Page 22 of 416 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast

Thread: Show, then aid - Sabine page 22

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I would be very sad if it were the onions. Guess I would just resign myself to feeling gassy, because I LOVE onions.

Looking good.

I was perusing the forum this morning, and happened on a post by someone who was experimenting with going shampoo-less, and freaking out at the condition of her hair.

This is not to get on the case of people who are freaking out about their looks. I freak out plenty my ownself over various things. But it got me thinking.

Have we so conquered nature, genetics, our own human-ness that we NEED to look good all the time? Either to ourselves or others?

There is an unspoken agreement for most jobs, and even just being out in public, that we look presentable. Clean, and groomed to various degrees.

But what if we don't conform to the narrow idea of what that looks like. If your hair freaks out over baking soda, how does that change our situation? Will we lose a job because of a bad hair week? Will others think less of us?

Sadly, the answers might be 'yes'. Man is still a status pack animal, even in a modern democracy. And looks make up a good component of out status. People treat us certain ways, we even treat ourselves certain ways, based on how we look.

Will the subliminal thought be, how can she control the accounts, if she can't even control her hair?

Even a turban for the transition time, might be thought of as too strange. People might start thinking of you as 'that weirdo'. And (most) men can't even attempt the turban without extremer reactions.

Remember the flurry of news stories a few years back, about people shaving their heads in emotional solidarity with loved ones undergoing chemo? Bald became chic and acceptable, but only because of the underlying REASON.

Is our reason of wanting to be more primal regarding the amount of chemicals we put on our bodies acceptable to society at large? I think not. And face it, we still would have to provide the reason, for even a minimum of acceptance.

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    I would be very sad if it were the onions. Guess I would just resign myself to feeling gassy, because I LOVE onions.
    Don't worry too much. I still eat onions every now and then, but not too much. I used to sautee them into everything and then had GERD. That sent me down this weird path with HCl supplements that may/may not have been worth it. In the end I realized too much gas in itself can cause GERD and when I stopped putting onions into so many things my digestion got a lot better.
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

ecks is offline Senior Member
    Mmmm... onion. Mark had a posting a few weeks ago on high sulphur foods. Not sure if you caught it or not but hopefully it may gain some insite on the pros and cons of foods like onion in your diet.

Why You Should Eat Sulfur-Rich Vegetables | Mark's Daily Apple
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

theprimalcajun is offline Senior Member
    sabine...you are so deep sometimes!!! you amaze me!!

While I care how I look, its not something I stress out over. I want to look good because of the way it makes me feel...& for my hunny...but mostly for me.
    Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Alessandra is offline Senior Member
    Interesting point Sabine. That'll give me something to think about on the hike.
    Don't let nobody try and take your soul. You're the original . --Switchfoot- The Original

GW: 135 SW: 156.8 CW: 156.8

Alessandra- thanks for looking at my journal and commenting. I'm always surprised by how many Texans there are on the forum. Don't know why, as it is a huge state. I guess since I never meet any folk who are interested in primal living here in the suburbs, I assume they are thin on the ground in general. Enjoy your hike!
    PrimalCajun- if the thoughts are deep, it must be because they came to me in the tub. One thing I am really enjoying about the journal, is the chance to think out loud about topics i probably should have thought about long ago. I like looking good, but it has never been high enough on my priority list to put a lot of effort into. I am amazed at people who look pulled together ALL the time. About the best I can hope for is to be clean and color co-ordinated(mostly- I see no reason why orange and pink can't co-exist!).

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    Been reading Sabine's great journal and noticed this. Yep. Onions make me gassy too! I figure most everyone on here is from Texas and that you and ecks and I are holding up the edges! Wait. longing2bfit is from Northern California, isn't she?

Quote Originally Posted by Lex26 View Post
    Dairy can make me gassy, but I've also learned while studying my journal in the last three months that onions make me ULTRA gassy. Love em, but there's no mistaking it: They're probably my worst gas offender. Track how you feel the next time you eat dairy or a lot of onions.

Alessandra is offline Senior Member
    Ahh, but I'm not a native Texan. I can never claim that. My kid does, but I was born and raised in Virginia Beach, Virginia. Man do I miss that place on hot days like today! Where's the ocean when I need a good swim Hey, you'd think with the amount of beef around here, people would jump right on this boat.
    Don't let nobody try and take your soul. You're the original . --Switchfoot- The Original

GW: 135 SW: 156.8 CW: 156.8

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    Sabine --

Rolling in laughter of some of the journal threads here. The body parts' stuff is pretty fun! Glad some of you are checking into Old Fat Guy's journal. If you haven't, it's worth it. He's got a good head on his shoulders and a helluva sense of humor! And he loves goooood food!