Page 2 of 435 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Show, then aid - Sabine page 2

theprimalcajun is offline Senior Member
    Sabine can you pinpoint what you might have eaten that caused the heartburn? Could it be something spicy? I hope you feel better soon!!

I am so sorry for the loss of your dad & I know its not the same but here's a hug for ya!! {{{{{hugs}}}}}
    Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Sabine is offline Senior Member

Hugs are always good

Thank you, PrimalCajun.

It may have been the goulash, though I am the least spicy cook you would ever want to meet, so the dash of paprika in there is not like to have been the culprit. More likely the tomatoes and peppers, or, looking back at my paper journal, some cheese I ate. (oh, no, can cheese set off distress?!? Say it isn't so!) There is no clear all-the-time time/direct impact connection, though, to make me say, 'ah-ha, it's X'! Of course, it may be more than one thing, combinations, blow back from my last binge several days ago, who knows?

In any case, I woke up feeling better. Yay! I shall be cautious today, and throw out the last scrap of goulash just in case. So sad, it tastes fantastic.

Yesterday:
    Up at 5:15
    Vitamins

9:00 small Liquid Fat Bomb
    1 egg
    1/4 C coconut oil (oops- realized this is supposed to be coconut milk- still tasted great)
    1/4 C cream
    1/2 T vanilla (make my own, from pods and vodka- potatoes, they can be primal sometimes)
    1/2 pkt stevia

2:00 2 bowls of the aforementioned pork goulash (pork, tomaotes, peppers, onions, garlic, sauerkraut, paprika)
    and cauliflower cheese

bed at 9:30

I was doing child shuttling around dinner today, so I brought snacks: cheese, salami, and liverwurst. Just wasn't hungry, though, and with the heartburn bothering me, wasn't going to force it.

Stayed up later than usual, also. Just wasn't tired. Plus maybe the anxiety about the heartburn. I did sleep right through to my alarm this morning, which is unusual.

Leap Day

My computer was so slow yesterday, that by the time I read the day's article, checked the journals I am following, and laughed at the funny CW moments, that was it for computer time. So, no afternoon post. But I was thinking on it the whole evening. Demuralist had remarked on Pebbles' Bedrock Journal that she felt one of the reasons she had been able to stop bingeing was having a long list of go-to activities that she could do when the urge to eat-eat-eat came on her.

Two points of thought for me there. One, what would be on my list (started one in the evening), and two, is the desire to binge so physically separate from hunger, that activity can distract us? What kind of longing is in our soul, that we are stuffing down with food? Very philisophical musings ensued, but I need to save them for another time.

Right now...

Yesterday:
    Up at 6:00
    Vitamins
    Woke with no heartburn- yay! But it started up a little at 8:30.

9:45 homemade chicken broth with
    pesto - heartburn went away after this- yay again!
    11:15 broth and pesto again
    1:00 large t-bone steak with
    horseradish mayo
    4:45 granny smith apple
    almond butter
    6 slices salami
    2 slices liverwurst

6:00 went to the gym with my honey and did arm exercises interspersed with walking
    then I stayed up watching 'I Love You, Man' with him, so I went to bed late.

bed at 9:45

Today I am starting a trial month without dairy except for butter for cooking, and cream once in a while. So, I guess what I am saying is, no cheese for March. My honey was immediately concerned that this meant no cheese for HIM, but I reassured him on that score. The man loves cheese. Well, so do I. I went to a retreat last month, and as my contribution to general snacks, brought a lovely cheese plate: stilton, bleu, edam, brie, emmenthalar, and the hokey, but lovely, port wine rolled in almonds. Who can resist its fake red goodness?

Measurements

I weighed myself today, after doing the morning shuttle, and took my measurements. I've been doing so semi-regularly since I first tried primal living back in August last year.

Here are my measurements from August, back in January after my Christmas fall down, and this morning.

Date 8/7/11 1/23/12 3/1/12
    Weight 199 211 194.5
    Underarms 42" 41" 40.5"
    Ribcage 38.5" 37.5" 36"
    Waist 42" 40.5" 39.75"
    Hips 45.75" 44" 44"
    Thighs L-R 26-26" 25.5-25.25" 25-25.25"

Two notes:
    I am blessed with a mega rack, which makes measuring across my chest impossible. So I measure above and under my breasts, hence the Underarms and Ribcage.
    I find it very interesting that even though my weight went up (from 188 before Thanksgiving) due to my poor eating, my measurements did not. Lots of water weight, I guess. I am 'only' down 4.5 pounds from my official start, but 8.75".
    Okay, three notes:
    Yes, I do count quarter inches!
    Last edited by Sabine; 03-01-2012 at 01:17 PM.

Sruttin' my stuff

Yesterday:

Up at 6:06 This is not good. The :06 means I hit the snooze button.
    Vitamins
    6:30 2 1/2 bacon strips
    6 mushrooms fried in bacon grease
    3 eggs fried in lard

11:00 1/2 C almonds

2:00 salmon burger with
    1T vidalia mayo
    sauteed zuccini,
    peapods, and
    4 cherry tomatoes with
    butter and dill

6:10 roast lamb
    an artichoke with
    homemade mayonnaise!
    melted butter

Meant to go to bed at 8:30, and actually laid down then, but due to a household ruckus:
    Bed at 10:30.

Now about that strut.
    I was out getting lamb at Costco, and I realized I was walking around shoulders back, stomach in, feeling good. I think knowing my measurements are down, even after my many falls, must have affected my mood. Yay! I'll take it.

Tonight I am meeting with friends, so I know I will not be getting to bed on time. And I am doing child shuttling tomorrow morning, so no sleeping in. I think a nap is called for. Unfortunately, I am a horrible napper, and about the only way I can do it, is to take a shot of liquor. (Why yes, I AM a blast at parties.) We'll see.

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    Demuralist had remarked on Pebbles' Bedrock Journal that she felt one of the reasons she had been able to stop bingeing was having a long list of go-to activities that she could do when the urge to eat-eat-eat came on her.

Two points of thought for me there. One, what would be on my list (started one in the evening), and two, is the desire to binge so physically separate from hunger, that activity can distract us? What kind of longing is in our soul, that we are stuffing down with food? Very philisophical musings ensued, but I need to save them for another time.
    I found that taking sugar sources out of my diet and pretty much only eating meat and vegetables was a huge overeating deterrent in itself. Made a BIG difference and made eating healthy and in the right amounts a lot easier. But it doesn't completely free you of psychological triggers for snacking, so I like the go-to list idea. Also, don't hang out in your kitchen. Seems like a duuuuh idea but sometimes I'm working on my laptop at the dinner table and I notice I'm always more tempted to snack when I'm working there. If I'm in the living room engrossed in internet research, writing and reading, I can go long hours without wanting to eat. Hm, what would my go-to list be?

1. Shooting hoops
    2. Reading
    3. Taking a walk
    4. Organizing something
    5. Calling up a friend
    6. Taking care of planned exercise for the day

On the heartburn issue, sometimes it really can be a combination of things. Goulash is nightshade central too with the paprika, bell peppers and tomatoes, so you might want to observe your sensitivity to those vegetables/fruits. I've found that a lot of my reflux was mostly tied to too much gas caused by something I ate. I got concerned I had a FODMAP problem, and maybe I do to some extent. But one thing for sure has made a difference - not eating onions! Especially the white ones. Through some careful monitoring of what I was eating, I realized those onions didn't just produce a little gas, but a lot in my case. That kind of pressure in the gut can actually force things up higher into your esophagus.
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Lex, thanks for the insights.
    I had to smile at your #4. I love organizing things, too. Although I have found that as I have eaten /lived more primally, I have gotten more focused on various situations in my life, one of which is my CLUTTER! Since last August my house has gotten much more organized and stream-lined. I can actually see that in a couple of years, there will be nothing left to organize. Gasp! I'll have to make it my job then, and go out to organize others, as I get a lot of satisfaction from it.
    My main thought on the heartburn, which has only happened in the last year or so, is that I have damaged my system enough that things which previously were no problem, now are. So my main strategy, is to heal up, by changing the whole picture of how I eat. Maybe someday whatever is setting me off now, won't. Very reasonable, but surprisingly hard for me to remember when I am feeling the pain, and letting my imagination go wild. My first thought is usually: heart attack! Followed by: cancer!
    Writing it down, I see how silly it is, but in the moment, not so much. Something to gradually get over, I guess.
    I am hoping a year from now I will look back, and find it hard to remember when I last had some heartburn.

Planning to Succeed

This afternoon I am getting ready for a gathering of friends at my house. We meet once a month, alternating homes. Since going primal, I have mostly brought my dinner with me, as the usual fare is pizza, salad, and dessert. Awesome desserts! I have learned to bring something of my own, dessert-wise also, even if I KNOW I will not be hungry after dinner. It is still hard to see someone else eating chocolate brownie sundaes, and I'm sitting there with nothing. If I can eat some sweetened cream with berries, I don't get the emotional deprivation.

Tonight is at my house, and I am not having pizza. The last time I got some (for my honey, yeah, right) I ate some and bitterly regretted it, physically.

The menu tonight is:
    Tyson's tequila lime chicken wings (processed, but not too bad. We are a large crowd and I can't afford to do it all from scratch)
    Broccoli salad (also from Costco, with a sweet dressing, but everything else good)
    Baked potatoes(not for me- easy to pass up) with all the fixings
    Raspberries with slightly sweetened whipping cream

I feel good that I am preparing, and not saying, 'Oh, well, just this once.' I can find an excuse to say that every week, and though any individual indulgence is not so bad, getting back on track is very difficult for me. One meal becomes one day, one week...
    Last edited by Sabine; 03-03-2012 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Punctuation for clarity

Success!

Did it!

I ate what I planned, nothing more, felt good, and didn't have to think about it.

And had a great time with my friends. That has to be primal, too, right? Sitting in a circle, talking and laughing. A wonderful form of play.

The sleep is still off, as I stayed up late, having a good time, but I will get back on track with that tonight.

Here's yesterday:
    Up at 5:45
    Vitamins
    8:30 2 bacon
    3 eggs scrambled in
    butter
    1 leftover artichoke with
    homemade mayo (I am still jazzed that I finally made some!)

1:30 salmon burger with
    1/2 avocado
    2 C mixed veges-
    broccoli
    pea pods
    carrot
    water chestnut, sauteed with
    olive oil and oregano

7:00 9 chicken wings
    homemade buttermilk ranch dressing
    1 C broccoli salad with
    cashews
    craisins
    bacon
    sweet dressing (didn't even look at the ingredients: I knew it would be bad)

9:00 raspberries in
    a small amount of sugar-free gelatin
    whipping cream with
    a small amount of sugar-free cheesecake pudding mix

An 80/20 day for sure, primally, with those artificial sweeteners and thickeners. But plenty of good protein, fat, and veges. I feel happy about it. And my friends loved the food. Only, not enough potatoes for my honey, as the pan was too small. I'll have to make him a special potato feast with the leftovers tonight.

Bed at 10:45

I did wake up hungry this morning, I think from the combination of late eating, and the sweeteners, so I'm off to rustle up some eggs and veges.

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Nom nom - looks like it was a tasty day. Good on sticking to your guns! Are your sugar-free desserts made with stevia?
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Page 2 of 435 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast