Page 310 of 424 FirstFirst ... 210260300308309310311312320360410 ... LastLast
Results 3,091 to 3,100 of 4233

Thread: Show, then aid - Sabine page 310

theprimalcajun is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Interesting Sabine. I have read about this in some other books & things I've read...more along the line of thought that this is similar to an "elimination" diet. When mil had the allergy blood test done they gave her a big brochure that had a lot of the food families listed & she was supposed to do something along the lines of what you mentioned. Did she? Ummm no. It was just to hard & confusing for her. Whatever.

What caught my eye was that it takes approx 4 days for a food (or the effects?) to leave the body. This would explain so much! Why it takes so long after, say eating anything with gluten...it takes so long to get rid of the inflammation it causes. So you eat gluten one day...don't for a few days & then eat something with it again...the body hasn't recovered yet from the first time so now you've just blasted yourself with it again. & if this happens frequently you are just going in circles. This would be the case with any food that you might be sensitive too. Very interesting stuff!!! I'll look forward to hearing more!

Is Terry Wahls the lady that cured herself from, was it MS? Seems like last year I watched a video from someone that cured themselves from a debilitating disease by nutrition....can't remember now. I'll have to see if my library has a copy of her book. I think this is a very interesting topic...I'm always digging for the "why" of something. Right now it's the why's of why I can't seem to lose any weight no matter what I try! 😉. I lose & gain the same 5 pounds over & over.

You really have to play detective in this game of healing oneself. Another reason I love reading the journals, there's so much insight to be learned from everyone else's struggles. Cause we are all struggling...some more than others of course.
    Last edited by theprimalcajun; 10-17-2013 at 07:17 AM.
    Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Yes, that is the lady. I would definitely watch the TED video before reading the book(it is kind of dry in the science parts) since I think her talk gives you a good understanding. Then, when you read the book, it is not hitting you with all these disparate details without a context to fit them into.
    I don't know if she considers herself CURED, but she has radically improved her health, that's for sure. No more wheelchair, she can ride her bike, and walk, and THINK. And of course, big reduction in pain.

theprimalcajun is offline Senior Member
    Yup that's her! I will go back & watch the video again. I remember I was seriously impressed with what she was able to accomplish. If the book is too "science-y" then it will lose me. My eyes glaze over when it gets to bogged down. lol. Gotta keep it in laymans terms for me to follow it!
    Goal: Don't worry be happy!

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Dr. Terry Wahls still practices medicine in Iowa City - just 30 minutes from my hometown.

Do you have a link to her TED talk? I think I'd like to read her books too. I haven't done any reading for quite a while. Might be time to pick it up again.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Minding Your Mitochondria: Dr. Terry Wahls at TEDxIowaCity - YouTube

This is where I found it. I've re-watched it a couple of times.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks!

ETA: That was great! I am sharing it all over facebook! Pushing that my friends take 17 minutes of their life to watch it - especially those with autoimmune illnesses and made special mention that she's a local doctor so that hopefully they'll be more inclined to watch it. The University of Iowa is pretty prestigious around here and if you can mention Iowa City when bringing up health related stuff or what someone with knowledge has said, you'll usually turn a few heads. I'm hoping a few friends will watch it - most preferably my MIL. I have other friends with issues, but she's the one I want to most influence with this kind of info.

Thank you so much for sharing.
    Last edited by jenn26point2; 10-17-2013 at 09:42 AM.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

RMS123 is offline Senior Member
    I was pretty inspired by her talk when I first watched it.

I think she's on to something about spacing out your foods. Great way to get variety and hopefully not build up an intolerance. Of course, I have limited veggies selections, because [I attempt] to eat seasonally and then fill in with frozen...so don't know if I could actually do it.

Keep us posted on what you learn and your own experiment.

Yesterday:

Up at 5:30

8:00 3 bacon, 2 eggs, kale with pancetta

1:00 fish, rice, seaweed, cream cheese

2:00 strawberry ice cream

3:00 chocolate chips

6:15 lamb chops, cauli-cheese, 1/2 sweet potato, 2 bacon-wrapped shrimp, cheesecake

Water: 8 glasses

Bed at 9:30

It has now been over three weeks since I last washed my hair. For the first time I have noticed it feeling/looking greasy. I am brushing with a natural bristle brush to distribute the oils and am getting ready to ride out what might be a 'gross' period. When I sling rollers into my hair, though, it looks great. And holds the curl for a long time. I have to keep telling myself that just because I am used to the dry, frizzy look, does not mean that if it looks 'sleek' it is wrong.

I started writing out all the different food groups yesterday. I need to make a huge chart, I guess, and plan out what a rotation would look like. One web page that was discussing the rotation, talked about how people 100 years ago probably did this naturally, because one day you had beef, the next chicken, the next lamb, the next, eggs, etc, and you just ate the leftovers for lunch the next day, then didn't have that again for a week. And your vegetables, though maybe repeated for days or weeks in a row, did they same thing because of eating seasonally. Yes, you had berries all the time in the summer, but then they were GONE, and no more until next year.

I'm thinking I will have to save my booch for Down Days again, and maybe just every other Down Day. Have to think of what I will do on my other Down Day. Maybe one liquid Down Day(booch) and one with food. But if I can't have that food group on the other days, it has to be something good enough that it will make the Down Day as special as booch, but not so special that I miss having more than 500K of it on Up Days. Aarrgghhh!! Thinking!

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    for me, historically, it makes more sense that you would eat locally and seasonally, but don't think that would be any easier to plan out than what you are looking to do here.

Yikes!

I use chai tea to make my booch. In service of this rotation thing, I looked at the ingredients.

Tea- team family
    Ginger- ginger family
    Cinnamon- iris family
    Black pepper- pepper family
    Cardamom- ginger family
    Star anise- parsley family
    Cloves- myrtle family

One tea, six families. Most of them are no problem. I can refrain from using pepper in anything else, if I have to. But the parsley family, in addition to various spices, also contains carrots, celery, and parsnips!

If I use this tea, that means I cannot use carrots or celery for anything else! Or, that I have to eat them at the same time I have my booch. Not practical.

This could get tricky.

I have the option, of course, of saying to myself, they are such miniscule amounts. SURELY it won't matter. But if it does, and this does not help my gut, how will I know if I have really tried the system?

Now, I do not think I have issues with any of these families. So, I will finish off the booch I have. But, I will also buy some less complicated tea to use for future batches.

Onward!