Page 268 of 437 FirstFirst ... 168218258266267268269270278318368 ... LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,680 of 4363

Thread: Show, then aid - Sabine page 268

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Have you been on the lowcarbfriends forum at all? Their JUDDD thread has lots of great recipe/meal plans.

RMS123 is offline Senior Member
    Yes. I actually like to read it -- people there are friendly and helpful. Sometimes the forums can get really mean. They are rather supportive. I've been going through the DD recipes. A lot of them are junk, but there are some good ones in there.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Hi Sabine! I also enjoy reading your journal. You have such a well rounded life.

My house is in a perpetual state of mess most days. Kids toys everywhere, unfolded laundry in the dining room, mail stacked to the ceiling in the kitchen. I decided, in order to maintain the paper clutter, I am going to create a "To be burned" box and will keep it in the garage. That way I can toss the mail without worrying about it getting into the wrong hands, but I don't have to do something with it EVERY DAY. Once the box gets full, I'll take it to my mom's to be burned. Easy peasy. But FIRST, I have to clear the counters of the already piled up "needs to be destroyed" mail items that I never look at - credit card statements, insurance statements, etc... I can look at all that crap online and even though I signed up for paperless billing, I still get statements.

I need to find a way to create rumble strips in our house for the paper clutter - which extends beyond mail to returned kiddo assignments/projects from school. What do you do with all THAT stuff?
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Mail! It is a nightmare! I think your 'to be destroyed' box is a good idea. And I'm glad you like to read my journal.

I was actually one of those wacky moms who had the school stuff under control.

Here's what I did:

I had a box for each of the kids. When they came home from school EVERY DAY, we went through their papers. It was a good unwinding time, where they got a snack, and we could talk about what they did. Looking over the papers gives you a place to start from, with conversation. Art went on the fridge. Any really good spelling or essay, or story, or math went in the box. Ho-hum things went in recycling after I told them 'good job'. After a week on the fridge, art went one of three places- it got framed, it went in the box, or it got tossed. I was ruthless from the beginning. Not EVERY drawing is worth keeping. But the great ones got framed(Dollar Tree frames, nothing fancy) and put up to enjoy.

I also took this time to fill out any forms they brought home and put them RIGHT BACK in the backpack.

At the end of EVERY school year, I went through the boxes. Perfect spelling tests aren't as amazing once you have 36 of them. I would keep a few items that were really spectacular or showed some classic area of development. Art is harder to toss- I would keep more of those. And the early grades are more charming, so those piles were thicker. And they had this time to pull out all their school junk from their room and binders ('cause there's ALWAYS extra that never makes it to you, especially in the later years) and toss it in the recycling bin.

Next school year, start filling up the box again, right on top of last year's stuff. Lather, rinse, repeat. Starting in middle school, I had separate piles/boxes for the official stuff that you need later when filling out applications.

When Eldest graduated, I went through his boxes and winnowed some more. I now have a project box, about 12" x 15" x 6" of all his best stuff to give to him some day. I will be doing Middlest's after she gets off to college.

I guess it is like any paperwork. Not so bad in little bites, but it can get out of hand quickly. I wish I had translated these kids' schoolwork skills into the rest of my paper life, but I'll take what I can get.

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    I did very similar, with the addition of a hanging file box that I used for the awards, certificates, final report cards, thank you notes for volunteer work etc. that stuff is all very useful when doing college and scholarship applications.

We had more than a few projects that teachers kept as examples (my kids are visual and creative so their projects tended to be off the wall and pretty spectacular- their papers, not so much). Anyway, i photographed every project and most of their papers since middle school are pdf files so all that is in a file on the computer.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    I did very similar, with the addition of a hanging file box that I used for the awards, certificates, final report cards, thank you notes for volunteer work etc. that stuff is all very useful when doing college and scholarship applications.

We had more than a few projects that teachers kept as examples (my kids are visual and creative so their projects tended to be off the wall and pretty spectacular- their papers, not so much). Anyway, i photographed every project and most of their papers since middle school are pdf files so all that is in a file on the computer.
    Good idea to photograph and store electronically No clutter there!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I like that idea. Right now we put really cool art work and good spelling tests on the fridge. If we put one up, we take one down. The one we take down, right now, goes into an oversized reusable shopping bag - but said bag is full and there's still stuff on the counter to go through.

I read somewhere to take pictures of the artwork and such, then you can throw the physical piece away, and scrapbook the pics - not sure I like that idea. Maybe one of his earlier works will be valuable some day. He made this really cool coy fish and lily pad thing using coffee filters in art class. it was really really neat - and quite impressive for a 6 year old. it's still hanging on our fridge. I'll probably start going through some of that stuff in the very near future.

I have a "bankers box" to go through too of stuff he did in daycare that I couldn't throw away - my heart wouldn't let me... but after 13 years of school, I can see this getting to be even more overwhelming, if not hazardous, so I want to get a jump on it now.

Thanks for the ideas. I appreciate them. I just need to remember what was once said on the show "Clean Sweep". I'm throwing away a piece of paper - not the memory of or love for my child.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    I have 1 physical piece from each child, one is a framed drawing that hangs in my bedroom, and one is a sculpture that sits on a table in the same room. Everything else has been diligently photographed and pitched. Was it hard, sometimes. But DH doesn't allow things on the fridge (and the fridge we had when they were little would not hold magnets anyway), so that was never an option. The 2 pieces I kept, I asked myself would I buy something like that, and the answer is yes. Amazing because they are from when my kids were pretty young (DS did the drawing in 2nd grade at the art museum, DD did her sculpture in 4th grade). And now that they are off to college those are the only pieces I have except for the hanging file boxes. Unless of course you count the "artist" mess they left their rooms in!

Emofedom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    The Shakshouka for breakfast yesterday was divine!
    Shakshuka is a new one on me so I looked it up!! Wow it looks amazing. I'm not a huge fan of breakfast and especially eggs but... Now this I could actually see myself liking. Does it save well?

Oh and don't let the other persons threads bother you so much. It's difficult to read people's meaning in a text form and misunderstandings happen a lot. They were probably having a bad day already when they read your tread. Hopefully they will realize that they misinterpreted your meaning and all will be right in the world. : )

Emily
    "Adapt and Overcome"

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Emily- Shashouka DOES hold well. I usually make a batch and eat it over the course of several days. Just add a little extra water if it thickens up too much on you.