Page 287 of 415 FirstFirst ... 187237277285286287288289297337387 ... LastLast
Results 2,861 to 2,870 of 4148

Thread: Show, then aid - Sabine page 287

Sabine is offline Senior Member

Score!

Shop Now
    I found a bottle of booch in the back of the fridge!

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    thinking of starting this (well, I have been thinking and researching it for a while). wonder what you think about the possibility of doing continuous batch in an old stainless steel thermos that has a pour spout. It would be dark, but wonder if the fact that it is a thermos would be an issue.

tomi is online now Senior Member
    I've read you're not supposed to have any metal at all come into contact with the kombucha. So a stainless steel thermos probably wouldn't be the right vessel. Everything I've read says glass only. Plastic is porous and can cause the introduction of the wrong kinds of bacteria.

But then, what do I know --- I'm trying to grow my own scoby using a bottle of plain booch - its been sitting on my counter since August 27 - there's some slimy looking stuff on the bottom of the jar - but nothing that looks like a proper scoby.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:
    Highest weight: 216
    Current weight: 189 (7-16-14)
    Goal weight: 140

oh, I missed the part about metal, I thought I had read stainless was ok. Of course, no way to know if this is stainless steel as opposed to some other kind of metal they used in the 50's.

I did read that there was some sort of hullabaloo about store bought booch and that since that the formulas have changed and they are not very good at growing scobys anymore.

I guess I will have to buy one on line. I wonder if they do something to PREVENT the growth so people aren't so ready to just make their own instead of spending $3 a bottle at the store???
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:

How To Grow A Kombucha SCOBY | Food Renegade

p.s. apparently glass and stainless steel are ok

Tomi, did you feed the kombucha with some sugar? Also, was the kombucha you started with raw and unpasteurized? Those are the two things I can think of off the top of my head which might have prevented your SCOBY from growing.

Demuralist-interesting about the stainless steel. I thought it was all metal to avoid. No matter for me, as I've got my half-gallon glass jars.

I didn't drink the booch yesterday. I felt like I was on a roll with a water-only fast. But it will be consumed (well, half of it) today.

Meatloaf update: I made that meatloaf someone suggested (Tomi, Siobhan, Nameless?) with sweet potato and raisins in it. My true test for a meatloaf is...does it taste good cold? The recipe makes three loaves, but there were no leftovers to try cold from the first one, as there was company in the house. On Monday we had the second one, and this morning I gave it a test run for breakfast. Verdict: delicious cold! And the shape held up very well. I will make this again.

Two nights of rather disturbed sleep. Last night I slept through, but had unsettling dreams about a stray dog which was hanging around the neighborhood yesterday. We left water out for her last night, but she was obviously preying on my mind.

I used a bottle of GT's Organic Raw Kombucha, Original. It does not state unpasteurized anywhere that I can find on the label. Yes, I did add sugar. I brewed the tea, added sugar, let it cool, then poured it into a glass jar with the Original Kombucha. I covered it with a paper towel and put a rubber band around the rim. Its been sitting undisturbed on my counter since August 27. There is a layer of whitish (like 1/2 cooked egg whites) stuff laying on the bottom of jar. It looks like the growth a scoby - but isn't a scoby always floating on the top of the liquid? I've read it can take up to a month to grow a new scoby.......... so I guess I just need to be patient.

I see a new doggy in Sabine's home within a month!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:

NO NEW DOGS!

That sounds like a SCOBY, and no, they are not always on the top. Sometimes they are on the bottom, and sometimes they even float in the middle. Just different personalities, I guess.

OH then I'm growing a scoby! YEAH!!!!!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals: