Page 36 of 417 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast

Thread: Show, then aid - Sabine page 36

Sabine is offline Senior Member

The fast is ending

Shop Now
    My honey needed the computer for work yesterday, so I wasn't able to post in the evening.

Lex- The idea for a multi-day fast came from some additional reading I have been doing, on cell recuperation while fasting. I am pretty sure that my years of eating SAD have affected my health. Weight gain as the easiest to see indicator, but gradually rising blood pressure, general blood sugar symptoms(don't want to make sure I am getting all the terms right, but you probably know what I mean), little skin problems, fatigue, allergy-like issues. And who knows what's going on inside, that I am in generally good enough condition to mask. So the idea of letting my body/cells heal themselves is VERY appealing. I'll be watching how I am feeling AFTER the fast, to consider whether I might like to do this as a regular thing.

Candy-I planned for a three-day (at least 72 hour) fast, to end on Saturday afternoon/evening or Sunday morning if I felt I could go that long. I was doing fine yesterday about 5pm, so I decided to wait until this morning. I still feel very good, but I am sticking to the plan. In a few minutes I will be having some bone broth with pesto in it.

Ecks-I am not doing this to hasten weight-loss, though I sure wouldn't mind it if that happened. That said, you might like to read the article about fasting in this month's Harper Magazine. Among other things it covers fasting for weight-loss(that's why the modern day author is doing it), and I'm thinking that CW might be giving fasting for weight-loss a bad rap, just as so many other things. I definitely thinking it is worth learning more about.

I still had hunger yesterday, on and off, which I found mentally annoying. I thought I would get to the magical spot where you just aren't hungry anymore. I guess three days isn't long enough for that for me. But I was very pleased that I could banish thoughts of hunger and food so easily. Yesterday I made dinner for my family and stuffed Easter eggs with treats, and the only time I was really tempted, strangely enough, was when I was cutting up the raw chicken.

Had one episode of light-headedness, not bad, went away after sitting down a bit. After my morning bubble-head feeling, I had a VERY clear mind, and started feeling FANTASTIC. Got a lot done during the day. Then felt very tired in the evening, but whether that was from fasting, or staying up later the night before is a toss-up (yes, 10:00pm IS later for me!).

This was yesterday:

Up at 6:30
    Vitamins
    Water: 16 glasses
    50 minutes walking
    Bed at 9:00

I am drinking regular water, mineral waters, and electrolyte water(lemon juice, salt, sweetener added). I am finding it is extra delicious.

Okay, off to have my broth!

theprimalcajun is offline Senior Member
    Sabine after you mentioned that article in a post a while back I went all over town looking for that Harper's magazine. Couldn't find it. Also went to their website to see if I could read the article there but you have to have a subscription to their magazine to be able to access it. Real bummer! I found a Harper's Bazarre magazine but its not the same thing. Does that Harper's magazine you have come out monthly or bimonthly or what? I may wait until the next issue comes out & then order a back issue.

great job on the fast! Glad that it worked for you. I will probably start a 24 hour fast starting after supper tonight. After the last couple of days my digestive system needs a rest!! lol

Hoppy Easter!!
    Goal: Don't worry be happy!

It comes out monthly. I found mine at Barnes & Noble. You might call around to the different branches near you. It is in the general interest section. I found it very interesting, with his personal story, and some historical uses of fasting.

Eating again.

Finally, something to write under food. Water: X# glasses, was a little tedious! Here's what I ATE yesterday:

Up at 6:00
    Vitamins
    6:30 1C broth with
    1T pesto

9:30 ~4oz lox
    ~1 oz cream cheese
    capers

1:30 1 1/2C chicken and
    broccoli stir fry
    horseradish mustard sauce (5gC)
    4 strawberries

5:30 1 1/2 beef patties with
    colby jack and bleu cheese
    1T A-1 sauce
    slice of tomato
    1/4 avocado
    sweet potato with
    2T butter
    2 squares dark chocolate

Water: 12 glasses
    30 minutes walking

Bed at 9:00

I was not hungry in the morning, and can see why it is a good idea to determine ahead of time when you are going to break the fast. I feel I could have easily convinced myself, 'why not one more day?' And one more, and one more. Still not hungry for lunch, but felt I wanted to re-establish the idea of eating. A LITTLE hungry at dinner, so I indulged my appetites( mental and physical).
    Decided to track my water and try to keep it up in at least the 12 glass range for the next few days. Usually I am at around 8 glasses.

I was surprised that I still felt hungry every day. I had thought the hunger suppressing mechanism would kick in.

I am kind of amazed that I did the whole three days. When I set the goal, I wasn't sure if I would cave before the end, and was counting on publicly stating helping me keep to it. But keeping to it wasn't that hard. Having plenty to keep myself occupied was probably a big help: I didn't spend much time thinking about food. Except for a strange cookbook reading incident on Saturday evening.

Do I notice any sense of improved well-being? Well, I felt fantastic Saturday during the day. Clear-headed and energetic. That was very nice. A skin tag on my face dried up and fell off spontaneously. That's never happened before. Thank goodness, too. I don't like skin tags, but put up with the few I have, except if they appear in 'public areas'. Can't stand that. The last one which appeared on my neck a few years ago, I removed the old-fashioned way, by tying off, and it took a few days. This one popped up and fell off over the course of the fast, very quickly. If it wasn't too fanciful, I would imagine it was almost like a violent detox on my face. "Here's something yucky, let's get rid of it!' Up, out, off, super-quick! Probably just coincidence, but I noticed it, so I'm writing it down.

I had anticipated starting eating again would 'set me off'. I was ready to have a hard time restraining myself, meant to do small meals every two hours to ease into it. Well, I ate that broth,and nothing happened. Forgot about eating two hours later, and ended up eating at our regular breakfast with the family. Wasn't hungry, but it did TASTE good. Then...forgot about food again. Finally ate after four hours because I thought I should. Had the tiniest bit of hunger for dinner, and was glad to feel it. I'll be curious to see what my hunger pattern is over the next few days.

Now, back to what passes for normal around here.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations on completing your fast. You are stronger than me, that is for certain! I hope you notice some significant changes in how you feel over the next day or two after the reintroduction of food.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Triumph to Tragedy, or My Pants Bite Me in the Butt

It is hard to find a pair of pants that fit correctly, especially at the thrift store. So when I started shrinking out of my black jeans I did what any self-respecting tightwad would: I took them in.

One dart in the back, first. Then two matching ones in the front. Then a second one in the back. Then deepening the ones in the back.

I have been wearing these jeans every morning for my weigh-in at the store. (And as a side note, I realized since I am being socially acceptable, and wearing clothes for my public weigh-ins, that means I would weigh LESS if I weighed at home naked, which is what I used to do. WOOOOO!) Being the schlub that I am, wearing these pants in the morning, usually means I am wearing them for the rest of the day, too.

I've had a backache the last two days. Was thinking it might be 'fasting lumbago', or my kidneys dealing with the increased water, or constipation, or who knows what.

This morning as I jumped into the car, I figured out what it is.

The enormous pleats of denim on the inside of the back of my jeans are pressing on me with vigor. No wonder.

Time to suck it up, and buy a new (used) pair.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    I'm impressed that you know how to sew pleats.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    The enormous pleats of denim on the inside of the back of my jeans are pressing on me with vigor. No wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    I'm impressed that you know how to sew pleats.
    me too
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

longing2bfit is offline Senior Member
    Sabine~congrats on the completeion of the fast.. Three day fasts are my favorite, and usually I am not hungry by the third day althugh it takes almost 40plus hours for hunger to even kick in! lol.. Then I always figure it looks around and sees all the stored fat and is like duh? never mind! we're good!hahahah...

I will add my awe to those about the sewing of pleats!!

If I could only tailor, I'd be set. But I am limited to the simple things.
    Also noticed yesterday that a skirt I haven't worn since last summer, when it was tight around my hips, is pleasantly loose.