Page 251 of 396 FirstFirst ... 151201241249250251252253261301351 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,510 of 3954

Thread: Show, then aid - Sabine page 251

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    When I have to buy junk for whatever reason I feel like I "have to" I always get something I think that I don't like. But in the end, I am almost always the one who ends up eating it. So I essentially just don't buy it anymore. It either gets made at home or it is not served. And I don't make chips- too hard to make too easy to eat!

Sabine is offline Senior Member

Rambling

I bought the chips, pretzels, and sodas as a cheap way to feed a large crowd of (mostly) teenagers. But next time I think I'll spring for the time and money to do a veggies and dip tray as well, and fewer chips.

I have downed 12 glasses of liquid so far today. I'm aiming for a full gallon before I wind down for the evening. The food has been raw ahi tuna and cooked shrimp. Yum.

Saw an interesting set of recipes in a Martha Stewart Living magazine. Roast Spatchcocked Lemon and Onion Chicken, and two recipes that use any leftovers to make a soup and a salad. Minimal primalization required. (Only need to decide if I leave out the rice, make cauli-rice instead, or splurge on rice.) I just so happen to have 16 free-range chickens in my freezer(raised by a friend) so I whipped one out to defrost, and that's what we're having tomorrow.

I'm going to try T-Tapp. A friend is loaning me her dvd, once she finds it (). Once you learn the routine, it is supposed to take only 15 minutes, which sounds just about my speed. Don't know why I am feeling the inclination to exercise. Maybe by the time she finds the dvd, the urge will have passed.

I've been making Honey veggie/fruit smoothies every day now. He likes the idea of getting his vegetables without, you know, having to actually EAT them. Snicker.

Hmmm, veggies. Maybe I will do roasted cauliflower to go with the chicken tomorrow. Double yum!

I rarely have more than about 6 teens in the house at any one point in time and most of them have 2 working parents -neither of whom cook- so they usually appreciate just about anything that I throw together for them. Plus if it is DD and her friends they usually make it themselves, having lots of fun and destroying the kitchen in the process. This is just fine with me as this way I know where they are and they usually end up pulling me into at least some of the conversations.

Chicken and roasted cauliflower sounds lovely. I am not a big rice eater anyway, so I would skip it and not bother faking it either. Have you ever used Nutritional (NOT brewers) Yeast on your cauliflower when you roast it? Quite yummy. If you find a source for some reasonably priced Nutritional Yeast let me know and I will give you a fantastic recipe for it.

Demuralist- I DO have nutritional yeast, and I'd love a good recipe for it. I am somewhat at a loss for it right now, I just sprinkle it on things occasionally.

Made my water goal yesterday. Here's the report:

Up at 6:30

11:30 iced cafe au lait

12:45 4oz ahi

3:20 2oz ahi and some shrimp

6:15 iced cafe au lait

8:00 4oz salmon

Water: 16 glasses
    Walking: no
    Pains: 12

Bed at 9:30

Today will be an early Father's Day for us, since it is our Up Day, and Honey doesn't like to switch his schedule. I usually switch my schedule by just having three Up Days in a row . What can I say? I don't do deprivation very well.

Which may seem a funny thing to say. I'm sure plenty of people would view fasting, or severely restricting calories every other day as deprivation, but it really doesn't feel like it. Most of the time, I am looking forward to my Down Days as a 'rest'. Any physical hunger is manageable- it is the mental hunger and any emotional eating that's the tricky part, but I feel like overall, I am doing well on that front. Certainly, I am having an easier time of just starting again after any incidents, which is HUGE.

My weight this morning (though after a Down Day, so not 'official') was very pleasing. Halfway to my goal. Once it is official, I'll be feeling in fine fettle. It will also be the lowest I have been in the last 18 years! I'll be entering new territory.

Back to the Father's Day plans. Denny's for breakfast, watching 'Oblivion' at the dollar theater, and maybe a father-son dinner at a churrascaria. I feel like all five of us for dinner is more than the budget can bear, so that seems like a nice compromise. The girls and I will have the roast chicken. It rained last night, so unless the sun comes out and blasts us, looks like today's bike ride is off.

