Page 4 of 418 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Show, then aid - Sabine page 4

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oh, TeamOberg! Coconut cream concentrate! Just the sound of it makes me want to drive to Whole Foods Market RIGHT NOW!

Jenn, thanks for reading.
    I'm very jazzed that someone was attracted by the title of my journal. I tend to be verbally enthusiastic when I find out something that interests me, and I can go on and on. Not such a good impression when I am still eating crap and pudging around.
    One of my little fantasies is that someday, when I am fit and healthy, people will ask me how I did it, and THEN I can talk like crazy. It is very hard keeping it low key, but I am also the type of person who does well with secrets. Having it bubbling inside me gives me extra energy, I think. So I am trying to think of living primally as a delicious secret, ripening with age, that I can spring on people later.
    Do you do a journal?

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    I have tried to find coconut cream without added crap in all my local stores, no luck. Next stop, the web.

Thanks for the journal shout out, Sabine.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

ecks is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    One of my little fantasies is that someday, when I am fit and healthy, people will ask me how I did it, and THEN I can talk like crazy. It is very hard keeping it low key, but I am also the type of person who does well with secrets.
    I've already tried explaining how I'm making progress... no one believes me that I've gotten this far eating more fat
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

You're crushing me ecks, you're crushing me.

But I know you are right.

I have a very thin friend, who eats a standard low-fat diet. When I first lost weight she was very pleased for me, until she discovered I did it by going low-carb. Then she could only talk about how I was killing myself. After I gained the weight back (and though the 'trigger' was a piece of candy, I did not only eat candy to get those 30 pounds plus back. No, most of it was bread, tortillas, and pasta, and good-old legumes) she told me how disappointed she was that I had let myself go again, and see, she knew that low-carb couldn't work. Now, if I would just eat sensibly like she did.

Yes, amazingly, we are still friends, but only because I am too meek to let rip.

Now I am losing weight again. When she notices, I am just going to keep my mouth shut about how I am doing it. She doesn't want to hear, not really.

But maybe, someday, someone will.

Hey! I can be your friend that understands . Believe it or not the person who got me started on the paleo eating lifestyle is a buddy of mine who has always been fairly healthy. He's probably 150-160lbs or so (so a very slender dude) but definitely got my attention with the healthy eating lifestyle. Just over 3 months and 43lbs off. This is the lightest I've been in 3 years (and I'm lucky enough that I've gotten to say that at every Sunday weigh in for the past few weeks).

Regardless of it all I have faith that you can do amazing things. We've all been blessed with the MDA forums because lets face it- the only way a crazy diet would work is if we had the support of other crazies!

On a side bar, within my first week of trying paleo I started doing some research on MDA and came across this article.

The Best Way to Get Diabetes: Follow the Diabetes Dietary Guidelines | Mark's Daily Apple

It's a 2 parter essentially and you need to read the article and all of the associated links. This one hit home for me because my dad was diagnosed with diabetes shortly after working his way down to 140 on his doc's recommendation of a CW diet. Also because I was showing signs of diabetes myself (which by the way cleared up within 3 weeks of going primal) this made sense to me. I find it's a great starting point for the "why" and the explanation of logic when going primal- especially to all of the haters and doubters.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt

Hungry all day

Yesterday was a strange day in terms of hunger levels. I got hungry about an hour after rising, but it wasn't convenient to eat for a couple hours. Same with lunch and dinner: I got hungry a while before I could eat. In all three cases, I felt the hunger, realized I wasn't going to be eating soon, put up with it...and then forgot about it.

Being hungry used to be a nightmare. I worried about it happening, ate pre-emptively sometimes, and went crazy with 'loss-of self-control/willpower' if it did happen.

Am I getting back to that zone of not obsessing about food all the time? I remember that place. How lovely it was. Here's hoping. Or maybe it would be better to say, here's getting there!

(Spell-check tells me I am spelling 'pre-emptively wrong, but I can't figure out how else to spell it, and I am not trudging for the dictionary right now. It stays. Besides, it looks fine to me, even with the red squiggle under it.)

Yesterday:
    Up at 5:00
    Vitamins

8:30 2 eggs scrambled in
    coconut oil
    1/3 C shepherd's pie leftovers
    1/6 tomato
    1T salsa

1:40 salmon burger with
    artichoke mayo
    2/3 C mixed greens (canned)
    2 chicken wings (leftovers) with
    buttermilk ranch dressing
    3 strawberries

7:00 2 slices meatloaf (veal, beef, pork, onion, carrot, celery, parsley, eggs)
    bacon grease
    1T A-1 sauce (need to do my homemade version)
    veges- broccoli, peapods, red bells sauteed in
    walnut oil
    1/3 C raspberries

Bed at 9:15

15 minutes of sunlight while mowing
    15 minutes of jogging with the dogs

Ecks- I'll check out that link. Thanks. I do have diabetes in my family on the maternal side, as well as alcoholism. I've always been careful about my drinking because of that. One of my 'rules' is, if you feel like you really NEED a drink, you can't have it! Only drinking when you don't really care! I wonder why I never thought of diabetes with the same concern? (Until smartening up recently, that is?) I suppose it is the whole 'short-term pleasure versus long-term results' concept that we humans have such a hard time with.

Sounds like you're accessing the primal side to your hunger. The one that goes "there's no food so there's no hunger". Biologically speaking humans likely didn't have access to breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. At times when there is no food (or in your case no time for food) your brain goes "No can do stomach" and stomach responds with an "ok... I'll come back later". This is a simple way of putting it really. Your liver in the process is breaking down some of your fat stores and producing enough energy to hold you off until the next meal. It's a backup system though don't go starving yourself or anything .

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I noticed insane hunger yesterday too. I figured it was because it was day one on the PB plan and that my body was actually hungry for the massive amounts of sugar I usually fed it starting first thing in the morning. Now today has been fine.

I also noticed that hunger goes away more quickly, even though I'm only on day 2... maybe that's just a fluke.

Tell me, is it better to graze all day long on little bits of food or to break it up into meals? My thinking is that as our ancestors were trudging across the lands, if they came across some berries, they'd eat a few and move on, and eat a few from the next bush, and so on. Is this possible or do you suppose they actually held out until "lunch time" to eat? Surely they would eat when it was possible, when the food was available, etc, so grabbing a couple berries here and there would be fine, right?

Page 4 of 418 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast