Page 23 of 418 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast

Thread: Show, then aid - Sabine page 23

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Virginia definitely works. Stayed in Middleburg and Chincoteague and visited Assateague. Great place in Chincoteague with Oysters a la Russell. Buttered sauteed oysters over whole grain bread. That was a loooooong time ago.

Well, it may be hotter in Texas but do they have the mosquitos that were in Virginia? Remember wearing helmet like things with mosquito netting. Wait! Are you telling me it's hot today? Man, we had snow 3-4 days ago and froze our butts off!

I think there must be a point when you are Texan or Washingtonian or whatever. Actually, I'm not native here either. Brought up in Hollywood, California. Born in Long Beach, California. Don't know if I could manage away from the ocean. Kind of think I'd get the opposite of island fever!

Quote Originally Posted by Alessandra View Post
    Ahh, but I'm not a native Texan. I can never claim that. My kid does, but I was born and raised in Virginia Beach, Virginia. Man do I miss that place on hot days like today! Where's the ocean when I need a good swim Hey, you'd think with the amount of beef around here, people would jump right on this boat.

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    Chincoteague and Assateague - I've been there! What a surreal place. Sometimes I would wake up thinking about giant birds, jellyfish everywhere and horses that swim from island to island and think, that was a weird dream. Oh no, that was yesterday for real! And yeah, I miss those Virginia scallops so much. Bleh - nothing I've found on the west coast compares so far.
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I was born in San Francisco, and grew up in Northern California, went to school in Santa Barbara. I still think of myself as a Californian, even after 20 years in Texas. But I'm enough of a Texan to say y'all and to be in love with our big skies out here. And yes, you'd think Texans would be all over grass-fed beef. Maybe in the country, but most of the Texas population now lives in modern cities and suburbs, and they are all about convenience, baby, and packages of plastic-wrapped goodness. Very sad, when you think of the herds of buffalo that used to cover the central States. This entire country could go grass-fed, and improve the environment while improving our health. Instead, we are plowing under our blessings for the sake of corn and soybeans.

Sabine is offline Senior Member

Nothing like a lazy weekend

I really didn't do much this past weekend, and it was great. I feel rested.

The idea of fasting keeps playing around in my head. The few studies I've looked at indicate a protective factor for the body's cells after two or three days, so that's what I am considering.

But I have some CW concerns.

My honey and I were talking about the article in Harper's, and he asked what was the difference between fasting and anorexia. I felt it is a difference in motivation. Although some anorexics might use fasting, and some fasters might find themselves with anorexic proclivities, the goal of anorexics was to control: their body, their environment, their lives. The goal of fasters was improved health, weight-loss, cleansing, or spiritual enlightenment THROUGH a particular kind of control. I might be talking through my hat, but it felt like a difference to me.

I have two daughters at home. I feel that they have pretty healthy attitudes toward eating and their bodies. Although they do not eat strictly primal, they believe it is healthy, and limit their SAD stuff of their own accord. But they are out there in the world, exposed to all the low-fat, low-calories sqvatch that goes on. I wonder what message they might attach to a fast, regardless of what I say I am doing it for. I'm thinking of bringing up my fears about cancer (because of my father) and my hopes for cell-protection, but that's a heavy subject to get into. Doesn't feel like I can just whip it out any time. (And I am super-liberal, and regularly talk about politics, sex, religion, social mores, the whole shebang, at our dinner table. So this is definitely a biggie for me, if I'm reluctant to talk to my family about it. Might need to work through it more on my own, first.)

So I have been thinking of a stealth fast. Which goes against my like of openness, but, still, so tempting right now. Been thinking of our family's schedule, and which days it would be easy to avoid dinner(that's the only meal we all eat together). The Tuesday's when we have girl scout meetings(twice a month) are our crock-pot nights: everyone serve yourself when it is convenient, since we are not all in the house at the same time during the evening. And Wednesdays are gym night, when I usually eat early if I am going to work out with my honey. He eats when we get home, but I skip it, and the girls make their own meals. Logistically, I could fast Tuesday, Wednesday, and up to dinner on Thursday without making a deal of my plans.

Disadvantages: if you have to sneak something, you need to think twice about it. Doing a stealth fast seems wrong. I wouldn't be able to talk about it while I was doing it. Aauughhh! Is that even possible? No sympathy or help would be available to me.

