Page 24 of 418 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast

Thread: Show, then aid - Sabine page 24

Candy in Wonderland is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by lopisheep View Post
    Good morning, Sabine --

Just thinking you could tell kids you wanted to try fasting and see what it was like. That's sort of simple and nice. I mean, you do want to try it and see what it's like, right? Like make it no big deal, but just that you're going to try it.
    This seems a good approach to me too.

Sabine, I love your writing, although I don't always have a reply to give. I love to read your journal, I just wished I could express myself as good as you can (and many others here). My english just isn't at your level (but maybe writing here on MDA it will get better?).
    My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
    My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
    Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
    Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

Sabine is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the feedback

Pebbles- I was thinking three days, ONCE, not each week. Yikes! (Is it pathetic that the thought of weekly fasting immediately makes me think of the fact that I will have fewer eating choices? Not necessarily less food, but less variety? I am so weird.) That number of days was based on a casual cancer study of patients who fasted 2-4 days before their chemo, and various amounts of time after it. They all had reduced/no typical side-effects, indicating that their normal cells might have gone into 'lock-down' mode(where presumably, one of the things they are doing is resting and repairing). This really intrigues me. And I think, just on an emotional level, that a one day fast does not seem like a fast to me, more an accident(at least for me- not stepping on anyone else's fasting method!). Don't know why, just a gut feeling.

Lopisheep- Luckily, I have not had any heartburn since (checking my notes) February. Yay! Aside from hurting, it really freaks me out, sending my imagination spiraling.

PrimalCajun- I worry that If I say I'm going to give it a try, they will think it is just a crazy whim. They are teenagers now, and I find there is a minimum level of respect I need to maintain, just to keep from being 'oh, mom!'. Don't know if that is explaining it well. I guess I feel like I need to look like I know what I am doing. That's it. When they are younger, they think you can do no wrong. At this age, it is kind of the opposite. They are good kids, but I suppose my parental self-preservation is waving flags at me. Maybe I need to just pull on my big girl panties and show that even parents can try something without knowing the results. Bravery in a different direction.

Candy- Thank you for the compliment. I am always amazed at your english when I read your journal and comments. No worries that you aren't expressing yourself!

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Since you have teens, I would fast for breakfast and lunch and then eat dinner with the family. Teens are too impressionable and if they see you're skipping meals (and losing weight, if that's one of the outcomes) they might think that's the right thing to do and start skipping meals, binging and entering a bad cycle of unhealthy eating habits. In other words, I'd be afraid they'd see what you're doing, misunderstand what you're doing, take it to the extreme, and hurt themselves.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

That's what one of my fears is. That they would take away the bad points of fasting(as in, denying yourself food, regardless of your body's needs. NOT what I would be doing, as I want to answer my body's needs, by resting and improving my cells/system), without understanding how it fits into a primal lifestyle as a whole.

Maybe I can send them away at the same time this summer.

Acceptance Meditation

I will reflect on this at least three times per day for the next week:

I accept that we are not bringing in as much money as I would like, at this moment. I am willing for this to change. I accept that I may have no control over when it will change.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Phew! OK that makes much more sense. Thanks for the explanation. Hope You can work it out.

theprimalcajun is offline Senior Member
    Sabine I'll be anxious to hear the results when you do the 3 day fast. I don't know if I could do it that long...maybe a day & half fast? lol I'll have to give that some thought & maybe do a bit more reading about it.

only you know what the best approach is to the whole fasting thing with your teens. Everyone brought up good points.

off to go read some more! I didn't have internet all afternoon & I was in withdrawals!! Have a great evening!
    Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Chowing down

Yesterday:

Up at 5:30
    Vitamins

7:30 rotisserie chicken leg
    2 BBBB

12:45 2 bratwurst with
    mustard
    apple
    almond butter

4:30- 5:30
    2 oz swiss cheese
    4 oz salami
    6 chocolate macadamia nuts
    grapes !
    1 oz blue cheese

6:00 lettuce leaf wrapped taco
    ground beef
    salsa, green chiles
    cheddar
    sour cream
    avocado
    olives

20 minute walk at kid pace (faster than person, slower than dog)

Bed at 9:15

I was rushed from both breakfast and lunch, sort of gulped them down, and didn't have any veges with them. Big mistake. As I was preparing dinner I started feeling hungry, and decided to have 'just a little something' to take the edge off. Second mistake. I started nibbling, moved to shoveling, and got hungrier and hungrier. By the time dinner came, I was full, but we were testing out two new kinds for ground beef so I ate anyway.

Today I will: eat my vegetables, and have real meals, not snacks.

Girded my loins and had a starter discussion about fasting with one of my daughters as we walked to the library after dinner. Very proud of myself. We talked about the cancer study, and she was amazed that anyone could refrain from eating for FOUR days.

Going to see "Hunger Games' today! I loved the books. Both my daughters think the movie is excellent.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I'm so glad to see bratwursts are allowed!! YAY! I love brats!! And saurkraut! Yummo! And your tacos sound delish! My family loves tacos and I didn't know how to make it work. Lettuce wrap is a great idea!

I want to see Hunger Games, but I have to read the books first.

I'm glad your daughters are receptive and understand the need for you to fast. Keep the dialog open with them about it. They'll appreciate your openness.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    20 minute walk at kid pace (faster than person, slower than dog)
    I meant to ask, what kind of dog do you have? Can we see a photo?

Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    Girded my loins and had a starter discussion about fasting with one of my daughters as we walked to the library after dinner. Very proud of myself. We talked about the cancer study, and she was amazed that anyone could refrain from eating for FOUR days.
    I have a 16 year old daughter. Neither of us eat breakfast. We just are not hungry then. I've fasted a few times, but not told her. I have the same worries, I don't want her getting the wrong ideas.
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy