Page 18 of 415 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast

Thread: Show, then aid - Sabine page 18

theprimalcajun is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I was so glad Mark did the loose skin article! I have been worried about just that! Now I won't worry about it anymore...one less thing to stress about! lol

jenn...I am also very prejudiced, after reading Mark's book & Wheat Belly & Robb Wolf's book. They are the 3 'standards' that I use against everything else I read. I've read Deep Nutrition by Dr. Cate & just bought her new book. Also got another new book in today called Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon. Its kind of a regular book & cookbook all in one. I just thumbed thru it earlier & it looks really good. Amazon loves me! lol Right now I'm reading Good Calories, Bad Calories.

These days all I want to do is sit around & read & research! Its amazing how many books are out there that talk about not eating grains/sugar etc but don't directly mention anything about "paleo" or "primal". They may mention hunter/gartherer's or ancestral health/diet but that's about it. That makes me appreciate Mark & Robb all the more for what they've done & tells me they are dead on right about the primal thing!
    Last edited by theprimalcajun; 03-20-2012 at 06:21 PM.
    Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Sabine is offline Senior Member

Book talk

My latest read is 'Warrior Diet'. It is quirky, and low on research, but a good starting point for thinking about eating. One thing I particularly liked was his division of eaters into 'predators' and 'scavengers'. The first target a specific prey, and eat mindfully, the second eat whatever, whenever. Just keeping that one concept in mind and following it could make a lot of changes in your diet. But after getting used to having sources oresented, I found myself questioning almost all his statements with an internal 'where's the proof'? Guess I am getting more analytical, and not willing to take anything on faith. Which is good for me.

I liked the information in 'Wheat Belly' but the format turned me off. It was too reminiscent of the diet books from the 70s and 80s, with its short chapters of someone suffering from a particular ailment, dropping wheat, and, voila! It almost felt cheesy to me. I would have preferred more biology. The stuff on how wheat has changed over the last 60 years was fascinating, though. I wish this was more widely known.

'Nourishing Traditions' is on my buy list, and 'Primal Mind, Primal Body'. So many books!

Yesterday:
    Up at 4:30 (dogs!)
    Vitamins (6:00)

8:15 3 bacon
    2 eggs scrambled in
    butter
    1T salsa

12:15 lamb chop
    1C zuccini
    2T marinara
    1/3C mixed nuts
    1 BBBB

3:45 beef patty with
    1C mushrooms, red onion, red pepper grilled in
    lard
    1T horseradish-mustard sauce(bottled)

6:15 1C beef and mushroom stroganoff

Bed at 9:15

Another light dinner. I felt a little gassy in the afternoon(the nuts, maybe?), and not very hungry at dinner, so again, just the bare minimum. Woke up still feeling a little 'off', so I am going to hold off on breakfast as long as I can. Tonight is gym night (my honey goes every week, I tag along once in a while). I've missed the last two, so I probably have to go for my own self-respect, but that means an early dinner, as by the time we get back, it is just too late for me. So, a two-meal day might be best.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I'm still reading the research on wheat, so I don't know how the rest of the book reads yet. From an agricultural and money standpoint, they did well by hybriding wheat, but since there was no study of how it affected animals or humans, they erred big time. I found it interesting that 2 slices of bread raises glucose levels higher than a candy bar! Interesting stuff.

I also find myself wondering where they got their figures, which is one thing I like about Wheat Belly - it cites everything. They even cited the University of Iowa!! I went to school there for a short time and am a proud Hawkeye!

Have a nice day!
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

More reading

On a local talk show this afternoon, the topic was...fasting!

The guest was Steve Hendricks, author of an article in March's issue of Harper's Magazine. Well, on top of Mark's recent posts, my interest was piqued.

By the time the interview was over, I was pulled into the parking lot of our local Barnes & Noble, waiting for the end of the show so I could dash in and buy the magazine.

Then I started reading (while I was eating lunch, oh, Irony, what a minx you are!). It's really good.

It addresses some history of fasting, effects, his own personal experience, the science.

As I've gotten to the point where I am not hungry enough to eat a square three meals all the time, perhaps it is just natural that the idea of fasting would intrigue me. But what really floats my boat is the idea of disease cure/prevention. Losing weight by fasting almost seems like cheating. (Don't get all riled, that's just my weird personal quirk. And I might overcome it. I used to think it was 'cheating' to wash my dishes a certain way, because it wasn't how I had been taught. Then I gave myself a sharp slap on the side of the head, and was better.) But I figure there is no such thing as cheating when it comes to CANCER.

More things to ponder.

theprimalcajun is offline Senior Member
    Sabine my interest is more & more being "piqued" about the benefits of fasting. I just read something myself that was so good & sent myself the link...I'll find it & post later. One of the case studies was a person extremely obese with a severe health problem...don't remember what it was...& they fasted for like a year. Yes you read right...it was done under extreme medical care of course...& supplemented with vitamins etc...but they didn't eat any food & they came out of it healthy & cured & skinnier of course! Not willing to attempt something that drastic but it was interesting. Wouldn't it be nice to not have to worry about cooking again?? lol

ahhhhh books! Almost as big a weakness as candy! All the books I'm reading now are about nutrition...not necessarily paleo/primal oriented. I have been amazed that so far they have all said about the same thing! How our bodies work & process foods...& how grains & refined sugar & other refined foods are so detrimental to our health. When franken foods became par for the course in our diets starting back in the 60's & they invented more & more as the years have progressed, we as a society became more obese & disease ridden! All the while the food giants make bazillions of dollars & we get sicker...which means we go to the doctor & are given medications by the tons...which in turn makes Big Pharma bazillions of dollars & we get sicker & need still more meds!! Its all a vicious circle. Lets face it Kellog's, Pepperidge Farms, Pillsbury ad nauseum wouldn't be able to stay in business if EVERYONE ate like we are!!!

Another book to add to your lists is Deep Nutrition by Dr. Cate Shanahan. Kinda deep (no pun intended!) but extremely interesting. Its one I'm gonna go back & read again. Loved Primal Body & Primal Mind!! She has a new book coming out later this year I think.

I'm going to see if that article in Harper's is online...if not when I go to town Friday I'll run to the book store & see if they have it.
    Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Gym Day

Every Wednesday night my honey goes to the gym.

He also rides his bike to work, 23 miles round trip, five days a week. He has a layer of fat (mostly near his stomach, yes, I worry) from his outrageous SAD snacking, but I feed him what good stuff I can, and he's an adult, you know the drill. And under that fat, he is seriously buff and strong. When you poke him, it is like a wall of bricks. He can lift heavy things, sprint, and last for a long time at tasks (minds out of the gutter, I know you were thinking it).

This is not my M.O.

But he really likes it when I go to the gym with him, so sometimes I do. So last night I lifted heavy things. And walked around the track between the heavy things, listening to my music. Sometimes fast, sometimes slow, depending on the terrain, animals to avoid, beautiful sunsets... I mean, the music. Do you ever pretend you are grokking? Sometimes walking to the store I imagine I am hunting a chicken, digging up carrots, finding a stray zuccini patch. My honey would probably be hunting down and lugging a rhino every Wednesday, if he had my imagination. I prefer the small, easier game. But, at least I went. And my arms are a little sore this morning.

Yesterday:
    Up at 5:30
    Vitamins

1:30 2 plates sashimi with
    1 piece chicken teriyaki
    1/4C rice
    1/2C creme brulee

2+ miles walking
    lifting heavy things

Bed at 9:00

Another short day. I am becoming more comfortable with not eating when I am not hungry. I knew I wouldn't be eating after the gym, didn't want to eat too close before it, so when I started getting hungry about 11:45, decided to have a mid-day feast to last the whole day.

And it did.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    What a fun description of your exercise last night. When I'm in the gym, I imagine picking up some of the men there and dragging them back to my cave. OK, that sounded wrong as I have a caveman of my own. I just like to imagine being strong enough to beat the "boys".

Books - I stopped in the middle of both Wheat Belly and Primal Body, Primal Mind. I was bored with the first. PBPM was so dense with info, I just needed a break.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Pebbles, I too have imagined myself dragging a couple of the cavemen at the gym home... one in particular. He looks like a professional wrestler I have the hots for - I live with boys... yes, we watch WWE wrestling every Monday night.

Wheat Belly is starting to get a bit draining but I'm trucking on b/c I know it's got some good info in it. It's because of that book that I have actually remained wheat free this week. I now consider wheat to be a FrankenFood since it's so far from it's original copy - much like gossip. lol

I too am becoming more comfortable with not eating when not hungry. My brain is still wired to eat at a certain time and it's like my brain has its own clock in there somewhere b/c the thought of eating will pop into my head and I'll look at the clock to see that it is indeed time to eat - if I do CW. Hunger is still weird to me, and almost panic inducing. Time... that's all it's going to take.

I hope you have a great day!!
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    so funny how much energy I used to spend to make sure I didn't get hungry! Planning and carrying stuff with me, etc. But hunger then was physically more intense, now it is a growl in the stomach, then it made me nauseous and dizzy. It helps to allow hunger if you know it will grrr and then go away if you are not ready as opposed to ruining your day.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

Pebbles, a bonus with our gym is that the walking/running track is elevated above and around the basketball courts. As I'm zipping around I can look down and view the specimens of manhood. Sometimes, they're pretty fine.

deMuralist- I was reading OldFatGuy's journal this morning, and he said something about how fasting freed up so much time, and that he found cooking a good way of 'wasting' time (paraphrasing). The amount of mental energy I used to spend around food is incredible. At first, when I wasn't obsessed with food, mentally or physically, I felt uncomfortable. I didn't know what to do with all that time/energy. But I did realize I don't want to be the kind of person who needs to 'fill' time. I want to enjoy my life, not just mark it. A super side-effect that I never would have expected from a 'diet'.