Just writing all this down is clarifying my thinking. Guess I have to pony up and talk about fear of cancer with my children. I'm sure they'll be thrilled. There she goes again, with another one of her 'life lessons'.

In any case, no rush. The things in life that I have planned for, always go well. When I am impulsive and dive in, I usually don't get good results. So I'll keep thinking and planning.

Yesterday:

Up at 7:15
    Vitamins

1:00 1 slice roast pork
    1T stewed fruit and pork juices
    1/4C cauli-cheese
    1/2C grilled onions and red bell peppers
    1/2C carne asada
    2 BBBB
    2 squares dark chocolate (5gC)

3:30 3 slices lox with
    honey mustard

6:30 2/3C barbeque pork shreds
    1C whipped cream with
    sugar free chocolate pudding mix

15 minutes of sun

Bed at 10:00(reading a good book, couldn't put it down!)
    Last edited by Sabine; 03-26-2012 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Capitalization

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    Eh, sneaking isn't good. There's plenty of evidence out there that a weekly or monthly fast is good for your digestive system because it gives it a rest and several cultures improve their health with it. The alternate day fasting thing might freak your family out though. I'd say a weekly or monthly fast could be seen as fine. Some people find skipping lunch just as effective for reducing calories and improving insulin sensitivity and I'll bet your family wouldn't notice that while they're doing their own thing. Try the small stuff first. Alternate day fasting is a big lifestyle switch-up if you like eating meals with other people.
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

ecks is offline Senior Member
    The difference between fasting and anorexia is that anorexia is a mental disease not a physical one. Anorexics get trapped in a loop of "I'm too fat" "People are staring at me" "I have to be smaller"- Similar to a dieter except they go to extreme levels and still believe that they are fat when they are 90lbs because their mind distorts the image of what the "Fat" benchmark is".

Fasting is a once in a while break for your body. It's controlled and not harmful. The intention with fasting is not to lose weight (although that is a side effect). The intention is to let your body keep up with our continuous eating- It needs more time than we give it to digest properly.

I did a fast last week- the thing that scared me the most was that I wasn't actually hungry at all during the day. Caught a whiff of food at one point and that made me want to eat, but it wasn't a hunger want to eat but a "smells good" want to eat. Not being hungry all day essentially tells me that I didn't need to eat. I'll probably make the fast once a week now if I can.
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    I fast for 18- 24 hrs 1x/week. Is there any particular reason why you feel the need to fast 2-3days/ week? That is much more than most around here do.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

So cool you've been there. Almost no one has. Did some filming there when I was about twelve. We knew the people (the Beebe's) with the biggest oyster farm in the world. My mom and I got to eat them raw. Yummy. Swimming of the ponies was pretty cool. There was a hurricane while we were there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex26 View Post
    Chincoteague and Assateague - I've been there! What a surreal place. Sometimes I would wake up thinking about giant birds, jellyfish everywhere and horses that swim from island to island and think, that was a weird dream. Oh no, that was yesterday for real! And yeah, I miss those Virginia scallops so much. Bleh - nothing I've found on the west coast compares so far.

Good morning, Sabine --

Just thinking you could tell kids you wanted to try fasting and see what it was like. That's sort of simple and nice. I mean, you do want to try it and see what it's like, right? Like make it no big deal, but just that you're going to try it.

My dad died of pancreatic cancer last summer. So I know what missing that wonderful dad's like. Weird. Kind of figured he's last forever.

Hey, been catching little notes of acid reflux type stuff. Noted a lot of stuff in your diet that causes that quite naturally -- mustards, bbqs, asada, even onions and such. I'm going for one of those. Not at all suggesting you get rid of all the taste, but you might want to try something a bit blander a few days. I bet you wouldn't have it, and then you could let that worry go. I think you're doing great. Wonderful insights.

Oh, fasting can easily cause those acidy things; it's a natural. Just sipping water helps but doesn't always get rid of it when fasting.

theprimalcajun is offline Senior Member
    mornin' sabine!! I agree with Pam...just don't make it a big deal & say its something you're gonna try. Only you'll know if its time to tell the girls about your fears of cancer. I don't know how old they are but if they're too young they might start obsessing about it...that even you may get it...just some thoughts.

Pam...I'm so sorry to hear about your dad! {{{hugs}}}

Have a great day!! And make it stress free!! Its a beautiful new day that we get to shape how we want!!
    Goal: Don't worry be happy!