So I take 4C of the flaked Nutritional Yeast, and mix in 4T Spike and 4tsp garlic powder (if you use the unsalted spike you can use the garlic salt). Mix it up in a big jar and sprinkle away! For a treat (I assume popcorn is not primal so whatever...) Onto popped popcorn you would drizzle a bit of local honey and ten sprinkle generously with that yeast mixture. This also works on roasted cauliflower minus the honey. I also sprinkle it onto shrimp I have "fried" in some coconut oil. It is fantastic on veggie soups. My DD is a vegetarian and it is a great way for her to get her B12.

Happy Father's Day

It's great that so many people are journalling, but fishing for your journal on page five is tiresome.

What with Father's Day yesterday, there were many treats eaten.

Up at 7:00

10:00 Denny's Farmhouse Skillet- 2 eggs, sausage, potato, bell peppers, spinach, cherry tomatoes, cheddar

3:00 vanilla shake

4:15 cheesecake and salami

7:00 roasted chicken leg, roasted root vegetables(beet, sweet potato, potato) cheesecake

9:30 apricot, chocolate chips, salami

Water: 11 glasses
    Walking: no
    Pains: 15

Bed at 10:00

I think my next Up Day will be fish-centic. I have a desire for lox!

Eldest is flying back to Indiana today. We have had a good visit. It went too quickly.

Honey is biking this morning with friends. This afternoon will be spent taking Eldest to the airport. And this evening, Middlest and I will be filling out financial aid forms.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Sabine, if you go to thread tools, you can subscribe to the journals you like, including your own.
    Then, You can reach your subscriptions from the "Quick Links" tab in the black bar under Mark's Picture

Thanks, I need to remember that. I have some subscriptions, but I've never gotten into the habit of going to the list to access things. Also, never thought about subscribing to my own.

Later...that feature is awesome!
    Last edited by Sabine; 06-17-2013 at 08:35 AM.

Very awkward encounter

Yesterday a neighbor from further down the street stopped by.

Background info: He and his wife have lived on the street for twenty years. Two sons, 18 and 14. He works out of town during the week. Last fall his wife left him and took the two boys. He is very bitter about it, and has criticized her and the boys to me very fiercely twice since then, with me mouthing 'I hope it all works out' sorts of things. She told me her reasons for leaving, but is very careful not to bad-mouth him, saying she's sure she did things wrong, too, but she just couldn't go on anymore.

So, he stopped by yesterday, apparently while on a bike ride, said he wanted to congratulate Middlest on her graduation, which was nice. I asked about his 18-year old's plans, and he went off into a very horrible rant about how bad his kids are. I was so taken aback, but when I gathered myself, I said, 'Name-of-guy, I really don't like to hear parents speaking like that about their kids,' and started to back away. He just went on, so I repeated it, and went inside.

Fifteen minutes later, he was back, wanting to justify himself, I guess. I made sure to check for any sign of weapons before I opened the door. Not that I have a reason to think he's violent, but his violent SPEECH really creeped me out.

I have a strong 'don't talk trash about your kids' boundary, I guess.

I listened to him for a minute, said 'I hear you' a couple of times, and repeated my 'don't like to hear parents talking like that about their kids' statement. Honey came to the door, wondering what was up, and together we sort of shut him down. I suggested he find an appropriate person to talk to about his feelings, and that we were NOT it.

I felt I had to tell the girls to stay away from him. I don't want them hearing him blast off about his kids like that, and also, I have the tiniest worry that he might feel jealous of our 'perfect life' and be mean in some way.

I definitely won't ask him about his kids again, should our paths cross, and I am unable to avoid him. I'm wondering if I should tell his wife about the encounter. I don't want to gossip (I consider posting this in my journal as getting it off my chest, similar to how Honey and I talked it out last night, not gossiping.) but I also wonder if him speaking so harshly about the boys is something she NEEDS to know.

I'm glad I said something, and that I didn't just let it turn into a 'silence means consent' kind of situation. But I wish I had been able to shut him down completely. The whole thing upset me quite a bit.

Siobhan is online now Senior Member
    This guy is paranoid to an unhealthy degree and possibly a sociopath. I would say unequivocally that you should talk to his wife, but be confident that she will respect your confidentiality and not let him know about the discussion. Err on the side of caution.

I am ferociously anti-airing-of-family-matters in public and anti-bad-mouthing-of-the-other-parent. That is what journals, professional counselors, and very, very close friends or family members are for. Not neighbors. Not co-workers.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. - Henry David Thoreau, Walden