came to MDA looking for a CW instant results diet you'll be disappointed. I fell into this trap myself. In the first month and a half I dropped 26 lbs so I continued to check the scale frequently (Sometimes in the morning and at night). unfortunately the high expectations to continue to drop it like it's hot (yes I went there) set me up for some disappointing weigh ins when I went from shape shifter to bite sized dropper. Where I was maintaining decent weightloss in the beginning I'm now down to about a pound and a half a week. Slow and steady, I'm more than happy watching the weight slowly. But weighing every day can become a stress on your progress. I find I lose a bit more if I don't touch the scale at all between sunday weigh ins. I find myself cheating all the time. Hell, I grabbed the scale yesterday and cheated. But when I give in and check i find those weeks to be smaller losses (I know, I know... I've already set myself up... for a bad one)
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

Sabine is offline Senior Member

Moving Slowly

Did a Primal Stroll around the Dallas Quilt Show this morning. Two and a half hours, of walking and watching. I feel like the watching makes it uber-primal. I imagine myself pacing through the forest, my eyes caught by bright berries, a paused rabbit, the flowers marking underground goodies. Just...all in quilt form.

When I read 'Neanderthin' for the first time I remember being struck by two of the hobbies he though suitable: bird watching and golf. Golf? But you are walking long distances, carrying things, and looking, engaging your brain, both by hunting for your target(be it ball or hole), and by calculating how to reach it.

So, now I can add trolling quilt shows to that list. And, I think, picking up trash by the side of the road. (No, not in company and wearing orange. I know you were wondering. Just as a good citizen. Really.)

theprimalcajun is offline Senior Member
    Sabine I envy you your stroll thru the quilt show! We have a local one here but its very small, but its still nice to look at the beautiful quilts. I really wanted to go to Houston last year but it didn't work out.

I hadn't heard of the book 'Neanderthin' so I googled it. Now I've added it to my amazon list!! Did you like it? I love to read...especially books on the paleo/primal lifestyle or books on nutrition. I'm reading Good Calorie Bad Calorie' by Gary Taubes right now.

have a great evening!
    Goal: Don't worry be happy!

PrimalCajun- I did think it was good, though it has been several years since I last read it, so I am short on specifics. Certainly not the detail of Mark's PB, but a good introduction to 'caveman eating'. A little bit of science, not much. Worth reading, if not keeping.
    The quilt show was great. I haven't been in several years, so it felt good just to immerse myself again. I went to the Houston show once, about 13 years ago, and it blew my mind. What an extravaganza! If I ever go there again, it will have to be for the full weekend to do it justice.
    I did go a little overboard on buying baskets at the show, but hey, they are primal, too! Hand-woven from elephant grass with goat skin handles. Since I have fallen in lust with them a couple of years ago, I have considered learning basket weaving my ownself, but the craftsmanship is so intimidating. I wonder how long it would take before I was more than adequate. These women/men/kids who are making them have serious weaving chops.

Back to three meals

Yesterday:
    Up at 5:30
    Vitamins

8:20 2 1/2 bacon
    2 eggs scrambled in
    butter
    1 C chard/kale casserole

2:15 salmon burger cooked in
    lard
    artichoke mayo
    1 1/2 C mixed veges- broccoli
    peapods
    water chestnut
    carrots in
    butter and dill

6:00 2 LARGE bowls and Genghis Grill
    beef and veg
    seafood and veg
    1 bite pomegranate mouse cheese cake (no crust!)

2 1/2 hours slow walking
    1 hour baking primal (hah!) brownies for tomorrow (an exercise of will and skill)

Bed at 9:00

Although I was not hungry in the morning, I made and ate a generous breakfast, since I was going to be out. It worked well. When we walked past the food court, I could smell the goodies without diving in. And when a lady peeled an orange as we were walking by (what a great smell that orange-burst is!), I just thought, 'mmm', without wishing I had snuck a snack into my purse, too.

We had dinner out with the children as a little celebration for a recent windfall (I know, only a few days since I was complaining about money, but not enough of a windfall for a new car. Dinner out, that's it). Lots of good food, and even conversation. Yay! (This is not always a given with children, as all parents know.)

Sugar Binge successfully avoided

I'm proud of myself. First, here's what happened:

Up at 5:30
    Vitamins

10:20 1/2 C multi-stock

1:30 Niwatori slaw- made with
    chicken breast
    cabbage
    toasted almonds
    toasted sesame seeds
    rice vinegar
    sesame oil
    olive oil
    salt, pepper, splenda
    Wendy's chili
    tomato wedge, avocado slice
    slice cheddar
    1 celery with
    hummus
    spinach salad with
    ginger peanut dressing
    6 shrimp with
    cocktail sauce
    2 valentino brownies (bittersweet chocolate, butter, eggs)

4:00 another valentino brownie

5:00 another valentino brownie
    1 C niwatori slaw
    1 rotisserie chicken leg

Bed at 9:30

I had a potluck with friends planned, so I just sipped some broth in the morning when I started feeling hungry. That held me pretty well.

At the potluck I took plenty of what I brought, and a little of what the others did. There were some non-primal things, legumes and sugar mostly, but really, not too bad. I DID NOT eat the corn muffins, cupcakes, crackers, mystery casserole with condensed soup binder, pizza, 17 more brownies. Success number one.

As the potluck was winding down, I ate another of the brownies I brought. Not because I was hungry, but just because...well, my sugar cravings had been wound up, I guess. Amazing how quickly that can happen.

Back at home I found myself stuffing another brownie in my face, not even savoring it the way I had the first, but actually STUFFING it in whole and almost swallowing without chewing!

Here's success number two. Alarms bells went off in my head. I saw what I was doing, and sat down and ate a large bowl of slaw and a chicken leg- protein, fats, and some good carbs. Then I went to another room and did some reading and sewing. When friend with pizza showed up at 6:00, I stayed out of the room until the pizza was GONE. Then I emerged and was social.

Success number three: I went to bed without eating any more brownies. I was thinking of them, but the slaw and chicken were enough to keep me away from them. This morning I have no desire for brownies.

Happy dance all over the place.

I also resisted pleas to stay up just a little bit longer to watch a show, and went to bed on time. Woke up with the extra hour of sleep I can usually get on Sundays, feeling GREAT.

ecks is offline Senior Member
    Woo!! Sounds like you're in the place where you can start thinking more primal with that you eat. I really hope you don't think of the brownies as cheating or anything though- you should think of them as your primal need for indulgence and just recognize (as you did) the need for self control and the need to nourish yourself with more nutrient rich foods. I'm proud of you!

On a sidebar... you HAVE to try pizza with a meat crust. This was a good transition food for me. Either in a pie plate or a cookie sheet- roll out some spiced ground beef... cook it to 75% cooked. top it with sauce and your fave pizza toppings (if you're allowing yourself cheese just make sure it's a nice high quality cheese with as few ingredients as possible). Bake it the rest of the way and enjoy. It's better than the pizza you locked yourself away from in taste, satisfaction, and nutrition!
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

Page 7 of 415 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast