Page 176 of 433 FirstFirst ... 76126166174175176177178186226276 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,760 of 4326

Thread: Show, then aid - Sabine page 176

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm usually pretty easy going with bagging. So long as they don't break the eggs, squash Geek's bread, or maim my greens, I don't care.
    That said, when I say "it doesn't matter, throw it all in the same bag," that doesn't mean carefully wrap each item individually in it's own mini bag before sacking it all together. It means it's all going to the same place anyways, so I don't give a pile of rat feces whether the eggs touch the lettuce bag or the (bagged) bead is in the same bag as the meat. Just put it all in there. I don't need more trash bags (repurposed grocery bags.)
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Coll- I give the basic recipe in post #1749. Any type of tomatoes I have tried make a good soup.

It DOES drive me bananas when the bagger puts my things into extra plastic. For heaven's sake, I bring my own mesh bags, I am obviously dedicated to this no plastic thing. But it is only one bagger, and I consider him oblivious in any case, so that's just life, I guess.

I'm making some of the red pepper sauce to try on my fish for lunch, just waiting for the pepper skins to steam off.

Oops, a double post! Well, I'll just delete, and use the space to tell about my red pepper sauce.

I didn't use the jalapeno or onion, and it turned out just the right about of spiciness for me without it, and adding just three drops of Tabasco sauce. Delicious stuff. My only difficulty was that I made it in my Vita-mix, and the amount was a little small to get the blending going until I added the lemon juice and coconut milk. Also, I ate about two-thirds of it! Next time I'll make a double batch to solve both those problems.
    Last edited by Sabine; 12-12-2012 at 12:02 PM. Reason: double post

ecks is offline Senior Member
    Canadian law has all major canadian grocery stores to charge per bag. This doesn't include walmart grocery I'm assuming either because they're not canadian. Essentially though if I want a plastic bag I can pay 5 cents per bag. Or I can buy a cloth reusable grocery bag for a buck to three dollars. It's a no brainer to own the cloth reusable grocery bags but I have a bad habit of forgetting to bring them.
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    I kept forgetting my market bags until I started putting them right back in my car after unloading. I use 2 of these:
    Farmers Market Canvas Bag from Zazzle.com

Btw, Sabine, big fan now of your kale recipe, thx so much

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I switched to paper for a while. They stack so nicely in my trunk. And they recycle nicely with cardboard recyclables... but there are a few who will wrap my meats in plastic bags and place them in my paper bag... dude, unnecessary! I hardly ever catch them doing it so I don't realize it's been done til I get to my car.

A lot of our stores here have plastic bag recycling, so you just collect your bags and bring them back to the store, stuff them in the box and they remelt them and repurpose them... probably still adds a lot of polution by way of burning to melt the plastic down.

I need to recommit to paper bags. For a while there I got so annoyed with the baggers that I'd just use plastic to make it easy and get out of there.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

I generally only use plastic when I forget my bags or we need mini trashbags. I need to get better about putting my bags back in the back seat.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    The grocery here is horrible about bagging. Even if you bring your own bags, you have to be pretty forceful about getting them to use them. That annoys me more than anything. I mean, it takes like an extra nanosecond to take the bag either from me or from my cart. I don't appreciate the dirty looks I get when I give them my bags. Anyway.

Now at the food co-op, it's the opposite. You can hardly get a bag out of them. Once in a while I forget to bring my bag and I buy a fair number of things. They're like, "Do you want a bag?" like I've put human feces on the counter or something. Like I could carry out 20 items in my hot little hands!

I guess you could say I have bag issues.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

I generally don't give them the option to pass over the bags, because I put them right on top of all the food and stuff.
    My Primal Battle Tome

Since we're on the subject

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have a pretty good bag routine. I keep them in the back of my vehicle, grab them on the way into any store, put them in front of my purchases on the conveyor belts, usually bring enough for everything. I stack appropriately, so that I can grab the big things that don't need bags right off the belt and put them in my cart before the ever get to the bagger.

I understand that the checkers have a routine, and just reach naturally for the plastic, so I try not to mind reminding them, 'I brought my own bags'.

But it does drive me bats when I'm just getting one thing, so I don't bring in a bag, I tell the checker I don't need/want a bag, and they ask, 'are you sure?" Often, several times. What is with that? It is not like you are offering me something precious that I might be refusing out of politeness even though I really, really want it, like cheesecake, or Mr. Collins. IT IS A PLASTIC BAG! Yes, I'm sure.

Also, the gallon of milk is already wrapped in plastic and has a much better handle than the plastic bag. Leave it alone!

Eldest arrived last night, a little before ten. Much rejoicing in the house. Also, much barking. We got to meet Girlfriend, and will get to know her over the next week. I, of course, was barely awake at such an advanced hour, and she was pretty tired from 14 hours of driving (Eldest doesn't have his license yet). Littlest seemed to be recovered from her upset, and spent the night on Middlest's floor, specially cleared for the occasion.

Oh, yeah, that food stuff. Here it is:

Up at 5:30
    Weight:205.0

1:30 3/4lb tilapia fried in
    bacon grease
    red pepper sauce-yum!
    2/3 grapefruit
    1/4C glazed walnuts (12gC)

5:00 2 bratwurst
    1/2C homemade kraut
    1C primal trail mix

Walking: Officially none, but plenty of movement while cleaning and shopping. I'll call it good.
    Water: 10 glasses

Bed at 10:30

I made the goat stew(goat, squash, tomatoes, celery, marjoram, cinnamon) but ate my 'snack' of brats so late that I didn't want a dinner. Plus, Middlest was out, Honey was at the gym, and Littlest's stomach still felt off. So I just left it simmering in the crockpot in case Eldest and Girlfriend were hungry when they got here. Well, they stopped an hour and a half out, to grab a burger, so none for them. But when Middlest got home, she asked what was in the pot. I just said stew, and she ladled herself up a bowl, eating quite happily until Honey told her it was goat.

She has a soft spot for goats, having bought one as a present for a friend who likes to do charitable donation type things- buy a goat for a struggling family to raise and breed, you know. She made a joking ruckus, but still went back for a second bowl. So, I guess it was good. But I think this will turn into a family joke. I served her goat!

Also, a big thank you to Auto-Save, for preserving most of this post when my computer decided to reconfigure without my consent. Bless you and your designers!