Page 295 of 397 FirstFirst ... 195245285293294295296297305345395 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,950 of 3965

Thread: Show, then aid - Sabine page 295

Coll is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Congratulations on the size 14 Sabine!! THat is AWESOME! You are doing so well! Enjoy!
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 13 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 218 lbs
    S.T. goals: stabilize hormones, JUDDD, sleep early and long
    LTG: Find my sweet spot with which foods work for me and start losing weight
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

Just take it one bite at a time ...

ecks is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    Size 14 is a real step forward for me.
    I don't get it... you primal ladies are always getting hotter but never posting pics

Congrats on the step forward!
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I don't know how confident I would have to feel in my looks to post a picture of myself of the forum. More so than I am now, that's for sure. You have seen my hands, though.

I started making my primal reasons list yesterday. Now I get to play with the words and make it pretty.

Eating-wise, here's what else I did:

Up at 5:00

5:45 5 chicken wings with ranch dip
    2 low-carb crepes with jam and cream

1:15 lots of sashimi and a moderate amount of seaweed

5:00 quarter-pounder with cheese, no bun
    2 bites of BigMac
    some fries with ketchup
    junior vanilla shake

Water: 13 glasses
    Walking: 50"
    Sun: not really
    Pains: 6

Bed at 9:00

The bites of BigMac tasted just as I remembered(delicious!) and were just enough. Note the 7 1/2 hours between breakfast and lunch. You know you're eating right when your breakfast can carry you that long. The crepes were made from a recipe I modified from the Heller's '7-Day Low-Carb Rescue and Recovery Plan' book. Here's my version:

4 eggs
    2T gluten-free flour blend(rice, tapioca,arrowroot,sorghum, xanthan)
    enough cream to make it the right texture- I think about 1/2-3/4C

Cook in a VERY thin layer in a little butter. This recipe made 9 crepes, so about 2g carb each.

So far, I just used them with cream/jam/strawberries, but I think next time I will try a savory crepe, with some chicken and cheese.

But not for a while.

Tomorrow I am starting my SNAP challenge: eating for $4.50 per day for a week. This is the (maximum) amount one person gets if they receive food stamps. I think doing JUDDD will give me a slight advantage, as every other day will just be tea(.10/serving), booch(.50/bottle), and lemon/sugar/salt for my water. Being primal will give me a decided cost disadvantage, as I am not going to go for cheap 'fillers'. But those would make me feel bad in any case, and if I am going to challenge myself, I don't need to feel bad.

The biggest hardship will be lack of variety. There's not a lot you can buy for $30.00(I'm not having Honey and Littlest doing it). I subtracted $1.50 as the cost of the three bottles of booch I will be consuming. I will be having mostly the same things every Up Day.

Let you know how it goes!

SNAP Challenge

I did my planning and shopping for my week of eating on $4.50/day. That's $31.50 for the week, and the first thing I did was subtract $1.50 for the cost of three bottles of my homemade kombucha.

The SNAP guidelines say no using anything you already have, but that's impractical. Most people having to go on food stamps will still have SOME leftovers and pantry items.

So, I made these modifications:
    I can use salt, pepper, and sweetener(for flavor, not large amounts as would be needed if I am baking something).
    I can use one spice per dish. I can get most spices for $1.00 a packet, so I can even see replacing these at one or two per week as needed. But food stamps wouldn't allow me to have all the spices I wanted, so my compromise will be one per dish.
    I can use ONE leftover dish from my fridge for this week. I chose my cauli-rice dish. I haven't even gotten to taste it yet, so that was easy!
    I can use the homemade broth in the freezer. Just because you are on food stamps, doesn't mean you can't do investment cooking. I will be tossing the bones from the meats I eat in the freezer as usual, so I will be making new broth from leftovers.
    Likewise, I can use my kombucha, but I will 'charge' myself the amount it costs to make, which is $.50 per bottle.

This is what I bought:

8.49 ground beef
    2.50 tea
    2.44 pork
    1.95 chicken thighs
    1.52 head of cabbage
    1.00 large can of tomatoes
    1.00 2 pounds of carrots
    0.27 yellow onion
    2.89 12 eggs
    0.85 frozen spinach
    1.84 cream cheese
    0.75 3 lemons
    0.79 can of salsa verde
    1.00 jar of mayo
    1.00 3 zucchini
    1.50 3 bottles of kombucha

29.79 expended = $1.71 'left over' for another purchase, or to go towards a theoretical second week, perhaps to buy those replacement spices, or some sour cream, which I was sad not to be able to afford.

I made a soup from one pound of ground beef, the onion, half the cabbage, four carrots, and the can of tomatoes. And some coleslaw from 1/4 of the cabbage.

My basic meal plan for Down Days is to continue my plan of water, tea, and kombucha, with some soup instead of a protein shake or green smoothie if I want more.

On Up Days I will be having a breakfast of ground beef patty topped with one or two eggs. There will be two dinners of chicken, and two of pork. Vegetables will be one or more of these: carrots, coleslaw, creamed spinach, zucchini. I will be doing any frying in the leftover hamburger grease. Lunches will be soup, creamed spinach with poached eggs, and/or leftovers.

I don't think I will be hungry, but I can see how it could get tedious. And if I was not doing ADF, the amounts, spread over 7 days, instead of four, would be small. I DO think I might get hungry then.

tomi is online now Senior Member
    how did you buy 3 bottles of kombucha for $1.50 ???
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

You missed the part where I said I was charging myself for the cost of my homemade booch! No, sadly, those on food stamps would find it hard to enjoy the wonder that is store-bought booch. They would even find it hard to spring for one bottle to make a SCOBY from. I mean, it would be almost 10% of their weekly budget!

Oh, yes I did see that - just slipped my mind.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    sadly the difference is that most on food stamps would use more grains and beans and the cheaper convenience foods.

When I was single and much younger, and first became a hairdresser (ie. no clientele yet), my cousin and I were roommates. This was helpful, because of how we were able to do the whole money thing since we were family. But anyway, paychecks barely paid the bills and we ate off of my tips. So if I got no tips, we had iced tea for food that day. Anyway, because we were not able to store up enough money to actually buy anything at the grocery store, we ate fast food, usually at Crystal's (we could get 4 burgers for a dollar in those days) and drank our homemade iced tea. We kept our change in a jar and used it to supplement when my tips were low. So we usually had food (days off we ate at my parents house). But I can tell you we didn't lose weight, and it was quite a while before I had a regular clientele and she had gotten enough promotions that we could actually go to the grocery store.

The guy whose blog I read (CEO of Panera) that inspired me to try this, went the whole grains/legumes route. He said he regretted it, because he felt bloated and tired almost at once. But when you are living on food stamps, there's no saying 'oh, this was a mistake, let me toss it and start over.'

Something strange happened as I was buying my groceries. I went to three different stores to get the best prices for what I was purchasing. In line ahead of me at the 99cent store was a lady using her Lone Star card, which is the card for food stamps in Texas. It wasn't working, although she was sure there was still a balance. It turned out that she had $7.00 left on the card, and her purchase was $9.20. Once they figured that out, the $7.00 went through, but she had to dig for change to make the balance. She was buying bananas(the bags of brown ones that were marked even further down), pasta, and crackers(I think). She kept apologizing for holding up the line, and I could tell she was very embarrassed.

that's very sad - we were poor growing up, but mom somehow made the money stretch. She was widowed with 3 daughters, plus me on the way. We received Social Security and Veterans Benefits until we reached 18 years of age. That was moms only income. She refused to go on welfare or ask for food stamps. She never worked. I don't know how she made the money last through the month, but we always ate well and had a nice home.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation