Page 5 of 417 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Show, then aid - Sabine page 5

jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    Jenn, thanks for reading.
    I'm very jazzed that someone was attracted by the title of my journal. I tend to be verbally enthusiastic when I find out something that interests me, and I can go on and on. Not such a good impression when I am still eating crap and pudging around.
    One of my little fantasies is that someday, when I am fit and healthy, people will ask me how I did it, and THEN I can talk like crazy. It is very hard keeping it low key, but I am also the type of person who does well with secrets. Having it bubbling inside me gives me extra energy, I think. So I am trying to think of living primally as a delicious secret, ripening with age, that I can spring on people later.
    Do you do a journal?
    I don't have a journal yet. I'm struggling to find a title that I'll enjoy. lol

I'm the same way. I've wanted to tell people over and over again that this approach is bad or that approach is ineffective and they should try a different approach, but when I don't stick to the approaches I'm advocating, it's hard for them to take me seriously - which is precisely why I haven't reached for any nutrition certification or coaching certification or anything like that b/c who's going to take a fat trainer seriously? ya know?

ecks is offline Senior Member
    Hey Jenn, My concern with eating whenever food was available is that food is much more readily available now to us. How do we gage when it's ok and when it's not if it's always a fingertip away? through the ages eating has always been something that has been done as a group and never individually. The members of a community that were sent to get food didn't find it and eat it they would have gathered enough for everyone then brought it back and then eaten it as a group. I do fully believe that hunters would have waited for a meal time.

Don't forget that a couple "berries" here or there is why most of us are on this blog
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

I mean literally, a couple of berries here and there. Like if I set a serving of berries on my desk and snack on them as the day goes by. I guess my question is whether or not the 2-3 hours of fasting between meals is necessary.

Sabine is offline Senior Member

Noooooooooo!

By that I mean, no, my advice would be to not graze.

For me, I find that if I am making my blood sugar go up too often, I am setting myself up for some cravings. Depending on how out of whack your system is, a few berries might do it. Why take the risk?

Especially in the beginning of the program, when your system is still recovering from a conventional diet. If you are going to eat between meals, because your hunger is calling for food, I would make it a protein or fat snack, before you consider anything carbohydrate, and vegetables before fruits. That would satisfy your stomach and your brain, without setting up a situation that's hard to get out of.

After a month, you might try it, although, after a month, you may not want to any more.

Have you see 'Fathead' or 'Fat Fiasco' by Tom McNaughton? He explains the insulin response really well. Not just for weight gain, but the damage we are doing to our bodies (besides fattening them) by eating things that humans just shouldn't. I believe they are both available on youtoube and netflix. I bought my own copies, because I watch them over and over, learning a little more each time. he also has a website.

theprimalcajun is offline Senior Member
    Hi Jenn! Welcome to the tribe!! There is some info on Mark's blog about IF (intermittent fasting)...its a good thing! From some of the things I've read your body needs time between meals to process what's been eaten. If you eat continually you don't give your digestive system time off so to speak. And you'll find as you progress further along that you won't need to snack. If you're eating enough protein. Nothing I have read so far seems to favor "grazing". Let us know when you get your journal up & running so we can help you with questions & problems you run in to. This is an amazing community of support!!

Sabine you are doing so great!!! I loved this..."So I am trying to think of living primally as a delicious secret, ripening with age, that I can spring on people later." LOL that's great!!
    Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Using my brain

I am finishing a home project today, putting up quarter round trim around our walls to finish the flooring I put in 2 1/4 years ago.

This is not my forte. But I am determined. If this were ten thousand years ago, I'm guessing the mental equivalent would be making a crafty dead-fall trap to get that opossum that keeps coming round the home-site. The results will be so worth it.

One more super tricky part left, three fiddly bits, and one tedious but easy part.

But first some lunch.

i love doing home improvement projects and I love that Mark considers housework to be a form of exercise - allbeit movement. I love it. I am loving this lifestyle already!

Opposum caught- roasting over the fire

It was very satisfying to get my project done. The feeling of accomplishment really can't be beat.

Yesterday:
    Up at 5:30
    Vitamins

8:20 2 1/2 bacon
    2 eggs fried in
    butter

12:45 2 slices meatloaf with
    mustard
    2 C leftover veges heated in
    olive oil

3:45 apple
    almond butter
    rotisserie chicken leg

6:00 tilapia dipped in
    egg, then coated with
    coconut flour, salt, pepper, dill, ginger and fried in
    butter topped with
    shrimp
    coconut milk
    lemon juice
    lettuce
    buttermilk ranch dressing

Bed at 8:30 (fell asleep on the couch!)

No sun time, no exercise besides wrestling with floor trim

Had four meals yesterday, when I turned my snack into a meal by adding a chicken leg. I just looked at my apple and almond butter, and said, 'nope, that isn't going to do it.'

A non-primal issue- or is it?

My family is middle-class. We live in the suburbs, my husband works and I am a stay-at-home mom with the odd side-job. We are VERY lucky.

But we are also surrounded by people who are doing much better than we are.

Lately, I have just been envious. This does not fit in with my self-image, so I've been feeling down about my 'pettiness'.

I've tried to redirect my emotions, by telling myself, 'what you envy, is what you want. Go after it,' but there is just no way. We have lost 1/4 of our income over the past two years, and our last period of unemployment wiped out our savings. Getting kids through college is the main priority, but it doesn't magically turn off the desire for a better vehicle, buying treats, having a vacation.

Sigh.

Ten thousand years ago, there was probably not much a person couldn't want, and get, if they worked at it, environment allowing. The tasks that needed to be performed to get the things you wanted, were all attainable by just about everybody. I have a few 'survival' type skills: I know I could learn and get proficient at any others I chose to, given the time.

Society now is so much more complicated. The investment in learning skills is such that I cannot be my own plumber AND electrician AND roofer AND car builder AND professor. I must choose.

Every money-making opportunity cuts down on other opportunities. My family has gained a lot by having me at home. But when the economy is scary, having one income gets more stressful. We are no longer certain that a job can be found anytime.

How did primal man deal with envy? I have no desire to slay my friends (or enemies) to take their goods. I cannot build the things I envy. I am unwilling to give up that of my time which is benefiting my family.

So, I guess, I just need to suck it up. Look on the bright side. Be grateful.

I still wish I had a car that got more than 12 miles to the gallon.
    Last edited by Sabine; 03-07-2012 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Spelling!!

ecks is offline Senior Member
    This should help. I hope... I tend to find that when I'm feeling like I can't get ahead a little perspective helps.

Global Rich List
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

Page 5 of 417 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast