Page 255 of 396 FirstFirst ... 155205245253254255256257265305355 ... LastLast
Results 2,541 to 2,550 of 3957

Thread: Show, then aid - Sabine page 255

jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Our shotguns and rifles are in our gun cabinet, unloaded and the cabinet is locked, but its not the most secure thing in the world. It's a glass front so it's more for show than safety. The pistol, however, is locked in a combination safe, with a combo we have not shared with our kids. It IS loaded, but there are no rounds in the chamber - but that just means you have to pull the trigger just a hit harder before it'll fire. We have shown our 6 year old how to handle a weapon, where to point it, as well as where NOT to point it, and have impressed upon him that it is NOT a toy and is not to be touched without Mom or Dad to supervise and if we ever found out he had handled it without us, his butt would be bruised for a week.

Brad wants to get him a bb rifle and teach him how to shoot. Thankfully, we're too broke to buy him one. And even so I will protest until at least the age of 7, a bit more mature and willing to listen to instruction/follow rules without being reminded 100 times.

I hope the story in the paper was not a sad one.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Oh, yeah, it was sad.

On a happier note, I have cherries fermenting on my counter. I'm going to bring them to our sew day on Friday. Maybe to put on top of ice cream!

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Ours are, and always have been separated. Guns in a serious, and always locked, gun safe...ammo in a different safe, in a different, secret location. And we were always up front with parents who brought kids over about the fact that they were there and how they were stored. Our kids went through lessons and gun safety classes pretty early (can't remember how old they were though, sorry).

p.s.how do you ferment the fruit?
    Last edited by demuralist; 07-01-2013 at 05:55 AM.

Siobhan is online now Senior Member
    Years ago I got married and moved into my new husband's home. No, we did not live together before we were married. As I was settling in, the thought occurred to me that he might own a weapon and I should know about it. So I asked. He said no, he did not own anything of the sort.

A couple of weeks later I was cleaning out a closet and saw...guns. Three of them. Shotguns or rifles (I don't know the difference.) When he got home from work I laid into him. How dare he lie to me about something so important? He listened very calmly, and then said, "Did you look at them? Did you pick them up?" No, of course I hadn't. He retrieved them from the closet and handed one to me. "It's a prop gun. My dad made them for a movie." (His father was an art director in the movie/TV industry.) Holding it in my hands, it was obvious that it wasn't a real gun. It was a beautiful thing, polished wood. We had a good laugh!
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. - Henry David Thoreau, Walden

I'm using whey, honey, and a little salt, letting them sit, covered on the counter until they start to bubble. Nothing has happened yet- our kitchen is air conditioned. Maybe I should set them outside tomorrow.

where does the whey come from?

In which Sabine goes on and on and on

I get the whey by draining yogurt through cheesecloth. Then either use the yogurt as more of a cheese-yum, or add cream to it-also yum.

Yesterday I brought Middlest to a mid-way spot, to meet her college roommate. They ate at MiCocina, while I darted down to La Madeline. My choices: a scoop of chicken salad(tossed the croissant), small caesar salad (tossed the croutons) which didn't have much dressing , and a bowl of their tomato basil soup.

About an hour after eating, my bowels gave notice that something was amiss. Time was spent in the bathroom. Definitely something in the ingredients that made me unhappy. I am hoping it was the mayo/seasonings for the chicken salad, and NOT the soup, because I LOVE that stuff. Not that I go to La Madeline that often, but I would be sad to drop it entirely. Next time I'll have only the soup, and see how it goes.

It is actually cooler outside this morning than inside, so I am taking advantage, and opening windows and turning on our attic fan to get some fresh air in the house. I put the cherries outside for when it warms up later. I opened the jar and took a sniff this morning- definitely no fermenting action yet. Which seems funny, what with the added honey.

I mentioned to Middlest yesterday that it looks as though she has lost weight (she's doing 5:2, sort-of). She says she hasn't, but her mid-section definitely looks flatter to me. I did not press the issue, wary of saying the wrong thing, as is so easy with parents and teenagers.

Made a purchase online yesterday, and was persuaded to take their service survey afterwards, lured, I confess, by the incentives offered: a instant free reward and an entry for a $25 gift certificate. Well, the 'free reward' turned to be magazine subscriptions (You only pay $2 shipping and handling!). Grrr. I made sure to include my opinion of this in the survey. The entry would have been enough. Getting hustled for magazine subscriptions just made me angry.

Quick break to wash a sinkful of dishes. I LOVE the rush of cool, fresh air coming in through the window. Attic fans rock!

Honey is getting into vegetable smoothies. I make up little baggies of veg for him, and he tosses one into the Vita-Mix morning and night. He is not really a vegetable fan, so actually getting his full 5+ each day is making him feel virtuous. He is maintaining at 169-171, for those interested. The idea is that he will hold there until I catch up, but I don't know if that will happen. His still pinching an inch around his waist, and wiggling it, like he thinks he needs to do something about it NOW!

I am slowly creeping towards my Independence Day goal of 179. It could go either way. I was tempted to maybe do a few days fasting to make sure I get there, but decided to stick with the process. It is more important to have a sustainable method, than to make it by a particular date.

Pains issue. I will just say, grrr. I think stress is a major factor, and the more pains I have, the harder it is to stay unstressed! This sucks! That is all.

The spiral vegetable cutter is still calling me. Must resist its siren song!!

smoothie baggies is a great idea! As is draining the yogurt.

jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    I want a spiral cutter too!! So badly.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Siobhan is online now Senior Member
    Made some zoodles today with my spiral cutter. Just sayin'.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. - Henry David Thoreau, Walden