Page 297 of 415 FirstFirst ... 197247287295296297298299307347397 ... LastLast
Results 2,961 to 2,970 of 4147

Thread: Show, then aid - Sabine page 297

Sabine is offline Senior Member

A Double-Dip post

Shop Now
    This is copied from my journal on the lowcarbfriends forum. Didn't feel like rephrasing/retyping.

My weight went down after an Up Day...for the second time in a row. I'm wondering if this SNAP challenge is responsible. I HAVE been waking up hungry every morning.

In terms of the SNAP challenge, it makes me feel sorry for the people living like this. I do NOT like being hungry on a continual basis. Hunger when I am fasting, I expect, and since it goes away in cycles, I can live with. But waking up hungry EVERY morning? And feeling hungry at night too? Not cool. And I am eating a fairly satiating diet. How do those who are eating higher-carb, and having sugar crashes do it?

In terms of weight reduction, of course, I like the result. But, I will NOT be keeping on with it after this week. I would rather lose slower, and have a happy stomach/mind.

And there is always the background worry that if I am going down too quickly, something might be wrong. (Cancer! Intestinal! Thyroid! I have a good imagination.) At 1-2 pounds per week, with a stall now and then, I never feel that.

Something I am doing to deal with it: When I feel hunger, or sorrow that I can't have sour cream or cheese, or a handful of nuts, I say a prayer for those who live like this, or worse, every day. I am still so lucky. It is making the challenge a bit of a spiritual/solidarity exercise, and I like that.

And back to original content...

This is the second day I have been in the 160s. I am becoming quite insufferable about it, in my own mind at least. Prancing around, sucking in my stomach, preening. (Honey doesn't seem to mind.) I'm sure I will get used to it. Or even be smacked down with a bump back into the 170s for a while, but right now I am really enjoying it. I even got my aspirational size 12 jeans out and tried them on. And....they zipped!

Today I am wearing my fish capris. I figure I better get some use out of them before they get too baggy. For those who don't keep every detail of my past posts in the forefront of their minds, I bought these during my shopping spree when I hit my mid-point, 178 ponds. That was back at the beginning of July. They have some stretch to them, and fit very nicely. Now they are loose.

Last night I was feeling sad about not being able to have some sour cream with my pork in green sauce. It was a little dry- not enough fat in the cut. Then I remembered I had some cream cheese that I bought for creamed spinach, and threw a glob of that on. Not quite the same, but it made a nicer mouth feel, and I was happy.

I DID resort to spending 75 cents of my leftover $1.71 for a box of sugar-free jello. Mentally, I REALLY wanted a treat, and that was what I could afford. I made three cups of it, and told Honey and Littlest to STAY AWAY. It's mine! They complied, eating some vanilla ice cream. Strangely, I felt no victory.

Days 2 and 3 of the SNAP challenge

Day 2

Up at 5:45

6:00pm booch

9:00 tea

Water: 10 glasses
    Walking: 50"
    Sun: not really
    Pains: 7

Bed at 10:00

Day 3

Up at 5:30

8:15 1/2lb ground beef in patties
    2 fried eggs

3:00 3 cups meat and veg soup

6:30 pork in salsa verde over
    leftover cauli-rice
    with a glob of cream cheese
    coleslaw
    diet jello

Water: 10 glasses
    Walking: no
    Sun: no
    Pains: 10

Bed at 10:30

I have woken up hungry each day after this challenge started. I think on Day 5 I will try eating lots, and putting aside my fear that there will not be enough for Day 7. I need to dig into those eggs, and not hoard them as if they were laid by the Golden Goose.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    I have to try this SNAP Challenge, I feel very compelled to do so even though it is terrifying. We have a dollar store now, and in the next town (where I work) there is a store that sells cheap canned goods and a discount grocery. I'm guessing that is not cheating to shop there and to use canned goods.

Tentatively planning for starting next Sunday.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

RMS123 is offline Senior Member
    I REALLY admire you for taking the challenge, especially while you are in weight loss mode! I do not think I want to do it, which makes me realize how very selfish I am. It must be so hard to eat, let alone eat healthy...because, after all, with such a limited budget, that is boring, while sugar and other stuff at least (for many) tastes good.

theprimalcajun is offline Senior Member
    I also admire & applaud you for taking the challenge. I wouldn't do it either. With half the country on food stamps now, it is a sorry state of affairs in this country! Of course with the way things are going any of us might be having to do the SNAP challenge for real. That's why I try & buy extra to keep on hand...just in case of an emergency situation. Hubby 's job is not that stable anymore (who's is??). So I worry a little. Having a big garden (& some things I've canned) & some chickens would only go so far!! I don't know how some of those with big families make it nowadays.
    Goal: Don't worry be happy!

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    The trick I think is that they tend to not eat healthfully. Focus is on survival so i feel sure getting quantity is high on the list. Likely to be heavy on grains.

Totally not willing to try it on my own. Impressed that you are! However what I have planned to start as soon as I am done doing my volunteer stint with the youth space reno at church is to start helping cook meals at our church that get deliver to local homeless camps.

http://www.thenashvillefoodproject.org in case anyone wants more info. There are things like this in many cities
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

Good for you, Siobhan. No, using the dollar store is not cheating at all. I got my mayo, zucchini, and canned tomatoes there. You'll probably have to say good bye to grass fed meat (unless you are some kind of amazing, which I wouldn't doubt for a second) but I was able to still get the free-range eggs that I prefer.

Ruth- You're not selfish for not wanting to do it. Not everything is for everyone. And you are right about the sugar. I see the temptation to just have SOMETHING with some pizazz (Hence the jello. How sad that I am finding jello has pizazz. But I can't afford the yummy cream, etc, that has the best pizazz.) Man, was I eyeing those candy bars at the checkout. i am understanding more and more the temptation to eat crap, just because it tastes good and you can afford it. So, I guess this challenge is doing what I want it to vis a vis understanding.

Primal- I know all those good things you put into your pantry! I think you would do best out of all of us.

Demuralist- that sounds cool. But it makes me sad that we need things like this in America. It reminds me of breadlines.
    Last edited by Sabine; 09-29-2013 at 04:41 AM.

I think you are probably right demuralist...
    Last edited by theprimalcajun; 09-28-2013 at 12:56 PM.

Oops!!! I think you are probably right demuralist. A box of Mac & cheese...or hamburger helper...is cheap...& soooo not healthy. But most folks are not all that knowledgable about nutrition.

Thanks Sabine...I would certainly try to make what I have on hand stretchhhhhhh as far as I could! lol We would eat very simply I know that!! I'm not even sure I would apply for food stamps if he lost his job. There are others I'm sure that would need it worse than us, that couldn't grow a garden or have chickens, or have a man that can hunt. But that's just me.
    Last edited by theprimalcajun; 09-28-2013 at 01:06 PM.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Hah! The only way I could afford grass-fed meat is if I sneak out and butcher it myself in the neighbor's field, preferably under cover of darkness. Might be able to afford some bones, although even that is doubtful.

I'm looking over the website and trying make a list. The trick is to manage this healthfully...yikes...
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold