6:30 tea

2:15 booch

7:45 bite of hash- roasted veg, chicken, egg

Water: 8
    Walking: 40"
    Pains: 7
    Sun: no

Bed at 9:30

One jar of the booch was ready to be bottled. I added blackberries and ginger. Keeping a weather eye on the other two jars.

Starting my SNAP challenge today. Breakfast will be a ground beef patty with two fried eggs. And I'm going to throw the pork in the slow cooker with green sauce for Thursday. I'm excited to see if the meals I planned will be good enough to keep me happy all four days, or if I will be begging for some variety by next Tuesday.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Oops, I was mistaken. $4.50 is not the HIGHEST amount one can receive on food stamps, it is the AVERAGE. Thank goodness, because I was wondering how a teenage boy, pregnant woman, or nursing mom would make it on this!

Day 1

And I'm off!

I could already feel the difference this first day. As I was packing Littlest's lunch, I realized I wouldn't be allowed to taste the kiwi berries I was putting in. If I was feeding my family on SNAP, of course, I wouldn't be BUYING these little treats, not at $2.99 per package. Food stamps means no experimenting with little fun things that cost 1/10th of your budget. Well, no, of course not, food stamps are for hard times. Experimenting is a luxury. But still, it made me sad. I like for my kids to be adventurous in their foods. Glad that Littlest is not doing this with me.

Next realization: although my breakfast of 1/2lb ground beef with 2 fried eggs filled me up, I missed my A-1 sauce. Or other options of some blue cheese, fried onions, or a sliced avocado. Sigh.

By lunch time, I was definitely thinking of food. I wasn't HUNGRY per se, but I was food-bored: I wanted something to eat. Something fun. I began to think I had made a serious mistake in not planning for a treat for each day. Maybe I will use that $1.71 to buy some jello. I sipped up my 2 cups of meat and vegetable soup very slowly, to make it last. I could have had some creamed spinach with eggs, or coleslaw, but I felt that first nagging worry: if I eat that NOW, I might not have it for LATER.

I got busy in the afternoon, and didn't think about dinner until almost 6:00. Fried up my chicken, used some chicken grease to make my zuccini( again with just oregano), and heated up my cauli-rice leftovers. The cauli-rice recipe was okay, nothing special, I wouldn't make it again, but I found myself scooping up extra. It was there, and it was filling. The chicken and zuccini were delicious. But when I was done with them, I was DONE. I wrapped up the rest of the chicken and put it into the freezer to eat on Sunday. I realized I couldn't afford to have them hanging out in the fridge. What if they went bad, and there was nothing to eat on Sunday? What if I ate them beforehand, and there was nothing to eat on Sunday? What if someone else got them, AND THERE WAS NOTHING TO EAT ON SUNDAY?! Man, it doesn't take long to become protective about your food, does it?

Littlest snacked on some cheese to round out her dinner( well, why not, there was no extra-creamy goodness WITH it!) and offered me some, before realizing I couldn't have any. She was sorry, and so was I ...that cheese looked and smelled good! (Gouda.)

I went to bed not hungry, but sightly edgy. I felt like I was missing something. I think maybe I was nervous about heading into a Down Day not feeling satisfied. I woke up this morning a little hungry, but ready mentally for my Down Day. I have good habits now. I am counting on them to carry me through. And I have that soup waiting, in case I need something. And carrots. And 1/4 head of cabbage. I can make it!

Interesting note: my weight was down two pounds this morning. After an Up Day. I usually swing UPwards.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I commend you on your experiments, however limiting they may be. I suspect this experiment will have you appreciating the luxuries you do have. I'm not sure this is an experiment I'd be willing to try. I think it would make me feel guilty for what we have in comparison to what others don't have.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Thanks, Jenn. I know I am already missing and appreciating some things. And I'm so lucky that in my normal life, cheese and sour cream are just basics, not luxuries. I hope I am a compassionate person, but I'm sure I can use a booster every once in a while.

In lighter news...I am bottling up two more jars (6 bottles) of booch! Very exciting. I now have enough to have one bottle every other day and not run out before the next batch is ready! I think I started this in early August, so it took less than two months to become 'self-sufficient' in booch. Another month, and I'll be able to have it EVERY day, which will be a luxury indeed! However, refrigerator space may become an issue. Oh, I just need to stagger my jars. Good idea, self.

Walked to the store for family supplies this morning. We are having a beautiful fall this year. It couldn't have been more than 75 degrees. I DID get chatted up by a man on a bike (no, not Honey). I think it was more an effect of my smile than my incredible new, smaller jeans! Though, who can say! I am still absurdly pleased with myself that I am in a smaller size, and am enjoying the thrill it gives me.

"Each spoonful of lard contains 13 grams of sexy."

How can you not enjoy writing like that?

tomi is offline Senior Member
    nice quote!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Things I choose to let go:

All grains - including rice
    Refined sugars
    Legumes - including peanut butter
    Nuts and nut butters
    Alcohol and soda
    Chocolate
    Acidic foods, such as pineapple and tomato
    Coffee and tea
    Eggs
    Curry
    White potato
    Dairy - including butter

I'm choosing to do this......... I don't HAVE to.

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Congrats on the smaller jeans! Fantastic!

I'm very interested in your SNAP challenge. I should do that. I'm not sure I have the courage. I spend ridiculous amounts of money on food, it is a big priority for me. After being primal for a year and a half, I am still shocked at what I see people buying in the grocery store. I wonder if I could eat canned meat of some kind? Would it even be cheaper? I would have to throw all thoughts of buying ethical meat and fish. Goodbye Wild Planet Tuna - unless I made one can last for a week - even my cat can't do that. Hmmm. Must think on this.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    There is a report this weekend on (I am guessing) Fox News about eating on food stamps. timely

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Siobhan- I am finding I am having to rely on prayer to keep my mental attitude about it up. I am VERY attached to food, and I HATE being deprived. I know if I were eating like this for a DIET, I just wouldn't do it. But I am trying to tune into how people living on food stamps feel as my main motivation. I think it is definitely worth trying. I already feel that I am more compassionate in this area 9after three days!).

Demuralist- I'll have to check that out. I have been reading a few blogs about it, also. There was a great one about a family who did it for Lent. Wow!