Page 309 of 416 FirstFirst ... 209259299307308309310311319359409 ... LastLast
Results 3,081 to 3,090 of 4154

Thread: Show, then aid - Sabine page 309

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    So it has taken 40 years of trying to lose weight to figure that out.

Also, Sabine, your suggestion to keep a second tracker is what made all the difference. I have a tracker that keeps my lowest weights, so it is just a downward graph. Then I have one that keeps every day's weight. It, as it turns out, is also a downward graph, but more of a roller coaster ride. These 2 have made all the difference in being able to avoid that tweaking monster. That and finding a program I can live with for life.

For me, I just know I cannot do without some specific thing for the rest of my life, so doing 2 to 3 days of severe restriction and allowing the occasional treat is the answer.

But it has taken 45 years and gaining 100 pounds to ask the right question and allow myself to hear and use the answer.

theprimalcajun is offline Senior Member
    Great post demuralist!! I've been overweight for about 38 years. The things that worked for me in my younger years don't work now. So trying to figure it all out gives one a headache after awhile!! 😉. A very long time ago (in a galaxy far far away) when I worked in high school...one of the ladies at work went on a diet. She watched what she ate carefully during the week...& then allowed herself the weekend to eat what she wanted...within reason of course. Granted she didn't have a lot to lose(maybe 20-25 lbs) but she did lose it that way. Hubby had a cousin that was about 50 lbs overweight & she lost it all by sticking to portion sizes & counting calories. (She's tiny tiny now!) So I think there is no right or wrong way. It's whatever way works for you. Having said that...I do love reading what everyone is doing...as that sparks perhaps a new way of thinking. It's a matter of trial & error. Lots of trial & error! 😉
    Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Yep all trial and error. I just wish I had had a little less error!

When I was younger, I thought every guy I dated was the one. Then I met the future Mr deMuralist and I knew it was different and he really was the one. I feel the same way about doing my 5:2/4:3 plan. I have done other plans that I thought were it but this one is the one. I know it is different. And that feels so good, finally.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

Yup...more trial...less error please!!! 😉 You mentioned two trackers that you use...would you mind sharing what you use? I'm a very visual person & I like using "visual aids" to show progress & help keep me focused. You've obviously been able to customize them to fit your needs. I'm currently using 'Lose It' on my phone & the iPad & it's ok...but always looking for something better.

I use MyFitnessPal. On their check-in page you can add any thing you want to add to track. So I added one for my "up day weights". MFP graphs all of the things you track. So on the column for weights I only put in weights that are lower than the last entry (my "low weights"). But in the "up days weights" I actually track my weight every time I get on the scale.

I am a little obsessed, I admit. So I also track my low weights in the progress tracker for the 5:2 forum. Which by the way is, I think by far the best tracker of any I have used. Its free also. Then I also track my low weights on a free app on my iphone called "healthcare" and I like it as well it has a nice graph.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

Just googled 5:2 diet & read some. Do you have a favorite link? And a link to the progress tracker? I didn't see anything. Very similar it looks like to alternate day fasting, but I like the only 2 day aspect of it. Gonna read some more...& see if the library has the book.

http://www.52fastdiet.co.uk/index.ph...5affe566cb209b

This is a wonderful forum, very nice people and lots of info on many variations of adf that these people are living. It is where the progress tracker is. She has been having some trouble with the forum in the past few days, but keep trying so worth it. She started the forum and makes no money on it.
    Chris
    Unknown

Thanks so much!! I'll check it out!

Sabine is offline Senior Member

In which Sabine runs off on a tangent

Sometime during the last year I watched Dr. Terry Wahls' TED video, called 'Minding My Mitochondria'. Very interesting to me, and though I did not immediately start eating nine cups of vegetables each day, I have been thinking it would be wise to(in addition to other things- she does not advocate vegetarianism).

So, when I saw her book of the same name at the library, I picked it up. Good stuff, not as engaging as her TED talk, I thought, but more in depth, and with recipes. In the back of the book, just tucked in, and not explained very well, was mention of a four-day rotation diet. This intrigued me, so I googled.

The basis is that foods are categorized by botanical families, and you only eat from any particular family once every four days. The time frame was hit upon by the doctor who developed the idea back in the 30s, as the length of time it takes for a food to completely leave your system once you've eaten it- any energy used up, any waste expelled.

Some families just have one food in them. The pineapple family, for example, is pineapple. Others have more. The lily family has asparagus, onion, chive, garlic, leek, etc. So if you had onion in your first meal on Day One, you could not have it, OR any other item from that family, for the next four days.

This method of eating is supposed to be good for a couple of things. One, isolating foods so that you can see which, if any, give you problems. Two, minimizing the opportunity for you to develop any problems from over-eating a food(frequency, not amount). Three, allowing for eventual, moderate consumption of a food that was previously a problem. There may be more, but that's what I have gleaned so far.

This seems like something worth exploring for me, given the working theory that my pains are from intestinal irritation. I've reduced them, but I still have them. Maybe a four-day rotation diet would give me more information.

It DOES seem like a big old pain in the butt to plan out, but it would be worth it, if I figured out the last of these pains and stopped them.

I've reserved a book from the library, and I'll cruise Half Price Books to see if they have anything on the subject.

Two things that struck me right off: I'll need to switch up the ingredients in my booch! Does this mean booch only once every four days! Oh, no, my booch!!! Where does tea fit, botanically, in any case? I could at least not put ginger into EVERY bottle.

And...this will make Down Days more of a challenge. Hmmm. I'll really have to plan them out. Heck, who am I kidding? I'd have to plan EVERYTHING out!

So, you may hear more from me about this.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    I'm sure you found this on your own, but here it is: Camellia sinensis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold